AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2018-01-24, 08:01   Link #601
Tenzen12

Well, it certainly would solve problem of goblins not being taken seriously. It doesn't change that getting hold rank is not just useless to Orcbolg but right down disadvantageous.

Different matter would be if his gold rank were only symbolical and he could keep his freedom to act however he want.
Old 2018-01-24, 12:45   Link #602
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I think the direction of the story seems to be kill goblin and solve major national issues along the way so far judging by the manga so far(please no novel spoilers). First was the ogre, then the goblin lord invasion and now a mysterious collaborator infiltrating the town with goblin pirates.

If this go way over the top, GS might end up saving the nation along the way just by hunting for goblins.
Old 2018-01-24, 12:56   Link #603
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
I think the direction of the story seems to be kill goblin and solve major national issues along the way so far judging by the manga so far(please no novel spoilers). First was the ogre, then the goblin lord invasion and now a mysterious collaborator infiltrating the town with goblin pirates.

If this go way over the top, GS might end up saving the nation along the way just by hunting for goblins.
He kinda did already though, even when we limited only to manga, whether the ogre or the lord are both actually capable of threatening a nation, especially the lord, there was case when they did, remember what GS rated them, platinum rank.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-24, 13:36   Link #604
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

True enough but it will be quite deserving if Orcbolg was promoted to Gold Rank and he will be called for more goblin slaying quest by many towns. Surely he will be happy to see more prey to hunt and also he can investigate more about goblins.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-24, 14:41   Link #605
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
True enough but it will be quite deserving if Orcbolg was promoted to Gold Rank and he will be called for more goblin slaying quest by many towns. Surely he will be happy to see more prey to hunt and also he can investigate more about goblins.
if he wants to kill gobs, he is better off, teaching a course for beginners on how to deal with gobs. The more beginners survive their baptism by goblin the more goblins are kill.
Old 2018-01-24, 16:52   Link #606
Tenzen12

Exactly, another thing is Gold rankers are slaves of bureaucracy he could be sent to kill some goblinless demon lord or even be forced stand idle instead of killing these pests. Gold rank adventurers don't work on common folk requests but on orders of ruling cast that decide what need to be done.
Old 2018-01-24, 19:21   Link #607
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
if he wants to kill gobs, he is better off, teaching a course for beginners on how to deal with gobs. The more beginners survive their baptism by goblin the more goblins are kill.
But in the time it takes to train them, more goblins are killing more people on the frontier, where they are the biggest threat. He even points that out as to why he didn't care about the Demon Lord when he first accompanied the others. He's got songs about him so people know where he is if they have Goblins in need of slaying, hence also why they found him in the first place. Instead, have someone else teach them newbies how to kill the Goblins. Priestess can pass on her knowledge, which also puts her out of danger of being Gobbed, while he keeps killing. Best of both worlds.
Old 2018-01-24, 20:29   Link #608
Ramero

The best thing is to let the "rookies" join on GS party to show how GS slay them.
Old 2018-01-24, 20:33   Link #609
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
But in the time it takes to train them, more goblins are killing more people on the frontier, where they are the biggest threat. He even points that out as to why he didn't care about the Demon Lord when he first accompanied the others. He's got songs about him so people know where he is if they have Goblins in need of slaying, hence also why they found him in the first place. Instead, have someone else teach them newbies how to kill the Goblins. Priestess can pass on her knowledge, which also puts her out of danger of being Gobbed, while he keeps killing. Best of both worlds.
he can do both.

Quote:
The best thing is to let the "rookies" join on GS party to show how GS slay them.
a few hours explaining things then some real experience clearing out a goblin cave. And if there some victim already in that cave, it gives clear answer to what failing on the job would mean for the rookies.
Old 2018-01-25, 06:31   Link #610
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

I think the author have already established GS as an insane Punisher in a DnD world that only wants to kill and wipe out goblins himself. Grand strategy to cause extinction of the goblins is probably a bit out of his mental capacity right now.

Though one of arc's epilogue had Guild girl showing GS the budding training program for newbie. Maybe he'll retire in the future and be an instructor? Seems a bit too happy ending for GS though.
Old 2018-01-25, 08:47   Link #611
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
So who is going to take the responsibility if the "rookies" somehow got killed during their internship with GS?
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-25, 09:07   Link #612
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
I think the author have already established GS as an insane Punisher in a DnD world that only wants to kill and wipe out goblins himself. Grand strategy to cause extinction of the goblins is probably a bit out of his mental capacity right now.

Though one of arc's epilogue had Guild girl showing GS the budding training program for newbie. Maybe he'll retire in the future and be an instructor? Seems a bit too happy ending for GS though.

Nah,Orcbolg hate goblins that's for sure, but it is quite clear that protecting people from them is as much if not important to him. When he is asked to do generic adventuring he refused reasoning villages would be destroyed.

I can certainly see him helping train newbies if it means more people will be able go against green threat and survive. If more people were able do job he could have more leeway too.
Old 2018-01-25, 12:31   Link #613
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
So who is going to take the responsibility if the "rookies" somehow got killed during their internship with GS?
the same people who is taking responsibility right now, themselves.
Old 2018-01-25, 12:43   Link #614
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
the same people who is taking responsibility right now, themselves.
Yep, those who want to follow his footsteps must be ready to get killed.
Old 2018-01-25, 13:40   Link #615
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
still better chance then if they went in themselves.
Old 2018-01-30, 06:55   Link #616
Lhklan
The Unpronounceable

Spoiler for GS Chapter 20:
Old 2018-01-30, 08:34   Link #617
Tenzen12

Quote:
Those who want be adventurers, must be ready to be killed. Goblins are neither only nor most dangerous foe. Quite opposite goblins are weak and stupid (even if they are not fools). Get basic goblin slaying skillset, don't get cocky and you are not even in danger. If "students" were to follow orders, they wouldn't be even in danger. Priestess is living proof that even noob can do that much.

It's not goblins power that kills adventurers, it's adventurers ignorance and recklessness.
Old 2018-01-30, 08:55   Link #618
Random14

That kind of goes back to the systemic mismatch between the rewards for goblin quests and the danger. Individually goblins aren't that big a threat, but whole nests are very dangerous. However since most goblins prey on poor villages there are relatively little rewards for that kind of troublesome quests, and the lucky/skilled ones who survive move on to more efficient quests.

It would be interesting to see more training, like originally Guild Girl tried to warn Priestess' first party not to go, but well, youth and naivete. But then adventurers are basically all freelancers, its not like they're an army with basic training and the guild mostly just acts as a hub/mediator rather than leadership (though they maintain standards and some rules).

I kind of hope the prequel manga covers Goblin Slayer's promotions. I doubt he was interested in Silver rank at all, as long as he killed the goblins.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-31, 22:06   Link #619
Twi

... Is it odd I prefer the introspective that Priestess had in Chapter 20 more than the fanservice?
Old 2018-02-01, 01:15   Link #620
Wheeljack83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
... Is it odd I prefer the introspective that Priestess had in Chapter 20 more than the fanservice?
No. The writing for this story is awesome. It has fan service and harem elements, but it's very well written and that's why it's growing in popularity. Like the story reaches beyond those elements that some fans find polarizing or detriments to stories like this.

Like yeah, you see these two naked girls in a bath, but as we get a closer look, we see that the Sword Maiden is wearing the scars of a traumatic event. It's more than just titillation.

I'm not going to be grandiose and be all like "it's fan service that has a point!" But there's a point to Priestess and Sword Maiden sharing a bath.

Twi, you simply realize the value of this story's great writing.
Wheeljack83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dark fantasy, harem, mature content, tragedy