Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-24, 19:27   Link #1
gamefreak124
Super Sexy Member

Send a message via AIM to gamefreak124
Anime Club Suggestions

hey guys, just found the site while surfing around for good anime, im VP of the club at school this year so im trying to find something good that everyone hasnt seen already in the past two years

Any suggestions would be great, movies preferably since its only 2-3 hours a week but a good 15 episode or so series to show over 3 weeks would be great as well
Old 2006-08-24, 19:39   Link #2
LCeh

Mmmm, I would probably recommend Now and Then, Here and There, a 13 ep series with basically no comedy, no romance. It talks about people going through war and stuff, quite serious, but very good stuff, though I am not sure if that's what you are looking for.

A great romance/drama/scifi series would be Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu, which is a 6 part OVA.

I haven't finished watching Haibane Renmei yet, but from what I have seen so far, it's also a very promising series.
Old 2006-08-24, 20:29   Link #3
Anime_o_Daisuki

You may be interested in Hoshi no Koe (Voices of a Distant Star), Beyond the Clouds , or Pale Cocoon . Beyond the Clouds is a 90 minute movie, but the other two are 20-25 minutes. The first one is about a seemingly hopeless long distance relationship (romance with a little bit of mecha action), the second one (the movie) is made by the same creator as the first one so it could also be treated as a romance, and the last one is something that makes you think, where you may contemplate what it is that you just saw. Good luck with the club and I hope the suggestions help.
Old 2006-08-24, 22:34   Link #4
Onibaba
"Nice, Takemoto!"

I would have to say action/comedy are probobly the safest bets when making people of all different preferences watching one series.

I don't think Now and Then, Here and There is a good choice unless you want something VERY depressing/almost sadistic, when done I'm not sure what type of aura your viewing room will be giving off :-S

Two that came to mind are Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu and School Rumble

Each series provides viewers with some type of action each episode to keep their attention. Haruhi is also heavy in the fantasy/sci-fi department, btw. School Rumble is more of a realistic lifestyle series with quite a bit of comedy. Each has hints of romance throughout for the shoujo fans

Note, Haruri is 13 episodes and School Rumble is 26.
Old 2006-08-24, 22:51   Link #5
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onibaba
Note, Haruri is 13 episodes and School Rumble is 26.
(slight) Correction, School Rumble's first season is 26 episodes, then the 2 episode OVA, and then the 26 episode second season.

Though I think both of those are probably pretty good suggestions.
Old 2006-08-24, 22:52   Link #6
ImClueless
Rawr

Is this college or high school? Also, what kind of members do you have? Are they a bunch of kids who watch Naruto and Gundam Seed and swear they are the best things since sliced bread or is it a slightly more mature audience willing to explore a variety of genres?
Old 2006-08-24, 23:16   Link #7
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ lol...

hmm i would suggest full metal panic...if the club is full of boys they would love the war and mecha (also comedy) theme here...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-08-24, 23:28   Link #8
ImClueless
Rawr

Im more clueless than thou Deathkillz.....
Old 2006-08-25, 00:20   Link #9
Alex Ikari
Berserk Knight

I'd recommend Shingetsutan Tsukihime and Zero no Tsukaima. I'd be surprised if any of them have seen S.T. but it's 12 episodes and has a mix of genres. It revolves around a world with Vampires and has very little comedy, but a noticeable harem, some action, and pretty good romance. I've only seen the dubbed version but I personally recommend it, you'll probably recognize a few of the voice actors because they're pretty well known.

Zero no Tsukaima is relatively new and just plain excellent, it's pretty much a shorter version of Shakugan no Shana. Lots of comedy, small harem, good animation, some action. The only problem is that it's 12 episodes long and so far most Fansub groups are at episode 8 or so, I'm not even sure if all 12 episodes are out yet. I recommend Froth-Bite in case you're interested, they're doing a good job on it.
Old 2006-08-25, 00:53   Link #10
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz
^ lol...

hmm i would suggest full metal panic...if the club is full of boys they would love the war and mecha (also comedy) theme here...
And if the club is full of girls, they'll love the relationships. Everyone loves FMP.

Unfortunately you should warn gamefreak124 about the length of this series. He put a limit of 15 episodes on any recommendations. This is 3 seasons and an OVA, for a total of 50 episodes. That's waaaay over the limit. Even just the first season is 24 episodes.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-08-29, 20:59   Link #11
gamefreak124
Super Sexy Member

Send a message via AIM to gamefreak124
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I'll try to respond to alot of the posts right now, here goes;

Age Group - High Schoolers

Kind of members - Quite a few hardcore anime fans who follow new series as they come out and are dubbed but also alot of "emo" kids who show up and watch the stuff and yes, unfortunately, rave about Gundam Seed and the latest english dubbed Naruto eps (oh and btw who the hell decided SLICED bread was so great?)

Something about a 15 episode cap is not what i was trying to suggest, it would just be convenient, it would be cool to show the first few eps of good longer animes to maybe inspire some of the members to go out and watch the rest of the series for themselves!

Thanks again for all the suggestions, ill check them out, more suggestions would be great and anything i can do to help out of provide input let em know (oh and the animeinfo.com links are really helpful )
Old 2006-08-29, 22:20   Link #12
mit7059

for the hardcore/mature anime watchers you could try Beck, and for the ignorant adult swim fanboys maybe seeing some quality would knock some sense into them, same goes for Honey & Clover

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-08-29, 23:21   Link #13
ImClueless
Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefreak124

Kind of members - Quite a few hardcore anime fans who follow new series as they come out and are dubbed but also alot of "emo" kids who show up and watch the stuff and yes, unfortunately, rave about Gundam Seed and the latest english dubbed Naruto eps (oh and btw who the hell decided SLICED bread was so great?)
Hmm, IMO out of the series already recommended Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Full Metal Panic!, and School Rumble are all excellent candidates, although your hardcore members probably have already seen them.

Honey and Clover on the other hand, while I love it and its a great series, I do not think it would be quite as good for the group you are showing it too. For one thing, the ages don't match so the viewers will not be able to relate to many of the circumstances in H&C (which I believe is one of its strong points). The show is also slow in pace, lack in action, and the comedy isn't quite all that concentrated so the Narutards will get turned off pretty quick and never come back again.

PS> Sliced bread is godly, otherwise there would be no sandwiches and you would have to tear the bread to bits with your hands since most loaves are too big to bite into.
Old 2006-08-30, 00:02   Link #14
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImClueless
PS> Sliced bread is godly, otherwise there would be no sandwiches and you would have to tear the bread to bits with your hands since most loaves are too big to bite into.
Its all about the subs, you could probably be percise enought with your hands to tear a loaf in a way to make a sub.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-08-30, 00:13   Link #15
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
cmon dude why dubs? subs > dubs lightyears away IMO and if the only thing they rave about is naruto and GDS they really need to get out more
sorry about not noticing about the 15 ep thing but still if you guys have time you should check out FMP...the first season has 24ep...
and a lot of emos erh? better not show them things that would give them ideas then

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-08-30, 00:26   Link #16
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well, the poster didn't say what the school's policy on fansubs was. This is a high school ,so showing TV MA (Beck) may not be a good thing either depending on the state and breaking the law by showing licensed material as fansubs is never a good thing (Beck, School Rumble).

So, my short list assumes that fansubs may not be good. Since they are raving about Naruto dubs and Gundam Seed, that also points against fansubs and favors R1 licensed DVD titles. Alot of stuff licensed is 24-26 or beyond so you might want to consider showing arcs of a title instead of the full title.

Completed in less than 17 episodes (action)

Full Metal Panic? FUMOFFU
Yukikaze
Macross Plus (OVA not the movie)
Patlabor the Movie
Spriggan
Negadon: The Monster from Mars
R.O.D (OVA)
Blood the Last Vampire
Le Portrait de Petite Cossette
Gunparade March
Mermaid Forest (Geneon release)
Appleseed (Geneon release)

Completed in less than 17 episodes (comedy)

Midori Days
Full Metal Panic? FUMOFFU

Shows with arcs that can be shown in less than 17 episodes and seem complete

Fafner (end it at the end of disc 4)
Otogi Zoshi (end it at end of disc 3)
Stellvia (end it at the end of disc 3)
Samurai 7 (end it at the end of disc 4)
Planetes (end it at end of disc 3)
Gankutsuou (end it at the end of disc 3)

Shows with arcs that can be shown in less than or equal to 20 episodes

Gilgamesh (end it at the end of disc 5)

Have you considered the distributor related programs ?

Last edited by orion; 2006-08-30 at 00:51.
Old 2006-08-30, 10:34   Link #17
MamoruUsagi

Here are my anime/manga recommendations in general.

Fushigi Yuugi is a great manga series. It is wonderful, romantic and touching.

Fushigi Yugi is 18 volumes long and has a wonderful romance. The couple gets married and has a child. It's a magical romance. The manga, 18 volumes is wonderful. The anime only goes up to volume 13. Read all 18 manga volumes. It is so wonderful. If all 18 manga volumes were made into the show, their would be 100 episodes. The manga is so great.

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon

Sailor Moon has 200 anime episodes, 18 manga volumes, the live action series. The romance is wonderful. The couple gets married and has a child. Their are lots of romantic kisses. I love Tuxedo Mask.

Ayashi no Ceres is a good manga series. The anime takes everything out. It has romance, the main couple has sex, has a child and elopes.

Marmalade Boy is both an anime and a manga series where both are equally good.

Kare First Love is a manga series with lots of emotion.

Happy Hustle High is a romantic and fun manga series.

Peach Girl is a realistic manga series. Their are 18 volumes. Volumes 1-8 are released as Peach Girl 1-8, volumes 9-18 are released as Peach Girl Cahnge of Heart 1-10. Make sure you get the right volumes, you might accidentally buy the wrong ones.

Mars is a mature manga series. It has 15 volumes and deals with serious issues. It deals with sex, rape, engagement, living together and serious issues.

Kare Kano is a manga and anime series.

The Devil Does Exist is a realistic romance manga.

Wild Act is a great romance manga, lots of sex and kissing.

High School Debut is a sweet romance manga.

Missile Happy! is a romance manga about a couple living together and engaged.

Absolute Boyfriend is another romance manga series.

Akuma De Sourou is an amazing romance manga.

Bokura ga Ita is great.

Paradise Kiss is good.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2010-07-25 at 13:22.
Old 2006-08-30, 11:56   Link #18
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

Well, what my old anime club used to do was that, every week, they would show two episodes of a popular anime to get people coming back. This was back in the day of video tapes fansubs, heh. Iirc, they used Ranma 1/2 and KOR and Marmalade Boy and stuff like that. People would make sure to show up so they wouldn't miss the serials. This was back before you could just download it yourself. If you show 2 episodes per week (meeting weekly) you could get through a 26 episode series in a semester. After that they would show the movie or 4 episodes of a show or whatever. Some good shows for something like this might be Haruhi or Nanoha (although some people don't like the first few episodes of Nanoha, don't know why... weirdoes heh).
Old 2006-08-31, 06:42   Link #19
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

But that club appears to be mainstream imo. Mainstream usually expects a full DVD to be shown and it sound like it is a majority dub site from this description.

Quote:

I recommended showing arcs or short titles because you don't have alot of time to get variety in the year. Stellvia is a rollercoaster ride, so the arc scenario works to Stellvia's advantage. Plus, if they don't like a title, it's a short run.

gamefreak124 additionally added on the requirement of not seen in 2 years which also implies not currently scheduled on cable (Adult Swim, AnimeonDemand, CoLours TV, IFC) or satellite (DiSH) in the poster's area.

Again, you really should look into the distributor sponsored programs. (Free is usually a good thing. )

Last edited by orion; 2006-08-31 at 06:56.
Old 2006-08-31, 07:26   Link #20
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
And if the club is full of girls, they'll love the relationships. Everyone loves FMP.

Unfortunately you should warn gamefreak124 about the length of this series. He put a limit of 15 episodes on any recommendations. This is 3 seasons and an OVA, for a total of 50 episodes. That's waaaay over the limit. Even just the first season is 24 episodes.
Of course, he could always just show them either fumoffu or TSR (If watching fansubs is viable) if there is indeed a need for short-length series. Although TSR has some references to season 1, it would definitely be suitable for the mentioned 'emo' kids who like watching action/mecha stuff.

And as all FMP fans know, fumoffu can basically be viewed stand-alone as there isn't any real plot (It is comedy, afterall) that would affect season 1 nor TSR.

And yes, Everybody loves FMP.
Closed Thread