AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2021-06-18, 15:02   Link #361
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Apparently, there wil be a new anime series that wil combine Grindman and Dynazenon: https://twitter.com/tagoal/status/1405879628263161870
FYI: There is already a thread for the new show in the Upcoming Section. Gridman X Dynazenon

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-18, 18:04   Link #362
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragashingo View Post
I don’t get what this show was going for.

It had a big emphasis on relationships and feelings. It had great directing and character moments that felt good even and especially when they were odd and awkward. It had a subtle sense of humor that poked fun at its own genre all while delivering excellent action. It had hints at a greater, more interesting world connected to the previous series.

…but…

Despite all the good points, I felt this was a far weaker show than SSSS.Gridman. Mostly because the villains had no purpose. They killed and destroyed and yet there was basically no reason for it all! Having the one still declaring he just wanted to kill humans frustrated me so much. Because there was no why! Not even a misguided why. Not even an evil why.

Then there were all those connections to and echoes of SSSS.Gridman. They too went nowhere. Familiar locations. Familiar staging and shot composition. Whether it was the Gridman coffee shop without the fog or a character leaning on the railing on top of the school under a big blue sky or an identical run down street, it all feels fake now. Kinda feels like a cost saving measure instead of a clever link between shows. I kept hoping for more. For the connections to mean something. But in the end they just didn’t mean anything.

If I could have an ideal SSSS show, I’d want the bigger messages and much more complex villains of Gridman combined with multiple in depth character focuses all on the level Yume got in Dynazenon. Make it a two season show if need be to fit in all the personal character stories. Do anything but leave the motivations and connections so vague as to not even matter.
I agree with some of this, it held more potential but some characters weren't emphasized enough, in my opinion, and perhaps another cour could've helped both that and the plot with the villains. Perhaps the next show will do that?

Decent anime, just needed more answers.
7/10
Old 2021-06-18, 18:34   Link #363
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I do think it's a waste that the antagonists ended up being completely one dimensional. Akane was infinitely better. That's really the only aspect I found better in Gridman though.

The bonds the characters formed and their growth as people was something Gridman didn't have. I guess Gridman was more story driven while Dynazenon was more character focused, and I prefer the latter. Having both would be better of course. Maybe in the third series?
Old 2021-06-18, 19:05   Link #364
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I do think it's a waste that the antagonists ended up being completely one dimensional. Akane was infinitely better. That's really the only aspect I found better in Gridman though.

The bonds the characters formed and their growth as people was something Gridman didn't have. I guess Gridman was more story driven while Dynazenon was more character focused, and I prefer the latter. Having both would be better of course. Maybe in the third series?
I guess the problem with the Eugenicists may have been their narrative function getting in the way of developing them as characters? I thought they were still interesting and entertaining though...and not just Mujina .

I do think this show did a much better job with the main cast's development and focus than Gridman did. It would be nice to see the third show bring it all together and take what they improved with Dynazenon for the third installment .
Old 2021-06-18, 19:06   Link #365
Random14

I didn't expect GridKnight and Goldburn to combine too, but the bigger shock was seeing Koyomi with a haircut (and how he's clearly moved on, unlike a certain other someone). That was an epic final battle, and I liked that they went back to regular Dynazenon and Dyna Rex for the finishing blow.

Of course Yomogi's ability came in handy, but aside from that, he doesn't seem like the type to ever become a kaiju user. Sizumu called it freedom but sure felt more like solitude, with how the eugencists were, and partially why Gauma split from them.

Gauma's part of why I like this show better than Gridman (not that I'm saying its definitely a better show, I just like this cast more, and I understand that this show is building on what Gridman established earlier). Its bittersweet seeing Dynazenon fade away like that after they won the battle, but Gauma was great to the end. (Who knows what's next, but this is fine for now.)

And Yomogi and Yume are cute to the end. I expect he's probably always the one sent to find her. It was cliche for the interrupted confession last episode but not like their feelings for each other are much in doubt by now. That was a great anime, I'm hopeful for more from the Gridman universe someday (and eager for news on that other announcement).
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-18, 19:13   Link #366
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

That's a pretty good ending if I say so myself, but when compared to S4.Gridman's ending, it does lack some punches. Still, the ending is in no way bad. Some points that I want to touch:
  1. The battle in this episode is simply spectacular. They saved a lot of handdrawn animation for this climactic battle and they still able to give us a new combination that was Gridknight-Goldburn . There's no complaint from me for that aspect of this episode. Oh, and I haven't said this before but all of them are greatly designed. Dynazenon is actually one of my favorite super-robots in terms of combination & looks.
  2. Dynazenon actually has a lot better protags than S4G. And I really like that the show focused more on them than the villains. Among the protags, we got variety of personal problems that they have to deal with instead of just watching them be mere pilots for Dynazenon.
  3. Sadly, in order to make better protags, the show had to sacrifice the villain roles in the show. The Eugenecists are practically just the evil version of the Neon Genesis gang. I mean, I get their main reason: they were people with special powers, and they got betrayed by humanity in the past so they swore to ged rid of humanity. It's the classic Magneto reasoning. Their characters are already enjoyable to follow (just like the Neon Genesis) but the show really could've fleshed them out more since they are the villains of the show, not gag-supporting characters (like the Neon Genesis). This is something that the S4 series need to improve: make equally engaging villains & protags. Don't just choose one over the other.
  4. Speaking of villains, at this point, it's safe to assume that the one who spread the kaiju seed was Shizumu, and he was the one who revived the other Eugenecists, right?
  5. I do like how some little plot threads was followed on throughout the show and then concluded:
    • Gauma's growing blotch lead to his death.
    • Chise's kaiju seed became Goldburn and allowed her to have both a friend and more active role with the gang.
    • The ankh-puzzle represents Yume's feelings for Kano's death with the highlight being she managed to separate the ankhs when she was able to move on but then she connected them again to still remember Kano but in a more positive term.
    • Both Juuga & Shizumu approaching Yomogi early in the show coz they said he has a talent to be kaiju tamer which then followed on and even used for the final battle.
    • As for some similar shots between Dynazenon & S4G, I think some fans put too much thought into it and wanting it to be more than it was: a cost-saving method & small callbacks to previous show. I personally didn't think too much of it and that's why I never mentioned it.
    • Speaking of callbacks, I like how this show did not try to go for repeat fanservice like having Gridman come back, or playing Yume no Hero, or try to outdo the S4G ending by having more live-action shot in the last episode (which would've been out of place for this particular show). It is proof that the showrunners know how to restrain themselves and I like that.
    • Those "z"-looking scars on all the Dyna-members though. Where did those come from? Did they just magically appear on their bodies? What do they mean?
    • The show actually made use of the open-ending plot of episode 18 of the LA show (especially the dragon statue part of the plot). Sadly, due to obvious reasons, Gauma still can't meet his princess in this world. I was about to joke by saying Gauma is the Mario of Gridman universe, but I like how the show actually taught us (& Gauma) to accept & deal with loss. There is no cheap reunion between Gauma & the princess in this specific world in the last episode. Gauma (& the audience) just have to accept that she has been gone. But hey, with a bit of luck, maybe Gauma can meet her in the afterlife....

Anyway, I had a great time with Dynazenon as it has superb animation direction, great ambient sound, on-point music score, and natural interactions between the human characters. I couldn't wait to watch the next show in this universe. Hopefully, with even more improved narrative.
Old 2021-06-18, 21:18   Link #367
Wandering Soul

Koyomi looked so different that I was in the same boat as Anti in regards to not recognizing him.

It's nice to see everyone move on with their lives. Koyomi is now a functioning adult, Chise wears her tattoos proud and is actually wants to prepare for the future, and Yomogi and Yume are doing just fine. The series doesn't come out and say it, but it seems clear that they are dating.

Overall I like this series more than first series. I'd say the previous one was better in regards to antagonists, but I like this series ensemble cast more
Old 2021-06-18, 21:56   Link #368
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
There aren't many times I want to actually applaud a final episode, but this is one of those times. That was honestly fantastic. We got one heck of a great final showdown that let a variety of combinations shine along with the main cast getting some clashes with their rivals. That alone would have made this a great final episode. But the ending was pretty strong as well. It did focus pretty heavily on Yomogi and Yume, but that's alright. And jumping right into them being in a relationship is fine. It lets us see the status quo more.

Honestly I liked this a lot more than the Gridman series. That wasn't bad though. This just worked for me a lot more. The villains didn't get as much time to really establish themselves. But the main cast did and I was fully behind them as the show went on. Yume especially went from a character I expected to be frustrated by to one of my favorites in the show.

Makes me look forward to what is next for the overall franchise. Gridman and Dynazenon had different focuses and thrived in different ways. But they both delivered the action. And Dynazenon is definitely available for a future show. Although I would really love for them to temporarily borrow the main cast of this show as pilots again. Even if the spirit of the Princess and/or Gauma is inhabiting it so it could technically fight on its own.

Not to say I thought the show was perfect. But darn it, I had a really good time. It delivered visually, the characters were likable, the arcs for those characters felt solid, and it wrapped up well. The villains were somewhat stuck being ghosts in a sense. But honestly I prefer when the protagonists get more focus rather than the inverse. Balance is fine, but at least keep leaning towards the characters I want to like .

So yeah, 9/10. I can honestly give it that without feeling conflicted.
Old 2021-06-18, 22:43   Link #369
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random14 View Post
I didn't expect GridKnight and Goldburn to combine too, but the bigger shock was seeing Koyomi with a haircut (and how he's clearly moved on, unlike a certain other someone). That was an epic final battle, and I liked that they went back to regular Dynazenon and Dyna Rex for the finishing blow.
I feel like Gridknight and Goldburn should seem kind of obvious, but I never expected it until they actually did it. I wish we could've seen the combination more instead of at the last-minute in the final episode, but it was still pretty cool .

And of course they couldn't forget about the titular mecha in it's own show .

I am kind of curious what new combinations we'll get with Gridman, his support team, Gridknight, Goldburn, and Dynazenon together...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
[*]Sadly, in order to make better protags, the show had to sacrifice the villain roles in the show. The Eugenecists are practically just the evil version of the Neon Genesis gang. I mean, I get their main reason: they were people with special powers, and they got betrayed by humanity in the past so they swore to ged rid of humanity. It's the classic Magneto reasoning. Their characters are already enjoyable to follow (just like the Neon Genesis) but the show really could've fleshed them out more since they are the villains of the show, not gag-supporting characters (like the Neon Genesis). This is something that the S4 series need to improve: make equally engaging villains & protags. Don't just choose one over the other.
I feel like this episode was where it was most clear that the Eugenicists are a dark parallel to the heroes because of how they didn't develop and ended up piloting the final Kaiju together to take on team Dynazenon. So, from a thematic standpoint, I understood what they were going for with the Eugenicists.

I wonder if they could've gotten their own episode focused on them and their backstory...
Quote:
[*]Those "z"-looking scars on all the Dyna-members though. Where did those come from? Did they just magically appear on their bodies? What do they mean?
My takeaway was they were physical manifestations of the team overcoming their trauma and moving on from them with their personal resolve.
Old 2021-06-18, 22:56   Link #370
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-18, 23:25   Link #371
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Gridman was basically plot-driven, Dynazenon character-driven. Gridman was all about sleight-of-hand, altered perception, and the mythology. Dynazenon is about human choices and human bonds.

This is why, for me, comparing the Eugenicists to Akane is rather pointless. In Gridman Akane was the centerpiece of the entire story. In Dynazanenon the K.E. are basically foils for the growth of the main cast. Apples and oranges - and this is no accident. Amemiya and Hasegawa overtly stated they set out to make this a completely different sort of story.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-18, 23:36   Link #372
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Gridman was basically plot-driven, Dynazenon character-driven. Gridman was all about sleight-of-hand, altered perception, and the mythology. Dynazenon is about human choices and human bonds.

This is why, for me, comparing the Eugenicists to Akane is rather pointless. In Gridman Akane was the centerpiece of the entire story. In Dynazanenon the K.E. are basically foils for the growth of the main cast. Apples and oranges - and this is no accident. Amemiya and Hasegawa overtly stated they set out to make this a completely different sort of story.
It does make you wonder what the crossover series is going to end up like .
Old 2021-06-19, 00:01   Link #373
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Yes, I made that same observation in my piece on the finale. How are Amemiya and Hasegawa going to connect these two series that they quite purposefully set out to make as different as realistically possible?
Old 2021-06-19, 00:28   Link #374
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Sspeaking of humans, it's too bad that the show failed to address the elephant in the room: the human victims & city destruction that happened at least once a month throughout this show. In S4G, they gave us the answer early on in episode 2 about why the people take all the kaiju incidents, city destruction and all the deaths lightly (coz all of them were reset) and then answered it all in episode 6 (it's all due to Akane's Venora kaiju power). S4G laid a good logic groundwork for it. Here, there are no Venoras that keep the city gassed, buildings built & people forgot. But people's reaction after a kaiju-fight is almost the exact same thing as in the S4G. How can that be? This is not a pocket dimension, is it? We know that the military and the nation exist in this show (Yomogi said so). But we hardly even see tons of people crying, ambulances running, fire-fighters putting out fires and the freakin' military trying to secure the area after god knows how many people were dead after each kaiju-battle that leveled buildings. Some explanation, please.

Meanwhile, just next door, we have a Godzilla anime from this same season that treated all the damages caused by the kaijus seriously with the military & government being pro-active even though the show focus more on their own "Hero group" who deal with the kaijus.

I know it's a hero-tokusatsu thing to ignore collateral damages in their show (Super Sentai is the most guilty of that). I wouldn't even gonna criticize Dynazenon for it. But it was the show itself that chose to focus on all the collateral damages in one episode only for the rest of the show to ignore it and have people of the city act like everything is normal and the city not being in ruins after each week & each month of kaiju battles. I would like to see more POVs from victims who lost their homes & family members due to all the kaiju shenanigans. Maybe make some of those victims friends of the protags so that we can see how they react.
Old 2021-06-19, 00:36   Link #375
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
You do have to wonder. And yet with the success of the past two series...I'm sure they'll figure it out . Will be interesting though since they could reasonably lack the focus characters from both. Be a surprise to have Akane re-enter the picture and doesn't seem a given that Yomogi and company will rejoin things either. Though anything could happen in either case.

Maybe they do really find a balance between the two approaches. Hard to say how well it will work, but I've got faith they can handle it.
Old 2021-06-19, 00:38   Link #376
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Yes, I made that same observation in my piece on the finale. How are Amemiya and Hasegawa going to connect these two series that they quite purposefully set out to make as different as realistically possible?
inb4 it's connected solely by Gridman and Dynazenon's appearances with nothing else from the two shows. I hope not though
Old 2021-06-19, 00:41   Link #377
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
inb4 it's connected solely by Gridman and Dynazenon's appearances with nothing else from the two shows. I hope not though
I don't know if it's a bad thing though. I, for one, would love to explore the Hyper World & the Hyper Agency with Gridman .
Old 2021-06-19, 00:45   Link #378
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's easier to see the Dynazenon cast returning that the Gridman cast, for multiple reasons. Given the creators' predilections though I would expect the main characters to be new ones.
Old 2021-06-19, 01:07   Link #379
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

The most I would realistically expect to see appear again are Anosilus and Knight/Anti

Gauma and the rest of the Eugenicists are narratively done barring some out of left field thematic requirement for kaiju to proliferate which would involve them again.

Cast from Akane's world has even lower chance than the former appearing narratively speaking since her influence is done, now that Akane has moved on. Akane herself reappearing being the least likely.

Dynazenon's main cast returning has a somewhat higher likelihood but given the way things have been, a story revolving around a new world has a greater chance of happening
Old 2021-06-19, 08:35   Link #380
zztop

Some Mujina fanart.
https://i.pximg.net/img-master/img/2...master1200.jpg

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/90598670

RIP heavenly thighs, you will be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
[*]Speaking of villains, at this point, it's safe to assume that the one who spread the kaiju seed was Shizumu, and he was the one who revived the other Eugenecists, right?
[*]As for some similar shots between Dynazenon & S4G, I think some fans put too much thought into it and wanting it to be more than it was: a cost-saving method & small callbacks to previous show. I personally didn't think too much of it and that's why I never mentioned it.
[*]Those "z"-looking scars on all the Dyna-members though. Where did those come from? Did they just magically appear on their bodies? What do they mean?[*]The show actually made use of the open-ending plot of episode 18 of the LA show (especially the dragon statue part of the plot). Sadly, due to obvious reasons, Gauma still can't meet his princess in this world. I was about to joke by saying Gauma is the Mario of Gridman universe, but I like how the show actually taught us (& Gauma) to accept & deal with loss. There is no cheap reunion between Gauma & the princess in this specific world in the last episode. Gauma (& the audience) just have to accept that she has been gone. But hey, with a bit of luck, maybe Gauma can meet her in the afterlife....
The hand holding the kaiju seeds is fair-skinned, and Shizumu has a dark complexion.
Although that doesn't rule out other eugenicists from spreading them (like Onija or Juuga - it looks like a man's hand).

I assume the z-scars are meant as physical marks of honour that show how at least 3 members of their group are united as one, even as Gauma is (presumably) gone for good (until we get confirmation he's still in Dynazenon or something like that). Presumably they got it during the final fight as they were racing to the Dyna parts (Koyomi got his back in Ep 10).

Bluray 4 will have a voice drama Ep 12 bundled with it. If Gridman's 12.12 Bluray audio drama is any indication, hopefully Dynazenon's will provide some bookend confirmation as to Gauma's true fate.

Last edited by zztop; 2021-06-19 at 09:06.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha, tokusatsu