AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-02-15, 17:21   Link #241
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat's Disciple View Post
Whats the end result filesize roughly of a normal episode using that?
Google says (250 kbps) * 24 minutes = 43.9453125 megabytes
Quote:
And which version of nero would i have to buy, $99 is a bit expensive, especially since i don't like any of nero's other stuff hehe. Shame you cant just buy the encoder on it's own
Nero's AAC encoder is a free command-line utility from their website; many encoding GUIs support it and/or use it directly for audio encoding, since its basically the best free AAC encoder.

Nero's H.264 encoder isn't particularly good, especially at low bitrates, no reason to pay for it . x264 is better, which is why I used it

If you want to use Nero's encoding GUI you can get Nero Recode, but I personally dislike it (I prefer the open source GUIs). Plus it doesn't use x264
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 17:28   Link #242
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

to complicated for me to use then >.< thought it looked to good lol
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 17:29   Link #243
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
to complicated for me to use then >.< thought it looked to good lol
I'm pretty sure, as I said, that at least some of those GUIs support Nero's AAC encoder. And even if they don't, FAAC isn't too bad either (the open source AAC encoder).
Old 2008-02-15, 17:37   Link #244
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

its not that they don't support them, it's how to use them. All of them required other apps (avsythwhatsits at the very least) and require a bit more knowledge than what i have.

The thing with ERMP is it's simplicity, i didn't have to change any of the default settings, with the exception of where it stores the out put file. And that was simply a tick box to store in the same folder as the source. Beyond that it's literaly drag and click. Pure simplicity, i don't require any knowldege of encoding or anything. I also don't have to spend half an hour wondering what the hell an avs file is and where i find one >.<

I'm sure that eventually a re-encoder will come along that will do the same as ERMP with h.264, as you've said it's the new tech, but for now i'll stick with .rmvb. I like things simple, i don't have a lot of free time, and what i do have i'd much rather spend editing manga, than trying to figure out how to encode. Your lucky, you know how to use the technology (not bashing you or anything there), however not everyone is tech savvy. I'm constantly surprised at how many people think just because i watch fansubs and do manga editing, i must be super tech savvy.

Edit: Just a thought, but if it possible to use h.264 and have a file size of around 50mb, why the hell are we seeing them in the 2-300mb size. I mean surely you'd want to get the best quality, but the smallest size. So you could easily do a 70-80mb file size while having a high quality release?
Old 2008-02-15, 17:39   Link #245
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
I'm sure that eventually a re-encoder will come along that will do the same as ERMP with h.264, as you've said it's the new tech, but for now i'll stick with .rmvb. I like things simple, i don't have a lot of free time, and what i do have i'd much rather spend editing manga, than trying to figure out how to encode. Your lucky, you know how to use the technology (not bashing you or anything there), however not everyone is tech savvy. I'm constantly surprised at how many people think just because i watch fansubs and do manga editing, i must be super tech savvy.
Why not RipBot264 then? Seems to fit your needs.
Old 2008-02-15, 17:45   Link #246
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

hehe not quite, i tried it. It's very hard to see since the GUI is damned faint. Also on the test file i did, i reduced the audio down, and video to what it says im using in ERMP, and i only lost 2mb.

I'll probably take another look at it over the weekend, no idea how i use it with nero though >.<
Old 2008-02-15, 17:46   Link #247
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
hehe not quite, i tried it. It's very hard to see since the GUI is damned faint. Also on the test file i did, i reduced the audio down, and video to what it says im using in ERMP, and i only lost 2mb.
Well no duh, if you set it to the same bitrate, you'll get the same filesize

Quote:
I'll probably take another look at it over the weekend, no idea how i use it with nero though >.<
You really don't need to. Just use what's built-in.
Old 2008-02-15, 17:54   Link #248
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

i meant the same bit rate as ERMP

I'm fiddling with it at the minute, it's so damned hard to see though. What were they thinking when they chose pink on white for the GUI >.<

For some reason though it dosent like .mkv files

I'm using ARIA_The_ORIGINATION_-_Promo_[82BB8C62] as a test file, and it dosent like it lol. Finds the video, but no audio and there's no out put for it
Old 2008-02-15, 18:10   Link #249
leetdood

Quote:
Edit: Just a thought, but if it possible to use h.264 and have a file size of around 50mb, why the hell are we seeing them in the 2-300mb size. I mean surely you'd want to get the best quality, but the smallest size. So you could easily do a 70-80mb file size while having a high quality release?
This has already been covered in another topic, but not everybody is concerned about filesize like you (or bandwidth, for some other people). 70-80 mb would be around xvid quality, i believe... with h264 and the onset of bigger storage and faster internet, the increase of filesizes makes sense from my perspective.

EDIT: to put it simply, you ask "Why have high filesizes when acceptable quality is reached at 80mb?"... other people would ask "Why accept 'acceptable quality' when you can get excellent quality at 200mb?" In the end, quality wins over filesize... personally, i think storage can be bought, and quality releases can be deleted then re-downloaded at a later time if you're that hard-up for space... but crappy encoded files can never be restored to excellent quality. In 20 years, some people will probably say "h264, in 200 mb files? Boy, that was CRAP!"
leetdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 04:50   Link #250
ReAn
Shinsen-Subs Staff
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to ReAn Send a message via AIM to ReAn Send a message via MSN to ReAn
Tiamat's Disciple, I'm unsure if the topic was ever closed, but why would you suggest RMVB as an anime distrobution standard?

It's a completely propriatary format playable with 1 (maybe a handfull more) players, which if I remember correctly cost MONEY.

The avi container is virtually playable by almost ANYTHING, hell... my MP3 Player supports it!

MKV is playable by at least a dozen different players (all of which free).

Additionally, the Xvid/DivX/H.264 Codec is freely availiable for all 3 major operating systems (Windows / MacOS / *nix) and the encoders are typically open source and updated regularly for improvements & compatability.

You can even bypass all codec nonsense by just installing FFDShow, which again is FREE and a 1-click installation. (If you desire)

This means that avi/xvid & mkv/.264 are accepted by a wider variety of people's machines & configurations and are often easier to install and leave less of a digital footprint than RealMedia, which is a single application, updated infrequently for a price by a single company with an obvious ajenda (your money).

It's understandable for your own personal use if you'd want to use rm, since that's your own preference, but when an anime group releases, we have to think about the common majority.

What will work best, and provide the best results.
ReAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 05:17   Link #251
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

@ReAn

Where did i say aniome distro should be in .rmvb?? No where. What i said was that I (please note that one letter there, it's highly important) was using it, because it was the format I (there's that letter again) prefer.

I also said that some (four that i know of, including conclave) were releasing in .rmvb aswell as others. Ay no time did i say groups should switch to .rmvb.

So please stop putting words in my mouth, it's annoying
Old 2008-02-16, 06:06   Link #252
jfs
Aegisub dev

Quote:
So please stop putting words in my mouth, it's annoying
And also stop saying "I want to use legal means to play my illegal files."
Either you respect the copyright of others or you don't, you can't really arbitrarily choose to respect that of some but not of others. (What you can do however is say "I don't really care about copyrights and whatever but I still think these people deserve being paid for their work.")

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 06:08   Link #253
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs View Post
And also stop saying "I want to use legal means to play my illegal files."
And again, i never said that did i hmmm

What i said was is that am a paying user of both real networks and apple. Has nothing to do with using them to watch anime, and everything to do with i use their software for other things. So again, please stop putting words in my mouth, it's pissing me off.

I was warned this would happen when i joined the thread, the fanboy mania would kick in, rather disapointing to see it's true.
Old 2008-02-16, 14:39   Link #254
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:

What i said was is that am a paying user of both real networks and apple. Has nothing to do with using them to watch anime, and everything to do with i use their software for other things. So again, please stop putting words in my mouth, it's pissing me off.

I was warned this would happen when i joined the thread, the fanboy mania would kick in, rather disapointing to see it's true.
When everyone disagrees with you, it probably means you're the fanboy, not them.
Old 2008-02-16, 14:52   Link #255
jfs
Aegisub dev

Quote:

Sorry, me quoting you there made it seem like I said you were the one saying that. It was meant for everyone else who's using the "Real Alternative is illegal" etc. arguments, like ReAn.

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 19:30   Link #256
max2k

So i know some persons who like black&white flicks over modern films, so ther had to be some on out ther who loves "retro loking encodes, full of compresion artefacts" . Do us all a favor and dont name the encodes you "rencode", because you could break a encoder heart or two.

I dont know about the compresion capcility of RV40 (aka Real Video10). But i guess is over x264, the gnu version of h264, Real Video 9&10 are said to be based on. Anyway i think i dont touched anything Real related in years, ther was some thing a few years that left the name Real with a real bad taste.

You say you dont try to convert encoders to do rmvb, but realy if some Group would test to release on this format, avi (xvid) and mkv (x264), i would guess the downloadcount of the Real-file would be some wher belowe 1%. 1st ther is the group wich can rember beter then i what happened years ago, then ther is the group who think they know what stand of the art videotech is. If i see the DC of subbgroups in my native language i can say group Nr.2 is the largest. 80% take avi over mkv, because they think is theyr so loved hightech Divx encodes, not knowing that most video streams in avi are Xvid today. Im not living in a thirdworld country wher most rigs are not able to play 264 encodes, and most of encoders who do xvid here give a hag about SP. For most of the users avi/Divx is the best (even is an mkv is labeled as 1280*720, because we dont label encodes as hdtv, thers some thing here named "fansubb-kodex" wich forbid that), VLC is the ultimate Player because it was 5 years ago, utorrent is the best torentclient, no it`s not in the hand of the mediaindustire, i could rant on. I really think after the tech hits a relative quality level, the mind of some percentage of users gets slower. Or is it the fault of more and more household computers in last years... And maybee i have to learn in some that my post over Realvideo today was that of a slow user...

The Text above is writen out of boredom and not meant to harm anyone.
max2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 21:24   Link #257
Dnous
wut

Quote:
i meant the same bit rate as ERMP

I'm fiddling with it at the minute, it's so damned hard to see though. What were they thinking when they chose pink on white for the GUI >.<

For some reason though it dosent like .mkv files

I'm using ARIA_The_ORIGINATION_-_Promo_[82BB8C62] as a test file, and it dosent like it lol. Finds the video, but no audio and there's no out put for it
You can also just mux the audio out with mkvtoolnix and reencode it with another audio encoder and mux it back in with said program. The whole muxing thing is easy (even I can do it >_>) and it doesn't take that long either.
Dnous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 00:26   Link #258
guess

If this is about AVI vs MKV:

Do you know how hard it is to make mkv files into DVD movies (DVD player compatible), at least in Vista?

Do you know there are still a lot of anime that will never get licensed?
Old 2008-02-17, 00:29   Link #259
leetdood

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
If this is about AVI vs MKV:

Do you know how hard it is to make mkv files into DVD movies (DVD player compatible), at least in Vista?

Do you know there are still a lot of anime that will never get licensed?
MKV is just a container format, it's incredibly easy to demux the tracks.. re-encoding probably would be bit more difficult (no experience with this) but that's not a container issue.

What does licensing have to do with this thread..?
leetdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 01:34   Link #260
DryFire
Panda Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Incredibly easy once you set it up? Seems trivial to me. It may not always be one click, but it is easy.

Anyway, it's not our job to help you transcode our releases. If you spent a few minutes looking into it* (or possibly asking for help) you'd probably figure out how.

*This requires basic reasoning skills and some very basic computer knowledge.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote