AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 09
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 113 61.08%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 44 23.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 13 7.03%
7 out of 10 : Good... 7 3.78%
6 out of 10 : Average... 4 2.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.54%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.08%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-02, 04:38   Link #221
Unknown Soldier
:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Actually, I'm impressed with Klein' progress... he manage to fight together with Asuna and Kirito...
All he did was keep the boss busy for 2 seconds. Asuna managed to keep the boss busy for 4 seconds, clearly she is twice as powerful as Klein. Then Kirito was like I'M BATMAN and he kicked the boss's ass solo. Aren't these bosses supposed to be fought by huge groups of front-liners? I guess you only need BATMAN after all, the other front-liners can go to lower levels and fish all day now!
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 04:44   Link #222
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
All he did was keep the boss busy for 2 seconds. Asuna managed to keep the boss busy for 4 seconds, clearly she is twice as powerful as Klein. Then Kirito was like I'M BATMAN and he kicked the boss's ass solo. Aren't these bosses supposed to be fought by huge groups of front-liners? I guess you only need BATMAN after all, the other front-liners can go to lower levels and fish all day now!
I'm impressed of his bravery .... its doesn't matter how long it took him to keep the boss busy... at least he tried... and believed in Kirito without doubt....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 05:01   Link #223
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

And here you people were saying that they'd be trapped in that room and have to beat the boss by themselves.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 05:12   Link #224
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
And here you people were saying that they'd be trapped in that room and have to beat the boss by themselves.
It isn't actually so far removed from how it ended up, in fact. But rather than being trapped in the room by the door closing, they were trapped because they had to rescue the Army guild members since teleport crystals didn't work. And in the end, though the Army took down the HP to about 75%, the rest was all Kirito, Asuna, and Klein. So it wasn't exactly as some (including myself) had speculated... but the net effect was essentially the same. In the end, circumstances basically trapped them in the room and they had to beat (finish beating) the boss by themselves.
Old 2012-09-02, 05:35   Link #225
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Makes you wonder what they'll do from the next floor onwards, especially if the doors start shutting behind them...blind boss fights with improvised tactics?
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 05:43   Link #226
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It isn't actually so far removed from how it ended up, in fact. But rather than being trapped in the room by the door closing, they were trapped because they had to rescue the Army guild members since teleport crystals didn't work. And in the end, though the Army took down the HP to about 75%, the rest was all Kirito, Asuna, and Klein. So it wasn't exactly as some (including myself) had speculated... but the net effect was essentially the same. In the end, circumstances basically trapped them in the room and they had to beat (finish beating) the boss by themselves.
Yeah, but the main difference is the reason they had to deal with it was because of human error rather than the game playing some kind of cruel trick.

The setup leaves it possible for players to live and tell the tale of "Teleport crystals no longer work".
Old 2012-09-02, 05:44   Link #227
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Makes you wonder what they'll do from the next floor onwards, especially if the doors start shutting behind them...blind boss fights with improvised tactics?
Get the maximum amount of strongest players and hope for the best. If it is wiped out, game over.
And ready tons of healing potions/crystals.
Old 2012-09-02, 05:46   Link #228
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Healing potions really aren't a reliable thing in this game though. It seems to only work either outside of battle, or while someone else keeps the opponent busy as you wait for your HP to fill back up.
Old 2012-09-02, 05:48   Link #229
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Get the maximum amount of strongest players and hope for the best. If it is wiped out, game over.
And ready tons of healing potions/crystals.
..or it may scare many players and floor clearers...
Old 2012-09-02, 05:57   Link #230
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
... LOL. Off-topic but demographics don't work that way. Index is a light novel, which is basically the Japanese subcultural equivalent to "young adult fiction" (fiction aimed at ages 14-21). Its manga adaptations are published in shounen-aimed magazines so shounen seems to be more plausible than seinen. The type of content (fighting or talking) largely has nothing to do with what demographic it is aimed at as there are always niches within demographics that might enjoy one more than the other.
Err, except none of that changes that there is a clear difference between shows like Bleach and shows like Toaru Index. Regardless of demographic, SAO is clearly not like Bleach or DBZ.

But of course, that's all beside my point. That point being that having Kirito suddenly whip out some dominating powerup to do what nobody else can is just corny (the bad kind) and looks dumb.
Old 2012-09-02, 06:16   Link #231
MartianMage

Pretty good adaptation for this episode.

But you know one thing I've noticed in SAO so far... teleport crystals never really worked when they need them lol <_<

Well coming from RO... yeah wings were cheap as hell lol
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 06:21   Link #232
MagicaLideaL
Madder Sky~
*Graphic Designer

Regarding the dual wield arguments, I personally think that Klash has a very good point there. To be honest, wielding 2 weapons is nothing unique. As long as the players like, I guess they could even wield 3 or even 4 weapons although it is not logical to do so.

It reminds me of a scene where Kirito visit Lizbeth's shop and broke her best weapon. Isn't Kirito holding 2 weapons as well at that scene? At that time, Kirito did not use the dual-wield skill like he did in episode 9. Thus, it simply means that holding 2 weapons do not need any skills.

That dual-wield skill of Kirito could just been a "Sword Mastery" skill which let Kirito to register a second one-handed sword and makes it different from taking out a weapon from the inventory. From what i have seen, Kirito's second weapon is drawn out by using the dual-wield skill and not from the inventory. This might just been the difference compared to the person who holds 2 axe at episode 4.

Besides that, Star Burst Stream is definitely a skill linked to the Dual-Wield Skill. It is fair to judge that Dual-Wield Skill is a pre-required skill to unlock Star Burst Stream.

Last edited by MagicaLideaL; 2012-09-02 at 07:28.
MagicaLideaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 06:31   Link #233
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
But of course, that's all beside my point. That point being that having Kirito suddenly whip out some dominating powerup to do what nobody else can is just corny (the bad kind) and looks dumb.
That much I agree with you. Unfortunately, I think we'll see many more of those moments. I'll be glad if I'm proved wrong though.
Old 2012-09-02, 06:38   Link #234
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicaLideaL View Post
Besides that, Star Burst Stream is definitely a skilled linked to the Dual-Wield Skill. It is fair to judge that Dual-Wield Skill is a pre-required skill to unlock Star Burst Stream.
Star Burst Stream is a Sword Skill (technique) of the Dual Blades skill.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 06:46   Link #235
ookamigirl

Asuna really mastered cooking.
An unexpected reunion with Klein was nice.
This boss room was a special sort... especially hard.
All of Kirito's fears came to life again in this fight.
This fight was a close one, even for him.
I didn't really expect him to accept the fight for Asuna.
Guess there are some real feelings between those two.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 06:56   Link #236
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookamigirl View Post
Guess there are some real feelings between those two.
Asuna's feelings was completd revealed unexpectedly when Kirito was at the edge of death... If I checked it right... she hugged Kirito for 2 minutes and 31 seconds without letting him go.... Her feelings finally reached him....
Old 2012-09-02, 07:10   Link #237
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan
Let's see.. based on episode 9. Kirito unleashed the Dual Wielding Skill which open up another skill... the Star Burst Stream. If anyone other than Kirito has Dual Skill, they can get access to this other skill too...
It does not necessarily mean so. Just make it the prerequisite to get the extra secret skill the same to the one we currently have to even unlock a dual wield skill. This way everyone will be able to dual wield, but the skill Star Burst Stream or any other awesome plot skill will be unique to Kirito alone. It's not really that uncommon in games is it? At the very least, they should've included a single, simple, and passive "Two-Weapons-Style Mastery" skill for everyone.

Anyways, sorry. I'll stay silent about this now, since that's really the only beef I have with this episode. Since this story is based on a game, the gamer in me simply couldn't stay silent with design flaws like this. If a game make even basic dual wielding mastery such an unnecessarily convoluted secret skill, they shouldn't even incorporate it in the first place.
Old 2012-09-02, 07:12   Link #238
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
If a game make even basic dual wielding mastery such an unnecessarily convoluted secret skill, they shouldn't even incorporate it in the first place.
Well... the author's the author...
Old 2012-09-02, 07:28   Link #239
MagicaLideaL
Madder Sky~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Star Burst Stream is a Sword Skill (technique) of the Dual Blades skill.
Yeah, my bad, accidentally spelled it wrongly.
MagicaLideaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 07:28   Link #240
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Asuna's feelings was completd revealed unexpectedly when Kirito was at the edge of death... If I checked it right... she hugged Kirito for 2 minutes and 31 seconds without letting him go.... Her feelings finally reached him....
I've watched the episode 6 times, including a lot of rewinding on the last part, so by my count she's been hugging him for close to 20 minutes.

Also finding it highly amusing that people would think that dual-wielding should be a basic, easy, skill and have no particular prerequisites.

Seriously, he gets bonuses from both swords which must be hugely overpowered so just giving the skill to everyone seems rather silly.