Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-06-28, 02:06   Link #281
-Antares-
Nope.
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I think I was one of the few contributors to this thread, if any, who highlighted the discomfort in seeing Machi's social anxiety made a butt of jokes. It's disheartening therefore to see how terribly the issue was treated in the closing episodes of what was otherwise one of my favourites series of the season.
I saw it only in a comedic light and wasn't bothered by it... until the episode where she went to the mall with Yoshio. Something about the way it was portrayed there made it seem more "real" to me (and I have an anxiety disorder myself). Then it wasn't funny anymore. It just made me feel terrible for her. The part where she's trying to get people to try samples was really painful, too. I didn't weigh those scenes negatively against the show because I know that they probably are still amusing to people who don't know what that's like, but I really can't excuse the last two episodes. I can't imagine how anyone could find those funny. The tone seemed very different from the rest of the series, too. I don't understand what they were thinking at all.

You people don't actually talk to each other, do you? No way you could be this dysfunctional as a team and contradict each other if you did. Power trips not appreciated regardless.
-Antares- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-28, 10:50   Link #282
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
As someone who has had to care for a close family member who suffered from anxiety disorder, I can honestly say you don't have the first clue as to how easy it is for someone with the condition to succumb to a "psychological delusion", as you've put it.

The brain gets caught in a negative feedback loop. And the loop can be frustratingly self-reinforcing, so much so that it becomes impossible to untangle without medication and psychiatric counselling.

I think I was one of the few contributors to this thread, if any, who highlighted the discomfort in seeing Machi's social anxiety made a butt of jokes. It's disheartening therefore to see how terribly the issue was treated in the closing episodes of what was otherwise one of my favourites series of the season.
I'm sorry. I should have thought about that. I'm sure it's possible for a person to succumb to a delusion, and it is a very terrible thing when it happens. And I stand by that term because as I understand it the term refers to any case where one's psychological state results in them believing something that is demonstrably unreasonable given their knowledge and perception; for instance, seeing a crowd of people cheering and talking about how great that was and believing what she's seeing is a lynch crowd throwing actual rocks is delusional, and frankly borders on hallucination. My point was not that this cannot happen, or to make light of people who actually suffer from such things. It just seemed like the extremity of her imagination at some point was a little too severe. Again I'm sure there are people who suffer from such severe problems, but some aspects of her behavior in different situations made me wonder whether she was getting a little "help". If this was a drama or something, then I would be more inclined to believe this to be purely psychological. But instead this is a comedy, and thus I just find it a little more likely that the writers went for over-the-top and instead blew through the stratosphere into the WTF zone, resulting in a conclusion that pretty much is either a girl suffering from a severe psychological disorder or a girl who's been tortured by jealous gods that don't want to lose her even if it means breaking her completely.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-29, 16:33   Link #283
Pen3

This show fell short because i was expecting more of the first episode greatness. The funniest character was the little "sexual harassment" girl and they pretty much forgot about her after episode 1.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-29, 18:10   Link #284
Nirvash0

This was a trainwreck and the writers need to quit this job.

The original content was so damn bad and, worse, "very incompatible" with that "half canon manga" ending.
Nirvash0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-29, 23:23   Link #285
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvash0 View Post
This was a trainwreck and the writers need to quit this job.

The original content was so damn bad and, worse, "very incompatible" with that "half canon manga" ending.
Based on all above discussion, I see the original content of manga as black comedy. The anime copied it quite faithfully. When Machi says she gives up on going to a big city, Natsu takes out a recorder. It's shocking to see a beast who has human's negative emotion. The anime only takes a step further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
This show fell short because i was expecting more of the first episode greatness. The funniest character was the little "sexual harassment" girl and they pretty much forgot about her after episode 1.
The town hall clerk fills the gap.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-30, 20:42   Link #286
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Images
illegal swimsuit
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by mangatron; 2016-07-01 at 10:37. Reason: Added another scan
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-09, 02:14   Link #287
scififan

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy