AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-02, 22:26   Link #12881
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
See you don't understand. Muslims are less rational than a normal person, and you can't expect them to behave in a civilized manor when exposed to potentially provoking stimuli. Therefore, we need to treat them like wild animals and not provoke them in any way.

What gets me is this is actually implied in the statements of a lot of people who claim to be defending muslims. Personally, I think it's worse than the people who go around burning korans. At least they're open about their prejudice against muslims. The notion that muslims are especially prone to fits of anger, thus the pastor, as a rational person unlike those poor muslims is responsible is idiocy of the highest order.
... not sure how others see it but methinks it just read like a bad attempt at P.C.
Old 2011-04-03, 04:32   Link #12882
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Koran-burning pastor unbowed, vows new anti-Islam protest
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1968648/
Old 2011-04-03, 04:56   Link #12883
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
sounds like the guy is trying for a Darwin Award.
Old 2011-04-03, 05:05   Link #12884
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Well haters gonna hate. Why show/educate others to live civilized when you can inflame a religious war and much more hate instead. I am not christian, though I have this distinct feeling thats not the way the bible was meant to be interpreted. He is no better than a muslim extremist hate preacher.
Old 2011-04-03, 07:52   Link #12885
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
sounds like the guy is trying for a Darwin Award.
That wouldn't bother me much. the problem is that his antics have already caused the death of others. And that despite having been told of the possible consequences of his actions before his first planned attempt.
It's even more disgusting as he's certainly the kind of person to have "support our troops" stickied all over his windshield while deliberately fuelling antagonism.

Now I'm all for him doing the same thing, but only if he does it alone in the middle of Kandahar next time.
Old 2011-04-03, 08:00   Link #12886
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
Now I'm all for him doing the same thing, but only if he does it alone in the middle of Kandahar next time.
True, if he is doing it without protection, which he have right now in the US:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/us/03burn.html

Quote:
In recent weeks, Mr. Jones said, he had received 300 death threats, mostly via e-mail and telephone, and had been told by the F.B.I. that there was a $2.4 million contract on his life.

For protection, his followers — the 20 to 30 who are left — openly carry guns (they have licenses, he said) and have become more rigorous about checking their cars and visitors’ bags. Police protection is sometimes required when members travel, he said.

Last edited by ganbaru; 2011-04-03 at 08:48.
Old 2011-04-03, 11:48   Link #12887
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
That wouldn't bother me much. the problem is that his antics have already caused the death of others. And that despite having been told of the possible consequences of his actions before his first planned attempt.
It's even more disgusting as he's certainly the kind of person to have "support our troops" stickied all over his windshield while deliberately fuelling antagonism.

This.

Then I might think he was serious about what he believes rather than an attention-monger.
Old 2011-04-03, 12:01   Link #12888
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
This.

Then I might think he was serious about what he believes rather than an attention-monger.
can you actually BE an attention monger ?
doesn't a monger SPREAD something rather then hogging it all for themselves ?
Old 2011-04-03, 12:38   Link #12889
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
can you actually BE an attention monger ?
doesn't a monger SPREAD something rather then hogging it all for themselves ?
In that sense, advertising firms are attention mongers.
Old 2011-04-03, 15:20   Link #12890
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Saw this on another forum.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...289767034.html

Quote:
Transocean Cites Safety in Bonuses

Transocean Ltd. had its "best year in safety performance" despite the explosion of its Deepwater Horizon rig that left 11 dead and oil gushing into the Gulf of Mexico, the world's largest offshore-rig company said in a securities filing Friday.

Accordingly, Transocean's executives received two-thirds of their target safety bonus. Safety accounts for 25% of the equation that determines the yearly cash bonuses, along with financial factors including new rig contracts.

he payout contrasts with that for 2009, when the company withheld all executive bonuses after incurring four fatalities that year "to underscore the company's commitment to safety."

In a filing on executive pay, Transocean said, "Notwithstanding the tragic loss of life in the Gulf of Mexico, we achieved an exemplary statistical safety record." Based on the total rate of incidents and their severity, "we recorded the best year in safety performance in our company's history."
Yeah, they're the ones who were running the oil rig that exploded. Yes, the period in time the bonuses cover includes that incident.
Old 2011-04-03, 23:52   Link #12891
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

I think this sums it up:
Old 2011-04-04, 01:10   Link #12892
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Saw this on another forum.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...289767034.html

Yeah, they're the ones who were running the oil rig that exploded. Yes, the period in time the bonuses cover includes that incident.
This is why the line "we're just maximizing shareholder value" is such utter bullshit. The concept of a corporation has been completely hijacked by a small faction of "special players and executives"
Old 2011-04-04, 02:25   Link #12893
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
This is why the line "we're just maximizing shareholder value" is such utter bullshit. The concept of a corporation has been completely hijacked by a small faction of "special players and executives"
It's an insult to the families of the dead too. And they even witheld their safety bonus for four people dead in 2009, and now they're saying this was their best safety performance? I'm impressed
Old 2011-04-04, 03:28   Link #12894
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
"My God's better than your God."

... is pretty much what this amounts to, despite them essentially being the same juvenile, sociopathic, megalomaniacal deity starring in a violent, bloody, disgusting Bronze Age fairy tale.

Pot.

Kettle.

BLACK.

I actually sort of approve in a way, even though I highly disagree with his intentions. It really does show the world just how fucked up some crazy zealots can be. Death threats for burning a book? A $2.4 million dollar bounty on his head? Murders? For a burned book? Really?

For burning some paper and ink?

People get worked up over the stupidest shit.

Plus, they appear to be breaking their own dogma. They appear to be revering a book as their deity. Didn't Allah and Yahweh both say something about not worshipping idols?

Hypocrisy at its finest!

Edit: I'm pretty sick of the Western world jumping at shadows and freaking out every time anyone whines about Islam being persecuted. Those assholes need to grow thicker skin for serious.
Old 2011-04-04, 03:32   Link #12895
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Widespread cracks found on Southwest jet
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7311BW20110404
Given their past history ...
Old 2011-04-04, 04:55   Link #12896
Azuma Denton
~AD~

All this talking of burning reminds me to Qingming's Festival...
http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/...he-dead/433401

Come on Apple !!! Sue those people for replicating your iPad and burning it !!!
Old 2011-04-04, 05:00   Link #12897
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

With the current flood of hell money every Qingming, I think the currency is hugely deflated like the Zimbabwe's, only much much worse.

Burning them clothes and shoes, and a car, is a much better one. Though I wonder in hell, do they receive it as paper, or do they receive it as real, OR do they have to exchange them with Hades as a coupon?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-04-04, 05:07   Link #12898
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
With the current flood of hell money every Qingming, I think the currency is hugely deflated like the Zimbabwe's, only much much worse.

Burning them clothes and shoes, and a car, is a much better one. Though I wonder in hell, do they receive it as paper, or do they receive it as real, OR do they have to exchange them with Hades as a coupon?
I don't think they will meet with Hades, but instead they'll find Gu Mo Ong...
Old 2011-04-04, 06:32   Link #12899
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
"My God's better than your God."

... is pretty much what this amounts to, despite them essentially being the same juvenile, sociopathic, megalomaniacal deity starring in a violent, bloody, disgusting Bronze Age fairy tale.

Pot.

Kettle.

BLACK.

I actually sort of approve in a way, even though I highly disagree with his intentions. It really does show the world just how fucked up some crazy zealots can be. Death threats for burning a book? A $2.4 million dollar bounty on his head? Murders? For a burned book? Really?

For burning some paper and ink?

People get worked up over the stupidest shit.

Plus, they appear to be breaking their own dogma. They appear to be revering a book as their deity. Didn't Allah and Yahweh both say something about not worshipping idols?

Hypocrisy at its finest!
Both sides can act pretty poor and immature. One the one hand, you have guys like the one in the article who burns religious texts of others and calls them heresy. It kinda reminds me of something else that was done some time before (KKK burning crosses anyone?) and then you have the muslims you refer to who put a bounty on him for burning a book. Indeed, both Allah and Yahweh said to the followers not to worship idols (or at least, not to worship symbols of idols). I'm not sure about God because I distinctly remember that the bible preaches absolute loyalty to God or the wrath of hell will be upon you. All it is is haters doing what they do best: real life trolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Edit: I'm pretty sick of the Western world jumping at shadows and freaking out every time anyone whines about Islam being persecuted. Those assholes need to grow thicker skin for serious.
I wonder if that will ever happen while stories like this are what get people's attention and thus more views and ratings.
Old 2011-04-05, 04:58   Link #12900
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Moody's cuts Portugal, says bailout needed urgently
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7341AP20110405
Curious to see if it will have a impact in the euro...

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international