AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > News & Politics

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2017-03-23, 02:47   Link #61
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toukairin View Post
Aren't we straying away from the main topic of this thread?
You mean a thread to celebrate an elected leader who announces lies and gibberish on the internet? Talking about how great it is that 1/3 of the government is annihilated?

I got enough entertainment from the announcements made by leaders of Turkey and The Philippines, I have no room for a third lunatic.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 04:05   Link #62
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Well, how about you guys post your grievances and I'll respond by linking a Trump tweet? That way we're still on topic.

First Vallen:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...08211321425920
__________________
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 04:22   Link #63
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Iwakawa base and Chaldea
Age: 38
To his credit he have been good at winning the disgruntled blue-collar workers.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 04:28   Link #64
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
To his credit he have been good at winning the disgruntled blue-collar workers.
gonna cheat a bit for you: https://twitter.com/American_Bridge/...84888527327232
__________________
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 05:23   Link #65
Kakurin
私は影の国の女王、異境、魔境の主
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
To his credit he have been good at winning the disgruntled blue-collar workers.
Not exactly a hard thing to do if you are prepared to appeal to their emotional desires. Just look at the new leader of the German Social Democrats Martin Schulz. A classical eurocrat from Brussels people love to hate on, yet he's risen the German Social Democrats from the ashes. Since Sigmar Gabriel cleared the way for him in late January the party has gone from being stuck at around 23% for like forever to anywhere between 30 and 32% in the polls. And just now he was elected as party leader with 100% of the eligible votes. How has he managed that? By promising to roll back the Agenda 2010, the series of reforms in the labour and social systems by then chancellor Gerhard Schröder, that broke the party. And also by not hesitating to employ "alternative facts".
__________________
Kakurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 10:31   Link #66
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Does that not seem like the failure of the system (electoral collage/gerrymandering) rather than the will of the people to you?

he has a 39% approval rate, but supposedly most GOPs approve of him

what does this tell you? That's he's only a President for the GOP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Almost as if elections are gerrymandered and don't actually represent the will of the people.

This was discussed in the previous thread, where we also railed against the Electoral College and how it makes certain people's voices/votes worth more than others solely because of where they happen to live.
Just like how Democrats enjoy their portion of the gerrymandering in all of those blue states? Sorry, but this particular argument does not support National election and why Donald Trump is voted in places like Pennsylvania (last voted Gop 1988), Michigan (last voted Gop 1988) and Wisconsin (last voted GOP 1984) which didn't vote Republican for decades in past president election. Also notice when these same places are voting in Democrats the failed Electoral College system isn't brought up by the Democrats as often? How about facing the reality for once by acknowledging he is the president because millions of people in those States were unhappy with how things were going with their personal lives and they wanted a change. Please do remember, this is how Obama swept into office by promising hope and change. I'm sure the parallel in Trump's victory isn't lost on anyone where he is here to change things up also. Whether you believe him or not is another matter though reality is he IS the president and GOP controls congress and soon SCOTUS will drum the GOP beat.

How did that happen? Lay man answer is it took a while and the people that are unhappy with Donald Trump who are now paying attention to what he is doing and hanging onto everything he's saying, didn't pay the same attention in the past six years as GOP started taking sits away from the Democrats in the house and the senate.

Anyway, this is not the thread to discuss this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I quite literally explained why I am not just speaking for myself and you decide to go off on a tangent about support from the GOP base. That's fine that his supporters apparently like him, but also it means very little to my point which is credibility in the political world. Trump has lied on such an unprecedented level and doubled down when he's been proven false over and over again on even the most stupid and asinine issues. This is dangerous, particularly in times of national crisis. It is simply not normal and don't pretend it is business as usual.
Going off tangent is what you're doing. Your issues with him doesn't change the fact he's the current president and will continue to be until he is not. That's the reality. Whether you want to accept it or continue to pout, it doesn't change anything. In times of national crisis (god forgive), the Donald actually might garner even more support (as George W Bush had shown) as the people currently against him will grudgingly align with this country's best interest. Frivolity actually understands things much better than most American do that are still in denial including you. If those people in denial paid similar attention before the president election, Democrats would have been in control of the senate and the current situation would not have been as dire as people like you feel.

Don't derail my thread anymore.
__________________
Kudara nai na! Sig by TheEroKing.
Calling on all Naruto fans, One Piece fans, and Shounen-fans in general... I got two words for you: One-Punch Man!
Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 11:17   Link #67
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
There are only two directions from here: up and down.

Up: Americans realize that politicians who guarantee them free things are lying to them, and they react by re-enshrining the Founders’ bargain, limiting government to minimize the impact of lying politicians.

Down: Americans distrust everyone in politics but simultaneously embrace the lies of their own side, justifying tissue-thin conspiracy theories that put the other side at a disadvantage, breaking down the social fabric and the political discourse until all faith in the system disappears completely.
Down is what the republicans have been doing for both of Obama's terms and before. The unfortunate truth is that US politics have degenerated to the point where putting a stop to the ideas of the opposite side is considered a bigger victory than advancing America as a country.
Eisdrache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 12:12   Link #68
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Anyway, this is not the thread to discuss this.
We don't really have another thread to discuss it, and you brought it up in the first place. It's not really fair to throw your own political opinions and jabs in and then, while wielding a moderator badge, tell people not to derail your thread by responding to your statements.

But to be on topic, has 45 not been as outrageous on twitter lately, or has the media just decided to stop giving him that sort of attention? Haven't really seen reports about crazy behavior... other than him lying about what the FBI and Comey said in regards to the investigations in the middle of Comey's testimony.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 12:31   Link #69
Key Board
Carbon
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Correct me if I'm wrong Monir, but what you're basically saying "laugh with me or get out of MY thread"
Forget the the other 60 million who didn't vote for him. Might makes right, Trump is the president.period. You will laugh. Correct?

That being said, I am aware that democrats are part of the problem. It's clear they are a party that prefers appeasing Republicans than their voter base
..and they're still showing what kind of a party they are by continuously confirming this administrations selections

regardless, the other half of America realizes the current administration is at the root of a growing problem. And I'm sorry if some of us just can't laugh along and celebrate his tweets
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 13:02   Link #70
Archon_Wing
Underwhelmed
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Not here
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Not everyone is going to get this, but for those of you that are fans of Star Trek, there's always the parody of Trump using Gul Dukat that I like: https://twitter.com/realguldukat?lang=en

https://twitter.com/realRealDukat/st...81320344317952
https://twitter.com/realGulDukat/sta...47567123169280


FYI, I get it through here first....
__________________
Let us start here from Square one. No... from zero!
You do not wish to know anything. You wish only to speak.
That which you know, you ignore, because it is inconvenient.
That which you do not know, you invent.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 14:19   Link #71
Haak
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Don't derail my thread anymore.
No offense monir, but I don't think there's any hope for this thread remaining on track XP. One can't possibly discuss Trumps tweets without getting political and there's no other outlet to discuss the broader issues at the moment.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that there's going to be a lot of moderating done on this thread so before you do I'd just like to point out one thing: It's now been over a month since the US politics thread was closed and there's been no update whatsoever. Apparently there was supposed to be a decision, but if it's already happened it would be nice if the regular members weren't left in the dark so we know what to expect. Now I don't really like telling other people how to do their job, but I do think it's worth pointing out that this is just going to keep happening (threads getting derailed) until a clear cut decision is made. I mean if the admins really want to ban all discussion on Trump then so be it but would it kill them to just let us know?

And in all honesty, what exactly is the point of having a whole sub-forum for News and Politics when we can't discuss arguably the biggest political element of the world right now? I get that there's other news out there but we all know where the majority of the activity was going in this particular sub-forum. And whilst a a thread on Trump will probably turn toxic, wouldn't it be better to have it focused in one thread rather than simmering in others?
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 14:35   Link #72
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong Monir, but what you're basically saying "laugh with me or get out of MY thread"
Forget the the other 60 million who didn't vote for him. Might makes right, Trump is the president.period. You will laugh. Correct?
I don't want you to get out of my thread. I, however, will like if you stay on topic and contribute. Despite your views about him, you should pay more attention to what he is highlighting rather than how he is saying. This thread isn't about celebrating his tweets. Rather, it is to show how he is garnering support by what he says than how he says it. If Democrats want to take at least the Senate in the 2018 election, then they need to pay more attention about how Trump is capturing millions of working people. As for my sense of humor, let the record show I got a twisted one and I can't help it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
We don't really have another thread to discuss it, and you brought it up in the first place. It's not really fair to throw your own political opinions and jabs in and then, while wielding a moderator badge, tell people not to derail your thread by responding to your statements.
Feel free to create a thread. If you need help with copying some of these posts for context, let me know and I will wield my tyrannical mod badge to help you.

Quote:
But to be on topic, has 45 not been as outrageous on twitter lately, or has the media just decided to stop giving him that sort of attention? Haven't really seen reports about crazy behavior... other than him lying about what the FBI and Comey said in regards to the investigations in the middle of Comey's testimony.
He is behaving lately, to my disappointment, but he is still tweeting:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

he also snuck in his take on the "Russia story" by NBC and ABC

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
And in all honesty, what exactly is the point of having a whole sub-forum for News and Politics when we can't discuss arguably the biggest political element of the world right now?
Problem isn't what you can or cannot discuss. Some of you, unfortunately, have hard time keeping your wits together when discussing something as volatile as US politics, especially Trump. Those threads were closed because how quickly they degrade and become a constant headache for us.
__________________
Kudara nai na! Sig by TheEroKing.
Calling on all Naruto fans, One Piece fans, and Shounen-fans in general... I got two words for you: One-Punch Man!
Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 14:44   Link #73
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
On topic:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

http://www.cc.com/shows/the-daily-sh...rd-month-mania
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 14:50   Link #74
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
If they can make a show about it, we should be able to have a thread about it
__________________
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 20:49   Link #75
Key Board
Carbon
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I don't want you to get out of my thread. I, however, will like if you stay on topic and contribute. Despite your views about him, you should pay more attention to what he is highlighting rather than how he is saying. This thread isn't about celebrating his tweets. Rather, it is to show how he is garnering support by what he says than how he says it. If Democrats want to take at least the Senate in the 2018 election, then they need to pay more attention about how Trump is capturing millions of working people. As for my sense of humor, let the record show I got a twisted one and I can't help it.
Excuse me?

my problems have always been his policies? not the way he says things?

I am very much aware of his war on the working class and minorities, so yes, I am paying a lot of attention for my own survival
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 21:37   Link #76
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Going off tangent is what you're doing. Your issues with him doesn't change the fact he's the current president and will continue to be until he is not. That's the reality. Whether you want to accept it or continue to pout, it doesn't change anything. In times of national crisis (god forgive), the Donald actually might garner even more support (as George W Bush had shown) as the people currently against him will grudgingly align with this country's best interest. Frivolity actually understands things much better than most American do that are still in denial including you. If those people in denial paid similar attention before the president election, Democrats would have been in control of the senate and the current situation would not have been as dire as people like you feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I don't want you to get out of my thread. I, however, will like if you stay on topic and contribute. Despite your views about him, you should pay more attention to what he is highlighting rather than how he is saying. This thread isn't about celebrating his tweets. Rather, it is to show how he is garnering support by what he says than how he says it. If Democrats want to take at least the Senate in the 2018 election, then they need to pay more attention about how Trump is capturing millions of working people. As for my sense of humor, let the record show I got a twisted one and I can't help it.
I believe I was on topic. The very premise of your thread was how amusing you found our new commander and chief on twitter. I came here to express a point of view contrary to your own. It may have been funny sometime during the Republican primary, but this man now holds the office of the highest power in the land. With great power comes great responsibility you know?

Is it funny when Trump uses Twitter as President against private citizens who have zero recourse and end up getting harassed?
Is it funny when Trump casually undermines the credibility of our intelligence agencies over and over again on twitter?
Is it funny when Trump scapegoats nonexistent illegal voterson twitter for the reason he lost the popular vote to drive up white nationalistic support?
Is it funny when he casually tosses misinformed and erroneous allegations from sources such as Alex Jones and other conspiracy nuts into the public discussion?
Is it funny when he spends time on twitter tweeting instead of you know... reading his national security briefs in the morning?

You seem to believe that I fail to understand why Trump has appealed to voters in this country. Yes, his brash personality earned him a reputation with some folks for "telling like it is" which is a complete contrast to the automated robots in our political system. Yes, he provided a microphone for the grievances of poorer white rural blue collar workers. Yes, in more fearful and uncertain times he has painted himself as the protector of America who will save us from those outsiders coming in to change our country. There are many reasons why one may have come to like and become a true believer in Donald Trump. There will also be Republicans in this country currently happy that he's following through on his "promises" in a way of his own.

But like I said what of it? Am I supposed to ignore the breaking down of Democratic norms and institutions, things meant to protect the sanctity of this nation, just because people like it? You know what?

Quote:
66% of Trump's supporters believe that Obama is a Muslim to just 12% that grant he's a Christian. 61% think Obama was not born in the United States to only 21% who accept that he was. 67% of Trump voters believe the unemployment rate went up under Obama – which is the exact opposite of reality. 40% of Trump voters believe he won the popular vote – which is, once again, the exact opposite of reality. 39% of Trump voters believe the market has gone down under Obama – which is also the exact opposite of reality. A whopping 73% of Trump voters believe George Soros is paying anti-Trump protesters – though in reality, George Soros is not paying anti-Trump protesters. Even Trump’s lawyers concede there was no voter fraud in the presidential election, but PPP found that 60% of Trump voters apparently believe “millions” of illegal ballots were cast for Clinton in 2016 – which isn’t even close to resembling reality.
Do people really know what's in their best interest sometimes when they have no grasp on what reality actually is? I must be in a liberal bubble because I happen to actually you know, look at real facts sometimes, but guess what? The reason we have such pernicious beliefs in this country is because people like our sitting President decide to spread insidious falsehoods over and over again on social media. So yeah, sorry I don't find it funny. I am perfectly willing to dive into the absurdity of what's going on if you so wish, but I rather people not try to normalize what's going on because none of it is normal (Whether you believe that is good or bad).
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-23, 21:57   Link #77
Pocari_Sweat
Monarch of Rughzenhaide
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
As an australian I find great comedy in trump tweets because of how absurd and looney toones it can be at times. Not sure if it would be funny if I was living in USA though.
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-24, 02:10   Link #78
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 37
Quote:
If Democrats want to take at least the Senate in the 2018 election, then they need to pay more attention about how Trump is capturing millions of working people.
I paid attention. The conclusion is to just lie, about everything. Democrats can recapture the government if they treat voters like they are incapable of rational thought.

It worked in Turkey and the Philippines.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-24, 05:10   Link #79
frivolity
My posts are frivolous
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 29
^You're reinventing the wheel, that's been part of the Democrats' playbook since forever.
__________________
Warship Girls: <-- link
USS Nevada
Andrea-Doria, California, Vanguard, Richelieu, Prince of Wales

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-24, 05:32   Link #80
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
^You're reinventing the wheel, that's been part of the Democrats' playbook since forever.
Your projection is wonderfully on point. I assume then that you have managed to remove Democrats from all there part of the government, that the draining of the swamp would commence at any moment?

Oh, actually, I remember Trump saying he was joking about that. Or was he joking about joking?
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.