Hal (movie by studio Wit)

http://hal-anime.com/
Director: Ryoutarou Makihara
Screenplay: Izumi Kizara
Music: Michiru Oshima
Original Character Design: Io Sakisaka
Character Design: Katsuhiko Kitada
Quote:
A man named Hal dies in a plane accident, and his girlfriend Kurumi loses the will to live. To open her heart and help her move on, a robot named Q01, designed to look and act like Hal, is sent to her house. Though reluctant at first, Kurumi slowly becomes fond of the robot Hal, as Robo Hal begins to uncover parts of Hal and Kurumi's past.
Old 2013-12-22, 23:56   Link #2
Makino

Fantastic movie. Was looking forward to watching this ever since I saw the trailer half a year ago. The movie didn't play out the way I thought It would and that's a good thing in its own right. Very few anime movies has actually managed to not go down the path of predictability in a good way.
Makino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-23, 06:55   Link #3
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Reasonable movie. It had some potent elements but I personally felt its emotional impact was weak and that for a short movie, some aspects were really rushed. Maybe another 15 minutes could have fleshed them out appropriately. Kurumi was one of the strengths of the movie, by far.

Nothing wrong with the concept but some elements, related to the source material, were a bit lacking.

Spoiler for The outcome:
Old 2013-12-23, 07:16   Link #4
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

I do agree that the emotional impact itself could've been bigger if they'd spent a bit more time on developing the characters, but I still enjoyed quite a bit. I'll spoiler this because I think this movie really must be seen without knowing anything about it, so, open at your own risk.

Spoiler:
Old 2013-12-23, 15:38   Link #5
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

So-so. I'm a romance fan but this movie were just not convincing enough. Can't say why but for me it was just average. Not bad but not great either. And the final twist was quite predictable.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-23, 17:56   Link #6
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This movie would have benefited from being longer. They didn't have enough time to spend on developing the characters (especially Hal) and their relationship, making the emotional impact low. We needed more flashbacks in order to fully understand how precious Hal and Kurumi were for each other. 1h30 would have perfect.

Spoiler for major spoiler:
Old 2013-12-26, 20:48   Link #7
kyouray
2D > 3D

I've just watched it and it turned out to be good. As people said here the movie would have been better if it was longer since the pace isn't really harmonious. I thought the beginning was slow whereas the end was a bit fast. However it still is well handled to be enjoyable. The story may be simple at first sight but it approachs some deep themes.

The movie is technically great with some great visuals. Animation is also nice & expressive thanks the good animators, I'm pleased to see Atsuko Nozaki as one of the animation directors. Hitomi Hasegawa is credited as accessory designer, I think she did a great job with fashion jewelry, ornaments and numerous various stuff which were eye-candy & cute.
Ryoutaro Makihara already showed his skills as animator and episode director but he did a good job for a first movie. I'm looking forward to his next movie since he desires to do more this kind of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
Spoiler for :
Spoiler for :
Old 2013-12-31, 22:23   Link #8
mpt37

Spoiler for story:
Old 2014-01-04, 21:04   Link #9
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpt37 View Post
Spoiler for story:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Goty; 2014-01-04 at 22:12.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, tragedy