AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-12-24, 12:03   Link #1
Hera

Thumbs up KAZE HIKARU ! Shining Wind

Hi Otaku!!

I've found a new, very interesting manga by Taeko Watanabe: Kaze Hikaru

The story took place in the Meiji Revolution; main characters are Shinsengumi warriors :P In Kaze Hikaru, you'll find some familiar names like : Okita Souji, Saito Hajime ...... LOL

Sssssss....... The main character of this story is Okita Souji himself! He's protecting a girl - Kamiya - who disguises as a man to join the Shinsengumi unit! LOL ........ Very funny! LOL...... OKITA is the comical yet highly-skilled head of the first unit of the Shinsengumi. He is assigned to look after Kamiya Seizaburou; a task he takes more seriously when he discovers her secret.

Yea, Okita's always with a smile on his face, which scares the heck out of his enemies ... hahaha.......
- Kamiya: "You... You feel for her death, too, right? But... How can you always smile like that, Okita?"
- "because I'm a samurai" - He said

It's currently vol. 16 in Japan!
Old 2007-02-04, 21:28   Link #2
Jenn Maggot

I picked up Vol. 1 of Kaze Hikaru a few months ago and I love it! I'm bummed it's only up to Vol. 4 (US) so far. Souji is the man! I really like Hijikata too, but no one can be cooler than Souji.
Old 2007-02-04, 22:29   Link #3
Runesque
Reluctant Designer

I've been following Kaze Hikaru for a few years now and am loving it. I love the clean art and *massive* attention to detail from the women's hairstyles in differing regions down to people's walking gaits down to the regional snacks, thanks to the author's relentless research. The philosophy talks more than often baffle me, being logic from another world which interestingly make enough sense if you imagine yourself in the character's shoes. And the metaphors are just beautiful.

And, how can one talk about KH and not mention the comedy? The "Kondou=father, Hijikata=mother, Souji=spoiled child" running gag is a classic ^^. In future (in the ShojoBeat version) there will be a key player who sticks on a VERY unwilling Hijikata like glue and provides most of the manga's comedy share for a few vols.
Old 2007-02-22, 01:57   Link #4
Jenn Maggot

Soji makes an excellent child!

So ... where exactly are all the KH fans?
Old 2007-02-22, 20:03   Link #5
Runesque
Reluctant Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Maggot View Post
Soji makes an excellent child!

So ... where exactly are all the KH fans?
I'm afraid you won't find many in the West at least, not so soon. If the reviews are anything to go by, it will take some time for people (especially readers of Rurouni Kenshin or Peacemaker) to warm up to Watanabe's version of the Shinsengumi, ie. roundish/kiddish faces, lighthearted comedy, overall lack of grim/gore. That, and the heroine is, in essence, a Mary Sue. But then again, even the author acknowledges in the extras that what she's drawing is a shoujo manga and takes artistic license in... say... Souji's long bangs. Someone his age was really supposed to sport a topknot but there's no aesthetic sense in a topknotted Souji, hahaha.
Old 2007-02-22, 23:47   Link #6
Jenn Maggot

My first manga with Soji was Kaze Hikaru. Then I came across him while reading the Rurouni Kenshin Profiles book and googled to see how he was portrayed in RK. I like how he's drawn in RK but he's my favorite in Kaze Hikaru, but maybe that's just because I saw him there first I've seen him in PMK (is that it?) but I don't like how he's drawn in that one at all.

Hopefully Kaze Hikaru will gain more western fans soon. It'd be sad if it didn't, as it's quite good.
Old 2007-02-23, 15:48   Link #7
Runesque
Reluctant Designer

Besides Peacemaker, RK and KH, I've also seen Burai's representation of Souji and the others. The mangaka, I think, is Iwasaki Youko and her art style is, er, BL of FAKE's variety. She's made Souji *bigger* than Saitou Hajime with looong white wavy hair and a smile showcasing pearly whites so white it would've landed him a contract with Pepsodent except no one knew what Pepsodent was. You wouldn't even know he's Asian. I definitely prefer him in RK or KH.
Closed Thread