AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-03, 17:49   Link #421
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I noticed only now that they're dancing in some sort of S&M gay club in the ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Calling it now: ultimately it's because Haruka stopped competitive swimming so he couldn't have Passionate Professional Rivalry with him anymore, and this made him feel betrayed and bitter.
That's a very likely explanation. I'd like it to be something "deeper" though. That would be a bit boring.
Old 2013-07-03, 17:52   Link #422
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

I really liked the first episode of this anime.

I'm not liking the comments the people are leaving though.

"Holy Gay".

"I wish I was a girl or a hardcore gay so I could enjoy this anime".

Really? I'm straight and yet I really liked this first episode alongside the characters. Just because most of the main characters are male and are swimming, doesn't automatically make this anime even remotely yaoi related, and if it does have some yaoi, it's not going to kill the entire anime. Good riddance to the people who watch the first episode and decide to stop because they think the anime is "Gay", I wont have to deal with them in the future episodes.

Last edited by DXMichael; 2013-07-03 at 19:07.
DXMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 18:27   Link #423
Puu

Quote:
Calling it now: ultimately it's because Haruka stopped competitive swimming so he couldn't have Passionate Professional Rivalry with him anymore, and this made him feel betrayed and bitter.
The cynic in me thinks it's because he got left in the dust by other swimmers in Australia and that's why he returned to Japan... BITTER.

But it's probably going to be that.
Puu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 18:31   Link #424
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXMichael View Post
I really liked the first episode of this animw. I'm not liking the comments i'm seeing under the video though on the website I watch it on

I'm not liking the comments the people are leaving though.

"Holy Gay".

"I wish I was a girl or a hardcore gay so I could enjoy this anime".

Really? I'm straight and yet I really liked this first episode alongside the characters. Just because most of the main characters are male and are swimming, doesn't automatically make this anime even remotely yaoi related, and if it does have some yaoi, it's not going to kill the entire anime. Good riddance to the people to watch the first episode and decide to stop because they think the anime is "Gay", I wont have to deal with them in the future episodes.
People are wack like that.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 18:55   Link #425
mistress_kisara

The fanservice was off the charts! and that ED...it seems that bishie dancing is the "in" thing now plus I like Gou I hope we see more of her!
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 18:56   Link #426
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-07-03, 19:01   Link #427
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I definitely agree with you, DXMichael.

Also, I thought the OP and ED were both okay. Production-wise of course it's great, but eh... The songs were just so-so. I didn't find the OP "manly" or the ED "gay", though. I find it kind of negative to classify either one in such a way, but that's me.

I will comment on the episode itself a little later.
Old 2013-07-03, 19:07   Link #428
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puu View Post
The cynic in me thinks it's because he got left in the dust by other swimmers in Australia and that's why he returned to Japan... BITTER.
Heh, I'd love that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Also, I thought the OP and ED were both okay. Production-wise of course it's great, but eh... The songs were just so-so. I didn't find the OP "manly" or the ED "gay", though. I find it kind of negative to classify either one in such a way, but that's me..
In the OP the song is "manly," not the visuals. I found it kind of hilarious, what with the OP actually being about cute guys posing and showing off their bodies (and that shot of the Passionate Rivals).
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 19:08   Link #429
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That's a very likely explanation. I'd like it to be something "deeper" though. That would be a bit boring.
Agreed, I'm hoping for something deeper and more tragic as well; not only would the swimming thing be a boring explanation, I don't think it would be a particularly realistic one either. I can see where Haruka leaving the world of competitive swimming would be disappointing for Rin and even frustrating, but it's nothing so severe that it would justify Rin having his personality completely break down and him shrivel up emotionally.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 19:18   Link #430
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
In the OP the song is "manly," not the visuals. I found it kind of hilarious, what with the OP actually being about cute guys posing and showing off their bodies (and that shot of the Passionate Rivals).
Oh, I know that people mean the song. I was just having a mini-mini rant due to a personal pet peeve of mine. Don't mind me.

I do agree that the combination of a very serious, hardcore song and shiny, sparkly swimming boys is pretty amusing, though. XD
Old 2013-07-03, 19:31   Link #431
ginger02

Quote:
hehe probably something like that. Also, probably more than just that, hopefully. Haruka wasn't that competitive in the first place, and Rin went all the way yo Australia so I'm not sure how Rin would know. There's stuff we don't know yet i guess.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 19:44   Link #432
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

The OP and ED were good. The water was great. Haru is interesting. The swimwear + apron was nice reversal. Liked how he lights up at the sound of swimming. His speed stripping is good. Well Rin turned out be a real jerk. Hope the megane shows up soon.
Old 2013-07-03, 19:45   Link #433
Excorsism

I can't be the only one who thought the ED sounded like something straight from K-Pop. BEAST and the like, lol. Also, in for the Gou, she's rocking red hair and a ponytail.
Old 2013-07-03, 20:06   Link #434
backbone
Banned

Overall a pretty enjoyable episode, and honestly it's more watchable than Inu to Hasami. First the OP song. Oh man, it totally rocks and full of spirit, and this is the kind of OP i want to see more often in anime. second, the joke. It's really good at many parts, particularly when Haruka was cooking with only his trunk while also wearing apron It was hilarious i couldn't stop laughing. It seems we got a new fetish here. Third, the story. Mmm, nothing much really happened as it's just slice of life story. But certain part what baffled me was when Rin suddenly challenged Haruka into swimming duel at rundown school only to find that the pool has dried up. I mean, seriously? It feels kinda forced and didn't serve any purpose aside from showing their bare body pointlessly. Fourth, the characters. Haruka is easily my favorite character for now. Cool, calm, collected, has strong and positive obsession toward something. While Rin, eh, can't say i like him given his sudden change and completely negative attitude towards his former friend. But since their rivalry which has sparked so early in this ep looked very promising, i'll just have to wait and see what happen.

And i find it funny that the boys have girly names while the girl (Rin's imouto) has boyish name
backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 20:34   Link #435
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72 View Post
Nothing like using ad hominem to try and make your point salient.

One thing I noted is that this seems to be Kyoani's first real sexual fanservice anime. Sure there were a few Fumoffu episodes and other FMP scenes, but they've never really so overtly sexualized their character designs before (Mikuru doesn't count as they actually toned her and her scenes down from the novels).

A highbrow "Queens Blade" for girls.
Nothing shown this episode warrants any more than a PG rating.
Old 2013-07-03, 20:44   Link #436
Kirarakim

This was so corny I was laughing the whole way through and oh that ending song.

Well Rin and Haruka both act like they have a stick up their...they are probably both tsunderes but I don't find either particularly pleasant. Rin was at least a cute kid.

The other two boys are pretty dorky and adorable though. I couldn't believe the one went skinny dipping.

I also like Rin's sister.
Old 2013-07-03, 20:59   Link #437
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Gou <3 and probably the only reason why I'm still watching the show. Just hope she isn't another brocon, as it worries me that she approaches Haruka because she wants to know more about her brother.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 21:25   Link #438
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

There's a weird disconnect with these characters , at least for me. Imagine if the cast of Kimi to Boku were athletes instead of... whatever they were. And then imagine they took steroids, getting the physical manifestations without the 'roid rage. What you have is a bunch of impossibly buff hunks acting like middle-school girls - a strange combination of beefcake and male moe, not helped by a bunch of actors in their 30's or damn close trying to sound like youngsters (the 40 year-old joins next week).

There's nothing wrong with a show that's transparently a service series for fujoshi, if that's what Feee! turns out to be - otaku have had hundreds of them, so they have no call to complain now. There could be more here - maybe one or more of the characters will emerge as really interesting (or like KtB, it'll be the 5th lead who brings a new spark of life to the series) or the story or comedic aspects will find another gear, and Free! will reveal some hidden depths that weren't apparent in the premiere.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 21:35   Link #439
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Can we at least have the guys act like guys instead of like typical moe girls?
At least Haruka and Rin seem to be going for something less moe and more GARish.

Not sure that's really working, but maybe it will get better next episode.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 21:46   Link #440
zztop

I'm a bit confused about the first naming of the male characters and the female character, Gou.

Some forums have stated the guy's first names are 'feminine/gender-neutral' and the girl has a 'masculine' first name. Could anyone enlighten me on how this is the case?

Anyone who has intimate knowledge of how Japanese naming conventions work, the kanji meaning, and how the kanji give a masculine/feminine meaning to the names are much appreciated.
Here are the kanji for the names.

1) Haruka: 遥

2) Makoto: 真琴

3) Rin: 凛

4) Nagisa: 渚

5) Rei: 怜

6) Gou: 江

Thank you.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, fabulous, sports, water animation