AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

Old 2013-04-10, 21:57   Link #461
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Oh no its Water World the second coming but other then that it was a good first 2eps
Old 2013-04-10, 23:41   Link #462
suguru
京都 ikitai~

I loved the first two episodes so far, although with Butcher Gen involved I'm afraid it'll turn dark, and I hate dark anime, so I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment.

I have to wonder if the vaguely Native American-looking clothing Amy and some of the others wear is deliberate - Waterworld crossed with Dancing With Wolves? It wouldn't surprise me to see our protagonist make friends with the natives, only to have his compatriots from the Alliance easily wipe them out when they eventually arrive, in the name of the Greater Good of the war effort. He'd feel responsible since he activated the distress beacon - but I can hope we get a happier ending if he finds a way to fight them off.
suguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 00:42   Link #463
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeomni View Post
Then contrast that with the earth natives. They have AKs, MP5s and M16s! Must have had a well preserved 21st century armory underwater. I wonder if that's an attempt to make them relatable to us.
The AKs are understandable since they are one of the most easy to manufacture and maintain
Old 2013-04-11, 00:50   Link #464
Traece
:cool:

So, going back a bit to more first episode impressions:

I'm actually very intrigued by this one. At the end of the first episode I actually felt sad because it had ended on such an interesting note. I wont say that the story is vastly original in terms of the plot, but there are certainly a lot of good things that were done here. I really hope that this continues to be an intriguing show, and I hope that it takes advantage of what it has at its disposal.
Old 2013-04-11, 01:03   Link #465
Tsukiyomi
step closer to Amaterasu

someone's in trouble for vaporizing ppl...
Old 2013-04-11, 02:33   Link #466
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukiyomi View Post
someone's in trouble for vaporizing ppl...
He was just trying to make friends with them, but didn't realise he was in the wrong universe
Old 2013-04-11, 03:47   Link #467
Kireen
Uchuu Kaizoku

Well, i don't think that Chamber had other things aside from the vaporizing beams of doom aside form going melee on the ships, i guess that it was not exactly made with the idea of fighting other humans in mind.
Kireen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 04:22   Link #468
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kireen View Post
Well, i don't think that Chamber had other things aside from the vaporizing beams of doom aside form going melee on the ships, i guess that it was not exactly made with the idea of fighting other humans in mind.
I'm guessing it can control the intensity of the beams, since Red was able to use his pistol as a fine carving tool, but ofc could be different technologies....
Old 2013-04-11, 04:58   Link #469
Seiryuu

I think it's more a matter of unfamiliarity with the concept of restraint. When you've become highly accustomed to fighting an enemy where no level of firepower is truly sufficient and anything short of eradication will only get you killed, you become a little excessive. In his mind this wasn't overkill, it was minimal action to eliminate an enemy; he just forgot that his "enemy" on Earth is also human.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 05:23   Link #470
Tenzen12

I don't think he forgot, he just didn't care what spieces is his enemy from.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2013-04-11 at 05:33.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 05:59   Link #471
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
I think it's more a matter of unfamiliarity with the concept of restraint. When you've become highly accustomed to fighting an enemy where no level of firepower is truly sufficient and anything short of eradication will only get you killed, you become a little excessive. In his mind this wasn't overkill, it was minimal action to eliminate an enemy; he just forgot that his "enemy" on Earth is also human.
This is my take as well - he was thinking like a soldier who grew up in a battle to the death with an enemy that wanted nothing less than the extinction of his species. In his mind Ledo figured an enemy is an enemy, and in war there's no room for moderation.

That said, this will - and should - cause him some problems with the Gargantians.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 08:20   Link #472
Ridwan

So so beginning, but kinda reminds me of Xenogears so I'll try a few more episodes.
Old 2013-04-11, 10:59   Link #473
apsody243

I'm just wondering what the nature and how extencive those problems will be?

In a sence Red didn't do anything wrong, Amy asked him to use his "strength" to help her friends, which is exactly what he did.
No one specified how he should help he, mearly chose the most efficient method to deal with the situation while insuring the safety of the Gargantian's.

So I don't really see what kind of complaint they can make without sounding like ungreatfull duush bags.
apsody243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 11:19   Link #474
broken270
Defying gravity

There is a good chance that the reaction to the complete anniliation of the pirates is fear rather than praise. If Ledo can easily knock those guys out in a matter mintues, the same can easily happen to them. Amy would try to defend him, but her words may not be heard.
broken270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 11:33   Link #475
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Those pirates got the end that they deserved.

Now the fact that he has more power at his fingertips than everyone on Earth combined, will make for some interesting drama in future episodes.
Old 2013-04-11, 11:49   Link #476
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken270 View Post
There is a good chance that the reaction to the complete annihilation of the pirates is fear rather than praise. If Ledo can easily knock those guys out in a matter minutes, the same can easily happen to them. Amy would try to defend him, but her words may not be heard.
I was thrilled by the "destruction of mine enemies," but I worry that this will make Gargantia the target of other flotillas, or else shunned by them, making necessary trade impossible. Not to mention how it makes the Gargantians feel about Red. I'm sure Amy will continue to think Chamber (and Red) "sugoi," however. Good sci-fi plus actual romance: what more could I want?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 13:13   Link #477
Kirarakim

Btw is his name Red or Ledo. I am assuming it is Red but just want to double check.
Old 2013-04-11, 14:25   Link #478
Ghanw
(-_-)

It's could be both but the CR sub is using Ledo instead.
Ghanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 14:53   Link #479
ginger02

Ledo looks cooler so I'm going with that. Red might be his name, just the Japanese pronunciation of it.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 15:03   Link #480
bastek66

Ledo - レド
Red - レッド
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, mecha, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, urobuchi