AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-10, 00:20   Link #1741
macdawson

They're still ahead of the original series where the Yamato only got to Balun in episode 20. The main differences are that there is a lot more going on in all the fronts this time and the story is a lot different by now from the original. Hope they pull it off as this show deserves a good ending. It would suck to have it be so good throughout only to have such a good run ruined by a rushed or mediocre ending. A lot of shows have suffered from those in recent history...
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 00:36   Link #1742
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One thing that has made it easier for them to show and tell more story is the complete dropping of the narrator. Aside from the previews I think their has been only two instances of backstory narration in this series and that was worked in as Yuki giving a presentation of the War and State of the Earth to school children. The other being the "War Against the Aliens" propaganda/newreel film Shima and Okita were watching in the theater. Without the minute or two long "Story so far" narration from every episode, they have time to tell the story. We don't need a reminder every week anymore.

In addition they've gotten rid of the rest of the narration. Half the time they came to a new planet the narrator would spout out some lore on the place to pan shots or stills without moving the plot much. In the narrator's place we get the crew telling someone else in the crew about it, or they just show it instead of telling it, which is better cinema and storytelling. Also gone it the "There are X days left" speech the narrator would give the the end of the episode. That's placed in the preview instead, again giving more time for the story.

On thing that amuses me since episode 7 in Yamato 2199 has been that they've decide to put some of the music directly into the ship. Instead of it all being just scene music, they've actually tied some of it into the series. The navy's song that the crew of the Yukikaze sang has been heard or hummed several times since then. Then you get Yamato Radio playing music from time to time. And finally the one I enjoy most...Kodai playing the harmonica. The harmonica version of the Scarlet Scarf song had been done in the original, but to have it start in one scene and then change scene to show Kodai playing the song was quite amusing.

Presently they are actually ahead of the original series in terms of storyline. At least in some places. The old episode 14 fits in a way with episode 10 and 12 of Yamato 2199. However Episode 15 of the original seems to fit in with Episodes 10, 13, 14 and 15 in Yamato 2199 (this was the episode where Dommel's fleet arrived at Balan (episode 12), Yamato got caught in a weird region of space (episode 10), Dommel attacked them with his fleet (episode 15), but Yamato got help from Iscandar(episode 14?)). Old Episode 16 and Yamato 2199 Episode 16 seem to matchup in terms of the ship arriving at Beeland, but also looks like it will contain element of later original series episodes as well. They should arrive at Balun by Episode 18 in Yamato 2199 were they didn't reach that planet until Episode 20 in the original. (Means no Balanosaurus or a random attempt to float home to Earth in a space suit episodes?)

They should have at least two more new episodes to work with for their new plots without messing up the story at all. Plus probably a third episode's worth of time just from cut narrations in those episodes.
Old 2013-03-10, 00:58   Link #1743
YF19EX

Still waiting to see if they will implement the asteroid ring shield and how Kodai will get the back story on Sanada and in this case Nimii's familiarity with the older Mamoru.

I do like how they are writing the Garmilas forces. Even though I have the original Quest for Iscandar on DVD, I have not watched it in so long. I do remember much of the Garmilas generals were portrayed to be quite arrogant and overconfident in there ability to destroy Yamato. In this one Dommel seems quite honorable if not sympathetic to the plight of his people and to his duty as a soldier. How he will be defeated (or will he?) will be interesting to see.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 01:24   Link #1744
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I've still not sure if they will even do the asteroid ring now. It could have been seen as goofy science and replaced with the shields instead. I don't recall seeing that subject even come up in the interviews. They mentioned the Drill Missile and get questions about the Queen of Beeland from time to time, but not the asteroid ring.

Though the recently translated interview with Anno and Izubuchi suggests that Anno would probably have put it in. Anno is more Earth side while Izubichi is more Gamilas side (and it shows). I'm happy seeing more Gamilas storylines, though I doubt we'll see the Dessler from later on's personality (I don't quite understand what they were talking about but he didn't understand why Dessler's personality changed after Farewell). Which makes me wonder how they would do a theoretical Yamato 2201-like series.

As for Sanada's backstory and the rest, I get the feeling they will do a version of the Satellite Fortress episode, just using one of those warp gate things we see Dommel's fleet using. A friend suggested that it might be the case where if things happened differently, Niimi might have been Kodai's sister-in-law. Perhaps a love-triangle at the Academy, University, or even High School with Sanada, Niimi, and Mamoru (they are all around the same age and would have entered higher education before the war started in 2191).

Considering the point-blank shock cannon fire to Dommel's forward turrets, if Yamato doesn't destroy that ship in that battle, it will be messed up for a while. Dommel will definately have respect for Okita at that point as Yamato would have done its best. Without the wave motion gun I assume, since they are quite surrounded and being without power in that instance would be fatal...even for Yamato.
Old 2013-03-10, 07:33   Link #1745
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Oh that is quite clear. The question is, who's side is Shima on (as I can't make out what he says due to limited knowledge of the language). I would say it has to do with issues between the Yamato Plan (get to Iscandar and back in one Earth year) verses Izumo Plan (Find a new planet for the human race to live).

I never liked Ito from the moment I say his smug looking face. He has the trope "smug snake" look. Also we will see if Roger Rambo is right about Hoshina
I'm touched that people remember a post I made over a year ago!

But yes. I still maintain Shiima gonna die.

Also, is it just me, or did the someone let rapper Maurice Richards take over the animation at several points this chapter?

Spoiler for Dat Ass:

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2013-03-11 at 01:06. Reason: Let's keep everything together...
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 08:31   Link #1746
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I'm touched that people remember a post I made over a year ago!

But yes. I still maintain Shiima gonna die.
I believe you mean Hoshina...

Spoiler for Mamoru, Sanada and Niimi:

About Sanada's cyborg reveal, if they do that at all, it might come in handy during the mutiny story.

The Garmillas coup d'etat story will probably take place and resolved during episodes 16 and 17, in tandem with the Yamato's mutiny and its resolution. From the available data i speculate chapter 5 will be roughly like this:

Spoiler for Highly speculative plot point based on available data and personal theories---take with a huge grain of salt :D:
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 08:43   Link #1747
LKK

Quote:
(Means no Balanosaurus or a random attempt to float home to Earth in a space suit episodes?)
I wouldn't mind if that side story was dropped. I always thought it was a strange story that didn't fit in.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 08:51   Link #1748
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I wouldn't mind if that side story was dropped. I always thought it was a strange story that didn't fit in.
Uhhh, what happened in that story?
Old 2013-03-10, 09:29   Link #1749
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Uhhh, what happened in that story?
Opening disclaimer: I've only seen the Starblazers version & it's been a couple of years since I last watched the series. But here's what I remember.

Spoiler for Starblazers' Homer story:

All in all, it's a horribly lame episode, IMO, and stretched my suspension of belief to its breaking point. Without a doubt, it's my least favorite episode of the Starblazers saga.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 15:23   Link #1750
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They might have elements of that plot in the new stories, but I think that will be taken over by the mutiny instead. The idea of using psychological warfare against Yamato is sort of sound, but the method wasn't since it really only effected one crew member.

Plus literally jumping ship in a space suit to float to Earth when you are nearly half way to Iscandar is stupid in the extreme. One will not make a 74,000 light year trip doing a free floating space walk.

The depression that calling home might cause was suggested by Ito when talking to Niimi about the crew calling home before leaving the Solar System.

And there are better ways to show the crew is homesick for Earth.

The other sort of silly episode idea was the Balanosuarus. We likely won't see that again either. They seem to have replaced it with the dimentional submarine...as it was the Balanosuarus episode's B Plot that had Okita go into surgery. It was also an episode that used the wave motion gun to solve all problems.

Speaking of the Wave Motion Gun. In Yamato 2199 they have now used that weapon a total of three times. One at Jupiter to devastating effect (episode 3), next to escape a solar flare (episode 8) and then to escape the dimentional rift (episode 10). In each instance there was loss of Gamilas life. (floating continent, Repair Bases, and a Gamilas destroyer. A Gamilas battleship to the solar flare. And a large part of the Balun Base Fleet to the Rift). Yamato did not fire the Wave Motion Gun in Chapter 4 at all.
Old 2013-03-10, 22:56   Link #1751
denshousha

Quote:
The idea of using psychological warfare against Yamato is sort of sound, but the method wasn't since it really only effected one crew member.
Plus literally jumping ship in a space suit to float to Earth when you are nearly half way to Iscandar is stupid in the extreme. One will not make a 74,000 light year trip doing a free floating space walk.
It might have worked had the entire crew been communicating with Earth. Aihara was the only one, IIRC, because he was using his position for personal use against orders. The stress of knowing the Earth was in chaos and watching helplessly as his father died on the monitor caused a psychotic break, hence the "space walk".
When he discovered that the Gamilans had built that relay satellite in order to lower the ship's morale, he realized he'd been used and snapped back to reality.

I really liked that episode. It was nice to see the Yamato crew were fallible sometimes, and it was great to see a secondary character like Aihara have something to do. (Poor Nanbu and Ohta never got an episode to shine in.)

Quote:
The other sort of silly episode idea was the Balanosuarus. We likely won't see that again either.
I agree with you there. I never really understood the concept. Goer was apparently using some sort of mental/psychic harness to make them form a certain shape... for some reason? Why did it have to be in that shape?
denshousha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-11, 04:37   Link #1752
August138

Simply put, when the original YAMATO was produced, there was a plan to feature all kinds of space creatures, because at the time there was a huge presence and popularity of giant monsters on Japanese television — hence the Balanodon/Balanosaurus (and we should throw in the Ecto-gas into this category as well). With that being said, it seems we will get a huge mucking beastie in the Beemera episode of Y2199.

Last edited by August138; 2013-03-11 at 05:04.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-11, 06:57   Link #1753
Aqua Knight

Can someone remind me why Earth has only 1 year to live?

btw I am a new comer to the show - didn't watch the original, but damn Yamato is just so good!
Do I have to watch originals?

Because, for example, when I started watching Gundam Unicorn, I watched ep1 of Unicorn , then MSG old film, then Zeta, then Char's Counterattack and only then continued with Unicorn.

Also episodes come in packs by chapters or they come out weekly?
Old 2013-03-11, 08:11   Link #1754
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Knight View Post
Can someone remind me why Earth has only 1 year to live?
Earth has spent about the last decade being bombarded by planet bombs. Basically gigantic radioactive asteroids. The radiation, and biological agents on them that are causing earth to be terraformed, rendered the earth's surface uninhabitable, so people had to live in underground cities. But the radiation from all those years of bombardment is starting to creep further downward, nessecitating the humans to dig downwards even deeper.

Even though the Yamato destroyed the source of the planet bomb attacks, presumably the attacks have caused too much damage already. In a year, the existing radiation will creep down to the lowest levels where the humans live,and all terrestrial human life on earth will be wiped out. The only chance of survival is for the Yamato to get to Iscandar and back in under a year, and use the technologicla macguffin to repair the damage on earth.
Quote:
Do I have to watch originals?

Because, for example, when I started watching Gundam Unicorn, I watched ep1 of Unicorn , then MSG old film, then Zeta, then Char's Counterattack and only then continued with Unicorn.
No. You don't need to. Those gundam series were canonical parts of the same Universal Century series. They are chronological extensions of the same universe in continuity.

Yamato 2199 is a remake/reboot. It's taking the events of the original Yamato season 1, and remaking them. They've kept allot of things the same, but also changed allot of things. I wouldn't suggest watching it, since stuff in that could possibly spoil things for Yamato 2199 (even though there's still a chance things could be done differently). I'd suggest to only watch the original series after 2199 is finished, and only if you're interested. It's not required to understand anything.

Quote:
Also episodes come in packs by chapters or they come out weekly?
Episodes are coming out by chapter. They way it works is that a chapter of episodes gets released in theaters, then DVD's/Blu ray disks are sold for it either at the theaters, or shortly there after. Some of the older episodes are being broadcast weekly as reruns.

Hope that helps.
Old 2013-03-11, 08:34   Link #1755
Aqua Knight

Thanks a bunch!

Pity that there aren't such great space shows like Yamato in the recent years.
Old 2013-03-11, 11:49   Link #1756
GundamFan0083

Just finished watching episodes 12-14 last night.
Excellent, is how I'll describe them.

Spoiler for Just some of my opinions/thoughts.:
Old 2013-03-11, 13:05   Link #1757
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Spoiler for chapter 4:
Old 2013-03-11, 13:31   Link #1758
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Different planet. Iscandar has a lot more water to landmass ratio.
Old 2013-03-11, 13:37   Link #1759
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Is the planet that Dessler is always looking at Iscandar?
Old 2013-03-11, 13:47   Link #1760
August138

Spoiler for Episode 14: "Mirenel vs. Balanodon":

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato