AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 19
10 out of 10 : Nearly Perfect... 30 28.30%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 37 34.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 21 19.81%
7 out of 10 : Good... 8 7.55%
6 out of 10 : Average... 6 5.66%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.94%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.94%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 2 1.89%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-11-10, 16:09   Link #21
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
He is supposed to be the most powerful player in the game after inheriting all his stats from SAO, so maybe his magic was high enough to do that?
Well his magic stat would be basically at one since it's a skill that didn't exist in SAO. The anime left out explanation on how that illusion works though.
Spoiler for GleamEyes Illusion Spell:

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 16:12   Link #22
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

well I think the monster skill is only effect kirito appearance and how he attack but still keeping his stat. consider how OP is kirito, he become level 90 boss instead standard player when he use that magic

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 16:13   Link #23
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
He is supposed to be the most powerful player in the game after inheriting all his stats from SAO, so maybe his magic was high enough to do that?
Magic didn't exist in SAO, so his magic stat should be beginner level, unless he grinded very hard between the last episode and this, which shouldn't be more than a few hours ingame according to Lyfa. Then again, if magic could be raised that easily and making the illusion spell so strong, Spriggans would be way too unbalanced compared to other races.
Old 2012-11-10, 16:15   Link #24
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Well since his stats were very high, those attacks he unleashed were lethal nonetheless.

So his stats and not his magic level determines the form he takes from the spell?
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 16:19   Link #25
Znail

I think that even if the spell only changed his apperance so was that quite a lot of an advantage anyway and I am not talking about the scare factor even. Monster Kirito had huge reach and could just ignore the shields as he could reach over and around as he pleased. That made a huge change in that fight.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 16:39   Link #26
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

Boss Kirito is boss. How I wish I'd be able to play as a boss monster in an MMORPG and pk players as well!!!
Old 2012-11-10, 16:40   Link #27
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Kirito is showing some serious signs of PTS Syndrome or he's just a gamer that takes games way too seriously.

Interesting to see Kirito dawn the appearance of a past enemy he encountered and barely survived. I'm starting to wonder if Kirito's Spriggan illusion magic is all based on his fears and experiences.
Old 2012-11-10, 16:47   Link #28
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
Monster Kirito had huge reach and could just ignore the shields as he could reach over and around as he pleased. That made a huge change in that fight.
It's an illusion spell, so the only thing affected should have been how Kirito appeared to everyone. That's why Lyfa said it was no good for combat, as the only practical use for such a thing would to dissuade other players from coming near you in a dungeon or something out of fear for themselves because they think there's a powerful monster there, not a player.

How would an illusion affect a player's range of attack? That's the main contradictory point behind the spell he used. It's an illusion so it has no physical form.
Old 2012-11-10, 16:48   Link #29
Znail

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuafaramir View Post
Boss Kirito is boss. How I wish I'd be able to play as a boss monster in an MMORPG and pk players as well!!!
They had an event like that way back in EQ were you could log on as a random monster instead of your normal character. It was pretty funny with the Crocodiles taking over the beach and hunting down the players. It was a bit too fun for the monsters though so they didn't try that one again
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 16:59   Link #30
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
It's an illusion spell, so the only thing affected should have been how Kirito appeared to everyone. That's why Lyfa said it was no good for combat, as the only practical use for such a thing would to dissuade other players from coming near you in a dungeon or something out of fear for themselves because they think there's a powerful monster there, not a player.
The main reason Lyfa thought it was useless for combat is because everytime she's seen it used it only resulted in a weak form.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 17:00   Link #31
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Extending reach too big of an advantage? Really now. It's just a skill to have fun with really. As far as I could tell, his stats didn't change. If they hadn't lost focus they still could have won.

I was feeling pissed every time that girl dissed illusion magic. Illusion magic is awesome.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 17:23   Link #32
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I was feeling pissed every time that girl dissed illusion magic. Illusion magic is awesome.
Oddly enough, it seems like she also uses illusion magic pretty regularly. The fake wall and all that.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 17:24   Link #33
Polarpew
Bash'a no falor talah

Send a message via AIM to Polarpew
so Bridge fight and town/lake, inside cave. Lord of the Rings the Twin Towers anyone?
Old 2012-11-10, 17:28   Link #34
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Oddly enough, it seems like she also uses illusion magic pretty regularly. The fake wall and all that.
She says it's useless in actual -combat-. Which it isn't. Unless the game makes it useless. Which it clearly didn't.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 17:31   Link #35
The Green One

The illusion magic had to do more then just alter appearance, how else can you explain being able to bite down on someone and kill them. Kirito himself even mentions he "lost" his sword in that form so he went at it hand to hand, with the longer reach the shields could no longer block him effectively. Causing the panic in his enemies just made it that much easier to win.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 17:31   Link #36
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

For those who think the politics involving the races in this arc is useless to the overall plot or whatsoever, I have to say your analysis are mediocre and shallow at best.

We should look at the overall picture of the arc and not just focus on the "rescue Asuna" plot-line.

Let's me clarify a couple of things first.

1. What is Kirito doing in ALO?
- Obviously, to check and see if the rumors are correct and if the person in the picture is Asuna.
2. What does Kirito know of ALO?
- Nothing whatsoever. He is a total newbie to the world.

So this leads us to question 3 which is:
- How can a newbie deal with this problem?

The most viable answer therefore is to gather more information on the world.
So how can a total newbie do that?

Just asking questions to random strangers isn't really the most effective way of gathering info in ALO (or any other MMORPGs. Any MMO players can attest to that). It is more effective to befriend a veteran and gather info after instead.

So Kirito befriends Leafa and therefore, has now access to her vast knowledge and experience in the world of ALO plus gaining a friend.

Now, what do we know about Kirito? What are views, beliefs and ideals concerning VRMMOs. What are his experiences regarding it? Everything was answered in the SAO arc.

We already know by now that Kirito cannot and will not betray his friends nor abandon them in their time of need. We already know Kirito is one show boating hero as was shown in the SAO side-stories.

Leafa, now considered as Kirito's friend, is now in trouble. A race war is brewing and Leafa's being suckered into it because it concerns her race and the power balance of ALO will shift to the Salamanders if it was allowed to happen.

Although she didn't ask for Kirito's help, we already know what Kirito will do right? Help her of course.

Now you ask "what's this got to do with rescuing Asuna?"

Let me clarify that for you. What do we know about the World Tree quest? We know that it is:
1. Nobody has every cleared it in the few years of ALO being online
2. There are super high level monsters in the base of the tree leading to the top.
3. Players can't fly to the top.

What are Kirito's thoughts about why it wasn't completed yet?
1. A undiscovered quest.
2. Requires the cooperation of races in order to beat the quest.

So this war of the races will be detrimental to Kirito's main objective, which is to climb the world tree, because he thinks that it's a cooperation of races to beat the quest.

What can Kirito gain if he helps the Sylph-Cait Sith alliance? He can gain their trust, friendship, and most importantly, help in order for him to climb the World Tree to finish his objective.

You see? Everything is intertwined and is ultimately important for the Rescue of Asuna.

It's not just a useless plot to drag the series nor it is like saving the Student Council instead of beating the MostEvilBoss.

As for battles not being consistent, there's an explanation that the Anime missed.

Spoiler for missed info from LN:
Old 2012-11-10, 17:34   Link #37
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuafaramir View Post
Snip.
All of your points are correct, but I doubt Kirito is thinking about this any deeper then the "help the friend" part since that's quite a big part of his personality.

Next episode will be one of the more amusing ones I think considering what's about to happen.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 17:39   Link #38
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Well since his stats were very high, those attacks he unleashed were lethal nonetheless.

So his stats and not his magic level determines the form he takes from the spell?
Yeah, that's the way it is.

Think of it this way.

Kirito's usual form doesn't look at all frightening even though his inherent stats are monstrous.

That illusion spell then creates an appearance that match those stats.

And since Kirito's have insane over all stats, the spell turns him into a boss monster that looks just as frightening as his stats suggest.

Basically, it's a spell for bluffing.

As for why he's able to one shot everybody, note that he is able to do that even without the transformation. He just needs to land a hit, but those player's formation manage to block him out. The bluff helped him screw up their formation for him to land a solid blow, thus allowing him to annihilate their squad at ease.
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 17:41   Link #39
Jerseykid

I hope it's more than just graphical change with Kirito's illusions, would make for a more interesting plot. Kirito hollow form!
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 17:43   Link #40
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

I think the illusion spell changes them into an actual monster. So the name "illusion spell" is very misleading. I mean remember what Kirito said?

He said "I was suddenly big and since I didn't have swords, I just grabbed them with my hands."