AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-11-08, 19:50   Link #1
Shay
Monarch Programmer

[Spoilers] Should Naruto be called something else?

Ok.

1) I don't won’t any...”Duh It’s called Naruto because It’s about Naruto" Cause that just simply isn't true.
2) I don't won’t any...”Duh It’s called Naruto because Naruto is the main character" Cause there is tons of anime out there with a different title than the main characters name.

Now with that said.....

We all know we are Narutards, which basically translated means we are Naruto fanatics, so we can deal with the fact the anime is called Naruto because we do research, we join forums to talk about it, and we read the manga.

But for your basic normal person who just watches the show without all the crazy stuff we do, isn't the name Naruto a bit much?

I mean we all know (Even the none fanatics) That Naruto is the main character, but if it wasn't titled Naruto you could easily mistake Sasuke or garaa as being the main man. (Ok maybe not a good example)

But what I'm trying to get at is this…There is so much going on in "Naruto That it really doesn’t have to be named Naruto, and because of it’s name the average watcher almost instantly know Naruto is going to win every life threatening fight he ever has.
Ok now lets here all your SUKI views.

Note: It’s been a while since I made a thread and I don't think Xris will be able to close this one so easily. (Well maybe he could )
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots

Last edited by Shay; 2004-11-08 at 20:17.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-08, 19:58   Link #2
FearTheMullet

No it shouldn't be called something else. It's called Naruto because he is the main point in the story, and because it is supposed to present the fact that he will more thne likely always win the meaningfull fights. Thats the whole reason Kishimoto called the series that. Plus Naruto himself has that main character vibe: he's the underdog, he failed as a child and now he is proving himself to the world. The perfect superhero, if you will. There are many great anime/mangas where the main figure is the same as the animes/mangas name itself. Like GTO, Great Teacher Onizuka, great anime, probabbly one of the funniest I've seen. The main caharacters name is Eikich Onizuka.
FearTheMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-08, 20:15   Link #3
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheMullet
No it shouldn't be called something else. It's called Naruto because he is the main point in the story, and because it is supposed to present the fact that he will more thne likely always win the meaningfull fights. Thats the whole reason Kishimoto called the series that. Plus Naruto himself has that main character vibe: he's the underdog, he failed as a child and now he is proving himself to the world. The perfect superhero, if you will. There are many great anime/mangas where the main figure is the same as the animes/mangas name itself. Like GTO, Great Teacher Onizuka, great anime, probabbly one of the funniest I've seen. The main caharacters name is Eikich Onizuka.
Yes I know, I have also watched GTO Infact I have the series archived, but that’s not the point.

I know a lot of series are named after the main char, but in the case of Naruto could it be named something else to make the anime more enjoyable?

By the way I’m not totally against it being called Naruto, I’m just open minded and would like to here your views on what else it could be called and why.
Old 2004-11-08, 20:20   Link #4
UzumakiKitsu
Foxy Ninja

The Man said it best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Shakespeare
What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet...
(Don't ask me why Shakespeare is The Man, but he is, dammit.)
UzumakiKitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-08, 20:21   Link #5
Zek
Eyebrows...

Calling it Naruto reminds us that he really is the main character, which obviously is necessary... It's not exactly hidden anyway. Naruto would definitely still be the main character regardless of the title. Obviously some series put more focus on their main character than this one does, but if anybody qualifies as the main character it's Naruto.
Zek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-08, 20:22   Link #6
lotus_lee

Well, maybe when they license it for Western audiences, they might call it something like 'Uber-cool Ninjas and Stuff'.
lotus_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-08, 20:37   Link #7
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UzumakiKitsu
The Man said it best...

(Don't ask me why Shakespeare is The Man, but he is, dammit.)

I can't believe I'm challenging Shakespeare but what the hell he's dead.

But for the people who have never heard the word "Rose" Before and then smelled it, would they call it something other than a "Rose"?
Old 2004-11-08, 20:44   Link #8
Jack Frost
Hi-Ho!

I agree that the name of a series really isn't all that important; it's the contents that matter in the end, however I sure couldn't think of a more suitable name for "Naruto". Naruto is the main character, all of the other characters revolve around him. Everyone else has been affected by him in some way (usually positive), so I guess it's only natural to name the series after him. Despite how the focus may drift a little it's still about Naruto's journey.

In the end it doesn't matter what the rose is called because it will still have a pleasing scent. The point being that the name really has no value, it's qualites remain the same regardless of the name. I don't think someone who hadn't heard the word "rose" before would call it anything; It would simply be a sweet smelling flower.
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-08, 20:52   Link #9
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Frost
In the end it doesn't matter what the rose is called because it will still have a pleasing scent. The point being that the name really has no value, it's qualites remain the same regardless of the name. I don't think someone who hadn't heard the word "rose" before would call it anything; It would simply be a sweet smelling flower.
I know and understand the concept of the saying,
but that is exactly my piont, but in reverse.

If this show was called something else would you really mind, would you really notice, would you stop and think hmm this anime should be called Naruto?

Ok I probably named and started this thread wrong.

*Could "Naruto" be named something else and why?*
Old 2004-11-08, 21:01   Link #10
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
We could always name it " Mahou shoujou Sasuke-chan "
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-08, 21:43   Link #11
A.L.

Naruto is the main characer and thus deserves the title.

However, there is a good, logical explanation in which the name "Naruto" may be a better name for the anime than you think. If we completely toss out the story and characters and totally disregard everything, Naruto is a good name. Why is that? It's simple; it is, because Naruto is a title with one name. There was a poll made for teens. When given the choice of a title for a book without knowing anything about it, they would choose the titles with one word in it.

Now, if we add the story and such, it gets a bit complicated. But in an overall sense, it's called Naruto, because the events revolve around Naruto's life. You're not, all of a sudden, going to see a character that Naruto will not be directly or indirectly affected by. All the occurences and parts of the story that occur are meant to focus on things relating to him and any such way. Regular people shouldn't think that Naruto is not the main character. He was in the first episode and most of the episodes star him than any other character. (Unless inanimate objects are somehting you count as characters that aren't supposed to count as characters.)

The name "Naruto" is perfectly acceptable. It is a one-word title that is the name of a person (Which is usually preferred) and it is appropriate due to Naruto being the character the story revolves around.

(Also, if the main title was named "Sasuke" people may automatically think of it to be a ninja-manga based on historical events due to connection of the name "Sasuke.")

Last edited by A.L.; 2004-11-08 at 23:48. Reason: typos made me frustrated
A.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-08, 21:48   Link #12
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.L.
Naruto is the main characer and thus diserves the title.

However, there is a good, logical explanation in which the name "Naruto" may be a better name for the anime than yout hink. If we completely toss out the story and characters and totally disregard everything, Naruto is a good name. Why is that? It's simple; it is, because Naruto is a title with one name. There was a poll made for teens. When given the choice of a title for a book without knowing anything about it, they would choose the titles with one word in it.

Now, if we add the story and such, it gets a bit complicated. But in an overall sense, it's called Naruto, because the events revolve around Naruto's life. You're not, all of as sudden, going to see a character that Naruto will not be directly or indirectly affected by. All the occurences and parts of the story that occur are meant to focus on things relating to him and any such way. Regular people shouldn't think that Naruto is not the main character. He was in the first episode and most of the episodes star him then any other character. (Unless inanimate objects are somehting you count as characters that aren't supposed to count as characters.

The name "Naruto" is perfectly acceptable. It is a one-word title that is the name of a person (Which is usually preferred) and it is appropriate due to Naruto being the character the story revolves around.

(Also, if the main title was named "Sasuke" people may automatically think of it to be a ninja manga based on historical events due to connection of the name "Sasuke."
Good answer!!

Ok, you can do yaw thang now Xris. LOL!

Really though that was a good answer.
Old 2004-11-08, 22:57   Link #13
Bflip
Cirque Dame's Jonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
it’s name the average watcher almost instantly know Naruto is going to win every life threatening fight he ever has.
Naruto does not win every life threatening fight. He just got lucky that person decided not to kill him in the end.

Spoiler:

I think that Naruto is a good name for the anime, BUT I don't think it's the only name that would be good. I SERIOUSLY do not want the name to be changed right now, in the middle of the series (if that was what you were implying), but I wouldn't mind if it was called "The Way of the Ninjas" (In Japanese of course) or "Shinobi's of Konoha" or some other crap. But Naruto is a nice name.

And by the way, it's pretty obvious the main character is Naruto.
Bflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-08, 23:30   Link #14
socomberetta
Dreaming of you.

It's a little too late to change the name of the show, but a more appropriate title would have been, "The Wonderful World of Ninjas"
socomberetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-09, 00:07   Link #15
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
But what I'm trying to get at is this…There is so much going on in "Naruto That it really doesn’t have to be named Naruto, and because of it’s name the average watcher almost instantly know Naruto is going to win every life threatening fight he ever has.
Heh. I don't think if the series was called something else, readers would be naive enough to think Naruto wouldn't win most of his fights. Of course he gets his ass handed to him on occasion, but he usually manages to come out on top. You can have examples like Ranma 1/2 and Hajime no Ippo where the hero does almost always win, but then against that you also have Dragonball (come on, who doesn't know Goku is going to win) and One Piece and HunterxHunter and Shaman King and many others. The main character winning is a shounen manga tradition, so I don't expect anyone would have been fooled if Kishimoto had chosen to name it "Blonde Ninja Dude and his Happy Little Friends" or something.
Old 2004-11-09, 00:31   Link #16
Kayess
Guy From Canada

[QUOTE=Shay]
[QUOTE]

Naruto lost to Orochimaru in the forest.
Naruto lost to the shark guy... whose name escapes me at the moment..

Spoiler:

And all of these fights are VERY life threatening... but something happens to save him.

Naruto is strong.. and determined.. that is why he does not lose often.
Kayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-09, 00:41   Link #17
PerniciousJuJu
Yummy kakashi thighs...

Send a message via AIM to PerniciousJuJu Send a message via MSN to PerniciousJuJu
as long as no one says "It should be called sasuke" it's all good.. lol
PerniciousJuJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-09, 01:42   Link #18
Green²
It's bacon!

Titles with main character names are quite common. Sort of like Ebichu. Although a better title for that would've been "Last Action Ero",.. but I didn't mind its current title. It just happens at times.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-09, 08:10   Link #19
Sasuke.ExE

Send a message via MSN to Sasuke.ExE
naruto

Well i dont, i mean naruto is always gonna win, he will always be the best and the funny character how can a chracter have all that in one I think they went too far in making naruto too strong. GOD! for a genin to do kage bushin no jutsu under water and make all of them do rasengan come don't you think thats going too far for a genin, thats like jounnin level if you think about it, naruto cant have that much chakra and he wasn't even using that nine tails fox thing kybii what ever u call it.But naruto will never lose, he will always be the best and i dont like that.

Look at dragonball z goku is the main chracter but at least he got batter up real good and it wasn't him killing everyone at least other dbz chracters had there roles it just wasn't goku all the time.

Naruto anime should not be called naruto cause it makes the other chracters in the anime feel worthless if naruto is gonna win all the time.
Sasuke.ExE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-09, 11:35   Link #20
Yakushi-san

Quote:
Ok.

1) I don't won’t any...”Duh It’s called Naruto because It’s about Naruto" Cause that just simply isn't true.
2) I don't won’t any...”Duh It’s called Naruto because Naruto is the main character" Cause there is tons of anime out there with a different title than the main characters name.

Now with that said.....

We all know we are Narutards, which basically translated means we are Naruto fanatics, so we can deal with the fact the anime is called Naruto because we do research, we join forums to talk about it, and we read the manga.

But for your basic normal person who just watches the show without all the crazy stuff we do, isn't the name Naruto a bit much?

I mean we all know (Even the none fanatics) That Naruto is the main character, but if it wasn't titled Naruto you could easily mistake Sasuke or garaa as being the main man. (Ok maybe not a good example)

Note: It’s been a while since I made a thread and I don't think Xris will be able to close this one so easily. (Well maybe he could )
My guesses:

1) He just took out the name of a random one.
2) He decided on "Naruto" as the title right after figuring out the concept.
3) The series was more focused on Naruto at first, but figured that too much focus on him would turn boring after a while.
4) He had planned MANY arcs before publishing the manga, and found out that Naruto is the one that appears on all, or most of the missions.
Yakushi-san is offline   Reply With Quote