AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-10-22, 17:43   Link #1501
typhonsentra

Those are some rather ambitious numbers for an initial print. Don't most volumes of Naruto do around those kinds of numbers, and isn't that the top comic? I'm also pleased to see they plan to really push the books too as before this it appeared light novels were a completely failed experiment.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 18:30   Link #1502
Tunafishisgood
Tuna Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
http://www.publishersweekly.com/arti....html?nid=2789

Imagine the Haruhi Suzumiya novels becoming a household name for everyday, preteen girls!
you mean every preteenguys? XD although there are significant number of girls who likes Haruhi. This girl said it's cute.
Tunafishisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 19:12   Link #1503
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunafishisgood View Post
you mean every preteenguys? XD although there are significant number of girls who likes Haruhi. This girl said it's cute.
Yeah, older girls, not preteens.

And it's not like they don't know it's marketed towards guys...

Gah, I HATE BUREAUCRACY!
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 21:29   Link #1504
ijuinkun

Some folks seem to think that if the protagonist is a teenaged girl, then the readers must be too.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 22:00   Link #1505
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I just cannot imagine Haruhi being mainstream, it is like any animu and/or manga that goes mainstream all of a sudden brings in some fantards who just watch the anime. I mean no offense to anyone, I am as good of a fanboy as anyone here in this or any forum but still I just cannot imagine Haruhi being mainstream although I do imagine Naruto and Bleach but then again they are shonen action anime.
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-22, 22:24   Link #1506
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Some folks seem to think that if the protagonist is a teenaged girl, then the readers must be too.
She isn't even the bloody protagonist. Kyon is. She's just the title character.

Just because she drives the plot does not mean she's the main character.

Is Zelda the protagonist of the Legend of Zelda series?

Did these people even READ THE BOOKS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
I just cannot imagine Haruhi being mainstream, it is like any animu and/or manga that goes mainstream all of a sudden brings in some fantards who just watch the anime. I mean no offense to anyone, I am as good of a fanboy as anyone here in this or any forum but still I just cannot imagine Haruhi being mainstream although I do imagine Naruto and Bleach but then again they are shonen action anime.
Mainstream anime = shows designed to run for years in order to generate oodles of money.

Fact is, there's not that much "mainstream" anime.
Old 2008-10-23, 09:42   Link #1507
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Mainstream anime = shows designed to run for years in order to generate oodles of money.
And there are going to mainstream this?! I don't want the anime to go on for years and years if that how it is going to be! Inasmuch as I enjoy the novels, I really like it better if it just lasts for a few years and then we move on to the next thing.
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 10:03   Link #1508
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
And there are going to mainstream this?! I don't want the anime to go on for years and years if that how it is going to be! Inasmuch as I enjoy the novels, I really like it better if it just lasts for a few years and then we move on to the next thing.
Woooah, slow down there.

I didn't say Haruhi was mainstream, I said that to show why Haruhi isn't mainstream.
Old 2008-10-23, 23:19   Link #1509
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Besides... it's not like the series really needs to run "for years and years" in order to generate "oodles of money"...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 23:40   Link #1510
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Besides... it's not like the series really needs to run "for years and years" in order to generate "oodles of money"...
Hell, Haruhi's not running anymore and it's STILL generating oodles of money.

Goddammit, KyoAni...
Old 2008-10-23, 23:45   Link #1511
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
She isn't even the bloody protagonist. Kyon is. She's just the title character.

Just because she drives the plot does not mean she's the main character.

Is Zelda the protagonist of the Legend of Zelda series?

Did these people even READ THE BOOKS?
Which would be exactly the problem--i.e. that the advertising people create ads for a manga/novel/anime/whatever without actually knowing the content. Also, the media watchdog folks (and probably network executive folks too) will freely voice their like or dislike of it based solely on the rumors they have heard--such as how Pokemon must be all about summoning demons (!).
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-23, 23:48   Link #1512
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Which would be exactly the problem--i.e. that the advertising people create ads for a manga/novel/anime/whatever without actually knowing the content. Also, the media watchdog folks (and probably network executive folks too) will freely voice their like or dislike of it based solely on the rumors they have heard--such as how Pokemon must be all about summoning demons (!).
That's it. I'm going to sell my soul and go into advertising, to make sure these people stop making idiots of themselves.
Old 2008-10-24, 00:21   Link #1513
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
I'll also add that yes, Zelda is the protagonist of his games... just like Metroid and Halo are guys in robot suits...

This message brought to you by someone who probably needs sleep.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 00:27   Link #1514
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
I'll also add that yes, Zelda is the protagonist of his games... just like Metroid and Halo are guys in robot suits...

This message brought to you by someone who probably needs sleep.
Exactly my point, thank you. Get some sleep.

Just because a character or thing is in the title does not mean they are the main character. It means they are IMPORTANT, and in the case of distinct characters usually makes them unkillable, but it does not mean that they are the main character.

Are you reading this, American localizers? GO TO HELL.
Old 2008-11-01, 08:59   Link #1515
typhonsentra

And the manga came out with the novel preview. It looks decent but the novel translation appears to take several liberties (Nothing too major) when put side by side with the B-T translation.
Old 2008-11-01, 11:03   Link #1516
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
And the manga came out with the novel preview. It looks decent but the novel translation appears to take several liberties (Nothing too major) when put side by side with the B-T translation.
Examples, please?
Old 2008-11-01, 14:07   Link #1517
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Considering the quality of some of the latest B-T releases, that might not be a bad thing (Although I've seen some pretty crappy translations).

But of course there are going to be difference in translation when 2 people do it. Language cannot be translated literally, and babel fish clearly shows you the kind of crap you get when you do it that way. Lotta room for interpretation.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-02, 11:14   Link #1518
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Examples, please?
The two examples that popped out right away at me was Kyon giving a nickname to the principal (Principal Toupee) and him saying he'd pick Ryoko over Haruhi (She was a "Hottie".).

Last edited by typhonsentra; 2008-11-02 at 17:40.
Old 2008-11-02, 11:21   Link #1519
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

When I read my chinese volumes, I already found quite a few slangs and stuff that's very different from what the characters said in Japanese. I think I'll probably skip the English version, for my contribution to Haruhism has been quite an amount lol
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-02, 17:37   Link #1520
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
The two examples that popped out right away at me was Kyon giving a nickname to the principal (Principal Toupee) and him saying he'd pick Ryoko over Haruhi (She's was a "Hottie".).
Is this the translation they're advertising to fans of Miley Cyrus or the one they're doing for the Haruhi fans?

If it's the latter, they're not getting my money.

"Principal Toupee"... the fuck.

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga