5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 2.44%
4 out of 10: Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-01-23, 12:05   Link #81
Dark Wing

I think is great to see Gundam Age starting to come out on it's own sure it took a while but at lest they have something to build around now...

So looks like flint is going to become Gendo 2.0?
Old 2012-01-23, 14:36   Link #82
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

LOL, first of all, I'm not saying I support the UE in what they did, I basically think every faction we've seen is full of BS... I don't support any of the factions this show presented, and hope they all end like Zero Requiem ^^'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutionist View Post
The UE didn't just kill Flit's mother and Grodek's wife and daughter. They killed an entire colony worth of people. The colony as Grodek points out didn't even have Federation forces stationed on it.
But this isn't about the colony or the thousands that died there for Grodek and Flit. It's just about Yurin, Mom, and Grodek's family. I didn't get the impression that they cared much about the general population (at least not much. It's not much more than a justification), it's all personal.

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with Flit's view of the UE not being humans. They have indiscriminately murdered civilians, and just because they have a "cause" doesn't justify it. The Federation doesn't have an overwhelming advantage where you can say ok, these guys resort to terrorism because they have no other option. In this case the UE have or rather had an overwhelming advantage in terms of technology where they could've easily gone after the Federation forces, but instead they deliberately went after civilians. You can't deny that the UE didn't show a blatant disregard for human life in their actions...
Wait, so according to that logic, almost none of the current world nations are human as they all at some point murdered civilians indiscriminately and showed blatant disregard for human life- I don't need to cite examples.
Also, what you say applies in reverse as well: Just because Flit and Grodek have a cause, doesn't justify what they did either.

But, like I said above, I'm not supporting what the UE did. I'm just saying Flit&Co are just as much full of BS as they are and I can't really see how I should support either side.
In the end though, pretty much everything that was said this episode was BS, so I would've probably done better muting it and enjoying the action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Then he finds his first true love and once again stand by and watch her forced to fight and die and not just as a person but as someone else's "plaything"

I mean come on give Flit a break. To any person that ranks into the acts of the devil. They destroyed his home, murdered his mother, and killed his first love and you say it's crap that he does not consider them human?
Trauma doesn't justify how much hypocrisy he has going on. I sympathize though. Thing is, you don't get to decide who is human and who is not- even if we sometimes would like to (and I perfectly understand wanting to dehumanize and deny rights to some people... it's just that you can't go down the route of "the lives we lost were more important than yours" for obvious reasons). On the whole I agree though, I can cut Flit a break, he's 12... Grodek however not.

What I don't agree with though is Yurin as a "true" love. A strong infatuation (and influence) of course, but come on they barely knew each other and they're 12.

Quote:
Which doesn't make any sense. It's as Grodeck stated, they have an angst against the Federation but they've been focusing almost all of their resources at the colonies and not actual Federation bases.
I know, the whole UE reveal didn't make a whole lot of sense. Well, I guess there was military weaponry on Flit's colony- so maybe that's why they attacked.
But they haven't been serious this whole time, so that doesn't make sense either. I guess we will have to wait until we find out more about this "masterplan" or whatever... I'm not confident it will be good though, as they seem so hell-bent on painting the UE bad, what with the evil grinning and all.

Quote:
Oh crap are we going to go into the whole, "oh fighting will not solve anything! Sure they wiped out your family but killing them now will just continue the cycle of hatred!"
Nah, didn't necessarily mean that. I was more trying to point out that Grodek acted without regard for humanity himself. I can still understand shooting the boss. I can understand bulldozing some others on the way as collateral. It's the not asking questions and blowing up everything without even knowing if it wasn't maybe a civilian colony as well.
The presence of children sure suggests it...

It's got nothing to do with fighting won't solve anything", it's kind of about respect for your enemy. And shooting someone from behind... come on. That's cowardly anywhere.

Oh and someone called them terrorists- I didn't pay that much attention, but aren't they technically kind of an independent nation of sorts? Seeing how they were abandoned and have their own country/planet/colony?
That makes them a warring faction, not terrorists, which would be a big difference in terms of everything.

All in all, I just didn't agree with the development (or thought it didn't make sense in some parts), but this arc might be what you normally see in flashbacks or in a prequel later on... e.g. "how our ancestors screwed up".
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 15:41   Link #83
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
But, like I said above, I'm not supporting what the UE did. I'm just saying Flit&Co are just as much full of BS as they are and I can't really see how I should support either side.
But they're not the ones going around murdering innocent civilians. They are directing their targets against legitimate military facilities.

The UE are the ones blowing up colonies and attacking passenger ships for some weird plan they got going.

In a way the UE created Flit and Grodeck for massacring their families and forcing people against their will to fight for them. IMO that's on a pretty evil level there and the two have never done anything to the UE to deserve that treatment. The UE bought this upon themselves by directing their anger at the Earth sphere as a whole and completely ignoring the Federation.

Just like the Bride in Kill Bill said to the child, "She had it coming"

It's exactly as Yarik admitted, they're jealous that the people of Earth sphere have a much easier life than those of Mars so they want to make them pay for that.

That's like justifying opening fire on a wedding simply because they get to have fun while you don't despite having no connection to them at all.

Quote:
Thing is, you don't get to decide who is human and who is not- even if we sometimes would like to (and I perfectly understand wanting to dehumanize and deny rights to some people... it's just that you can't go down the route of "the lives we lost were more important than yours" for obvious reasons
Hmmm. If I met a guy who spent his time massacring innocent people and forcing children to be other peoples' play toys and bombs that had nothing to do with them then yeah i would put them as a monster that deserves to be put down.

Quote:
Nah, didn't necessarily mean that. I was more trying to point out that Grodek acted without regard for humanity himself. I can still understand shooting the boss. I can understand bulldozing some others on the way as collateral. It's the not asking questions and blowing up everything without even knowing if it wasn't maybe a civilian colony as well.
The presence of children sure suggests it...
Actually I'm more concerned if the show goes into that way Gundam SEED style which I despise.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 15:41   Link #84
Araxiel

Neither faction's meant to be presented as being entirely in the right. That's how humans work, and it's a thing they love doing in Gundam- even the 'good guys' tend to dwell in a moral grey area and make up hypocritical justifications for their actions.
We're not meant to be cheering for the Diva's crew here just because they're the good guys.
Old 2012-01-23, 15:46   Link #85
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post

But this isn't about the colony or the thousands that died there for Grodek and Flit. It's just about Yurin, Mom, and Grodek's family. I didn't get the impression that they cared much about the general population (at least not much. It's not much more than a justification), it's all personal.
Not sure if you're trying to provoke discussion or poo-pooing on the series, but I'll assume the former.

I don't share your view at all. Maybe if you were looking from the perspective of Geera Zoi's child, perhaps. What Geera Zoi's child lacks is the audience's perspective of how the events of the final episode came to be. By hypothesizing that Flit is purely motivated by his personal vengeance is seriously selling short his character development. Flit's mother's death, Nora's destruction, the sacrifices of Bruzar, Don Boyage and Yurin--all of which contributes to Flit's frame of mind and provided the context for his overarching goal, which has never wavered--to be the savior. Bruzar's and Don Boyage's final speeches were all about pinning their hopes on Flit and the potential that he could make the difference. With Yurin's death, it does become quite personal, but how Flit got to Ambat were most definitely not motivated by personal revenge.

Finally, Flit's goal is fundamentally different from that of Grodek's (and we saw this in animation). Grodek is purely motivated by revenge but qualifies his goal as such, but it's also in the context of uncovering the UE and finding out what caused the senseless destruction of Colony Angel and Colony Nora. It's entirely plausible that the Diva's crew went along because of the loss of Nora, and was sympathetic or identified with Grodek's aims because it was complementary to their own. Nevertheless, he turns himself in and takes responsibility, and thus ending his influence over the matter.

One of the things I'm looking forward to is how they will deal with Flit's worldview in the new generation, and how they may clash with that of his son (or even Woolf's for that matter).
Realist_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 17:56   Link #86
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Trauma doesn't justify how much hypocrisy he has going on. I sympathize though. Thing is, you don't get to decide who is human and who is not- even if we sometimes would like to (and I perfectly understand wanting to dehumanize and deny rights to some people... it's just that you can't go down the route of "the lives we lost were more important than yours" for obvious reasons). On the whole I agree though, I can cut Flit a break, he's 12... Grodek however not.
Flit is 14 years old.

Quote:
I know, the whole UE reveal didn't make a whole lot of sense. Well, I guess there was military weaponry on Flit's colony- so maybe that's why they attacked.
But they haven't been serious this whole time, so that doesn't make sense either. I guess we will have to wait until we find out more about this "masterplan" or whatever... I'm not confident it will be good though, as they seem so hell-bent on painting the UE bad, what with the evil grinning and all.
Or they deliberately targeted Colony Angel as that is where the Asuno's live.

Even Madorna knows the Asuno rep that comes with the Gundam's legend.

In any case Eden/Veigan attacks are both predictable and erratic. Talking to Geera Zoi suggest brainwashed fanatics led by a egotistical demagogue dictator.

Pretty much replace Mars Zeon with the Jupiter Empire.

One thing is for sure they are back and they want to conquer Earth. They are weakening the colonies before they do so.

The way I see it Flit's arc is the skirmish, Asemu's arc would be Earth's invasion, Kio's arc would be taking the fight to Mars.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 18:06   Link #87
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

There's no point in weakening colonies that have no military presence.
Old 2012-01-23, 19:22   Link #88
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
There's no point in weakening colonies run by a Federation whose best MS weapons are flashlights.......
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 20:56   Link #89
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Spoiler for Reply to SoldierOfDarkness:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxiel View Post
Neither faction's meant to be presented as being entirely in the right. That's how humans work, and it's a thing they love doing in Gundam- even the 'good guys' tend to dwell in a moral grey area and make up hypocritical justifications for their actions.
We're not meant to be cheering for the Diva's crew here just because they're the good guys.
That is obvious And it's a good thing they went down that route. Some of the previous episodes left you with basically nothing or little to talk about.
That said, I find there's an unusually dark shade of grey applied in this case, and I'm curious to find out if it was intentional or not. Normally you can tell by the overall quality of the show but this one had big ups and downs so I'm unsure as of yet...

Spoiler for Reply to Realist_Classic:
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 21:25   Link #90
Key Board
Carbon

Grodek was indeed dragging everyone along into his personal quest for revenge, and it seems that Flit will be growing up to be the 2nd coming of Grodek

but that's what I like about them

The last thing I need is to be preached yet again about how "understanding" can magically solve all problems

Leave that for the 3rd generation. Kio certainly looks the part for that. Yes, I'm stereotyping him, I know. I'm glad if I'm proven wrong.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 22:57   Link #91
kakakka

Quote:
Flit's motivation before Yurin is the be saviour. He's doing it so no one will have their love ones killed by UE.

Quote:
I did find it curious how willingly the Diva crew would turn to mutiny even considering that they were upset about the loss of Nora- they haven't really been screwed over by the Federation or anything and they are military personel after all.

They are not the original Diva crew. If the orange captain have it his way, it's just him and his underlings taking Diva out of Nora.

Last edited by kakakka; 2012-01-23 at 23:38.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 23:50   Link #92
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Dude, its the same concept as your beloved Turn A... A forgotten group of humans colonizing a place elsewhere and kept developing their technology comes back to invade Earth, which has lost its technology (in this case due to the disarmament treaty)
It's not about the concept it's about the exposition...Been saying this all season...I don't like cheating...I don't like having a final episode where some shady character grabs a piece of chalk and spells out what everything is about as if we could've figured any of this out based on the writing of the previous 14 episodes...Darth Yole could have said ANYTHING and that would have been (Would have HAD to have been) acceptable...That's not good writing...

In Turn A before we got to the Moonrace, we knew who they were, even if we didn't know the true agenda behind their mission (Gym Gingenham's agenda)...A $hitload of characters from the Moonside were expedited before we ever ventured to the physical place that was the Moon...There was cachet, this had none...Completely void of...

Quote:
The fact that they are from Mars isn't important, that's why they don't really need to set it up. Like you said, they could be from anywhere and the concept would still be the same - they were abandoned by Earth, they've seen a lot of deaths and are pissed off about it, and they are coming back out for blood.
Ofcourse it's not important...That's why I didn't care about it and chose to focus on the good animation...If the big reveal is handled this sweepingly I guess they never wanted me to care, so I don't...Do you care about what the UE has gone through based on that reveal? How could you, other than just caring for the sake of caring? Because there's nothing there, even with an overplayed Gundam concept...

It is what it is man...The storyline in this show hasn't impressed and the Veigan thing is just more of the same...But atleast with these last 3 episodes i didn't have to waste my kush, and if they attack the next gen (From the Start), like these last 3 eps in just animation quality, i can deal...It's time for the time-gimmick to do it's job, and maybe it can...
Old 2012-01-23, 23:52   Link #93
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Skull, stop being a SEEDling.
I don't understand your fixation on Grodek and your need to demonize the guy every post you make. He is flawed, but he never hid his intentions, nor did he try to rationalized his actions. He did it for revenge, and because the Federation wasn't doing its job to protect its citizens. In fact, as a soldier he and the Diva crew had an OBLIGATION to go after the UE.

Chocolate bar captain understood Grodek and knew the the right thing was to go to Ambat, and that's why he let them go and wished them luck.

While the right thing may have been to capture Gerra and have him answer for his crimes, you can' fault Grodek for letting his emotions take over after everything the UE did.

Get over it, this ain't SEED where characters are perfect and always make the right decisions. Thankfully I might add
Old 2012-01-23, 23:53   Link #94
kakakka

Quote:
I don't like having a final episode...
This is not the last episode though

Quote:
In Turn A before we got to the Moonrace, we knew who they were, even if we didn't know the true agenda behind their mission (Gym Gingenham's agenda)...
From what I remember, we don't know the true agenda even before 3 episodes before the end.

Quote:
Do you care about what the UE has gone through based on that reveal? How could you, other than just caring for the sake of caring? Because there's nothing there, even with an overplayed Gundam concept...

I sure did not care. And I doubt that is the focus of that.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 00:09   Link #95
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^It's the final episode of a 3-stage time gimmick Gundam show, so that was the final episode of arc 1...I mean I don't mind being patronized but c'mon...
Old 2012-01-24, 00:19   Link #96
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

It's not like Grodek forced the Diva crew to join him. He gave them a choice; which they took and thus some lost their lives for that choice.

I also doubt Flit will become the 2nd coming of Grodek. We need to contextualise their situation. Grodek lost his whole family, meaning he had no kin anymore and thus would have nothing to hold him back in his quest for revenge. That was already depicted in the show: he knew if he failed, he would still join his family. Whereas Flit settled down with Emily, and has a family. Surely the guilt of abandoning his family would restrain him - that's probably why he joined the EFF proper, to carry on his battle from within the establishment instead of being some crazy maniac/mercenary (like Saachez) who's only desire is war or revenge.

Though I'm sure Flit's going to emerge in the 2nd arc as a darker figure. If Asem's a hot-headed brat, Flit would probably smack some sense in him and guide him in their fight against the UE. If Flit's life depicts a person whose life was scarred by the UE, then Asem's would be one who moves on from it and seeks to redress the grievances.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 05:58   Link #97
Sage Shinigami

Send a message via AIM to Sage Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Sage Shinigami
Quote:
real stuff:
- Flit's moral BS- I basically wanted to throw up every time he said something. It's okay for him to shoot and kill UE, it's even ok for him to attack a helpless man with a Gundam. But the UE is not human because they fight for their cause. Sure...
This isn't "fighting for a cause". The UE not only had numbers, but they had superior firepower and weaponry; everything that makes up a legitimate army. The Genoace was the standard mobile suit, and we saw--repeatedly--how easily they turned those into scrap. The UE could have declared actual war on the Federation. Not something I'm "cool" with, but at least something I could respect given their reasons. But that's NOT what they did. Every time I saw them, they were never attacking an army (unless Grudek was involved), they were always ONLY attacking civilian colonies. They threw their OWN humanity away the second they did that.

Quote:
- Grodek and Flit being revenge-driven fools who neither care nor acknowledge their enemy just because of their personal little drama: "20% of you people died, and you basically got screwed over royally? WHO CARES, you killed 3 people we cared about- your victims don't matter, and we don't really care about anyone else either."
Okay then. I just killed your wife and child because your bosses screwed my people over. One hundred and fifty years ago. Please, tell me how much you care now. No matter how you look at it, the UE are classic, mustache-twirling villains until they give me a REAL reason to believe otherwise. Yeah, this was an attempt to humanize them, but only if you allow yourself to forget that they haven't attacked the Federation directly yet. They've just been terrorizing innocent colonies--likely under the belief that "no one is truly innocent, including children".

Also, you're projecting. The series STATED Flit cared about the people the UE were destroying as well, you're just saying he didn't because Flit didn't mention them in his rage-induced speech in this last episode.

Quote:
And what he told the little boy. Again, if they were as righteous as they claimed, Grodek would've offered the boy to kill him to make up for his sins or something. Not antagonized him.
Well, to start. Grudek never claimed to be righteous. Flit did, but Flit didn't pull the trigger. Fortunately, as that would've been a fundamental change to his character. As far as antagonizing, I didn't see it that way. I saw it more like Itachi after killing his entire family then talking to his little brother. (I'm not a huge Naruto fan, but it fits the situation.) It's pretty much just the admission of guilt, but he is in no way repentant. That was the man that stole his family, seemingly for something that happened before either of them were ever born. He's not sorry, but he is acknowleding what he took from the boy.

Quote:
We're also all really happy that Flit&Co managed to commit a senseless mass murder.
I hope we're not supposed to sympathize with them?!
I do, but then again I don't make a habit of siding with people that murder innocents over people that are fighting in a war.

Quote:
The best part was where Grodek complains that the UE's plans were "just revenge"- FUNNY, coming from the guy who just shot a man who gave him perfectly legitimate reasons for his actions and didn't even bother to acknowledge his humanity- or his poor son who did nothing wrong. I seriously can't believe he said that thing to the kid. What hypocritical idiot- and no, Millais, the man is no hero, or was that a rhetorical question?
Again, I really, really, really want to know what makes you think it's okay to take your revenge out on people who don't even know you OR have any idea what happened to you. Why, because "ignorance is no excuse"? I realize you're trying to humanize the UE, but until they explain the point in murdering random colonies with almost zero Federation influence, it's not actually possible. You're sounding real Relena Peacecraft up in here, lol.

And I'm seriously not sure why you think it was mocking the child. Grudek didn't even know he HAD a child until after he'd shot him. Upon seeing that, as someone else said, he realized he'd sentenced the child to the exact same fate.

Also, the hypocrisy thing...I do not think that word means what you think it means. Grudek flat out SAID he was doing this for revenge. Then when Yark Dole called that petty and went on to explain his reasons...it pretty much just sounded like revenge.

Quote:
- Setting Flit up to be some bitter crazy who doesn't care about his wife- as we got zero development for what is a pivotal plot point. Because of some girl he hung out with for a few days when he was 12. Laughable, this is bad writing at its finest. I could understand Yurin as a symbol for the innocent getting involved, or "someone he briefly cared about and who unfortunately died which was sad and gave him a hard time for a while, but the whole thing is in the past now, as these things happen in war, (and it's not as if they were going to get married- they were 12)"- you know... as would happen in real life, or in a well-written script.
You're seriously underestimating how it feels to be in love for the first time. The only thing that was bad writing was how telegraphed it was that she was going to die. Flit's rage at her being killed off, and his actions following that, were perfectly reasonable characterization.

Quote:
Instead he wants to become a righteous hero- well that ship has sailed.
Nah, I'd say he's doing an excellent job so far. He seems more determined than ever to protect people from the UE, even though the Gundam multiverse usually denies their protagonists the ability to properly do so.

Quote:
As for Grodek, I'm glad he gets to rot in prison and didn't die. I hope he lives up to a ripe old, miserable age in there.
Hopefully something similarly gruesome awaits Flit... <_<
If it does then this series is teaching you that stopping people who "have a good reason" from murdering innocents and killing your loved ones is apparently a horrible, terrible thing. Are you honestly rooting for the bad guys here or are you trolling?

Quote:
Overall:
this episode: 7/10 because it managed to rile me up. If the moral nonsense was intentional and will have consequences, Code Geass style, I'd give a higher score, but I'm not sure about that for now-especially since really no one faced justice except Grodek.
...Code Geass style? Hah. You're one of those types that thought Suzaku was right, aren't you?
Sage Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 06:15   Link #98
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
^It's the final episode of a 3-stage time gimmick Gundam show, so that was the final episode of arc 1...I mean I don't mind being patronized but c'mon...
That still doesn't matter, it's like the Act 1 of a play, the arc is meant to be served as exposition, and merely forms one part of the full story, not as a standalone tale.

This episode is supposed to be the dark plot twist that sets the stage for the next arc. It's a common literary technique that I'm sure you should be familiar with, being a writer and all.
Old 2012-01-24, 07:53   Link #99
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
That still doesn't matter, it's like the Act 1 of a play, the arc is meant to be served as exposition, and merely forms one part of the full story, not as a standalone tale.

This episode is supposed to be the dark plot twist that sets the stage for the next arc. It's a common literary technique that I'm sure you should be familiar with, being a writer and all.
Yeah, but the big thing about AGE was this " 3 generations " gimmick, one would expect something big at the end of the first generation, imo, episode 14 was better than episode 15, but 15 wasnt bad at all, it just didn't live up to the high expectations people had seeing how dissapointed some people got during the Fardain arc (myself included)

i'm really looking forward to the second gen, the show really picked up after fardain imo, if it keeps up this pace it'll be great
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 09:57   Link #100
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
Yeah, but the big thing about AGE was this " 3 generations " gimmick, one would expect something big at the end of the first generation, imo, episode 14 was better than episode 15, but 15 wasnt bad at all, it just didn't live up to the high expectations people had seeing how dissapointed some people got during the Fardain arc (myself included)
It's a 3 generations "gimmick" which has yet to be fully utilized. So, until the credits roll for the last episode, saying that the device failed to deliver is premature. We get a denouement for Flit's arc (a good one), but the story told using this "gimmick" is far from over. If Gundam AGE was entirely about Flit and his centrality to the story, then there might be some serious issues (but apparently the plot is just so flawed that there's no rescuing it for some).

Not saying that the writers will ultimately pull off using this "gimmick" successfully, but I'm going to keep watching because it's still entertaining to watch (for me).
Realist_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion