Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-11-07, 00:10   Link #1
solidvanz
Special Operative

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

STAR WARS: EPISODE VII TITLE REVEALED AS THE FORCE AWAKENS

Lucasfilm has revealed the title of Star Wars: Episode VII and it is ... Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

The title reveal was announced today via StarWars.com.

Principal Photography recently wrapped on the J.J. Abrams-directed film, with the rumor mill saying we'll get our first teaser trailer for The Force Awakens soon.

Link: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/...-force-awakens
Old 2014-11-07, 06:57   Link #2
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Any chance this uses elements from Thrawn Trilogy or the Dark Empire trilogy?
Old 2014-11-07, 10:11   Link #3
james0246

"The Force Awakens"...? When was it asleep? Were the previous 6 movies and multiple games and television series all the 'Do Not Disturb' signs and only now will the story start?

Well at least it is not as bad as the Batman v. Superman title Dawn of Justice...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 13:39   Link #4
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
"The Force Awakens"...? When was it asleep?
I suppose it's referring to a rebirth (awakening) of the Jedi Order. If that's the case, then it went "asleep" at the end of Episode III.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 14:30   Link #5
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It depends on what Luke does after Return of the Jedi. He is basically the last Jedi Knight. The Sith are dead and there is no one else that can teach properly. Thus, until or unless Luke starts teaching, the Force sleeps, so to speak.

He was told to pass on what he had learned. But the balance of the Force was that is was only him. But we know there are other Force users and sensative people out there. Untrained, what does that do to the balance, or will it be that the raw Force is awakening to fill the void left by there being only one Jedi?
Old 2014-11-07, 14:59   Link #6
monster

Whatever the case may be, after having just finished watching Clone Wars (both the movie and the two TV series), I wish there would be some mention of what happened to Ahsoka, maybe even see her as an (old?) woman, but there's almost no chance of that happening.
Old 2014-11-07, 16:36   Link #7
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I'm going to go with monster on the Jedi Order being restored theory. Makes the most sense to me with this title.
Old 2014-11-07, 17:21   Link #8
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Who knows if this is even going to follow current Expanded Universe canon?

I'd be very surprised if it follows the most recent books (such as the Legacy of the Force series). If I had a favorite to become the new trilogy, it would be Thrawn hands-down. Second choice would be, following the idea of new beginnings with the title, the New Jedi Order.

That being said, probably won't happen. I think that the New Jedi Order is WAY too far down the Expanded Universe timeline to make it into the movies. Too many people that have only seen the movies or TV shows and not read the books will have no idea what's going on. Most likely it will be the Jedi Praxeum, with other "new" Jedi like Kyle Katarn, Corran Horn, Kyp Durron, Mara Jade, and Cilghal (among others).

That being said, I have quite a few friends that think that they're going to reboot the entire series and it's not going to have anything at all to do with the books. I hope that isn't the case, but considering that it's Disney we're talking about, I wouldn't put it past them.
Old 2014-11-07, 18:19   Link #9
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Who knows if this is even going to follow current Expanded Universe canon?
I thought those are deemed not canon. Anyway, Jacen is the only character I am interested in out of that whole thing, so it's not a big loss to me if they don't follow any of it beyond possibly taking some ideas as inspirations for some details here and there.
Old 2014-11-07, 18:57   Link #10
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Well, if The Force is making a "comeback" so to speak, there needs to be balance. It's a good bet that several of these latent, untrained Force sensitive inhabitants on the New Republic will turn out to be darksiders.

Also, I listened to a podcast today that examined the possible meaning of the new title quite well, such as the absence of numerals may make it more accessible to those who might not have seen any of the previous movies.

Endless "Something something nickname" Soul
Old 2014-11-07, 19:27   Link #11
monster

Has Star Wars ever defined balance? A few dozens (if not hundreds) of Jedi and 2 Sith with a scattering of other Force-sensitive individuals throughout space don't seem to be detrimental to any balance. Or does it?
Old 2014-11-07, 20:58   Link #12
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One Jedi that has touched the dark side seems like balance.
Old 2014-11-08, 05:01   Link #13
Blaat

Awful title.
Old 2014-11-08, 07:03   Link #14
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The title is suitably 1930s pulp serial in style to be Star Wars.

It it has a clear meaning by the end of the film will be if the title is good or not.
Old 2014-11-09, 01:12   Link #15
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
I thought those are deemed not canon. Anyway, Jacen is the only character I am interested in out of that whole thing, so it's not a big loss to me if they don't follow any of it beyond possibly taking some ideas as inspirations for some details here and there.
Most of them are canon, with a few exceptions that got retconned after the prequels got released (such as Boba Fett's backstory back when his real/original name used to be Jaster Mereel, but it was later changed to him being a clone of Jango and he simply used Jaster Mereel's old set of armor).

Only book series that, as far as I'm aware, treads a fine line in canon (that is, most likely is disregarded as bullsh*t) is the Lost City of the Jedi series. I'm pretty sure that stuff is non-canonical. But the rest is. Even that terrible pseudo-horror book Red Harvest. Bleeeeeeeeeeeeeergh.
Old 2014-11-09, 03:41   Link #16
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Most of them are canon, with a few exceptions that got retconned after the prequels got released (such as Boba Fett's backstory back when his real/original name used to be Jaster Mereel, but it was later changed to him being a clone of Jango and he simply used Jaster Mereel's old set of armor).

Only book series that, as far as I'm aware, treads a fine line in canon (that is, most likely is disregarded as bullsh*t) is the Lost City of the Jedi series. I'm pretty sure that stuff is non-canonical. But the rest is. Even that terrible pseudo-horror book Red Harvest. Bleeeeeeeeeeeeeergh.
Quote:
While Lucasfilm always strived to keep the stories created for the EU consistent with our film and television content as well as internally consistent, Lucas always made it clear that he was not beholden to the EU. He set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align.

In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe. While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded. Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe. For example, elements of the EU are included in Star Wars Rebels. The Inquisitor, the Imperial Security Bureau, and Sienar Fleet Systems are story elements in the new animated series, and all these ideas find their origins in roleplaying game material published in the 1980s.
My take on the above, especially the parts in bold, is that while the creators will be able to freely take story elements from the existing Expanded Universe, they are not bound to the works of the Expanded Universe, making these works not canon even if they may contain story elements that are/will be considered canon moving forward.

Source
Old 2014-11-10, 01:06   Link #17
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
"The Force Awakens"...? When was it asleep? Were the previous 6 movies and multiple games and television series all the 'Do Not Disturb' signs and only now will the story start?

Well at least it is not as bad as the Batman v. Superman title Dawn of Justice...
My thoughts exactly.
Old 2014-11-10, 01:23   Link #18
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Depends entirely on what Luke Skywalker has been doing the last 30 years. If he's done basically nothing...the Force sleeps, as the only "master" is doing nothing. As far as the audiance understands it from just the six films, Luke is the only actual trained user of the Force that exist in the Galaxy. Leia has a connection with the Force, but no skill or training. All the other Jedi have died and all the Sith are dead. There is only Luke. Only the Skywalker.

If he does nothing, the force does nothing. But something must get him to do something, or the Force decide it doesn't want to wait for Skywalker any longer. The Force Awakens.
Old 2014-11-10, 12:01   Link #19
GDB

Can't recall if it was an interview, synopsis, or just speculation, but what it said was basically Luke went and isolated himself after Return of the Jedi so as to not interfere with society. Possibly due to a fear that he might become a tyrant if he did, given how powerful he was. So, he basically became Yoda/Obi-Wan until this movie, when he comes back to the stage for whatever reason and the Force Awakens in the universe or some such.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-10, 12:21   Link #20
monster

I wonder if Luke will be the main character or if he will play the role of Obi-Wan to a younger character.