Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2005-12-28, 22:52   Link #1
hakito
ecchi

Question Suggestions from Fruit Basket to Kenshin OVAs

Hi,
I wonder if you can suggest some interesting animes/mangas. So far, some of my favorites include (no special order)
  • Hajime no Ippo
  • Kenshin OVAs
  • Fruit Basket
  • Touch (should see Kimagure)
  • Karekano
  • Kodocha (should see Mermelade boy)
  • Yawara
  • FLCL
  • Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
What do these have in common? I really haven't think about it. Any suggestion will be appreciated (even more if it includes some comment)

An easy match would be some crazy comedies, such as FLCL, FMPF, Honey & Glover (haven't finished) or even Fruit Basket

edit: I'm thinking on getting School Rumble & Iketeru Futari, comments on these?

Thanks in advance
Old 2005-12-28, 23:45   Link #2
mit7059

well if you liked the kenshin ova then why not kenshin, watch the series its good, same goes for full metal panic, very good anime.
Now for the list of anime I love that everyone should watch ;-)
Hikaru no Go
Prince of Tennis*
Initial D
Suzuka*
Shuffle!*
Hunter x Hunter*
Bleach*
Naruto
Black Cat
Tsubasa Chronicle
DN Angel
FFVII Advent Children
Patlabor
Gundam SEED

hmmm...more will come to me later, but that should keep you busy for a while, all are excellent anime and I highly recoment all of them.
*indicates avaliblity on animesuki

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2005-12-29, 04:10   Link #3
hakito
ecchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059
well if you liked the kenshin ova then why not kenshin, watch the series its good, same goes for full metal panic, very good anime.
Actually I already saw Kenshin TV, I like it (but I prefer the OVAs) As for FMP, mechas ain't my cup of tea anymore (to much gundam's)
  • Hikaru no Go partially seen (while it wasn't licensed)
  • Prince of Tennis* it seems to be long, but... who cares anyway? I'll get it
  • Initial D tried once, don't really the like driving type, is it the plot any good?
  • Suzuka* have no idea, must check this one
  • Shuffle!* same case
  • Hunter x Hunter* seen (well... the OVAs, not the serie though)
  • Bleach* seing (both anime & manga)
  • Naruto seing...
  • Black Cat seing...
  • Tsubasa Chronicle seen
  • DN Angel seen
  • FFVII Advent Children seen
  • Patlabor have no clue about this one, must check
  • Gundam SEED that's definitly a no, but thanks anyway

Thanks for your time, if you feel like posting anything else you'll be welcome (again)
Old 2005-12-29, 04:47   Link #5
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Most have already been told (and I higly second Suzuka) but still I don't see..

Aishiteruze Baby .. heartwarming and very sweet romance comedy/drama. To me simply unforgettable.

Midori no Hibi.. combining hilariousness, ecchiness, comedy and romance in an excellent way.

These two are on top of my list, and I'm a FB, KnO and Karekano fan as well

You're about to watch School Rumble? Please go ahead, you shouldn't be disappointed by that
As for Iketeru Futari, it is particular, but very enjoyable as well.
Old 2005-12-29, 06:27   Link #6
Shingen

If you liked : Touch, KOR(Kimagure), Karekano, then go for the best anime in this category, which is Maison Ikkoku. It is also my favorite anime.
Slum Dunk - Even if you don't like basketball you will like this anime.
Cowboy Bebop
Fullmetal Alchemist
Great Teacher Onizuka
Future Boy Conan - old school(Miyazaki), but still one of the best out there.
Initial D
Witch Hunter Robin
Old 2005-12-29, 15:38   Link #7
hakito
ecchi

jedinat Anime:
  • Haibane Renmei partially seen, I guess I'll get it complete (though I don't remember what was the last thing I saw)
  • Full Moon wo Sagashite I've read something about this one, guess I'l try
  • Hellsing seen
  • Trigun seen (can't remeber if complete, though)

Manga:
  • Hana-Kimi looks interesting, kinda Strawberry eggs but the other way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier
Most have already been told (and I higly second Suzuka) but still I don't see..
Well that makes two votes for Suzuka, I shall see it.
  • Aishiteruze Baby I was seing this one, though I didn't finished (maybe it was licensed?), I gotta finish what I've started then
  • Midori no Hibi seen

Quote:
These two are on top of my list, and I'm a FB, KnO and Karekano fan as well
You got good taste then

Quote:
You're about to watch School Rumble? Please go ahead, you shouldn't be disappointed by that
As for Iketeru Futari, it is particular, but very enjoyable as well.
I've read good things about these two, so I better check them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingen
If you liked : Touch, KOR(Kimagure), Karekano, then go for the best anime in this category, which is Maison Ikkoku. It is also my favorite anime.
Ok then, I'll try that one as well (though I haven't seen KOR, I want to)
  • Slum Dunk seen (OVAs, didn't finish the series --another one I should finish)
  • Cowboy Bebop seen
  • Fullmetal Alchemist seen
  • Great Teacher Onizuka seen
  • Future Boy Conan seen (not complete, though)
  • Initial D I'm not really on races but I guess I may try this one (I wasn't on Go or Tennis either, and I liked HnG & PoT)
  • Witch Hunter Robin seen

Thanks to all of you for your time, I shall be occupied for a while whit your suggestions
Old 2005-12-29, 15:44   Link #8
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Princess Tutu. It has a similar feel to Fruits Basket, and the lady (RIP) that did the OP and ED to Fruits Basket did the OP and Ed to Princess Tutu (I think?)

Princess Tutu is more of the same thing, but more romance oriented than Fruits Basket. However, if you like the whole "animal transformation" aspect of Fruits Basket, then Princess Tutu shares a few similarities. Don't be put off because of the whole ballet thing, otherwise you'd be missing out on a great anime.
Old 2005-12-30, 19:49   Link #9
mit7059

in response to your question about the plot of Inital D, the plot is surprisingly good, dont be turned off by the first few episodes, some parts are tiring (the side stories) but the series gets progressivly better as it goes on, especially in the third and fourth stages where the animation gets better. Patlabor is old but very good, by the same directer as Ghost in the Shell, classic meca but doesnt really focus on the robots so much, much more on the pilots.

Old 2005-12-31, 01:13   Link #10
hakito
ecchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble
Princess Tutu is more of the same thing, but more romance oriented than Fruits Basket. However, if you like the whole "animal transformation" aspect of Fruits Basket, then Princess Tutu shares a few similarities. Don't be put off because of the whole ballet thing, otherwise you'd be missing out on a great anime.
I liked FB because it's rather fun but... there's no harm in trying a new anime (I think), and I'll take into account that comment about the ballet thing

Quote:
in response to your question about the plot of Inital D, the plot is surprisingly good, dont be turned off by the first few episodes, some parts are tiring (the side stories) but the series gets progressivly better as it goes on, especially in the third and fourth stages where the animation gets better. Patlabor is old but very good, by the same directer as Ghost in the Shell, classic meca but doesnt really focus on the robots so much, much more on the pilots.
Interesting, again I'll take into account the comment about the first episodes (maybe I should skip those?) As for Patlabor... I did actually see (The end of) Evangelion (and I really got confused then ), so I guess I can afford to check that one too.

Again, thanks for all your suggestions
Old 2005-12-31, 02:12   Link #11
jedinat

Quote:
Interesting, again I'll take into account the comment about the first episodes (maybe I should skip those?)
You can't really do that, lol. Anyways, I actually thought the first few were more interesting than latter episodes. (Him being the mysterious driver and all, not even realizing his skill. I need to have that type of thing to keep me interested, when it just focused on the racing and him being challenged by different drivers I was kind of bored.)
Old 2005-12-31, 10:30   Link #12
mit7059

the only part about Initial D that I didnt like was his bonehead friends, especially the parts that focus on them, parts of the first episodes are good, the parts that focus on Takumi but especially the episode where itsuki went on a date pissed me off, why should I care about itsuki's love life? On the whole you Inital D is very good though, you don't even need to know much about cars, hell I dont know shit, Ive learned more from this series that I think I knew before.

Old 2005-12-31, 15:28   Link #13
jedinat

Quote:
but especially the episode where itsuki went on a date pissed me off, why should I care about itsuki's love life?
That really annoyed me. They practically ignore the main romance and devote a whole episode to that idiot's.
Old 2005-12-31, 17:07   Link #14
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
That really annoyed me. They practically ignore the main romance and devote a whole episode to that idiot's.
Spoiler about 4th stage
Spoiler:

Old 2006-01-01, 20:06   Link #15
hakito
ecchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
You can't really do that, lol. Anyways, I actually thought the first few were more interesting than latter episodes. (Him being the mysterious driver and all, not even realizing his skill. I need to have that type of thing to keep me interested, when it just focused on the racing and him being challenged by different drivers I was kind of bored.)
Maybe it's just me, but I think that last (and long) comment should have been added as a spoiler

Quote:
On the whole you Inital D is very good though, you don't even need to know much about cars, hell I dont know shit, Ive learned more from this series that I think I knew before.
Well, I shall see it (for educational purposes only)
BTW, the image you added to your signature cut the quote (a new line should suffice)

Thanks both for your comments
Old 2006-01-02, 02:41   Link #16
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakito
Maybe it's just me, but I think that last (and long) comment should have been added as a spoiler
That was never a secret... you know he's the driver, the other characters in the show don't.
Closed Thread