AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2010-03-17, 18:58   Link #3121
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keri View Post
Huh?

That's the first novel. And it's been shown in other threads (I believe it may even be this one) that the image doesn't wrap properly for that part of the picture to be used for the 10th novel's cover. There would have to be some photoshopping or extending done for it to work.
I think he's suggesting that the v01 cover bridges to or is part of v10 via Kyon on the inner portion. Since it cuts off at his hand, there's still plenty of room to put someone else on there and bridge it to a different cover.

Hell, for all we know they plan it to bridge to v15 and they've still got 6 more covers worth of new characters to put on the next few volumes.
Old 2010-03-17, 19:50   Link #3122
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
I think he's suggesting that the v01 cover bridges to or is part of v10 via Kyon on the inner portion. Since it cuts off at his hand, there's still plenty of room to put someone else on there and bridge it to a different cover.

Hell, for all we know they plan it to bridge to v15 and they've still got 6 more covers worth of new characters to put on the next few volumes.
It was mentioned that this was a campaign for the Disappearance movie. That doesn't rule out any further additions to the picture, but I doubt that it's intentional at this time.

Since it was part of the Disappearance campaign, the artwork was posted in the official guidebook along with other Ito-san drawings, and it clearly was meant to end with Sasaki.

Apologizes for the horrible scan.

The sky colors don't match for Kyon and Sasaki to face each other. The only thing that I have my doubts about is the rail in the back stopping between Kunikida and Adult Mikuru by Fungai and begining again by Sasaki. Only time will tell if they meant to have other ones inbetween.

Edit: This really isn't worth a double-post bump, but Amazon has put up the official art for the hard cover version of Boredom.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-03-18 at 09:23. Reason: added Boredom cover art
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-18, 11:49   Link #3123
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
I think that book 10 cover (with those listed above) will be Kyon and either Slider-tan, Sasaki or Haruhi.
But probably slider-tan is the best choice.
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-22, 16:10   Link #3124
Gyom

Send a message via MSN to Gyom
http://www.amazon.com/Disappearance-...292145&sr=1-16
Disappearance novel will be relaesed on November 2, 2010
Gyom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-22, 16:16   Link #3125
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyom View Post
Oh, that's not far away from my birthday (also Tsuruya's), so I might get it as a birthday gift.

Also, Boredom would be this July, right? I might take it with me on my trip to America this summer.

Last edited by Joe4evr; 2010-03-22 at 16:40.
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-22, 18:15   Link #3126
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyom View Post
What the hell is up with this product description?
What if you woke up one morning, and everything changed?

It's one week before Christmas Eve, and Haruhi and the S.O.S. Brigade (a club for her high school's strangest and most extraordinary students) are gearing up for holiday festivities. But just before the fun kicks off, Kyon, the only "normal" member, wakes up in a weird alternate dimension, one where Haruhi attends another school entirely, Nagato the time traveling robot is just an ordinary human, and Mikuru (the cute girl of Kyon's dreams) doesn't even recognize him-in other words, S.O.S. Brigade never existed.

The only clue Kyon can find is a bookmark left by the robot version of Nagato, which leads him on a quest back in time, where he interacts with the storyline from "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody", a short story from the previous Haruhi book, The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya.

This fun and quirky holiday tale is reminiscent of A Christmas Carol and It'sa Wonderful Life.
I draw your attention to the bolded descriptions of Nagato, though the writing mechanics of this little blurb could also be improved.

Nonetheless, yay! That's a full month earlier than I was expecting, and that means it'll probably be available for purchase sometime in October, going by Sighs and Melancholy.
keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-22, 18:45   Link #3127
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I tend to completely ignore the blurbs as they're patently inaccurate.

It's what's inside that counts. Although, come to think of it, the story IS a bit like It's a Wonderful Life.

...I think I have a new appreciation for Disappearance now.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-22, 18:49   Link #3128
TMSIDR
Haruhi's Minion

By the way, the information is also available in more official form on the Hachette-Website.
Old 2010-03-23, 04:11   Link #3129
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

What.

the.

Shit?!

Humanoid interface >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> robot.

BY A LONG SHOT.

>_>
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 04:20   Link #3130
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
What.

the.

Shit?!

Humanoid interface >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> robot.

BY A LONG SHOT.

>_>
No mention of the "time-traveling" bit?
Old 2010-03-23, 04:31   Link #3131
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Oh right.

Yeah, well that's stupid too, but the robot thing pissed me off cos she actually has fractions of feelings.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 04:50   Link #3132
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Yeah, but there are other stories where robots develop emotions because of extremely advanced artificial intelligence - Time of Eve for one example. So I can kind of see where they got that, even if it's wildly inaccurate. But time-traveling? And without attaching that adjective to Mikuru, too.
Old 2010-03-23, 06:57   Link #3133
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

For those keeping track:
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - 1 April 2009
  • The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya - 7 October 2009
  • The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya - 1 July 2010
  • The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - 2 November 2010

Six months, nine months, four months.

Seems to me they're cranking this out as fast as they possibly can, rather than keeping to any sort of perceived schedule. If that's true... I wonder what was so hard about Boredom? Maybe they (the translators) split into two teams at that point? (Alternatively, what was so easy about Disappearance?)
Old 2010-03-23, 07:12   Link #3134
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
For those keeping track:
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - 1 April 2009
  • The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya - 7 October 2009
  • The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya - 1 July 2010
  • The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - 2 November 2010

Six months, nine months, four months.

Seems to me they're cranking this out as fast as they possibly can, rather than keeping to any sort of perceived schedule. If that's true... I wonder what was so hard about Boredom? Maybe they (the translators) split into two teams at that point? (Alternatively, what was so easy about Disappearance?)
It could be that they arranged the first novel and its sequel to be out as a testing point for the series. When sales for the first one came back to be in the positive, then the sole translator started translating Boredom and Disappearance for release this year. It takes a while for a novel to go from start to finish, so a nine month delay really isn't too bad for a series novel.

It'll be interesting to see the timeframe for future releases (if the sales continue to be as positive as they have been).

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 08:32   Link #3135
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
(Alternatively, what was so easy about Disappearance?)
Well, I've frequently seen it mentioned that it is the shortest book in the series.
Old 2010-03-23, 11:19   Link #3136
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keri View Post
What the hell is up with this product description?
What if you woke up one morning, and everything changed?

It's one week before Christmas Eve, and Haruhi and the S.O.S. Brigade (a club for her high school's strangest and most extraordinary students) are gearing up for holiday festivities. But just before the fun kicks off, Kyon, the only "normal" member, wakes up in a weird alternate dimension, one where Haruhi attends another school entirely, Nagato the time traveling robot is just an ordinary human, and Mikuru (the cute girl of Kyon's dreams) doesn't even recognize him-in other words, S.O.S. Brigade never existed.

The only clue Kyon can find is a bookmark left by the robot version of Nagato, which leads him on a quest back in time, where he interacts with the storyline from "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody", a short story from the previous Haruhi book, The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya.

This fun and quirky holiday tale is reminiscent of A Christmas Carol and It'sa Wonderful Life.
... Seriously, what the hell? So not only do they screw over Baka-Tsuki's translation project (which they had the right to do so nonetheless), they don't bother to make a more accurate blurb. Haruhi fans everywhere vomit blood.
  • The SOS Brigade isn't a club for the 'strangest and most extraordinary students'. It's a club to find them out. No matter how incredulous the members are, that isn't their recruitment criteria. A strange girl, a 'normal' boy, a 'mysterious' transfer student, a mascot and a bookworm that didn't even officially join them isn't very strange or extraordinary.
  • Yuki doesn't travel through time. At all. She freezes it.
  • And she isn't a robot Is the translator high or what? '宇宙人' doesn't translate to robot; it means alien.
  • ... They just called Disappearance, possibly the most moving tale in the Haruhi franchise, a 'fun and quirky holiday tale'. I'm speechless.
  • Where on Earth is Koizumi on that blurb?!

I have to ask, are the other blurbs of the translated novels like this too? Boy oh boy, are the readers going to be surprised when they find out this isn't a happy book.
edkedkedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 13:12   Link #3137
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Someone should email the publisher/translator:

The descriptions are wrong.
Old 2010-03-23, 13:40   Link #3138
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
I have to ask, are the other blurbs of the translated novels like this too? Boy oh boy, are the readers going to be surprised when they find out this isn't a happy book.
Not wrong to this degree. The blurb of Melancholy says Kyon sits behind Haruhi, while it's actually vice versa; the one for Sigh isn't particularly wrong anywhere, though.
Old 2010-03-23, 14:26   Link #3139
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Someone should email the publisher/translator:

The descriptions are wrong.
Won't do any good. Publishers don't care if the blurbs are wrong. As long as it brings in readers, they'll continue to not care.

Feel free to contact them about the blurb sounding stupid, though, because it certainly does. ^_^
Old 2010-03-23, 15:15   Link #3140
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
... Seriously, what the hell? So not only do they screw over Baka-Tsuki's translation project (which they had the right to do so nonetheless), they don't bother to make a more accurate blurb. Haruhi fans everywhere vomit blood.
Based on my experience with other companies, it's often the job of someone completely removed from the project at hand to come up with marketing blurbs like this.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga