Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-19, 22:36   Link #121
Jiji
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I'd rather day it's Shinbo just having fun with clocks.
Sorry to skip back to clocks, Michael, but does anyone know if that spectacular "screaming" clock Yunocchi borrowed from Miyako for ep 9 or 10 is actually made? I laugh myself silly every time I watch that episode, and I would buy one in a heartbeat.
Spoiler for clock:
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-20, 15:42   Link #122
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiji View Post
Sorry to skip back to clocks, Michael, but does anyone know if that spectacular "screaming" clock Yunocchi borrowed from Miyako for ep 9 or 10 is actually made? I laugh myself silly every time I watch that episode, and I would buy one in a heartbeat.
Spoiler for clock:
I'm pretty sure there are clock's available that scream like that --- have you done a google search for one?
Old 2008-07-20, 22:59   Link #123
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for Episode 3:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 02:16   Link #124
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Wow... episode 3 was just all sorts of awesome. The level at which it became really endearing just rose by quite a lot. So much to enjoy here, especially when it comes to Miyako's unintentional pranks. Still, there were a few areas in which I had a bit of difficulty following the flow of the conversation. That, and

Spoiler for Hidamari ep 3:

Oh well, no complaints from me regardless.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 03:53   Link #125
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In Japan, I think a growing nose has more to do with being overly prideful? Full of oneself? I've seen the same nonsense in Lucky Star and another anime or two.
Old 2008-07-21, 05:45   Link #126
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
In Japan, I think a growing nose has more to do with being overly prideful? Full of oneself? I've seen the same nonsense in Lucky Star and another anime or two.
Vexx is correct --- it wouldn't make sense if it was to do with something she's lied about.
Old 2008-07-21, 06:06   Link #127
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Hmmm... The whole 'girls meets sketchbook girl' scene wasn't as great as Sketchbook's one IMO. Not a bad episode, but all we got was Yuno acting spaceheaded and that little girl scene. Now I see why Hidamari Sketch was not as well received as some of the more frantic comedy slice of life style anime.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 06:44   Link #128
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Not a bad episode, but all we got was Yuno acting spaceheaded and that little girl scene. Now I see why Hidamari Sketch was not as well received as some of the more frantic comedy slice of life style anime.
That's all that was needed in this episode. Just because there was more to do with 'girl meeting girl with a sketchbook' in Sketchbook doesn't mean it has to be the same in every show.

Anyway, it's special in Hidamari Sketch when the four main characters talk about the events that have happened on that day, what always seems to happen in the second part of the episode.

Eh, i just don't see how Hidamari Sketch wasn't as well received because of a scene like that.
Old 2008-07-21, 06:53   Link #129
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
That's all that was needed in this episode. Just because there was more to do with 'girl meeting girl with a sketchbook' in Sketchbook doesn't mean it has to be the same in every show.
No need to be the same, but Sketchbook just did it so deftly. In this one, we just see the scene and that's it. Not much of a followthrough.

Quote:
Anyway, it's special in Hidamari Sketch when the four main characters talk about the events that have happened on that day, what always seems to happen in the second part of the episode.

Eh, i just don't see how Hidamari Sketch wasn't as well received because of a scene like that.
I think this show feels quite a bit more slice of life-esque in the way the characters talk. I think that's just a way for it to be a love it or hate it deal instead of a show that tries to aim more for visual stimulus or comedy (both cases, like in Sketchbook). Like you say, the difference is that Hidamari concentrates more strictly on the girls than the circumstances that they confront.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-21, 13:00   Link #130
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
In this one, we just see the scene and that's it. Not much of a followthrough.
I get what you're saying, though everything that happened after the little girl's scene was just as important as more scenes with the girl. They went into detail on what that drawing meant to the girl. I just think how it was done here, and Sketchbook are about the same.

Quote:
I think this show feels quite a bit more slice of life-esque in the way the characters talk. I think that's just a way for it to be a love it or hate it deal instead of a show that tries to aim more for visual stimulus or comedy (both cases, like in Sketchbook). Like you say, the difference is that Hidamari concentrates more strictly on the girls than the circumstances that they confront.
Yeah, slice of life shows like Hidamari Sketch don't come as often as they should. Also a Shinbo show is a required taste, and they're not always for everyone. That plays quite a part on this shows fanbase.
Old 2008-07-21, 13:52   Link #131
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, I've come to dislike many of Shinbo's efforts ... but in Hidamari Sketch the meshing of the material with his antics seem to work nicely (mostly because it is a series about people in an art school).

oooooh, episode 3....
Old 2008-07-21, 14:07   Link #132
Molenir

For myself I tend to enjoy slice-of-life type shows. I can't think of one really that I haven't enjoyed to some degree or another. Hidamari Sketch is definitely one of the good ones. x365 is better then the original so far. (I'm loving Yoshinoya sensei) She makes me laugh everytime I see her.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 08:26   Link #133
neothe0ne

The OP single is now out... any chance someone can post the Kanji lyrics from the booklet?
Old 2008-07-22, 14:54   Link #134
Jiji
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir View Post
For myself I tend to enjoy slice-of-life type shows. I can't think of one really that I haven't enjoyed to some degree or another. Hidamari Sketch is definitely one of the good ones. x365 is better then the original so far. (I'm loving Yoshinoya sensei) She makes me laugh everytime I see her.
I kind of agree with this; it's like they've gotten comfortable with the weird characters of the Yamabuki school, especially her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye, I've come to dislike many of Shinbo's efforts ... but in Hidamari Sketch the meshing of the material with his antics seem to work nicely (mostly because it is a series about people in an art school).
Shinbo has won me over through this series, but I have to admit that I've often been thinking that his style lends itself well to a story about art school, since his style is a bit "arty" (I didn't say pretentious! I deny that totally!) I don't think he could get away with nearly as much weirdness in a more dramatic show.
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 17:22   Link #135
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye.. .I'd have to say I'm liking x365 more than the original - a rare praise for a sequel.

The shrine visit was remarkable, both in terms of story and execution of animation budget. My brain may just emulsify at the amount of "shining earnest wide-eyed faces" though

I'm loving that poor girl who seems to have a hidden crush on Sae and runs away all the time.
Old 2008-07-22, 17:27   Link #136
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiji View Post
but I have to admit that I've often been thinking that his style lends itself well to a story about art school, since his style is a bit "arty"
That i can understand, though i think Shinbo's style is one that can work just about anywhere (he's working his way around the genre's!) --- if you're that open to experiment that is. I mean i know a good number of people who aren't fans of Shinbo's work, and that's a shame.
Old 2008-07-22, 23:14   Link #137
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
Quote:
Originally Posted by neothe0ne View Post
The OP single is now out... any chance someone can post the Kanji lyrics from the booklet?
I somehow doubt they would make any sense whatsoever.

Not that that's a bad thing.
Old 2008-07-22, 23:31   Link #138
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
My thougths on the new episode
Spoiler for Hidamari Skecth x365 episode 3:
Old 2008-07-23, 07:44   Link #139
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

I might be slightly late on Hidamari Sketch...I have to admit this anime haven't made laugh out loud yet it manages to make me smile through out the whole thing.

Shinbo can direct 'normal' anime too, didn't he direct Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha first season? That was quite a normal anime. I watched the first episode of Poni Poni Dash, which happened to be normal (at least more normal). His 'trademark' is pretty much hit or miss (I guess that's why most series he directs are 13 episodes to experiment, if it's popular it gets a sequal), you either love it or hate it. The surealism from HS feels different to SZS, HS feels more relaxed. Shinbo's style is good for comedies, definately not suitable for 'crying' anime ;P

-needs to catch up with the first season- X_X
Old 2008-07-23, 07:50   Link #140
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
I watched the first episode of Poni Poni Dash, which happened to be normal (at least more normal).
You must have been watching something else then, 'cause PPD is anything but normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
I guess that's why most series he directs are 13 episodes to experiment, if it's popular it gets a sequal)
Not true at all, he's done 26 episodes shows before (Moon Phase & Negima). The fact that most of his shows are usually 13 episodes has nothing to do with experimenting, it's just what happens.

Tags
comedy, school life, seinen, sequel, shaft, slice of life