AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-03, 13:57   Link #81
suguru
京都 ikitai~

The no DRM part is nice, but Crunchyroll's avi seemed better quality than BOST TV's mp4 to me from what I saw on Druaga (and they don't have DRM on the file either). I think $3 an episode isn't too bad for a high-res download, it'd be nice if they hit $1.99 like iTunes, but to me the dollar difference isn't intolerable, and I like the direction Gonzo is going in with the same-day subbed downloads so I want to support their efforts.
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 14:05   Link #82
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
Quote:
Crunchyroll's avi seemed better quality than BOST TV's mp4
are you talking about the ones used in druaga?
if so then its cause they weren't meant for the PC they were PSP/IPOD versions..
this time they are offering a full resolution (which is btw better then their stream) MP4 H264 encode in a 720x480 resolution(which is btw 212 mb)..
so it will probably look a lot better then crunchy's 300mb xvid avi version..
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 14:35   Link #83
cyth
Banned

I'll get BOST's for the next episode.

Also, shouldn't this topic be moved to Licensed forum?
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 15:02   Link #84
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
are you talking about the ones used in druaga?
if so then its cause they weren't meant for the PC they were PSP/IPOD versions..
this time they are offering a full resolution (which is btw better then their stream) MP4 H264 encode in a 720x480 resolution(which is btw 212 mb)..
so it will probably look a lot better then crunchy's 300mb xvid avi version..
Thanks, didn't know that, I was basing the comparison on what I saw with Druaga--good to know, maybe this time I'll go with BOST.
Old 2008-07-03, 15:56   Link #85
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

Why does only one of them have pants on?
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 15:59   Link #86
mandarb916

i don't think i'm going to watch this series to the end...I'll give it a chance and watch a few more episodes, but the basic premise being meh..and the fact that it's worse than Rosa+Vamp in terms of fan service is a huge turnoff...

To give some credit, though, Sawashiro Miyuki's performance as Perrine is better than her performance as Croche in Ar Tonelico 2...or atleast, the scripting for her personality is better
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 16:34   Link #87
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

I'm sorry, I got about half way before I closed it, all I could think is "Damnit, woman, put on some GODAMN PANTS!"
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 16:37   Link #88
suguru
京都 ikitai~

The fanservice level in the first episode was pretty off the charts--the school uniforms looked like something Onsokumaru would design, and I can't wait to hear the explanation for why everyone has to be down to their underwear with no pants when they're flying. I think the first four minutes was trying to tie Agent Aika for most panty shots per second.

Still, I think the story has some potential, the action sequences were pretty good, and it's an interesting enough cast I'll give it a few more episodes at least. Normally, I hate CG in anime, but they did a decent job mixing it in with the regular animation--sure, the CG invaders stand out a little, but you could say they're supposed to. It'll be interesting to see what kind of backstory we get on Mio and all the other characters--it's a pretty big cast for a one-cour series.

The video quality on the BOST version does look pretty good, although the BOST logo watermark at the top right of the screen is a little annoying given I paid $3 for it, but fortunately it's not too noticeable.
Old 2008-07-03, 16:47   Link #89
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroduc View Post
I think the question you should be asking is...

"Why do they all wear school swimsuits like it is the latest fashion"

Ahh, otaku fetishes

ep 1
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 17:32   Link #90
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
Quote:
it's a pretty big cast for a one-cour series.
is that info verified?

Quote:
"Why do they all wear school swimsuits like it is the latest fashion"
not -all- of them wear school mizugi, some of them had other types of swimsuits..
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 17:50   Link #91
Leedizzle

Oh my god, this show was like an exercise in self control.

I liked Sky Girls so I'm guessing I'll like this one as well. It seems they have basically the exact same things going for them.

Did anyone else notice the cameltoe tag for this show? LOL.
Leedizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 19:24   Link #92
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroduc View Post
What so ever do you mean! There is no girl in the show that has pants on.
There is this one trusnander strike witch who has <oh what's that english word for those things you wear on your legs>.

Well let's see...

Episode Summary & Thoughts

Spoiler:
(takes out hammer and chisle)
** carves name into to-watch list

The fanservice may be exagarated, as has been mentioned, but as long as it doesn't go the faithfull etchii way I'm fine with whatever dresscode they wish to adopt. Panty (or w/e) shots never really ever bothered me; it's when they throw it in your face and make it into some important scene or some sort of so called character development that it gets annoying.
Old 2008-07-03, 19:35   Link #93
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

1 year ago, we had Sky Girls. 1 year later from Sky Girls, we have Strike Witches, where girls wear swimsuits and no pants. I truly fear what we will have a year later from now. Humanity's degeneration leaves me in despair...

I originally wasn't planning on watching this anyways, but what I saw in the first episode really made that absolute.

For now, it's really sad how girls all wear swimsuits and no pants, while the men do for some reason. Winter must be tough for the girls.
I assume the creator of this series wanted to make the viewers go moe over the animal ears and tails that pop up for no reason? Sorry, but I didn't go moe at all...

Riding machines=OK
Wearing machines=OK Sorry, but I can't stand this concept...

And finally...
Wearing some kind of jet boots that cover the leg while sprouting animal ears and tail while wearing a swimsuit/bloomer/whatever while fighting strange creatures while making airplane sounds...
So absurd it's hilarious
But not hilarious in a good way

The OP and ED were nice though, mentally blocking out some parts.

Guess the best thing about this series is that it's only 12 episodes. It can hurry up, end, and let some new show take it's place...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 20:30   Link #94
Nemuru

Not a bad start, at least they didn't spend too much time giving Mio a reason to enlist into the army. Overall it was fairly enjoyable the fanservice didn't bother me but still I can foresee the next few discussion on why these girls are not wearing Pants, Bloomers FTW

Curious, but what’s the reaction on 2chan. One would think alot of people with loli fetish would be pleased to witness the norm presented in this society.

EDIT: I meant Yoshika Miyafuji
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 21:03   Link #95
phishn37
Time to fly ~ !

Well, this is a first. I've never seen a show that, in order to avoid having to animate skirts flipping up, just chose to eliminate them all together. So no matter what position these girls are in, there is always a panty shot. Becuase, of course, it's normal to have a shirt and underwear as a uniform. Oh, and why on earth were the cat ears and tail neccesary?

Sorry for the rant ~ ! In a bit of a bad mood. The loli-fanservice kinda ruined this for me. I think I would have enjoyed it otherwise. The animation is fluid and full of movement, and the chara-designs are basic and not too over-the-top. The action scene in the begginning was satisfying (excluding the crotch zoom-ups) and the music wasn't bad either. I also liked the character with the eyepatch. She was a tsundere-like person without being too bitchy or cold.

I'm really not sure if I'll watch any further than this. All in all, this could be a high-quality show if it didn't resort to ecchi elements.
phishn37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 22:29   Link #96
Seiryuu

After watching this, I think it could be entertaining. I doubt it'll be a suspenseful story to engage one's mind, but I think it'll be good for a few laughs. While it could be fun, I must say two things came to my mind very quickly. My first thought as I watched this was "These people really like to do closeup crotch shots". After that, "Do any female uniforms come with pants? Or at least skirts?"
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 23:29   Link #97
Nemuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishn37 View Post
Well, this is a first. I've never seen a show that, in order to avoid having to animate skirts flipping up, just chose to eliminate them all together. So no matter what position these girls are in, there is always a panty shot. Becuase, of course, it's normal to have a shirt and underwear as a uniform. Oh, and why on earth were the cat ears and tail neccesary?

Sorry for the rant ~ ! In a bit of a bad mood. The loli-fanservice kinda ruined this for me. I think I would have enjoyed it otherwise. The animation is fluid and full of movement, and the chara-designs are basic and not too over-the-top. The action scene in the begginning was satisfying (excluding the crotch zoom-ups) and the music wasn't bad either. I also liked the character with the eyepatch. She was a tsundere-like person without being too bitchy or cold.

I'm really not sure if I'll watch any further than this. All in all, this could be a high-quality show if it didn't resort to ecchi elements.
It seems some people went into this series without any knowledge of mecha musume. I will refer you to wiki to gain a better understanding of the character design here 'Mecha Musume Wiki page

For some figurine viewing, while it was posted back on the OVA thread, here's a link:

http://www.konami.jp/th/menu/index_mecha.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
Mecha musume are a recent trend in Japanese anime fandom. In Japanese usage the word mecha can refer to any kind of mechanical device such as a gun or a robot. In the case of Mecha musume they are specifically personifications of military hardware
Quote:
The clothing worn by mecha musume varies considerably. Besides military uniforms various anime-themes are also common, such as school swimsuits, seifuku, maid outfits and shinto shrine maiden dresses. The dress can sometimes help identify the military system. A shrine maiden's dress means the girl represents a Japanese aircraft or ship, usually from World War II. Various other anime themes are often incorporated, with animal ears being particularly common.
its nice to see Miyuki Sawashiro play the snobbish (the rich girl attitude), its like listening to shinku and Reika again .
Chiwa Saito always make the show more fun to watch with her in it.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 00:21   Link #98
PzIVf3

Oh no another loli series without wearing military pants probably the aerolegs make more comfortable move and aerodynamic freely.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 02:37   Link #99
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Decent action, story seems ok, characters are ok. I must say that I'm not really a fan, but I'll keep watching this to see how it develops. I'm diggin' prepubecent girls with school swimsuits on as a fashion statement . It's the style, so don't hate, but one does have to wonder WHERE exactly are the tails popping out from?

Also like to point out that Mio's laugh sounds so incredibly fake, it's just annoying >.>.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 02:59   Link #100
Blaat

loli cameltoes, the fanservice is a bit disturbing. And the sad part is I'll probably end up finishing this... or maybe not.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, bost tv, gonzo, kemonomimi, mecha, mecha musume