Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-07-01, 22:04   Link #2481
BleedingUranium
Who has the most fun wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
There's always the source link you can go to.
I also copy-pasted that and always get a "403 Forbidden" message. Pixiv always seems to do this, but works if I manually go to the picture in question through the artist's page (assuming I know what to look for, of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
@BleedingUranium Personally, I will translate 吹奏楽部 to concert band while brass band should be 金管部.
吹奏楽 is literally wind music.

金管楽器 are brass instruments while 木管楽器 are woodwinds instruments.
Interesting. I (just now again) copied 吹奏楽部 (Suisōgaku-bu) into Google Translate and is gives Brass Band, yet removing the 部 / -bu / Club suffix (a character I can recognize) changes the translation (for Suisōgaku) to Wind Music. I'll leave determining exactly what type of bands they are up to you guys then.
BleedingUranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 22:06   Link #2482
Shirohige

I think it's pretty obvious which pairing wins over here.

It's KumiREi duh. What even are those Shuiichi/Kumiko and Taki/Reina moments lol.
Shirohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 22:12   Link #2483
relentlessflame

*Administrator

If people would like to have serious discussions about the content of the anime, please be my guest. But please avoid vapid shipping posts and pointless personal arguments.
Old 2015-07-01, 22:35   Link #2484
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingUranium View Post
I also copy-pasted that and always get a "403 Forbidden" message. Pixiv always seems to do this, but works if I manually go to the picture in question through the artist's page (assuming I know what to look for, of course).

Interesting. I (just now again) copied 吹奏楽部 (Suisōgaku-bu) into Google Translate and is gives Brass Band, yet removing the 部 / -bu / Club suffix (a character I can recognize) changes the translation (for Suisōgaku) to Wind Music. I'll leave determining exactly what type of bands they are up to you guys then.
Brass band is of course acceptable for 吹奏楽部, but it's more of a loose term and not as accurate. Brass bands are more accurately used for bands with only brass instruments + percussion (no woodwinds like clarinet, oboe, bassoon, flute, sax, and also no contrabass). Apparently, this seems to be the usual case for elementary school bands in Japan.

Concert band is a more generic term that fit most band portfolios. They consist of brass, woodwinds, percussion sections, and one or two double bass (ie. contrabass).
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 22:41   Link #2485
BleedingUranium

Quote:
Brass band is of course acceptable for 吹奏楽部, but it's more of a loose term and not as accurate. Brass bands are more accurately used for bands with only brass instruments + percussion (no woodwinds like clarinet, oboe, bassoon, flute, sax, and also no contrabass). Apparently, this seems to be the usual case for elementary school bands in Japan.

Concert band is a more generic term that fit most band portfolios. They consist of brass, woodwinds, percussion sections, and one or two double bass (ie. contrabass).
Ah okay, that makes sense.

What type of band would we have if there were things like violins, cellos, and piano? From my not-a-concert-band-expert perspective, I found it interesting there are almost no stringed instruments.
Old 2015-07-01, 22:45   Link #2486
larethian

^ those are string ensembles and centered on string music, not wind music. You can of course have symphony orchestras that have everything.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 22:58   Link #2487
BleedingUranium

Quote:
^ those are string ensembles and centered on string music, not wind music. You can of course have symphony orchestras that have everything.
In that case, symphony orchestras would be what I was thinking of. Thanks.
Old 2015-07-01, 23:08   Link #2488
Bordix

Do people really think that Hazuki is still gunning for Shuu even after that talk between her and Kumiko in episode 9? That would make her a liar and a hypocrite. Hazuki helping him out with the bags is just her own way of comforting him since she still notices the awkardness between him and Kumiko.
Old 2015-07-01, 23:17   Link #2489
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordix View Post
Do people really think that Hazuki is still gunning for Shuu even after that talk between her and Kumiko in episode 9? That would make her a liar and a hypocrite. Hazuki helping him out with the bags is just her own way of comforting him since she still notices the awkardness between him and Kumiko.
She also went out of her way to give Kumiko and Reina pattern-matched charms. And, besides, she and Midori have been quietly supportive of Kumiko's efforts to get closer to Reina as of late (for example, they backed her desire to have lunch with Reina, and covered for her when she went to Reina during the re-audition episode.) So Hazuki could be forgiven for thinking that the path to Shuuichi might someday open up. I mean, if a whole bunch of random interweb people are willing to argue about the merits of Kumiko x Reina until they're passed out in front of their computers, Hazuki could certainly be forgiven for thinking that Kumiko's made up her mind for the time being.
Old 2015-07-01, 23:42   Link #2490
Bordix

They (Midori & Hazuki) has been pushing Kumiko towards Reina since the first episode. They know what happened in the past and is just helping Kumiko recouncil with her. I doubt they're shipping them.
Old 2015-07-01, 23:46   Link #2491
BleedingUranium

Quote:
I wouldn't say "gunning for", she's aware that at least right now he's not interested, but that doesn't mean her crush just disappears. Just this episode we see it three times: sitting in the band room while Shuuichi himself is looking at Kumiko (I just posted a screenshot above), when loading instruments together, and the tone of voice/mannerism she uses when mentioning she has to give him his Custom-Painted Friendship Yoyo.

She's not really going after him, but she's certainly still using every opportunity to look at him, be around him, and do stuff for him. She's spending time around her crush to make herself happy, not because she really believes it will go anywhere.

Did anyone else notice that in the group shot at the end of the credits, Shuuichi has his arms around Chikao (his male first year buddy), and Taki?
Old 2015-07-01, 23:48   Link #2492
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Do people really think that Hazuki is still gunning for Shuu even after that talk between her and Kumiko in episode 9? That would make her a liar and a hypocrite.
Only if she still believed that her prior evaluation of the various relationships was still correct. Also, only if she was still actively trying to ask him out, rather than carefully probing to see where things really stand.

Quote:
Hazuki helping him out with the bags is just her own way of comforting him since she still notices the awkwardness between him and Kumiko.
I don't see it as 'comforting', per se, though it's similar to my impression. It's more of a subtle reminder that she still exists, and isn't actively avoiding him despite the festival incident (in contrast to Kumiko) — that she doesn't hold that against him.

From episode 9, Hazuki told Kumiko that she'd actively support her getting together with Shuuichi. However since that time, what has she seen? Several weeks of Kumiko constantly, actively avoiding the boy, while at the same time constantly wanting to be with Reina (eg: school lunch, audition). Meanwhile, Shuuichi is still moping over Kumiko.

Ever since the festival, it was pretty obvious to Hazuki who Shuuichi was interested in. Hazuki's interest in Shuuichi, and her friendship with Kumiko, means she's always paying attention to the both of them. She's not going to stand between them when it seems they might be interested in each other. But if she was mistaken, and there's really nothing between them... If he notices her and starts thinking of her of his own free will, then perhaps..

Whether it will happen is something else entirely. However Hazuki is certainly making sure that the path is still possible, without getting directly involved in whatever's going on between Kumiko and Shuuichi. At the same time, if it doesn't turn in that direction, she hasn't lost anything, and has perhaps built a better friendship with him.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 23:53   Link #2493
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Did anyone else notice that in the group shot at the end of the credits, Shuuichi has his arms around Chikao (his male first year buddy), and Taki?
Actually, yes. Had to double-check a couple times to make sure it was really him, there. Was surprised because Shuuichi really didn't strike me as the type to hang over Taki-sensei like that, though being close buddies with Chikao was completely expected.

Last edited by Kinematics; 2015-07-02 at 02:25.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-02, 00:48   Link #2494
Bordix

Quote:
I wouldn't say "gunning for", she's aware that at least right now he's not interested, but that doesn't mean her crush just disappears. Just this episode we see it three times: sitting in the band room while Shuuichi himself is looking at Kumiko (I just posted a screenshot above), when loading instruments together, and the tone of voice/mannerism she uses when mentioning she has to give him his Custom-Painted Friendship Yoyo.

She's not really going after him, but she's certainly still using every opportunity to look at him, be around him, and do stuff for him. She's spending time around her crush to make herself happy, not because she really believes it will go anywhere.

Yes yes Im not saying that the attraction is gone, just that she's not pursuing him at this moment. Hazuki has been presented to be a straight foward genki girl that can see through Kumiko at times. And this is why I trust her assessment towards Kumiko regarding her feelings.

Yeah I saw that. Also when Shuichi nails his part with the trombone Taki-sensei flashes him a smile.
Old 2015-07-02, 06:49   Link #2495
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Well the teacher was an ass there was to many characters and seemed to move faster at the end

6/10 Well I think this was trying to be just like K-On
Errr, how is it trying to be like K-ON! when there's a clear goal and progression that's been made in a competition?
Old 2015-07-02, 07:18   Link #2496
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
Ever since the festival, it was pretty obvious to Hazuki who Shuuichi was interested in. Hazuki's interest in Shuuichi, and her friendship with Kumiko, means she's always paying attention to the both of them. She's not going to stand between them when it seems they might be interested in each other. But if she was mistaken, and there's really nothing between them... If he notices her and starts thinking of her of his own free will, then perhaps..
I'm not going to lie, I was more afraid of Hazuki AFTER her rejection than before for pretty much the above reason. (Hell if I was going to admit that during the airing though ) I thought she would totally give up on Shuichi, but instead she says she will 'support' Kumiko whenever she comes around? And that there still is still some 'probing' by her to see if she still has a chance?

Basically, Hazuki is acting like the scorned childhood friend who would wait for however long, but supports who her LI really likes just because she wants her loved one to be happy. (You know, exactly the type of childhood friend that fuels the myth that childhood friends rarely wins?) See, I was afraid that Shuichi will start noticing her as a pseudo-childhood friend during the time Kumiko wouldn't give him the time of day.

Thankfully, Kumiko did start talking to him again, which completes the pattern Kumiko and Shuichi's story has always been. That is, 'high' into 'conflict' into 'low' into 'reconciliation' into 'high' again, and the cycle continues (like a wave function if one wants to visualize this). This is done in the story chronologically by...

high - the two are close enough that Kumiko asks if Shuichi will be coming to dinner
conflict - where Shuichi says something stupid
low - the time where Kumiko is especially cold to Shuichi
reconciliation - Shuichi trying to make 'peace offerings' by giving Kumiko info
high - Shuichi and Kumiko are starting to talk normally by the riverside
conflict - the whole festival incident
low - Kumiko isn't talking to Shuichi, but shows signs that she misses him
reconciliation - starting from the bridge into just before the competition itself

This is a pattern that's used by a lot of works in order to stretch their romance sub-plot throughout the entire story. It's really evident in western soaps/teen romance and k-dramas where they take this pattern ad infinitum, but you can see it all the time in anime as well (harem is especially guilty of this). I wouldn't be surprised if the same pattern continues in the next two books of Hibike (or cours if we ever get them); in fact, that is exactly what I'm expecting.

Thing is, this pattern is usually reserved for the main couple, where they finally break the cycle at the end of the story by being 'official'. As such, this is a HUGE part why, despite me not wanting to not raising my expectations because I'd feel so upset if I was disappointed, that I made the claim that KumikoXShuichi are 'pretty much set in stone'.

So I'm not afraid of Hazuki anymore, as I think she'll play a major role again in this pattern, by way of support or instigator. Heck, she may even be the catalyst that breaks the pattern and allows the couple to sail.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-02, 07:40   Link #2497
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

If this Eupho hustle doesn't work for Kumiko, she can get into singing. Her character song CD is pretty cool. Can't wait to hear Reina's.

blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-02, 08:27   Link #2498
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
This is a good finale. It concludes the seaon, have solved most of the threads while leaving enough for a possible next season. For the first time, the "losers of Kitauji" have felt a taste of victory, a sweet taste that they may not tire of until they get to the nationals, and possibly win it.

Rather the end, it was the end of a beginning.

I cannot express enough my appreciation for Taki-sensei. He was the character who glued most of the ensemble, pushed them to up their game and whipped them in shape. We need more characters like him. Thank you, Taki-sensei, my unsung hero.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-02, 08:45   Link #2499
Arya

^ Yep, without Taki-sensei nothing of it would have happened. He did an awesome job.

Quote:
This is purely my speculation as there are 3 books for the main story [...] Sorry I didn't give the disclaimer.
No, no, I didn't mean to be serious at all about Asuka or anything. So no need to apologize at all. I mean, I was just babbling about next seasons as usual when a series end, but to me it was clear that, whenever a next season will air, Kumiko will be the protagonist and Asuka will be be a side character. But I also would think that she may skip a season, if she really will transfer, even if I'd consider it a shame.
I was carefree, but I should have known better, as you have been, considering all the serious business going on in the thread
On the other hand, the first words I spotted the very moment I saw your reply were, Asuka, then a spoiler tag and KimiUso ... I let you image what was my first thought, so whatever came after has been a plus in any case

About Shuuichi I want to remember that he will be always a possibility. That's the first and most prominent/strength of the childhood friend's traits. That's why I find them usually boring, but I never turn my back at them. They rely on that fact to back up their romance and can backstabbing you any moment

On a more serious note about him, I really liked how he always never put her on top, the way he didn't catch Kumiko's hand kept his trend in this behavior. He has is drive and is not Kumiko, as it always should be.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-02, 10:05   Link #2500
Sixth
Hu Tao

^ He is probably treated Kumiko as object of lust/trophy when he is free.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
band, high school drama, music, orchestra