AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

Old 2011-10-14, 22:52   Link #661
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Possibly the only development that could really put me off this series is if it turns into something like Japanese Teen Power Fantasy the anime. What I mean by that is if it plays out something like an angsty/attractive Japanese teens vs. evil sadistic ugly foreign adult invaders scenario. The only thing that makes me think this is even possible mind you is Hiroyuki Yoshino's track record with shows like Gundam Seed/Destiny where the portrayal was so insufferably black and white, adult vs. teen, attractive vs. ugly that it just killed all my potential to care about the scenario even before the clip shows kicked in.

That's literally the only thing that would really keep me from just being able to enjoy it as popcorn entertainment. It really comes down to just how much of an ***hole Yoshino intends to be with his script and how much he can reign in some of his poorer choices of judgement in how a political/mecha/sci-fi show should be portrayed. If that doesn't happen then I'll almost certainly be fine and finish this show with a smile on my face.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 23:53   Link #662
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Here we have what is presumably a date. December 12, 1978. Google doesn't really bring up anything that sounds remarkable, so if we were hoping for a PenguinDrum-like use of real-world events, I don't think GC is going there. What we do know is that the story is set in 2039. Which is 61 years from 1978. Which hints at something that has gone on well before Shu was born.
Actually the date is 2028. At first I thought like you and was trying to figure out about 1978 but the 7 turns into a 2. It just happens extraordinarily fast and you have to go half-second by half second to see it.

Oh and the light haired child they do a quick glimpse of, is most likely Daryl Yan. He is the same age, has lighter hair color, and in the glimpse has a very slightly different hair color compared to the other kid. He also has similar clothes(colors anyway) compared to his older counterpart concept art.

Last edited by Jarmel; 2011-10-15 at 00:04.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 23:59   Link #663
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Actually the date is 2028. At first I thought like you and was trying to figure out about 1978 but the 7 turns into a 2. It just happens extraordinarily fast and you have to go half-second by half second to see it.
Ah, that makes a lot more sense, since the Apocalypse Virus outbreak that hit Tokyo was supposed to be in 2029.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Honestly, as a guy with a relatively low tolerance level for emo main protagonists (or so I thought, anyway - this thread is starting to make me reconsider that ), I didn't find Shu's level of emo problematic at all.

At least Shu was keeping it to himself (mostly), and not openly angsting in his actual dialogue a whole lot. Given the circumstances faced by him and his nation, I don't think that his degree of emo is excessive.
Oh, I generally hate emo boys, and initially I was super turned off by Shu's seemingly generic shonen emoness, but after realizing his parent(s) are in cahoots with the evil foreigners, assuming Shu has some idea of what his mother (and possibly father) does, I can totally see why he may be a little emo, so I'm willing to give him a pass. For now. As long as he doesn't wait till the last three episodes to loose the emoness, I'll probably be fine with it. It's the characters who are emo just to be emo that irk me to no end.

Of course, it's also possible Shu hasn't a clue what his mother does or who she works for, in which case I'll have to drop my gavel of judgement on his heinie, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2011-10-15 at 00:10.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 00:06   Link #664
Jarmel

Quote:
Ah, that makes a lot more sense, since the Apocalypse Virus outbreak that hit Tokyo was supposed to be in 2029.
Also the date is 12-23-28. They just use normal Japanese calendar dates thus 23-12-28. Hence the term Lost Christmas as the outbreak would have happened 2 days before Christmas.
Old 2011-10-15, 00:10   Link #665
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Also the date is 12-23-28. They just use normal Japanese calendar dates thus 23-12-28. Hence the term Lost Christmas as the outbreak would have happened 2 days before Christmas.
Ah, that's the event they are making a visual novel of, right?
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 00:17   Link #666
Jarmel

Quote:
Ah, that's the event they are making a visual novel of, right?
I guess. There's alot of Christian visual themes in the show as well such as the cross the younger (Inori?) kid has as well as the somewhat cross shape that appears on Shu's hand. The show likes to repeat certain elements (such as the string that Inori uses comes up again when the Void Genome capsule breaks and Shouma is restrained by strings again) though so it'll probably amount to nothing.
Old 2011-10-15, 00:20   Link #667
Kiyomizu
Never Knows Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
While he's behavior could be justified, I think that the scene after Inori's capture where he was just on the floor drowning in self-pity was pretty spineless lol I wouldn't list him as the weakest, but so far he seems to lack a back bone.
He's a seventeen year old and he just had five guns pointed at him. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't do the exact same thing.
Kiyomizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 01:47   Link #668
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyomizu View Post
He's a seventeen year old and he just had five guns pointed at him. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't do the exact same thing.
If said 17-year old was raised in a warzone maybe. Shu isn't such a person though.

Also yeah, I rather agree that Shu really dumps his supposed patheticness the moment he dashed off to save Inori by the end. He also himself realizes that he really is quite pathetic and is wanting to change that.

He actually reminds me of someone with a non-severe case of autism... like myself. Shu's inner monologue actually struck a chord of truth in me on just how it feels to have such a life.

On Flying: "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 03:50   Link #669
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Typical anime but this one looks interesting for the moment. Oh and yeah , Code geass's vibes.
And something bothered me , Shu's noise bleed stopped after some secs wth ?

Last edited by -Sho-; 2011-10-15 at 04:03.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 04:48   Link #670
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
The part that I put in bold I really agree with. I actually like Inori's outfit (as impractical as it is, I find it pretty), but it doesn't fit the setting. It looks like a reject costume design that Hyung-tae Kim did for one of the Magna Carta games, if anything. If I was in a guerrilla resistance group and I knew my enemies were toting 6-story high assault mechs, that is NOT the first thing I would be pulling out of my closet.

Also, if she was trying to sneak out the vial in a low-key manner, shouldn't she be wearing something less obnoxiously noticeable? It's kind of like Naruto where how he's supposed to be this stealthy ninja, but he's wearing a bright orange jumpsuit instead of something that would help him blend in with his environment. Just... what? I know some people might try to pull the "but it's an anime" card here (and I pull that card myself sometimes), but I think for GC it just doesn't fly.
Heh, pretty much my thoughts on the outfit as well since the trailers, looks great and really looks nice in the art, but sticks out like a sore thumb as not fitting the setting/mood, what she's doing etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Possibly the only development that could really put me off this series is if it turns into something like Japanese Teen Power Fantasy the anime. What I mean by that is if it plays out something like an angsty/attractive Japanese teens vs. evil sadistic ugly foreign adult invaders scenario. The only thing that makes me think this is even possible mind you is Hiroyuki Yoshino's track record with shows like Gundam Seed/Destiny where the portrayal was so insufferably black and white, adult vs. teen, attractive vs. ugly that it just killed all my potential to care about the scenario even before the clip shows kicked in.

That's literally the only thing that would really keep me from just being able to enjoy it as popcorn entertainment. It really comes down to just how much of an ***hole Yoshino intends to be with his script and how much he can reign in some of his poorer choices of judgement in how a political/mecha/sci-fi show should be portrayed. If that doesn't happen then I'll almost certainly be fine and finish this show with a smile on my face.
Good point.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 04:53   Link #671
Chaos2Frozen
Spherical Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Heh, pretty much my thoughts on the outfit as well since the trailers, looks great and really looks nice in the art, but sticks out like a sore thumb as not fitting the setting/mood, what she's doing etc.
She's a songstress, fancy outfits are practically part of the requirement to lure men into the cause.

Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 06:51   Link #672
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
First, I'd encourage you to read this. It explains the potential usefulness of an Everyman character type.
I knew that there'd be pages of post since the last time I logged in,sorry for the bit of delayed reply.
Anyway thanks for the link.
I guess it's like I said,I'm just sick and tired of them,they're everywhere in anime,and not always well executed,why can't I get someone like spike from cowboy bebop?

Quote:
(which is why I usually don't like them in harem comedies, as the only "challenge" they often have there is handling a harem - not exactly most guys' worst nightmare ).
I'd like to say the same about have having a super hot idol come up to you and say "use me" and then getting to stick your hand inside her chest?
Old 2011-10-15, 06:59   Link #673
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
Did anyone else have significant problems with it? I don't know. It's a pretty show, and the music is great. Inori's voice actress can sing.

I thought that it was kind of racist and sexist?

It's obvious that Guilty Crown was created to inspire nationalism in Japanese otaku. And granted, the world doesn't have a high opinion of the US in general. But all of the foreign characters are exceedingly evil. Not to mention that the first couple of villains are violent stereotypes of african-american men. One abuses women and one is a thug. Great.

As for being sexist, I mean, just look at the character designs. It's possible to sexualize women while simultaneously empowering them--Guilty Crown isn't doing it. Inori's clothing and submissive nature Inori's clothing and submissive nature--the fact that she's naked and kissing a phallic skull in the first scene while singing? Look at these scenes; this is only the first episode and already it's out of control.

It was also exceedingly cliche. Childhood friends? "I couldn't do anything to protect her"? Ugh. Shu is the weakest protagonist we've seen in awhile.
The "racist" part is a given. Every show ever is going to portray what it's audience can relate to, whatever would appeal to it's audience. That isn't at all sufficient to label the show as racist. You have a point about the African-American stereotypes but it's such a pervasive portrayal that GC isn't the first or the last show to use it and not much can be done about it other than hoping people become open-minded enough to stop thinking in those terms.

As for the sexist part, it's more the case that Production I.G. wanted to show off it's design imo. As someone said earlier (I apologize for this late quote btw), it's more that Inori is sexy than that the show is sexist.

In the opening scene, Inori is singing a song as an idol - and you really can't deny that music videos of songs have the singers doing far crazier stuff that being dressed in semi-nude fantasy clothing (she wasn't naked, she was covered in feathers and when they blow away, you can see the attire she's in for the rest of the episode) and kissing a skull. Nothing GC can be blamed over imho.

As for the rest of the poses, including the one where you complain how her breasts jiggle and her chicks are flushed when she's kicked etc., well, what do you expect? A woman's breasts jiggle when she sways and her chicks get flushed when she gets kicked in the face. The show is sexist for animating something that would happen? o_O
Inori has such a strong character design that it's going to appear as though they are focusing on her sexiness no matter how they portray her. Going out of their way to reduce her sex appeal is completely redundant and retroactive. Instead, they chose to focus on her prettiness as is and I don't think you can blame them for that, really.

GC doesn't spare a chance to show off it's sexy designs, but is it sexist? I don't think so.
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 07:35   Link #674
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Wow Toto, overanalyzed much? First of all I'm African-American and I didn't even find this show to be racist(not that I'm the authority on that, I think the NAACP has jurisdiction ), if you found this racist to blacks don't watch US tv. Secondly, really sexist? Even if they show her doing nothing but cooking and cleaning in every scene Inori is in for the next 20 or so eps I wouldn't call it sexist, well I might then, who knows. I do agree her outfit isn't exactly practical as some have mentioned, and it does seem like they went out of their way to "sex" her up, it's not really outta the norm.

Or disregard everything I said I'm prolly to desensitized to reply justly
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 08:38   Link #675
serpiente

Too many incongruents cliches mixed up togheter for my tastes. Not really against emos, but if you re emo , what you do is emo things, not run barehands against a mecha at the sight of the first pretty girl you came across. Really nice background, prop designs, CGI and coloring, in the other hand. But what a I see is a lot of Big Names making a buck with work that only wants to be appealing to the masses...
serpiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 08:54   Link #676
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpiente View Post
Not really against emos, but if you re emo , what you do is emo things, not run barehands against a mecha at the sight of the first pretty girl you came across.
Did you miss the part where he told himself that he should try doing something different for once like say, run barehands against a mecha at the pretty girl he came across instead of being emo in a corner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpiente View Post
But what a I see is a lot of Big Names making a buck with work that only wants to be appealing to the masses...
Anime is an industry when it comes down to it, so I don't see what's negative about wanting to make something that appeals to as many people as possible. Not every anime made has to be some underrated, profound arthouse production with a small fanbase. There's nothing wrong with either.
Old 2011-10-15, 09:05   Link #677
Cosmic Eagle
……『青い空』、きっとキレイなんだろうなぁ

Quote:

Spoiler for Flashback Scene #10: Garbled numbers.:

No matter how much I tried, I could not get a clear frame on this number. It does not look like a date though. My guess is that is reads: 83456 P-16, which is completely meaningless to me.

Spoiler for Flashback Scene #11: Possibly a number relating to a gene.:

Here we have a shot of one number. 6626. It's possible, due to the pseudoscience we've already seen relating to genetics, this number relates to the small nuclear ribonucleoprotein polypeptide A gene. If it does, I'm sure we'll eventually get a very sexed-up version of what a polypeptide normally does.

Shu's serial no? Maybe he's experiment product and likely related to the Apocalypse plague itself?

す べ て の 想 い に  巡 り 来 る 祝 福 を
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 10:19   Link #678
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdestroy View Post
Wow Toto, overanalyzed much? First of all I'm African-American and I didn't even find this show to be racist(not that I'm the authority on that, I think the NAACP has jurisdiction ), if you found this racist to blacks don't watch US tv. Secondly, really sexist? Even if they show her doing nothing but cooking and cleaning in every scene Inori is in for the next 20 or so eps I wouldn't call it sexist, well I might then, who knows. I do agree her outfit isn't exactly practical as some have mentioned, and it does seem like they went out of their way to "sex" her up, it's not really outta the norm.

Or disregard everything I said I'm prolly to desensitized to reply justly
I'm black too but the Japanese really do depict us in the worst possible light. American TV and movies can too but it's certainly gotten better on that front.
Old 2011-10-15, 10:47   Link #679
hoarfrost

Quote:
I'm black too but the Japanese really do depict us in the worst possible light. American TV and movies can too but it's certainly gotten better on that front.
I wouldn't go to that length. Let's keep in mind that anime is a niche for an increasingly insular subset of people with a rather narrow world view. The depiction is very narrow compared to what Europeans get (seemingly always an older, gruff, balding male) but is usually neutral to positive.

But yeah, the GHC commander is just so cartoonishly bad and is a transparent attempt to rile Japanese otakus up at the indignity of having one of their vulnerable women beaten around by a big scary gaijin.
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 11:21   Link #680
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

my mind is blown at the quality and caliber of this show. its production values are almost just as good as Fate/zero's, and it had that "wow" factor I haven't felt since the first ep of code geass.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, noitamina, production_ig