AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2015-01-15, 17:57   Link #41
Lefay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
It's extremely likely Red Robe is related to the assassination attempts in some way so I'm worried we might get a run in at some point this loop since wouldn't he notice if his assassinations failed for the first time in probably hundred+ loops. Or maybe he won't notice since it's something that's worked so many times that all he does is the initial set up for it at the start of each loop.

Then again this is only the second loop since the big run in show down they just had so I guess another run in might be too soon, definitely too soon for Zorian to stand any kind of more effective chance.
It's possible, but most of the victims were also missing months before the time loop begins. Was Red Robe related to the assassin organization or the invasion forces (same group?) before the time loop began? Judging from the lich's comments, it seems he's a recent addition to the invasion, mainly because of his knowledge.

It's been a few loops since the showdown, but Red Robe might think he's got Zorian already by killing the mercenaries.
Lefay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-15, 18:26   Link #42
Xacual

As I stated in my post further up, it's very likely that Red Robe was in a position to know about Zach being put in a loop to further his magic development and took advantage of it for his own gain. That's why I believe that even if people died before the loop started he might have had a hand in it. Basically I don't believe that Red Robe was like Zorian and just sort of stumbled into the time loop situation.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-08, 20:51   Link #43
NotteBoy97

New chapter out.
NotteBoy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-10, 17:04   Link #44
Boccob

Just got done binge reading this. I have to say I really like it. There's some definite Dungeons and Dragons going on here though (some terms are really specific to the old 2nd edition pen and paper books, which my name comes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greyhawk_deities#B).

But more importantly this is a better version of what Edge of Tomorrow wanted to be.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1631867/

The main character isn't a pansy or idiot like Tom Cruise's character was. And he's learning actual skills instead of just straight up rote memorization. Which is something Tom Cruise did way too much in that movie.

Quote:
It's extremely likely Red Robe is related to the assassination attempts in some way so I'm worried we might get a run in at some point this loop since wouldn't he notice if his assassinations failed for the first time in probably hundred+ loops. Or maybe he won't notice since it's something that's worked so many times that all he does is the initial set up for it at the start of each loop.

Then again this is only the second loop since the big run in show down they just had so I guess another run in might be too soon, definitely too soon for Zorian to stand any kind of more effective chance.
For all Red Robe knows this could be Zach's doing. With Zach running around unpredictably sometimes, and the recent addition of several permanently dead entities, the loop could be getting unstable and we'll be seeing wildly diverging scenarios playing out. It'll get even worse if Zach or Zorian figure out how to permanently remove people. It'll be like a game of chess that you reset on checkmate and remove a pawn each time.

Last edited by Boccob; 2015-02-10 at 17:25.
Boccob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-10, 17:30   Link #45
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boccob View Post
Just got done binge reading this. I have to say I really like it. There's some definite Dungeons and Dragons going on here though (some terms are really specific to the old 2nd edition pen and paper books).

But more importantly this is a better version of what Edge of Tomorrow wanted to be.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1631867/

The main character isn't a pansy or idiot like Tom Cruise's character was. And he's learning actual skills instead of just straight up rote memorization. Which is something Tom Cruise did way too much in that movie.

Overall though am I alone in thinking his new openness and compassion came from the little bit of soul he took from Zach? I don't think it's shown if Zach changed any? I bet he got more paranoid.
One start as smart mage from noble family.
The other started as unlucky reporter in front line without any battle experience.
Of course he was idiot and cowards at the start of the movie but that was the whole point of the story.

By the way, Edge of Tomorrow original story was different from the novel.
They western the story and add happy ending since it will sell more like that in USA market

They even change novel name "All You Need Is Kill" to Edge of tomorrow to be clear about that from the beginning.

With that out of the way, this novel is pretty interesting, if I have to say, I though it was translated light novel at the beginning
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-10, 17:39   Link #46
Xacual

Zorian isn't from a noble family as far as I remember, just a moderately well off merchant family. Zach is the noble.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2015-02-10, 17:44   Link #47
Boccob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
With that out of the way, this novel is pretty interesting, if I have to say, I though it was translated light novel at the beginning
It definitely has that feel. I'm not sure what gives it that vibe? Is it the pacing?
Old 2015-02-11, 10:40   Link #48
Haigi

10 chapters in and it's still looking interesting for me. At least he doesn't reset completely after every revert. Would make it pointless if he can't do anything.
Haigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-11, 14:40   Link #49
bludvein

Finally got around to reading the latest chapter.

Most important points are...

1. Zorian now has access to Zach's location at all times as long as he is in Eldemar.

2. He now has access to some books detailing some heavy-duty illegal combat magic.

3. He now has a workable plan to defend himself from soul magic.

4. The merchant Zorian was going to spy on is involved in the invasion somehow.

Now all that's needed is to spend a good 4-6 months learning what he can from Alanic and Lukav and polishing his mind reading. Then he can retry the spy mission on the merchant and follow where that leads. Alternatively, he can also track down another Aranea community before doing the cloak and dagger thing.
bludvein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-11, 14:46   Link #50
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvein View Post
Finally got around to reading the latest chapter.

Most important points are...

1. Zorian now has access to Zach's location at all times as long as he is in Eldemar.

2. He now has access to some books detailing some heavy-duty illegal combat magic.

3. He now has a workable plan to defend himself from soul magic.

4. The merchant Zorian was going to spy on is involved in the invasion somehow.

Now all that's needed is to spend a good 4-6 months learning what he can from Alanic and Lukav and polishing his mind reading. Then he can retry the spy mission on the merchant and follow where that leads.
You left out that it seems likely that Red Robe didn't get into the time loop by piggy backing off Zach's spell personally and directly which adds to the idea that he was in position to know of the time loop spell ahead of time.

Old 2015-02-11, 14:57   Link #51
bludvein

Quote:
You left out that it seems likely that Red Robe didn't get into the time loop by piggy backing off Zach's spell personally and directly which adds to the idea that he was in position to know of the time loop spell ahead of time.
That's a bit of a stretch. It could be as simple of him being smart enough to cloak against divinations or coming up with his own method somewhere along the line after coming in contact with Zach.

Frankly, if Red Robe was in the loop from the beginning he would be a much better mage. He's good, but no match for even Zach much less the lich. Considering Zach pretty much started from zero while Red Robe seems to be an older man, that seems to me like he joined the loop after it had already been going for a while.
Old 2015-02-11, 15:09   Link #52
Xacual

Quote:
That's a bit of a stretch. It could be as simple of him being smart enough to cloak against divinations or coming up with his own method somewhere along the line after coming in contact with Zach.

Frankly, if Red Robe was in the loop from the beginning he would be a much better mage. He's good, but no match for even Zach much less the lich. Considering Zach pretty much started from zero while Red Robe seems to be an older man, that seems to me like he joined the loop after it had already been going for a while.
Not really, remember a lot of Zorian's added ability comes from the bit of Zach boosting his mana supply at least a bit, not counting the obvious loops giving him tons of training time. I believe it's very likely Red Robe was a mage much like Zorian before the time loop.

But no what I meant was that if Red Robe had the same marker as Zorian and Zach then he should have been able to easily locate both of them, the fact that he didn't indicates he can't find them easily if they both go off the radar and all he would need to do is find Zach to learn about Zorian with how easily Red Robe can take care of him.

Old 2015-02-11, 15:21   Link #53
bludvein

Quote:
Not really, remember a lot of Zorian's added ability comes from the bit of Zach boosting his mana supply at least a bit, not counting the obvious loops giving him tons of training time. I believe it's very likely Red Robe was a mage much like Zorian before the time loop.

But no what I meant was that if Red Robe had the same marker as Zorian and Zach then he should have been able to easily locate both of them, the fact that he didn't indicates he can't find them easily if they both go off the radar and all he would need to do is find Zach to learn about Zorian with how easily Red Robe can take care of him.
Zorian didn't get any added ability from Zach. The only thing their pseudo-soul bond gave them were some subtle personality influences.
Old 2015-02-11, 15:30   Link #54
Xacual

Quote:
Zorian didn't get any added ability from Zach. The only thing their pseudo-soul bond gave them were some subtle personality influences.
Yes it did, his mana capacity increased, it was mentioned quite a few times in the beginning. It's still not anywhere near good, but it's slightly better than it was.

Old 2015-02-11, 15:43   Link #55
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Yes it did, his mana capacity increased, it was mentioned quite a few times in the beginning. It's still not anywhere near good, but it's slightly better than it was.
his mana increase because he has been practicing. the more he lvl up the more MP he gains and the restart let him keep his lvls.
Old 2015-02-11, 16:02   Link #56
Blankdom

Quote:
Uhh, I'm pretty sure it said the reason why it increased, and it's not due to the merge. Re-read and find the quote & citation it if you're that sure, cuz right now its what, 2 or 3 vs 1?.

Also, I'm pretty sure it was stated, last chapter even, that only his personality may have been affected, and that's a long shot too, cuz it would have been anyways, lol.
Blankdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-11, 16:19   Link #57
bludvein

Here's the exact quote...

Quote:
"None, I think. Your soul appears to be converting it into just another piece of itself rather than trying to keep it distinct. So there shouldn't be any major personality shifts and you probably won't get any nifty abilities from whomever or whatever it was that donated a part of their soul to you. Though, I guess it is possible that the fragment had affected your personality to an extent when you first got it, before your soul had the chance to assimilate it sufficiently, and such influences may linger still. Do you think and act radically different ever since the incident?"
More importantly, there's a Q&A I posted on the previous page where the author flat out says it didn't influence his mana reserves significantly. Zorian's gains in mana reserves are just from the usual training.

Last edited by bludvein; 2015-02-11 at 16:47.
Old 2015-02-11, 17:13   Link #58
Boccob

After the last run in with Red Robe and Zach, I kinda think Red Robe might be pulling an aranea spider in that he's 3rd party time looper. But it may only be offensive.

I just can't imagine that of all the looper's involved that Zorian is both the smartest and most methodical.

So how about this theory: The beginning of each loop starts off with Zach's gaurdian trying to either read or destroy his mind. Which is why there's the scuffle each time.
Old 2015-02-12, 06:06   Link #59
Darius Drake

Honestly, we don't have enough information on who Red Cloak could be to make educated guesses about him/her. We can do the WMG Game all we like, and hit
five different future plot points, none of which related to Red Cloak.

But, hey, if we've started the Red Cloak WMG Game, I don't see a reason why I shouldn't participate.

1. Red Cloak's actually the first person to know about the Time Loop, and thus has been in it for longer than Zack. However, unlike Zorian and Zack, Red Cloak's Soul isn't taken back in time, only his mind/memories are, so he doesn't get the Shaping Skill/Magic Power increases of Zorian and Zack. Zack, meanwhile, was brought into the loop by Red Cloak, who was looking for a way to improve himself while in the time loop. Red Cloak still doesn't have the spell on him, however, as he can't find a way to cast it on himself, and was spending his time trying to work out a way to get his entire soul sent through.

Spoiler for Primordials:

3. Red Cloak was the person who accidentally made the Time Loop, and Zack was supposed to be a sacrifice for the spell. Spell goes haywire, Zack gets a part of the spell that send his soul back, Red Cloak's mind Hitch-Hike's back on the spell on Zack.

4. The one Zorian seems to currently believe. Zack's the centrepoint of the spell, and it was created for his benefit. Only Zack gets to benefit from the spell, because REASONS, before Red Cloak is invited in and wipes Zack's mind of the event. The Zorian enters the Time Loop due to the Lich.

5. Number 4, but Red Cloak is Veyers Boranova. If you don't remember who that is from the name (I don't blame you), it's the person who WAS in Zorian's class, until he lashed out in rage at a disciplinary hearing and got expelled. He was mentioned in chapter 2 and hasn't been mentioned again. I'm mentioning this possibility because while the character's been mentioned, we have no idea what he's doing and the "angry at being expelled" could be the reason why he's happy to see what might be his home town be smashed by the invaders. That said, I don't think it's likely. I am currently supporting the suspicion that Veyers is currently with Zorian's brother, Daimen, so that Zorian will have two people he actively dislikes and doesn't really want to be around when he actually goes to see Daimen (which I suspect is inevitable, but won't be for a while).

If it looks like I'm trying to promote the idea that Red Cloak has been in the Time Loop as long/longer than Zack, without as much benefit, there's a reason for that. I don't like how many questions there are in option 4, it doesn't seem to fit this type of story as anything more than a red herring. Questions like "How did he persuade Zack to let him into the loop? How did Zack forget everything that would have likely taken numerous repeats of the time loop to get him to enter? Why is he working for the Invader's, seemingly willingly?"
Darius Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-12, 07:41   Link #60
Haigi

Since now the Red Cloak knows there's a third time traveler, wouldn't the events of not being able to assassinate Lukav and Alanic be a trigger for him to come to the vicinity? If I assume they both die every loop if Zorian didn't interfere on this particular loop. That being said, will he have enough time to learn what he's learning for the next few restarts or will Alanic be permanently dead the next time?

Also, that little girl with the bicycle in the original cycle and the cat that replaced her spot in one of the loops. Will they play a part in this I wonder.
Haigi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, smart male lead, time loop