AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 49
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 5 6.58%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 6 7.89%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 5 6.58%
7 out of 10: Good... 10 13.16%
6 out of 10: Average... 12 15.79%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 9 11.84%
4 out of 10: Poor... 8 10.53%
3 out of 10: Bad... 4 5.26%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 6 7.89%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 11 14.47%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-23, 09:23   Link #41
quagmire

Destiny can finally stop being ragged on. This is by far the worst Gundam I have seen IMHO. It's funny how both series started out promising, but after episode 34 it started to go down hill quick. AGE went downhill faster than Destiny did. And Kio has stolen Kira's unofficial title. All hail Jesus Asuno...... At least Kira would kill when it was necessary..... Kio would sacrifice himself for the sins of people.....

The only thing I liked about this episode was the Yurin flashback.... And where did they get the AGE-FX's new weapon? The AGE Builder was destroyed and they didn't exactly push a container over to the Baranoke when they transferred over from the Diva..... And it was destroyed in mere seconds. Whatever happened to the commander of La Gramis? Did he go down when it exploded?

Bah, Gen 1 and 2 looked so promising...... Onto the next Gundam series..... Maybe go back to the 00 universe and create a series around the Innovator vs human war that took place between the end of the ELS battle and the epilogue.
quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 09:50   Link #42
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Destiny can finally stop being ragged on. This is by far the worst Gundam I have seen IMHO. It's funny how both series started out promising, but after episode 34 it started to go down hill quick. AGE went downhill faster than Destiny did.
Yeah. For me, AGE went down after the strong first three episodes. After that, it went silly. The series got back up (but still silly) during the 2nd generation, but, again, after Shanalua got killed and Kio got kidnapped in 3rd gen, this series went into the abyss of absurdity fast.

Anyway, congratulations to Destiny! You're no longer the worst Gundam series after this last episode of AGE.
Old 2012-09-23, 10:01   Link #43
Zeydra
A random passerby

There is one cool thing this episode gave us though, AGE-FX finally did a proper pose like the previous AGE Gundams.

Images
AGE-FX doing it's thing
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I've been waiting for the FX to do that one, and this episode finally delivered.
Zeydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 10:02   Link #44
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0m@n View Post
I like the sound of it. Making the main character a female and a pilot of a Gundam in the main franchise will definitely seem new and refreshing.
i know give been calling it yet over 30+ yrs yet been no gundam tv series with female lead?

give really since age project has fallen & not worked indeed time call in female lead for gundam.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 10:05   Link #45
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Nice final episode even if it did seem a bit lackluster.

8/10 for the series no where near as shitty as 0079 and SEED Destiny.

Really hope The Origin is an OVA I don't think I can stand 43 weeks/Episodes of Amuro and that quality pacing. Well at least the art will be better this time around. So please give us new universe and characters for a TV series Sunrise or remake Destiny to make it better instead.

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 10:11   Link #46
duotiga
Zander Yuusha Kyorugold

Send a message via ICQ to duotiga Send a message via MSN to duotiga
i find Danball Senki W has a better story progression & character development than AGE after looking at the finale (even though middle arc of fillers for w at least there's some explanation to the technology & filling plot holes)
duotiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 10:12   Link #47
gundamdrawer
Super Pilot

I am really disappointed with the ending. Honestly this is the first gundam age episode that im really disappointed. I enjoyed the entire series but the ending is really meh. Everything feels rushed. I'll just post what i think about the 3 asunos in this final episode.

Flit: I think he is still the main protagonist of the story and he really gets a closure. It is nostalgic when all the characters who died in gen 1 (except woolf who died in gen 2 but has been shown in his gen 1 loooks) was shown. Even though its so sudden that Flit changed his mind, it's still ok for me. Showing gen 1 Flit and then showing his current appearance now really shows how battle hardened Flit is but still change his views in the final moment. Gundam Age is really Flit's show. Flit really became a Saviour! And he also got infected by a Gold-ELS and became a metal being like Setsuna! :P Just kidding.

Asemu: Nothing really to say because he didn't actually did anything in this episode. He's closure happened last episode. We saw last episode how he became the "Protector" Flit told him when he was still young. However, we see how greatly matured Asemu is. From an annoying military brat to a very cool guy. His confidence on his own abilities is really on a different level now. Even when Flit told him that Zera Grins is a very high level x-rounder, Asemu just smiled and didn't even show any concern that he would be facing a high level x-rounder. I'm really biased on Asemu because he's my favorite character in this series but if he was given a stronger suit i think he can handle the final suit just fine. And he got his original hair cut back!In the portrait atleast! If only asemu could get his own series.

Kio: Hmmm, at the final episode, i feel that kio didn't accomplish anything. He defeated Zera Gins so fast. Many people complained how Asemu defeated Zeheart but atleast Asemu showed some skills there. But the vagan gear got defeated just like that. Nothing Epic. Really, compared to Flit and Asemu, everytime Kio defeated someone, it's not really that epic. Age-FX was wasted on kio. The suit is cool but the pilot is meh. I can't help but get annoyed when Flit became proud with Kio after defeating Zera Gins, and how Ezelcant thanked Kio for everything. Kio is the weakest link of the Asuno Boys. Kio just sucks. And Kio, consistent with his character design, looks the lamest in his adult form. Even though we didn't really see his full adult face. His Haircut seems lame. And no cool facial hair like his Grandpa and Father.

Anyway, I enjoyed the series. It has it's up and downs but ultimately I like it. There are epic and lame moments but it gave me my weekly dose of gundam for 1 year. Looking forward to next gundam series. I hope they'll focus on a pilot with no super human abilities and more realistic war setting.

I realized the reason why Kio sucks as of this moment is because unlike flit and asemu, he doesn't have a badass ally named woolf!
gundamdrawer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 10:30   Link #48
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Once the characters stopped developing as their own entity and started to become the representatives of concepts from past series the show just kind of lost any real gravitas it had ultimately. You just can't do this sort of finale when your main cast is this unlikeable and hard to sympathize with. It's a real shame that Level 5 and Hino didn't get something this basic, but hey they are game designers first and foremost and not anime screenwriters and well...ultimately I have to agree they betrayed that shortcoming in the end. Gundam as a franchise deserves better writing then this.

In the end I'll have to call AGE mediocre and it'll end up falling somewhere inbetween Seed and Destiny on the AU scale. Why do I still say Destiny was more of a disappointment? Well because first of all I actually remember Destiny (not just following the Gundam cycle here but taking things as a whole 15 year experience) and what a terrible stock footage, clip show and fan service filled mess of a production it was and where the writers let the fans ultimately dictate what happened with the story and characters . The love interest was also Stellar Lousier a crazy almost lobotomized personality, whereas at least AGE had the likes of Yurin and Romary who while not anything approaching great characters I could at least look at as human. I can still go on about why Destiny will probably always remain the weakest overall production in Gundams AU franchise, but lets get back to business. AGE HAD a sympathetic cast at one point just before the third act with the likes of Seric, Woolf, Grodek, Flit and dare I say even Asemu and Zeheart (pre Gen 3 Zeheart of course), but essentially tossed it all away for what I can only assume was to allow Hino to follow along with some easy already tried and true Gundam storylines that have worked in the past. However what he neglected was that these things worked with those shows and weren't going to work well with this one because what came before in the prior generations didn't really allow for it. It's pretty blatant to me that he just gave up trying to make AGE it's own thing, but really if seemingly everyone just summarily rejected you at the get go and you're dealing with a show that has such poor ratings and are getting so much hate for it (this was while things were going well in AGE land btw) are you going to put your best foot forward even when you lack experience?

I'm not trying to whitewash Level 5 and Hino's shortcomings here, but I can at least sort of understand how things ultimately got to this point on the production side of events. In the end I'll probably look at AGE as a show that was never really given a fair chance by enough people to make it a success (look how many people are commenting compared to 00 to get an idea of how big the audience is) and the staff behind it more or less acknowledging it in both a reduced effort to match up what came before with what came after at the halfway point and also in an attempt to try and go more and more with what was popular before (how did people like that mini arc of Soldiers of Sorrow events at the start of Gen 3?) in an attempt to salvage something out of the concept. Damned if you do damned if you don't really, cause I could easily still see a lot of familiar faces complaining regardless of what kind of ending we got.

Overall I'm not sure what's to be done with the Gundam franchise now. I already felt there was an overwhelming amount of negativity and scorn for any new entry in the franchise, and AGE has probably only made it worse by actually deserving some of it. How do you get a fanbase this rooted in the past, this critical of anything new...or familiar even to enjoy/appreciate/not gripe endlessly about something you create? The only two solutions I can come up with are to put the franchise on hiatus and then come back and be a little smarter about how they try to build a new audience. Like really do their research and find out just what kind of Gundam series might appeal to a newer generation of fans as opposed to having a company like Level 5 come in and tell them what people will like and assuming they are right because things worked for them in the gaming industry. The other solution would just be to end the AU experiment and go back to U.C for the next TV series since Unicorn seems to indicate that people are clamoring for and WILL buy product from the U.C timeline IF it's done justice. Be smart about it next time, and at the very least I think there has to be that long wait between entries, at least 5 years of hiatus. Let the negativity trickle out of the fanbase slowly over time instead of reigniting it so quickly with a new entry every 2-3 years.

I'll have more actual final impressions and comparisons in the eventual Overall Series Impressions thread where I'll have to conjure up that list I made and see what was achieved and what fell short with AGE in a little greater detail. For now I had just wanted to do a general talk about what I ultimately think went wrong, what needs to change with Gundam going forward and what I think were some of AGE's strengths (and it does have some on the whole) so I'll leave it at that.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 11:14   Link #49
akumaten

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-KLAC View Post
i told you so this series is abomination yet i was right on the point yet rushed it last boss only 1ep oh boy indeed PG-age ruined it all to watch from lack of characters develop, too much long time-skips, & mis-used of women in gundam.
The worst thing about it is the closet thing we got to a female lead was Loran in Turn A before Executive Meddling

But I digress....

Episode wise, they should had ended on 50 or 51 to give proper closure and a better battle.
akumaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 11:25   Link #50
RX93-2
White Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloko vi Britannia View Post
as shitty as 0079
What the hell are you smoking, cause I want some of that.
0079 series didn't age well in some regards but for being over 30 years old it's still damn good; the movies are great.
RX93-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 11:28   Link #51
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Giving Gundam a female lead or "better female characters" isn't going to change anything if the fundamental process of how they develop them is disjointed like it was in AGE and so many other mecha TV series of late (yes AGE is far from the only one even this season). Gender is not the issue, consistency and gravitas surrounding characters actions is. I don't understand why people make a big focus out the female cast in this shows handling when it's so far from the core issues at hand. Surely somebody here must understand this.
Old 2012-09-23, 11:40   Link #52
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Yeah, for a final episode, it was pretty subpar. Very rushed. But at least the Vagan Gear was cool....until Sid came along.

WTF was that all about? Sid repairs itself, flys to the battle, and humps the Vagan Gear for....what purpose? Because Zera is supposedly controlling it? I didn't get that feeling. As far as the episode goes, there was no explanation for that, it just happened. I hope the novel and a forthcoming special edition can shed some more detail about that. Of all the things in the episodes, that's the one that got me all "lolwat?" the most. What a waste of a good final boss mecha and its pilot. It's Descartes Shaman all over again. I know he wasn't a final boss, but he was still wasted way too soon.

6/10.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 11:49   Link #53
flack

Seeing the comments I am glad I stopped at episode 40.
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 12:06   Link #54
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
Seeing the comments I am glad I stopped at episode 40.
Comments on the internet are an absolutely terrible thing to go by most of the time (I've always preferred my own senses of quality), but in this case there's some fairness to it, not for everything though of course. To be able to say that for AGE though...I mean I couldn't really say that during 00 and some of the outlandish nitpicks and complaints that people obviously had to dig really deep to find fault with and loved spamming the boards about, but here it's a pretty fundamental shortcoming of storytelling and I think that's reflected in the sentiment of disappointment rather than an outright attempt to whitewash the show as uniquely poor amongst it's peers that Gundam fandom can be so bad about. I don't think people can really be blamed for dropping the story at that stage because it means at least they gave it more than a chance to keep them interested.

Hmmm...anyway, the disparity between Sunrises effort with the animation production and Level 5's effort with the storyline for this final arc has been kind of depressing. I really wish Sunrise had taken full control of this production and just bought the idea from Level 5 and hired a seasoned writer to do the script as I can just see things working out so much better that way.
Old 2012-09-23, 13:28   Link #55
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I suppose the biggest sign that AGE had failed is when even Kaioshin ends up calling it mediocre

(Glad to see you back here BTW Kaioshin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Once the characters stopped developing as their own entity and started to become the representatives of concepts from past series the show just kind of lost any real gravitas it had ultimately. You just can't do this sort of finale when your main cast is this unlikeable and hard to sympathize with.
Exactly. Hell, even the ones we could sympathize with had either been side characters who either had taken an exit from the show once the generational concept rolled around and kept on changing the secondary cast to the point where we never got a handle on anyones personality long enough to be attached to, or they end up dying and forgotten for long stretches of time. As a result the only ones we can latch on were the three main protagonists, but as you had mentioned they had gotten to be so unlikable it was hard to really take a position with any of them.

I mean, it's not like I couldn't understand what made them the people they were by the end of the show, well okay not Asem since I still have no clue why the hell he ever left his family for 13 years to be a pirate (seriously, someone explain this one to me, and while your at it, explain to me what the hell was he doing in this final arc again? Whose side was he on?) but with someone like Flit at this point we had gotten to know him for long enough to know what made him tick, what was his specialty, why he was doing what he was doing, we had been with him long enough for him to be our crutch throughout the time span of this show. Problem was that at that point he had gotten so unpleasant to watch and every time he yelled ''Exterminate'' I just couldn't side with him at all. He had ended up becoming the very thing he was fighting against, and even when we had small moments where we see the older, more noble man through the surface of this genocidal old nuter, it didn't mean much since they were so few and far in between, and we get moments like him whispering in his Grandsons ear to kill every last one of them damn Vagans instead most of the time.

Kio certainly falls more into the category of being a concept than a character that had organically grown in-series to take up that position. I don't have much nice things to say about him or the situation he ended up in, other than it reflects pretty badly on all his family if they just allowed him to do whatever he wanted after being kidnapped by the Vagans.

Quote:
It's a real shame that Level 5 and Hino didn't get something this basic, but hey they are game designers first and foremost and not anime screenwriters and well...ultimately I have to agree they betrayed that shortcoming in the end. Gundam as a franchise deserves better writing then this.
The saddest part about this is that I think that had they gone with their original plans and made it a game from the getgo, it would've been successful. Like I said, Level 5 are excellent game makers and designers, and whatever I read about the AGE game had been positive praise for it's game play, so it is a great shame they went ahead and made it into a show. Yes I realize how that sounds, but honestly I think that had it been a game the story could've been excused for not being all that great since at least it wasn't the main component that held it together.

Quote:
The love interest was also Stellar Lousier a crazy almost lobotomized personality, whereas at least AGE had the likes of Yurin and Romary who while not anything approaching great characters I could at least look at as human.
I'll give you Yurin being someone closer to being human than Stella (and arguably the more effective innocent), but not Romary. Sorry, but the last talk she had with Asem had proven to me that her reactions approaches nothing close to being human. You don't fawn over your partner leaving you again after realizing he had left you and only child to go be a criminal for 13 years without even dropping a hint he had been alive. Worse still, they seem to have gotten back together in this episode ...

Quote:
AGE HAD a sympathetic cast at one point just before the third act with the likes of Seric, Woolf, Grodek, Flit and dare I say even Asemu and Zeheart (pre Gen 3 Zeheart of course), but essentially tossed it all away for what I can only assume was to allow Hino to follow along with some easy already tried and true Gundam storylines that have worked in the past. However what he neglected was that these things worked with those shows and weren't going to work well with this one because what came before in the prior generations didn't really allow for it. It's pretty blatant to me that he just gave up trying to make AGE it's own thing, but really if seemingly everyone just summarily rejected you at the get go and you're dealing with a show that has such poor ratings and are getting so much hate for it (this was while things were going well in AGE land btw) are you going to put your best foot forward even when you lack experience?
I can not give you enough reps for what you just wrote here.

Quote:
I'm not trying to whitewash Level 5 and Hino's shortcomings here, but I can at least sort of understand how things ultimately got to this point on the production side of events. In the end I'll probably look at AGE as a show that was never really given a fair chance by enough people to make it a success (look how many people are commenting compared to 00 to get an idea of how big the audience is) and the staff behind it more or less acknowledging it in both a reduced effort to match up what came before with what came after at the halfway point and also in an attempt to try and go more and more with what was popular before (how did people like that mini arc of Soldiers of Sorrow events at the start of Gen 3?) in an attempt to salvage something out of the concept. Damned if you do damned if you don't really, cause I could easily still see a lot of familiar faces complaining regardless of what kind of ending we got.
Yeah, and like I said it got to me when I read his comment when thanking everyone and saying how it was a painful experience for him working on a Gundam show, and honestly as much as I think the show sort of earned at this point a lot of criticism, I can not be a harsh on this show as I would be on a lot of other ones. The man had tried his best, and yet got more shit for it, a lot of it before he got a chance to prove himself, and it must have been a grueling and daunting year for Hino-san. This isn't giving them an excuse, but it certainly puts things into perspective.

(The AGE reenactment of Soldiers of Sorrow was honestly the better parts of the 3rd arc sadly)

Quote:
Overall I'm not sure what's to be done with the Gundam franchise now. I already felt there was an overwhelming amount of negativity and scorn for any new entry in the franchise, and AGE has probably only made it worse by actually deserving some of it. How do you get a fanbase this rooted in the past, this critical of anything new...or familiar even to enjoy/appreciate/not gripe endlessly about something you create? The only two solutions I can come up with are to put the franchise on hiatus and then come back and be a little smarter about how they try to build a new audience. Like really do their research and find out just what kind of Gundam series might appeal to a newer generation of fans as opposed to having a company like Level 5 come in and tell them what people will like and assuming they are right because things worked for them in the gaming industry. The other solution would just be to end the AU experiment and go back to U.C for the next TV series since Unicorn seems to indicate that people are clamoring for and WILL buy product from the U.C timeline IF it's done justice. Be smart about it next time, and at the very least I think there has to be that long wait between entries, at least 5 years of hiatus. Let the negativity trickle out of the fanbase slowly over time instead of reigniting it so quickly with a new entry every 2-3 years.
Ugh ... I really hate these two options and sadly, I think you are correct in that it's probably going to be one of them that Sunrise/Bandai will end up going to do. I dislike option 2 for the same reason I'm not excited about Origin, since I had already seen the show like 6 different time from seeing the 0079 series, watching the movie, the dub, playing the game, you name, so at this point I am more or less sick of retreading the same old story again for the umpteenth time and as for a new UC story ... watch as comments about it not being ''TRUE UC'' and ''making a MOCKERY OF UC'' start to show up lol

Option one is going to be likely (since it's been the strategy to cycle through each Gundam every few years so they would leave room to arrange for the next show) but ... ugh, it's never going to work. AGE was announced 5 years following 00 and look at how it turned out (yes there was movie in between but you get my point). Granted Level 5's involvement didn't help things but at this point, I think Sunrise/Bandai need to realize that the only way they could hope to make the next series successful is to appease the older fans as well, which at this point means they need to make the next act them trying to juggle flaming chainsaws while blindfolded in terms of difficulty in that aspect alone, let alone trying to go and get a new fanbase all together.

One helpful element they could take from AGE is that at least once they get down to do an autopsy of the series, they can at least make sure not to fall into the same trappings they had with this one. Sadly, it is a Catch-22 situation with any new Gundam series at this point not already a proven quantity ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
WTF was that all about? Sid repairs itself, flys to the battle, and humps the Vagan Gear for....what purpose?
Well, it flew into battle because it's a Bro and had seen the stupidity of humanity, so it wanted to rally them all up on a common foe so they'd stop being so stupid.

As for the humping ... well, space is a very large cold place, and that AI had been pretty lonely, it's only company is a database for nearly 2 centuries. So it seen that delicious piece of hard metal ass and one thing lead to another ...
Old 2012-09-23, 13:48   Link #56
dazguy

i dont think sunrise should outsource gundam to a studio like level 5. the writer cant write a good plot for gundam. this is one of the worst gundam i had ever watched. the ending feel i am reading a freaking manga that is getting cancel. rushed and doesnt really resolve much. this series could have, should have, and must have another episode since episode 49 seem tooooo SHORT
dazguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 13:53   Link #57
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Even though I made a note that in the end Kio would be the one to bring Flit to an understanding it felt very empty.

I mean the show ended okay but there was so much potential that could've been done with the series.

And what was the whole point of SID or even Vera to begin with? They didn't even put up much of a fight to begin with.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 13:56   Link #58
cyberdemon

I enjoyed through Asemu's arc but, with the exception of 1 or 2 characters, Kio's arc didn't live up. I like Kira but found Kio annoying. At least Kira knew when it was necessary to kill even if he didn't like it.
Old 2012-09-23, 14:12   Link #59
Korps!
Ikarechimattaze!

Quote:
Comments on the internet are an absolutely terrible thing to go by most of the time (I've always preferred my own senses of quality), but in this case there's some fairness to it, not for everything though of course. To be able to say that for AGE though...I mean I couldn't really say that during 00 and some of the outlandish nitpicks and complaints that people obviously had to dig really deep to find fault with and loved spamming the boards about, but here it's a pretty fundamental shortcoming of storytelling and I think that's reflected in the sentiment of disappointment rather than an outright attempt to whitewash the show as uniquely poor amongst it's peers that Gundam fandom can be so bad about. I don't think people can really be blamed for dropping the story at that stage because it means at least they gave it more than a chance to keep them interested.

Hmmm...anyway, the disparity between Sunrises effort with the animation production and Level 5's effort with the storyline for this final arc has been kind of depressing. I really wish Sunrise had taken full control of this production and just bought the idea from Level 5 and hired a seasoned writer to do the script as I can just see things working out so much better that way.
I kept going until the beginning of Gen3 where I realized I just didn't care anymore with what they were doing with this serie. While I had hopes at the beginning of Gen2, having the plot running in circles for most of it (Gen2, Asemu being emo, Zeheart being a zealot, Decil being a retard, team Woolf being useless, was there something else?) only to end with Asemu going "Super Pilot" selft-insert-shonen-style-because-why-not and magically fixing all the problems was the sign that things were not going to get any better.

Now I'm going to marathon the last quarter, because I know it will be terrible and I just want to see how much more terrible than Gen2's end the rest of the show turned out to be.

Last edited by Korps!; 2012-09-23 at 17:38.
Korps! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-23, 14:22   Link #60
Blazer-X

What an ending...

I think the word best associated with this ending is: Rushed

I thought episode 48 rushed Zeheart's descend into madness (even if I like that they gave him closure), but this episode spits in the face of that rush and just says: "Yes, we can rush the finale even more"

There were so many points in the episode where I saw how just splitting it in two would have done so much to enhance the experience. Too many things happened at once. You had essentially 2 battles and a whole internal conflict/understanding thing happening in between. It comes out even more ridiculous than 00 Trans-Am Burst, because 00 at least built up the power of true innovator and GN Particles, and comes up with the pseudo-science of quantum brainwaves. Here, Flit just talks. No X-Rounder abilities. Just TALKS. And guess what? He manages to convince the entire Vagan and EF to work together. That is far more people than just a handful of named characters in 00's finale.

The Vagan Gear left much to be desired. It was definitely a very cool MS, and it SEEMED powerful... for the first five seconds. Then the Asunos just basically teamed up and made it into a joke. A prolonged fight with the Vagan Gear would have been very helpful in establishing it as a powerful MS. Here, we could only assume. And if someone brings up Legilis for getting a five-second defeat, at least it showed off its potential battling Sid and FX, and we can excuse its piss-poor performance in its final battle to Zeheart's mental state.

Zera is SUPPOSED to be inhumane. He was supposed to be the ultimate warrior/weapon with no emotions. And what happens to him? Takes out a few grunts, damages Age 1 a bit, and destroys FX's C-Funnels. Pretty meh, all things considering. An extended fight and more damage to the three Gundams would have made him so much more of a menace. Hell, damage the Age 1 Gransa. Give us a better reason for Flit to discard his armor other than just to look cool holding the plasma diver missile.

Also, as many said, Sid came out of the left field. What made it worse was that Asemu doesn't even try that hard to make sense of it. He doesn't go "OH CRAP, I THOUGHT WE KILLED YOU". I would have even accepted Asemu and/or Flit giving a pseudo justified reason for why Sid went "OMG, HUG!" No, Asemu just goes "Oh, he must be trying to take over Sid". Wait... WHAT? And of course, the final battle against Vegan Gear is just as rushed, with FX decimating it in an almost-one-way battle.

That said, the episode wasn't a complete waste. Flit being convinced by Kio and his dead friends was the high point for me, because it brings both of their story arcs to a closure and cements Flit's place as the main character. Also, it was pretty touching seeing everyone Flit has lost. Like with most things though, I wished it was built up earlier. The only hint we get of Flit's lack of conviction was a few episodes ago, when he turned to the mirror and sees his younger self.

Overall, it wasn't a complete waste. It provided closure to most of the plot points. It was just too rushed to be considered a good finale.

What they should have done instead, if they had two episodes:

First Ep: Launch Vagan Gear, have it kill off more Fed grunts and ships before the Vagan Hipster Commander comment about how the Federation have already lost so much. Zera fight a longer battle with the Asunos, destroying the Age 1 Gransa's armor in the process. Flit, Asemu, and Kio hold it off until Zera decides to retreat. As it is retreating, Sid appears, going "OMG, HUG!" and TAKES OVER Zera and the Vagan Gear, instead of the other way around. Then have SID-controlled Zera go around damaging La Gramis (instead of a wild X-Rounder Zera). Flit takes the chance to attack with plasma diver missile. Have the whole conversion and understanding thing. Everyone begins attacking the La Gramis to save Second Moon. Then, suddenly interrupted by Vegan Gear Sid destroying suits from both sides, setting stage for the final battle.

Second Ep: Three Asunos defends grunts from VGSid while they continue to separate La Gramis. Asemu explains how Sid survived the last battle through self-evolution, and why he is so pissed off that the humans have stupidly gone to war with his technology. VGSid continue to destroy ships and grunts. Vagan Hipster Commander ask for help to take out VGSid. In the mean time, VGSid disables Flit's Gundam. Kio uses X-Rounder abilities to try and understand Sid. Sid uses Zera to communicate, saying that the humans have stupidly started war again and comes to the same conclusion as Ezelcant, that the current human race will always be at war. But instead of evolution, it will instead eliminate all humans to prevent war. Still determined, Kio continue to chase after VGSid into the Second moon alone. With only a few more connectors left, VGSid and FX-burst mode reappears from Second Moon. All MS in the vicinity assist Kio as Sid-Zera shows confusion over their working together. Kio destroys VGSid and saves Zera. Ezelcant dies and we get an extended "after-war" ending, where we not only see the cure to Mars Rays, Flit's statue, but also Kio's family with Wendy (to make her relevant) and a reformed Zera, who is now fully human.

Meh, that started to sound more Fan-Fict-y. towards the end there. But yeah, really wished it was two episodes. That said, I really wouldn't mind an HG Vegan Gear Sid, if Bandai ever get around making it.
Blazer-X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion