AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-13, 15:55   Link #341
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I'd appreciate it if everyone would refrain from any novel spoilers in this thread. You can use the novel to discuss differences in material already shown in the anime, just not anything that could spoiler future events.

Thanks.
Old 2009-07-13, 16:07   Link #342
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

I really loved the second episode.
Spoiler for second episode opinion:

Edit: I meant opinion on the second episode; not my second opinion on an episode of undefined number... Sorry for misplacing my modifier!

Last edited by Goofus Maximus; 2009-07-13 at 23:20.
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 16:21   Link #343
Raiga
tl;dr

Oh yeah, dunno if anyone posted it yet (I've been following the topic and I don't think anyone has), but a couple days ago the supercell site posted the jacket art for the ED single.

Spoiler for Jacket art:

Just watched ep2 subbed. I can't get over what a cool guy Oshino is. His voice, laid-back mannerisms...

Last edited by Raiga; 2009-07-13 at 16:43.
Raiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 16:26   Link #344
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Just watched ep2 subbed. I can't get over what a cool guy Oshino is. His voice, laid-back mannerisms...
Sakurai Takahiro has a very laid back tone in his voice, which works great here for Oshino. Personally, i think Sakurai Takahiro is at his best in roles such as this.

& thanks a lot for the jacket art pictures. Looking forward to high quality versions.
Old 2009-07-13, 16:28   Link #345
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Personally, i think Sakurai Takahiro is at his best in roles such as this.
Seeing as this is what I remember him for, I have to agree.

-

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Bigger then average,
. .

Last edited by felix; 2009-07-13 at 17:13.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 17:21   Link #346
golthin

For christ sake, do anime makers want to make Japanese boys think that the way Araragi act is how a healthy teenager should act. I never would have felt embarrass for seeing a naked girl.

Last edited by golthin; 2009-07-13 at 17:53.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 17:28   Link #347
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
For christ sake, do anime makers want to make Japanese boys think that the way Aragi act is how a healthy teenager should act. I never would have felt embarrass for seeing a naked girl.
They do claim that he's doomed to be a virgin forever, so it's not like they're promoting this kind of behavior.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 17:29   Link #348
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
For christ sake, do anime makers want to make Japanese boys think that the way Aragi act is how a healthy teenager should act. I never would have felt embarrass for seeing a naked girl.
Maybe they're trying to show that Aragi is and hopefully a gentleman and seeing a naked girl goes against his principle. Well, at least he didn't get a nose bleed or drool all over her. On a side note, Hitagi seems rather confident over her body. I'm not saying it's bad though

-> I'm rather confuse on some part of this episode. I got the part on Hitagi's past but the whole crab part is .
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 17:34   Link #349
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
-> I'm rather confuse on some part of this episode. I got the part on Hitagi's past but the whole crab part is .
The crab is a manifestation of a god that removes people's burdens (which I think is a nice English way of keeping the pun). It took away her weight as a side effect of taking away her troubles/emotional reaction to her trauma. Presumably it appeared in response to a subconscious desire. In the end she asks the god to return them, and breaks down crying as her emotional reactions are given back as well. Pretty standard aesop about not running away from your problems.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 17:37   Link #350
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet nightmare View Post
anyone else figure out what the deal was with the sudden increase in weight to 100kg?
Well, Hitagi was missing 50kg before. Looks like our whimsical crab god had a sick sense of humor by giving not only Hitagi her weight back, but Araragi the same amount aswell. Alternatively, we can conclude that Hitagi was laying so much of a heavy-handed smackdown on Araragi that he gained as much weight (think about her alchemist-formula for her dissing *lol*)
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 17:39   Link #351
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Well, Hitagi was missing 50kg before. Looks like our whimsical crab god had a sick sense of humor by giving not only Hitagi her weight back, but Araragi the same amount aswell. Alternatively, we can conclude that Hitagi was laying so much of a heavy-handed smackdown on Araragi that he gained as much weight (think about her alchemist-formula for her dissing *lol*)
I was under the impression, from what Oshino said (about humans all looking the same to the gods and such), that it was more "carelessness" on the part of the god.
Old 2009-07-13, 19:19   Link #352
Jerseykid

I like as much romance as they can stuff into each episode
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 19:24   Link #353
wOoOzZy
Master Blaster

Looks like we might have a show here.
wOoOzZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 20:34   Link #354
DeadlySoldier37
The players president

Just saw episode 2, and I have to say that was a great episode. I enjoyed every part of it. It seems next episode we might move on to another girl but I do hope they keep Hitagi around she is a very good character in more ways than one.
DeadlySoldier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 23:09   Link #355
chickdigger802

Like this show, Hitagi fanservice ftw!!!!

Anyone else think that Araragi looks like a dark haired Ginko from Mushishi? Hopefully they can keep up the abstract art style, wonder if its gonna be 2 eps telling 1 story?
chickdigger802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 23:25   Link #356
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

And I'll reiterate once more. Novel spoilers are not allowed in this thread. I have no problems making this warning something more official if people cannot help themselves.
Old 2009-07-13, 23:36   Link #357
Raiga
tl;dr

On a somewhat tangent note, is it unusual for a boy to be named "Koyomi?" I know most Japanese names are gender ambiguous, but when I looked up "Koyomi" in a name database, every result returned was listed as a girl's given name.
Old 2009-07-13, 23:37   Link #358
Proudleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
The crab is a manifestation of a god that removes people's burdens (which I think is a nice English way of keeping the pun). It took away her weight as a side effect of taking away her troubles/emotional reaction to her trauma. Presumably it appeared in response to a subconscious desire. In the end she asks the god to return them, and breaks down crying as her emotional reactions are given back as well. Pretty standard aesop about not running away from your problems.
I'd say her catharsis is also a clear indication of the importance of emotional release. Perhaps I'm over-interpreting the images for symbolism, but a girl who surrounds herself with sharp school supplies while maintaining a somewhat weightless body seems like an intended contrast between insecurity (the weightlessness) and defensive affectations (the sharp school supplies). Thus the meaning could be extended to the classic "be true to yourself and others" moral.

Anyways, this series is a myriad of visually striking cuts and potently sharp dialogue. So yeah, I'm hooked.
Proudleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 23:56   Link #359
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
On a somewhat tangent note, is it unusual for a boy to be named "Koyomi?" I know most Japanese names are gender ambiguous, but when I looked up "Koyomi" in a name database, every result returned was listed as a girl's given name.
Very unusual, but it's one of NisiOisiN's wordplay. I think the kanji 暦 as a given name is rare enough. Don't know if this should be counted as spoilers (as it's a speculation) so:

Spoiler for Araragi family:
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 00:32   Link #360
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
This show is 90% dialog. If we didn't have Shaft doing crazy stuff, I'm sure people here would be complaining about the talking heads.
I'm one of those people who did NOT complain when Kyoani showed Yuki read a book for like 5 minutes straight in last season of Haruhi. So yeah, I can't speak for anyone else, but I definitely would rather have talking heads than what is Shaft is doing. Then again, I've never liked the way Shaft directs things (apart from Zetsubou Sensei where it actually fits), so I am heavily biased against them...
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, comedy, fantasy, romance, shaft, supernatural