AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 61 43.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 30.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.44%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.72%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-25, 14:38   Link #2161
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
It would be good OAV material (like Fate's backstory would have been), post A's, where Hayate goes to visit him on Earth and asks him him for the full story. In order to explain, he goes into a flashback starting from when he rescued that Enforcer, learned magic, created the Lieze twins, and how they formed his viewpoint later on. The desire to protect the world from sadness, and finally losing Clyde and seeing Lindy cry at the funeral, finally made up his mind to end the book once and for all.
Personally, I'd like a series of StrikerS OVAs that are set for the Sound Stages.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Old 2011-01-25, 18:01   Link #2162
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo
Then again, the 2nd movie could still focus more on Fate, possibly somehow bumping Suzuka off and instead have Fate befriend Hayate. Tune in for Magical Girl Lyrical Fate the Movie 2nd A's, to see how it all turns out!
Nothing about the first movie really conflicted with the original series. It only left certain things out, while adding others. So it's not the same thing as completely redoing how events unfold -- unless Tsuzuki actually plans on making a completely different retelling with A's.
Old 2011-01-25, 18:10   Link #2163
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
I don't exactly see how movie 1st focused more on Fate. I suppose it's true that Fate's backstory was shown and Nanoha's wasn't, but that backstory was hardly that much about Fate. Sure, Fate was involved with it, but the focus on those actual flashbacks were on Arf, Linith, and Precia. Particularly Precia. Yes, Nanoha's backstory didn't get the same treatment, but at the same time it definitely wasn't as plot relevant. Fate's backstory was tied deeply to the overall plot so it getting as much screen time that it did was natural.

So yeah, I wouldn't call it "Fate's movie." If anything, I'd say it was Precia's movie!
Old 2011-01-25, 18:17   Link #2164
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

How about we just call it -- "Nanoha: The movie 1st" -- Precia may of have more screen time, but it was still minute compared to the two mains. And I don't particularly recall Arf having a focus in those flashbacks, unless I'm forgetting something. Always remember her next to Fate, and not usually having a speaking role. I wish they added Arf's part from the sound stages, into the flashbacks.
Old 2011-01-25, 18:36   Link #2165
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
How about we just call it -- "Nanoha: The movie 1st" -- Precia may of have more screen time, but it was still minute compared to the two mains. And I don't particularly recall Arf having a focus in those flashbacks, unless I'm forgetting something. Always remember her next to Fate, and not usually having a speaking role. I wish they added Arf's part from the sound stages, into the flashbacks.
Heh, well I said this before but I walked away from the movie being more interested in Precia's side of things.

And Arf only had a brief flashback explaining how Fate took her in after her pack abandoned her. It was still something she never got in the TV series, though.
Old 2011-01-25, 19:16   Link #2166
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Yes, Nanoha's backstory didn't get the same treatment, but at the same time it definitely wasn't as plot relevant. Fate's backstory was tied deeply to the overall plot so it getting as much screen time that it did was natural.
Nanoha's backstory was as equal to Fate's, if you want to go that far, since backstory explains motivation. However, leaving Fate's backstory out in the series worked because we didn't need to know too much. We know and understand what it's like for an abused child to be dependent on their abusive parent.

However, Nanoha is the bigger mystery. She's 9, yet so mature and so willing to reach out to an enemy. We don't really see this a lot from older characters in shows, so you'd rightfully ask, "Why?" We get a bit of this with the Arisa fight in the series, which goes a long way; Nanoha in the series even says it was a large motivation for her, the act that got her into befriending and trying to understand her enemies. The only missing portion is the Takamachi backstory, which is handled a bit with the flashback about her dad being injured. So the series basically gets about 75% of Nanoha's backstory to explain why she is the way she is.

Remember, the Nanoha/Fate story is highly dependent upon Nanoha repeatedly reaching out to Fate. It was only her trying over and over again, despite getting shot up and beat, that helped Fate come down off her mother's rejection, and accept Nanoha's friendship.

So yeah, I'd argue Nanoha's backstory is important, while Fate/Precia/Arf/Linith's backstory is merely interesting. That is why I'd relegate it to OAV status. It wasn't needed, while so many other things were.

Don't get me wrong, the movie was decent, but only to someone who was already familiar with the series. Thus, we could use our already-learned tribal knowledge to fill in the holes. Someone just coming in, would tend to find those holes distracting.
Old 2011-01-30, 23:18   Link #2167
Nagumo
Random Translator

Magic dictionary (from DVD booklet, sorry for the long delay. Got distracted by listening to the Sakura Taisen cds again)

Alicia/Alyssia Testarossa
It is impossible to resurrect the dead, even with Project FATE.
However, through Precia’s effort she has birthed Fate from Alicia’s cells/DNA, she is without a doubt, a completely new/independent life/person and is arguably Alicia’s [little sister].
If Alicia survived/continued to live, Fate would never had been born.
With her Mother and older sister now dead/gone, Fate is left by herself in this world. And so she faces a long future where she must reflect/think upon her mother, older sister, and what to do with her life without them.
Old 2011-01-30, 23:24   Link #2168
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagumo View Post
Magic dictionary (from DVD booklet, sorry for the long delay. Got distracted by listening to the Sakura Taisen cds again)

However, through Precia’s effort she has birthed Fate from Alicia’s cells/DNA, she is without a doubt, a completely new/independent life/person and is arguably Alicia’s [little sister].
With her Mother and older sister now dead/gone, Fate is left by herself in this world. And so she faces a long future where she must reflect/think upon her mother, older sister, and what to do with her life without them.
That... That is pretty sad.

Old 2011-01-31, 01:30   Link #2169
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:

And that is why I find Fate's story so touching and sad.
Old 2011-02-01, 14:43   Link #2170
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:

.... Um... hello? Fate's not alone, she still has Arf with her! What, do familiars not count or something? =/
Old 2011-02-01, 14:44   Link #2171
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Quote:
.... Um... hello? Fate's not alone, she still has Arf with her! What, do familiars not count or something? =/
A girl and her dog.

Old 2011-02-01, 14:48   Link #2172
Kaijo
Banned

Well, I guess poor Arf is just barking up the wrong tree.

*rimshot*
Old 2011-02-01, 14:49   Link #2173
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Could be worse, I guess. She could be the Familiar of Flanders instead
Old 2011-02-01, 15:15   Link #2174
Kaijo
Banned

I was thinking more along the lines of "Old Arfer" ...
Old 2011-02-01, 15:19   Link #2175
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

At least Arf's not the Duke's dog.

Old 2011-02-01, 16:57   Link #2176
Nagumo
Random Translator

Quote:
I was actually wondering that when I was translating this entry.

I was like "But what about ARF!"
Old 2011-02-01, 17:41   Link #2177
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Considering it was after Alicia and Precia died, she has Nanoha too -- But I think it's referring to a family aspect.
Old 2011-02-01, 18:10   Link #2178
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

And Arf's not family?
Old 2011-02-01, 18:16   Link #2179
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Maybe they meant older figures, for guidance, but I don't think Alicia would fit, even if she was born earlier.
Old 2011-02-01, 18:40   Link #2180
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Maybe they meant older figures, for guidance, but I don't think Alicia would fit, even if she was born earlier.
She gives, tough, some important guide to Fate when she was trapped inside the Book of Darkness's lotus eater machine.(Well, it's more like the dreamed version of Alicia inside Fate's mind but i think still counts somehow).

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Closed Thread