AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-10-12, 11:27   Link #1
ohitislove

Lisa Williams

Do you guys like her? Do you know of her? I find her work extremely interesting and I don't think she's fake despite what others may say about her! I've been watching her show on Lifetime TV lately, and I think she's a really extroverted person.

For those who don't know, she is a clairvoyant [psychic]; she can contact spirits and talk to people from the dead...
ohitislove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 08:31   Link #2
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

No offence or nothing. I really don't care. IT doesn't matter if its real or not, its just that the dead and dead to me, so I really can't care.

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 14:33   Link #3
i8o
のヮの

I dont know at all
i8o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 21:37   Link #4
AGX-17
Nightmare Cluster

I wonder if she'll be going up against John Edward for the Biggest Douche in the Universe award this year.
AGX-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 21:49   Link #5
Thrasher187
Spellcaster
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Thrasher187
Nope I never heard of her...care to tell us who she is?
Thrasher187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 03:19   Link #6
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher187 View Post
Nope I never heard of her...care to tell us who she is?
She's a person who claims to speak with the dead. She's in the same line of work as John Edwards, going before audiences and pretending they are psychic to make a buck.

It makes me sick. How can people fall for this bull? These people are not reading spirits, they aren't reading psychic waves or anything like that. They are reading you. Much like any other good con artist they say something, read your reaction, and go from there. In many cases they will mingle with their audiences before the readings and gather personal information to make their readings more "accurate".

I'm not saying that people with actual psychic powers may or may not exist, but no one goes on cable tv and is actually serious about it being the real deal. They're like the new age magician. It's all smoke and mirrors. It's all about fooling the audience into believing something that isn't true, only these people prey on the emotions of people who lost a loved one.
Old 2007-10-14, 15:15   Link #7
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
She's a person who claims to speak with the dead.
Probably the reason why I don't know her and don't care about her. =o
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 16:39   Link #8
Crystal Requiem

Send a message via MSN to Crystal Requiem
Quote:
It makes me sick. How can people fall for this bull? These people are not reading spirits, they aren't reading psychic waves or anything like that. They are reading you. Much like any other good con artist they say something, read your reaction, and go from there. In many cases they will mingle with their audiences before the readings and gather personal information to make their readings more "accurate".
Although I've never watched phony stuff like this, I do appreciate a good ruse from time to time. And.... Well, it sells. There are people out there who will do anything to cling onto faith and hope that there is something more out there to make them feel at ease. Sometimes these people ARE idiots, sometimes they're just desperate. For the most part, the supernatural and fantasy has always made money, so it's milked just like any other phony talent that can bring happiness to a person.

Lol, sorry, your explanation made me think of xxxHOLiC, depending on the question, one hears what they want to hear, so certain statements can be taken either way. I've always loved those kinds of tricks.
Crystal Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 16:59   Link #9
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Requiem View Post
Lol, sorry, your explanation made me think of xxxHOLiC, depending on the question, one hears what they want to hear, so certain statements can be taken either way. I've always loved those kinds of tricks.
Was the same with me. xD I didn't want to bother posting those thoughts though. xD
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 17:31   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

http://www.randi.org/ ..... so it goes.
Old 2007-10-14, 18:45   Link #11
no common sense
Resident Asshole

Conning stupid people out of their money while leaving them satisfied is a good thing. It's the heart of capitalism, the idiots are dumb and happy while the intelligent con artists become rich. Everybody wins. Mind you, I don't endorse rip offs, you do have to give the idiots what they expect in exchange for their money. If you give them BS and they eat it up and come back for more then that is legit. Selling false hope isn't as bad as selling H3s, diamonds, Britney albums, Pokemon cards, or Man Faye costumes. There isn't nearly as much negative externalities passed on to third parties. At least if the idiots spend money on mediums they have less money to spend on the above mentioned things. Don't fight it, join it. By the way, I have one of the skullcaps that was dropped by the Jews that really did the World Trade Center bombing that the government doesn't want you to know about and I'll sell it to you for only $1000.
no common sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 12:25   Link #12
mistershow

She's from London, that's why I don't think a lot of people from the US know about her. My cousin actually flew out there to meet with her.. and she was amazed by how accurate Lisa was about her best friend that died when my cousin was 16 years old. She knew how her best friend died, where, and down to the detailed description... like my cousin was a skeptic, and now because of this, she's not skeptical anymore!
mistershow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 15:28   Link #13
kitto-chan
很快是工程師

Quote:
Originally Posted by no common sense View Post
By the way, I have one of the skullcaps that was dropped by the Jews that really did the World Trade Center bombing that the government doesn't want you to know about and I'll sell it to you for only $1000.

Spoiler for reply:
kitto-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 18:33   Link #14
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You forgot to include the Nigerian princess who needs to transfer money desperately.

At this point, readers should get a clue that Lisa and her ilk are skillful scam artists or people who are just intuitively able to gather data and may think they have a gift. They do ... its just not the one being advertised.
Old 2007-10-31, 13:26   Link #15
sukilovesme

i've seen the show... its very facinating to see how she can just pick up on the person or place so precisely... now I know with many psychics claiming to be real turn up to be fake in reality... but I was really amazed by her and think she is truly talented!
sukilovesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 17:56   Link #16
Hotaru Suzume
Ten oorlog!
*Artist

I don't think real hexes and the like go on TV, and perhaps magic was replaced by gunpowder long ago...
Hotaru Suzume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 18:41   Link #17
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewoud View Post
I don't think real hexes and the like go on TV, and perhaps magic was replaced by gunpowder long ago...
To be honest, most people actually want to be fooled. And to an extent, there's nothing wrong with that. No one goes to a magic show expecting the magician to explain how he does his tricks. They go to suspend their beliefs and to see things that should be impossible made real. They only care about the mechanics of the mystery after the act, if the act is something they can't easily see through.

The arguement of real magic and psychic powers is as old as...well, it's been in our history for as long as we've recorded it. Even our ancestors had elders who claimed to speak with spirits and read the flow of the universe. Maybe they could and we've forgotten that knowledge, who knows? Science and reason ushered in an age of pure logic. These days people don't care about philosophy as much as they do mechanics. We still have a fascination with the unexplained but people are always quick to point out the lack of evidence (such as I did in my earlier posts).

There's a lot of things we simply do not know about the nature of the universe or even our own minds. It might be possible to harness those energies in a way that is like magic, and it's also possible that some people have more "attuned" minds than others. That is a debate that rages on and probably will until the end of man's existence.

Someone once stated that technology will advance to a point where it will appear as magic. I don't disagree with that. But, I do not have any appreciation for people who use others fascination for the unexplained to taint memories of loved ones. I've lost many friends and family members over the years. I prefer to keep the memories of their lives, and celebrate that existence, rather than have someone tell me what may or may not be true that they have spoken beyond the grave.
Old 2007-11-01, 15:13   Link #18
User65554
Disabled By Request

Quote:
But, I do not have any appreciation for people who use others fascination for the unexplained to taint memories of loved ones. I've lost many friends and family members over the years. I prefer to keep the memories of their lives, and celebrate that existence, rather than have someone tell me what may or may not be true that they have spoken beyond the grave.
I agree with that, but from what I've heard (haven't seen her show), Williams seems to be fairly harmless. There are some 'psychics' out there who aren't, such as Sylvia Browne. For those that don't know, she deals (mainly) with what happens/d to missing children. The link explains a lot (although it is a bit long).
User65554 is offline   Reply With Quote