AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-29, 03:26   Link #1
fsior

Something on par with Angel Beats!

Just finished watching Angel Beats! I was really moved I was by that series, maybe because I can relate with some of those stories. Hell if I was to die tomorrow that would probably be the place I'd end up myself. But anyways, I am looking for something with that much power and emotion behind it. So like Drama/Comedy/ and a little or more action.
Old 2012-04-29, 09:22   Link #2
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Ano hi mita hana no namae o bokutachi wa mada shiranai or simply Ano Hana: it's probably the most moving title i've ever seen, and i found it even more moving than Angel Beats, so you can't go wrong here. Also, even tho it's rich in drama, i didn't find it depressing but rather heartwarming. It contains some little comedy, but it's mainly focused on drama and romance. No matter how much i try to give you a synopsis of the story, it just appears depressing but it isn't like that, so i'll simply suggest you to watch it and find out yourself.
Old 2012-04-29, 09:34   Link #3
HasuMasu
*Artist

Seconding AnoHana--also, if you haven't seen any of them yet then Air, Kanon (2006), Clannad, and Clannad After Story will do.
Old 2012-04-29, 09:47   Link #4
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Besides the Key titles, I can also recommend Rumbling Hearts (one of the most tearjerking animes ever), H2O : Footprints in the Sand, True Tears and Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora. Now and There, Here and There is also welcomed, and even though it's really dated (it was released in 1999, even though it has modern character designs), it's much more moving than Angel Beats!.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-04-29, 09:56   Link #5
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ I haven't watched the other ones, but I definitely second Rumbling Hearts and Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora.
Old 2012-04-29, 10:02   Link #6
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Saikano and Grave of the Fireflies. Do eeeet.
Old 2012-04-29, 10:03   Link #7
HasuMasu
*Artist

I'll have to add 5cm/s, though it's a 3-part OVA series.
Old 2012-04-29, 10:36   Link #8
kitten320

Well from the same author: Air, Clannad and Kanon 2006.

I'm also thirding AnoHana.

You might want to try Bungaku Shoujo movie, though 3 OVAs would be a better start. You might want to miss 2nd OVA for now though and watch it after the movie.

Dennou Coil are sci-fi series with some action and good mix of comedy and drama. It gets more dramatic towards the end.

Not like Angel Beats but maybe you will like Ga-Rei Zero? Those are action series with more blood than in shounen but not too over the top. It has some nice comedy with later drama. First episode might get a WTF reaction but it is very different from the other 11 episodes so I recommend watching it further. All the confusion at the start will be answered later.

Great Teacher Onizuka are great series where you might find characters to whom you can relate. It has interesting cast and unique MC. It is about an ex-gangster who wants to become the best teacher in Japan. He is determined to help his students and their problems. Good mix of comedy and drama. Manga covers more material though. Students are dealing with a lot of problems be it family, friendship, bullying or etc. There is big chance that you might relate to someone.

Mai HiME are more action orientated series but have a mix of comedy and drama as well as some character depth.

Romeo x Juliet, well the title speaks for itself.

I know that some titles are not exactly as Angel Beats but they still have a mix of drama/comedy with some character depth so I consider them to be worth a try. They might get your interest in something else.

If you don't mind lack of comedy and something more serious, you should try Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin. It is about group of friends who meet in prison. Series deal with a lot of topics.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom are good drama/action series about people who were forced to become assassins.
Old 2012-04-29, 10:55   Link #9
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Kowarekake no Orgel - It's an one episode OAV about a young man who finds an abandoned robot girl and the short unforgettable summer that they spend together.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - It's about a girl named Madoka who lived a normal life until her encounter with a mysterious transfer student and a wish granting creature asking her to become a Magical Girl. Starts off heartwarming but the pain and tragedy picks up immediately after.
Old 2012-04-29, 11:28   Link #10
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Ano Hana being stressed by me as well.

Along with the other Key titles, Namely: Air, Kanon (2006), Clannad (Anime), Clannad After Story, you might want to keep an eye out for the upcoming Little Busters! Which is from the same writer that made all the above and Angel Beats!, so it's certainly something to keep an eye out for.

If you are looking for romance, comedy, and drama... you MIGHT be interested in something like School Days, but be prepared for a... tragic ending.

If you are merely looking for romance, comedy and a teeny bit of drama, The World God Only Knows (Subbed by Commie) could be for you.

Amagami SS also fits into the same category, it could fit you.

Yosuga no Sora (UTW) might also interest you, not to mention the other obvious ones as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Ore No Imouto (OreImo) falls into a Comedy/romance type of story if you are interested.

I'll surely have some more later, but I'm just saying off the top of my head.

Cheers;
Niker

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Old 2012-04-30, 00:15   Link #11
fsior

Started watching Ano Hana since that was the general suggestion. Into ep3 and already I have a pretty good idea what her wish is and how the series will end. But maybe I'll be suprised. Even so the story is very moving, and I have to agree this is a really good one. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 2012-04-30, 00:21   Link #12
raitouazura
Fallen God

Maybe you can try Myself;Yourselfand White Album

Next one will not miss
Old 2012-04-30, 00:25   Link #13
XGeneral2000

Ano Hana is a good one.

If you enjoyed Angel Beats, I cannot stress giving Clannad (+After Story) a try enough. It's a little long (~50 episodes over 2 seasons), but it is my favorite romance bar none. It's by the same author, but with much less time crunch.
Old 2012-04-30, 01:23   Link #14
HasuMasu
*Artist

Seconding Myself;Yourself, it's based on a VN just like the Key stuff.