AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2018-07-11, 02:22   Link #1
TaylorComer

HELP with uni dissertation, Answer my question please?

I'm a uni student at the university of south wales and im studying my final year of prop making for a Degree.

Im writing a dissertation on the role of a prop maker posing the question "Do you need to be a master armorer to make quality weapons and armor for films?"

Could you please give your opinions, Do you think you need to be a master armorer to make these props? Or do you think the way films and tv are made these days that you can construct things differently.

Please avoid yes or no answers, if you have time to discuss your idea please do. Dont be afraid to talk about older films, new films, old and new techniques, cosplay, replicas and materials.

I just need to gather different opinions. So once again....
"Do you need to be a master armorer to make quality weapons and armor for films?"
TaylorComer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-11, 02:33   Link #2
TaylorComer

I refer to the most of the cosplay prop websites and Amazon,includes a review of related books on how to make character props.I found this website about the role props in the movie.https://www.cosmanles.com/cosplay-props.html
Old 2018-07-11, 02:35   Link #3
TaylorComer

I need more people's opinions to prepare a dissertation on the role of a prop maker.thank you.
Old 2018-07-11, 02:47   Link #4
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

I don't personally know much, but since you don't mind asking here in this forum, then I figure you won't mind me giving you youtuber recommendations. These people are enthusiasts in the field of medieval stuffs , and are generally pretty careful with what they are presenting and often cites historical sources. You can try and send them private messages detailing your inquiries.

skallagrim
metatron
shadiversity
matt easton
lindybeige
Old 2018-07-11, 03:49   Link #5
jdennis007

For movies and television the answer is no you don't. Props for them only have to look good on camera not be functional they also have to be cheap. I saw a prop exhibition from Star Trek The Next Generation and some of the pieces looked horrible, Geordi's visor in particular looked like a bad garage kit.
Old 2018-07-14, 05:18   Link #6
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorComer View Post
I just need to gather different opinions. So once again....
"Do you need to be a master armorer to make quality weapons and armor for films?"
I would say first, than they Don't use quality weapon or armor for films, as practicality, cost and how they look on the scream are more important than said quality. That said, if they want their stuffs to look realistic or historically accurate, to have the right knowledge would be primordial. I would say than being very good at doing props (in general) would be more critical than being a master armorer.
Old 2018-07-15, 08:59   Link #7
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I suggest you check out Man at Arms, especially the earlier videos, before the channel changed hands - Tony used a smaller crew and less gear but still made the cut. In my opinion, you don't need to be a master craftsman, but you have to be a professional one, i.e. have a proper workshop, equipment, materials and assistants. If you wish to start a career as one, your first works will have to be exceptional, so as to draw attention and warrant screen time - from that point on, advertisement should be easier.

One more thing, although it goes without saying, you can't produce half-baked goods, as it is not only deadly to your own reputation, but also potentially dangerous for the people using them (especially for spring weapons and firearms, but also for swords and sabers).
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-16, 04:06   Link #8
TaylorComer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorComer View Post
I need more people's opinions to prepare a dissertation on the role of a prop maker.thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I don't personally know much, but since you don't mind asking here in this forum, then I figure you won't mind me giving you youtuber recommendations. These people are enthusiasts in the field of medieval stuffs , and are generally pretty careful with what they are presenting and often cites historical sources. You can try and send them private messages detailing your inquiries.

skallagrim
metatron
shadiversity
matt easton
lindybeige
Wow ,thanks a lot for helping me,I would look them up.I hope they will have time to answer my question.
Old 2018-07-16, 04:10   Link #9
TaylorComer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdennis007 View Post
For movies and television the answer is no you don't. Props for them only have to look good on camera not be functional they also have to be cheap. I saw a prop exhibition from Star Trek The Next Generation and some of the pieces looked horrible, Geordi's visor in particular looked like a bad garage kit.
It sounds quite reasonable,otherwise,some actors are in the risk of being hurt by some of these props.
However, a terrible one would bring bad influence of films.
Old 2018-07-16, 04:15   Link #10
TaylorComer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I suggest you check out Man at Arms, especially the earlier videos, before the channel changed hands - Tony used a smaller crew and less gear but still made the cut. In my opinion, you don't need to be a master craftsman, but you have to be a professional one, i.e. have a proper workshop, equipment, materials and assistants. If you wish to start a career as one, your first works will have to be exceptional, so as to draw attention and warrant screen time - from that point on, advertisement should be easier.

One more thing, although it goes without saying, you can't produce half-baked goods, as it is not only deadly to your own reputation, but also potentially dangerous for the people using them (especially for spring weapons and firearms, but also for swords and sabers).
From what you said,I suppose that you suggest me to try as many times as possible.As now I have no idea about my paper,it is necessary to do this.I can imagine how difficult it will be.