AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-16, 02:54   Link #221
Westlo
Lets be reality

I'm enjoying this show, guilty pleasure of the season/year for me. <3 Mayus dress
Old 2007-10-16, 09:11   Link #222
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Oh its so a guilty pleasure but so much fun im not sure if i should feel bad Shungo or envy him. I will give it too him though to be able to defend him self in his sleep. If that was me I would be depressed when i woke up Reika is pretty hot. That neck crack OW it made mine hurt just watching it.
Old 2007-10-16, 11:19   Link #223
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Really is hard to know whether to feel for Shungo who has a pretty rough time in general, but there is that level of envy even considering it all. Have to wonder what he's been through that it would be required to defend himself in his sleep.

If I woke up in that situation it would be a 2 fold response. Oh crap what did I do this time? and of course, where did her clothes go? . Still the neck thing really does reach out. No matter how you slice it that is uncomfortable.
Old 2007-10-16, 11:25   Link #224
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I can probably keep watching but mostly if the tsundere keeps her "haughty rich bitch laugh behind her hand" routine minimized. I just completely loathe that sort of character and since she's a central part of the show.... bleh. She's much more attractive in the angry-pouty or blushing moments.

Infernal Team Rocket needs to stay in the background as well and just let events unfold. Initially, big'sis was kind of interesting but now just annoying. Incubus brother moved from just annoying to irritating.

Turns brain on for a moment: what is the motivation of brother in throwing Tsundere into the household mix? So far, the only answer I have is "plot device necessary to create situation" ... bleh, there were better ways to accomplish same end.

Turns brain back off: oooh, look at the moeblob and tsundere!
Old 2007-10-16, 11:38   Link #225
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I can probably keep watching but mostly if the tsundere keeps her "haughty rich bitch laugh behind her hand" routine minimized. I just completely loathe that sort of character and since she's a central part of the show.... bleh. She's much more attractive in the angry-pouty or blushing moments.
I dont think she is that sort of person really. Besides the screaming and slapping and kick in the nuts i dont see her as the "hohohohoho" *hand covering mouth* type of girl. (she is more the one being teased than the one doing the teasing )
Quote:
Turns brain on for a moment: what is the motivation of brother in throwing Tsundere into the household mix? So far, the only answer I have is "plot device necessary to create situation" ... bleh, there were better ways to accomplish same end.
They like seeing ninomiya's troubled face

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-10-16, 11:38   Link #226
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

*chortles* - I like the description Team Rocket , well if they didn't interfere we would have gotten to see if moeblob would have sucked Shungo dry (literally).

I think that the token tsundere is going to be the whipping girl, and just end up being the backend of the gags. My money is on moeblob to win and life to get far worse for Reika before the end of the show. I mean already she has had her neck nearly broken and god knows if she got deflowered by Ryoko and its only been 2 episodes
Old 2007-10-16, 11:44   Link #227
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Haha, looks like i will have someone to share my dislike towards Reika with Indeed - i hope her 'high and mighty' attitude is kept to a minimum. I am not fan of tsunderes to begin with, and having her also be the annoying rich girl is an insult to injury. I am really annoyed with the cliched "To preserve the morals of the academy i will bla bla" ... the heck what he is doing home has anything to do with the academy ? I really want to see the day someone actually responds like that to this line, instead of meekly accepting it.

Bro and Sis should stay in the background indeed - i find it more interesting when the characters have to deal with the usual (Shungo trying to resist the temptation ) than their antics. The reason her Bro brought Reika there indeed seems like a plot device to simply add yet another thing that would interrupt any Mayu x Shungo moments, so the whole thing can last longer. Though that much was obvious

But while i can complain, i actually don't feel like it. I will be damned if i know what, but there is something about this show that just makes me to come back and look towards it. Surprisingly, this show appeals to me more than 90% of anything else i get this season Perhaps i am being too easy on it, but i can not help it - i simply like what i get here
Old 2007-10-16, 11:55   Link #228
Calawain
Gaijin

Definitely a guilty pleasure for this season, funny and enjoyable as long as I try not to think too hard about it and just enjoy the tsundere and moe glomping.
Old 2007-10-16, 11:59   Link #229
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
But while i can complain, i actually don't feel like it. I will be damned if i know what, but there is something about this show that just makes me to come back and look towards it. Surprisingly, this show appeals to me more than 90% of anything else i get this season Perhaps i am being too easy on it, but i can not help it - i simply like what i get here
It's Mayu's succubus powers -- they're drawing you in!

Seriously, though, I know what you're saying. The show is just cute. Sure the whole setup is absolutely rediculous from beginning to end, and it's full of suggestive scenes and fanservice, but it somehow manages to be sweet in spite of all that. Even Reika -- the reason she works for me is simply because she's way too cute when she's embarrassed, and the writers know it. I don't think this is a "turn off your brain" or "guilty pleasure" show (because I don't believe in such things), but I do think the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Somehow all the apparent silliness comes into balance.
Old 2007-10-16, 12:20   Link #230
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The "haughty rich girl" I used comes from Reika's initial appearance (and yes, she actually does that laugh that makes people want to slap her in ep 1). In ep 2, she settles into a more likeable sort of tsundere -- the Wiley Coyote type. You just know everything she tries is going to have some tiny failure that brings the whole thing down.

yes, the show is just cute.... so that's why I use the "turn brains off" metaphor because it involves activating mostly the reptillian parts of the brain more than the frontal cortex and yeah, I think you're nailing it that this is a case of the whole being greater than each individual aspect.... so bring on the comedy sex farce (ala a Shakespearian love comedy farce).

((farce: a light dramatic composition marked by broadly satirical comedy and improbable plot, ref Merriam-Webster))
Old 2007-10-16, 12:40   Link #231
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
yes, the show is just cute.... so that's why I use the "turn brains off" metaphor because it involves activating mostly the reptillian parts of the brain more than the frontal cortex
Well, not to belabour the point, but I don't necessarily totally agree here either. Even in chaos, a logic is at work. And even in this show, despite the absolutely nonsensical setup (which I absoutely grant), certain story threads are being carefully woven. I have to assume that those little tidbits dropped in the early episodes will come back to play a major role in the story later on, and will explain some of the motivations of the characters (like the reason for Mayu's fear of men, Shungo's near-immunity, Reika's feelings for Shungo, why he doesn't remember them in spite of having known them as children, and so on). If you turn off your brain completely, you'll miss even the logic that is there, and won't be able to appreciate when the show tries to delve into something just a little bit deeper and more meaningful.

So... all that to say, I think what makes this different than Girls Bravo is the fact that it's trying to be a bit more than simple farce. Despite the craziness, there's something going on behind the scenes that I think could be interesting. I wouldn't want to miss it by letting my "reptillian parts of the brain" take over entirely.
Old 2007-10-16, 12:54   Link #232
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
So... all that to say, I think what makes this different than Girls Bravo is the fact that it's trying to be a bit more than simple farce. Despite the craziness, there's something going on behind the scenes that I think could be interesting. I wouldn't want to miss it by letting my "reptillian parts of the brain" take over entirely.
I think we pretty much agree on that aspect. If it were a truly simple farce, I'd probably get bored and wander off but it does seem to want to try for more -- and its that more that probably got my attention in the first place.
Old 2007-10-16, 13:21   Link #233
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
aww...i like girls bravo...is that bad?

anyway this series is a lot more than just service. Id say the story is currently more interesting than a few romances airing this season, while some say service + logic doesnt mix, here i think it is blended/balanced out quite well. lets just hope we will be seeing a lot more of ninomiya's "troubled face"

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-10-16, 13:28   Link #234
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
It's Mayu's succubus powers -- they're drawing you in!

Seriously, though, I know what you're saying. The show is just cute. Sure the whole setup is absolutely rediculous from beginning to end, and it's full of suggestive scenes and fanservice, but it somehow manages to be sweet in spite of all that. Even Reika -- the reason she works for me is simply because she's way too cute when she's embarrassed, and the writers know it. I don't think this is a "turn off your brain" or "guilty pleasure" show (because I don't believe in such things), but I do think the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Somehow all the apparent silliness comes into balance.
Cute indeed - this would still be the word to describe the show. Yes, the premise is ridiculous and there is fanservice flying around, but the show manages to be rather cute and inoffensive about it. A mix i rarely (if ever) get to see, and i certainly like the feeling it produces. I am willing to give Reika a chance to grow on me, but i doubt that is going to happen, unless she somehow cans her spoiled brat act I am always up for more of the moeblob though

And indeed - this show does have something beneath the surface value going for it, and i expect the relationships to be deeper one would normally expect from such a show. Overall i would say the show has a misleading premise. It is better than it looks at first glance
Old 2007-10-16, 13:29   Link #235
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
aww...i like girls bravo...is that bad?
Haha -- no, actually, I like it too. Bought all the DVDs and all the manga books. But you definitely have to go into that show expecting them to take absolutely everything to the extreme. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and that's totally fine. This show, though, is trying for something a bit different, as you went on to say...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
anyway this series is a lot more than just service. Id say the story is currently more interesting than a few romances airing this season, while some say service + logic doesnt mix, here i think it is blended/balanced out quite well. lets just hope we will be seeing a lot more of ninomiya's "troubled face"
I agree.
Old 2007-10-17, 08:48   Link #236
UPR

I personally want to see Reika's reaction when she finds out Shungo and Mayu sleep in the same bed. That is something worth hoping they show.
Old 2007-10-17, 11:13   Link #237
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Haha -- no, actually, I like it too. Bought all the DVDs and all the manga books. But you definitely have to go into that show expecting them to take absolutely everything to the extreme. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and that's totally fine. This show, though, is trying for something a bit different, as you went on to say...
I agree.
You did? Oh Please go over the Manga thread and spoil how volume 10 went.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2007-10-17, 11:31   Link #238
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
You did? Oh Please go over the Manga thread and spoil how volume 10 went.
Oh -- well, I meant all the ones currently available in English (didn't buy the Japanese tanks this time). Seems that Volume 10 is scheduled to release on December 4th. I'll certainly buy it when it comes out, though.
Old 2007-10-17, 11:39   Link #239
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@UPR -- 2:1 odds Reika demands to be included in the bed "to protect the morals of the school".
Old 2007-10-17, 11:47   Link #240
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
@UPR -- 2:1 odds Reika demands to be included in the bed "to protect the morals of the school".
Hahaha!!! That simply has to happen. Awesome suggestion.
Closed Thread

Tags
aic spirits, comedy, ecchi, fantasy, harem, kadokawa, romance, shounen