Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-03-13, 02:52   Link #201
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptySoul
I wonder what bumped mushishi out of its timeslot.
Spoiler for Contents may sap your will to live:

aardvark and Snoop', thanks for the great news about the DVD re-release. I've pre-ordered the first two LEs, although how I'm going to pay for them is like the true nature of the Mushi: a mystery I have yet to fathom
Old 2006-03-13, 10:44   Link #202
Emil Scherbe

Episode 21-26

from official site

BS Fuji Schedule

Digest, May 7 25:00-25:30
Episode 21 綿胞子 Wataboushi, Cotton Spore, May 14 25:00-25:30
Episode 22 沖つ宮 Okitsumiya, Underwater Shrine, May 21 25:00-25:30
Episode 23 錆の鳴く声 Sabi no Naku Koe, Twitter of Rusts, May 28 25:00-25:30
Episode 24 篝野行 Kagarino Ko, Bound for Bonefire Field, Jun 4 25:00-25:30
Episode 25 眼福眼禍 Ganpuku Ganka, Fortune Eye and Misfortune Eye, Jun 11 25:00-25:30
Episode 26 草を踏む音 Kusa wo Fumu Oto, Sounds of Stepping on Grass, Jun 18 25:00-25:30

Last edited by Emil Scherbe; 2006-03-13 at 11:21.
Emil Scherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 12:28   Link #203
wao
OK.

Great, I'm glad they picked Wataboushi - that episode kind of creeped me out the first time I read it; I felt the images were quite effective.

Though I haven't actually heard of the last one. Perhaps it's in Volume 7, which I still haven't bought...
Old 2006-03-13, 19:14   Link #204
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky
I would like to defend for ep. 17 -- it is imo the best episode i have seen (for all 20.... i liked the last one myself anyhow). The metaphor is beautiful (two sisters and a pair of cacoons) the emotion is controlled and the pace of story is just about right (though some may not like the ending but I think it is a good contradiction to the idea of loss)
Just to comment on this, I thought the majority of ep 17 was the extremely high quality we've come to expect of Mushishi. My only problem was the ending itself. The idea was good, but the execution was not, as it was treated too much as an afterthought, and the build up, atmosphere, etc was lacking, so it sort of fell short of being all that it could have been, had they had the time to show the conclusion properly. Other than that (in a sense, minor) down point, the rest of that episode was great. But 12 and 5 are still my favourite episodes. I'm not afraid to admit it... I cried like a little girl at episode 12. And I'm not the kind of person who cries at poorly delivered melodrama or undeveloped characters.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 19:14   Link #205
Emil Scherbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Though I haven't actually heard of the last one. Perhaps it's in Volume 7, which I still haven't bought...
Volume 4, chapter 20.
Old 2006-03-13, 22:40   Link #206
Lost

Well just watched 17. This would rank as one of the saddest episodes for me. I cried when Aya cried in the cave. Just imagining that her sister was wandering this neverending maze was very sad, for 5 years, and knowing that was what Aya was thinking about when she cried...

As for the ending, I wouldnt say it was rushed. Nothing is ever rushed in Mushishi land. More like truncated. I would have liked to see their reunion, and find out more about Ito's state, whether she would regain her memory etc etc. On a happier note, we can say that Aya's not giving up on trying to send letters to Ito via the Mushishi's Uro-sans helped Ito to come home.

But great episode on the whole, no suprise. The musical theme for this ep was haunting, to say the least. And it was nice to finally see the Mushishis as an organization. We now know Ginko can call backup. EmptySoul, a question: several references were made to a "closed room" in your sub (eg, at 19:32). Could I clarify what was meant by the original Japanese words? What kind of a closed room were they referring to? A cave? Or just a room in a house?
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-14, 01:24   Link #207
wao
OK.

Emil Scherbe: Whoops you're right... I checked the books, it's there. Thanks. I guess I didn't remember that chapter very well...

I finally got around to watching episode 20, and you can really tell that there has been a lot of effort put into this (for now) final episode.

Seriously, what a wonderful episode.

Spoiler for Just to be Safe (tm):

Applause. A fitting "final" episode, it was extremely extremely well done and I am so very glad that this show was aired, even if it was 20 or 13 or 6.

Last edited by wao; 2006-03-15 at 02:04.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-14, 11:29   Link #208
Cal-Reflector

So I just finished watching episode 20... man, that was great stuff. Wao pretty much said it all... the detail in animation and art has visibly gone up from the already high standard that we've seen throughout the series:

Spoiler for remarks about episode 20:

Wao, might be good to place that excellent episode review in a spoiler tag just to be safe.

Last edited by Cal-Reflector; 2006-03-15 at 01:46.
Cal-Reflector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-15, 00:02   Link #209
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
Nah, he can't beat Quentin Compson. William Faulkner is a master writer as well ...
Haven't read him. I've only read about two dozen novels in my brief life so far, oh well. But I will consider reading your mention. Just to satisfy my curiousity, I searched for something akin to "greatest fictional characters" and discovered there is a listing of "100 Best Characters in Fiction since 1900s". Humbert Humbert stands at a very well deserved 3rd place. Holden Caulfield, a character I also appreciate and respect significantly (I'll never forget that final segment of The Catcher in the Rye, where Holden gazes in inexplicable happiness at his little sister Phoebe, spinning in the Merry go Around), located one above H.H. at number 2. Mr. Gatsby, also a character with immense sophistication, depth, and intrigue, sits at the top. Regardless, one's greatest fictional character is highly subjective, as it depends highly on themselves and their own personalities. Thus, my choice of H.H. as both a role model and my top fictional character reflects heavily of myself. Anyways, I don't want to derail this thread any further, as this is not the "Greatest Literary Character Thread".

Back to Mushishi. I saw episode 20 as well.
Spoiler for Comments of ep 20:

I could write my final thoughts right now, since Mushishi is episodic and by now we have a clear judgment of the show. But I'll save that until I've watched the whole show. Those final few episodes in starting in May may add more sustenance for me to consider.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-15, 02:14   Link #210
Cal-Reflector

Have rewatched the episode... for the third time, and am totally in love with it, particularly the final ending sequence.

Spoiler for Deep interpretation of episode 20 and suggestions:

Last edited by Cal-Reflector; 2006-03-15 at 02:35.
Cal-Reflector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-15, 07:15   Link #211
Emil Scherbe

landscape of episode 20

Akiyoshidai - a largest Karst topography in Japan
http://www.karusuto.com/gallery_contents.html
http://www.karusuto.com/gallery_img/...haru/haru3.jpg
http://www.karusuto.com/gallery_img/.../shuhodou1.jpg
Old 2006-03-15, 10:29   Link #212
Emil Scherbe

not to spoil your fun, I deleted a post about certain chapters in manga volume 7

Last edited by Emil Scherbe; 2006-03-15 at 10:40.
Old 2006-03-16, 03:12   Link #213
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
Spoiler:
Imagination within the limits and context of Mushishi, so it sounds like a plausible continuation. I just have a comment and suggestion about Tanyuu and Ginko. The relationship between Ginko and Tanyuu should be forever platonic. They should be companions in life in every sense possible. They're strongly bounded to each other but yet never tainted by romance, because they have made that choice subtlely, but yet each other knows without explicitly addressing the issue. That's how closely connected they should be. It's hard to explain, like a soul in two bodies. It's a kind of deep friendship I greatly envy and appreciate. This type of relationship can be developed slowly, but surely, and portrayed through their journeys and experiences. But I suppose it depends on how many fanfics/stories you are going to write. I just feel that this kind of relationship is worthy and fitting for Ginko and Tanyuu.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 03:43   Link #214
masuri

i would most definitely categorize mushishi as a more "surreal" type of anime (kind of like "my beautiful mari") apart from more traditional anime genres.

i just wanted to say that episode 17 is actually my favorite episode. the scene when ginko and aya go into the uroana, and the moment when aya realizes the hopelessness in finding her sister in particular by looking at the sheer vastness/hollowness of the cave. it broke my heart!

can you ever imagine being lost in a huge cave like that, forever? ... with no way out and all alone?

i think it was also a harsh way for ginko to communicate the reality of the situation to aya but seeing the uroana definitely made for an effect.

i read some earlier posts concerning the meaning of the OP ... and i just want to reiterate that i DO NOT think that the lyrics to ally kerr's "sore feet" have ANYTHING to do with ginko having a love interest/romance. to the contrary, i actually think the lyrics are referring to ginko's journeys ("walked a thousand miles to see you ... climbed up every hill to get to you ... wandered ancient lands to hold you") in seeking out the actual MUSHI themselves. ginko is a MUSHISHI and a wandering mushishi at that ... a lot of screentime throughout this series is dedicated to ginko's traveling whether it be him arriving or leaving. most of the time, his main action is to "find" the mushi. so in all, i think the title song makes for a great OP.

and lastly ... i kind of have a stupid question regarding episode 12. i didn't quite understand nui's explanation about the tokayami. i got the impression that by evidence of the fish and what happened to nui herself that they were destined to become tokoyami but does that mean ginko will share a similar fate? the whole naming yourself thing also just blew past me ...

otherwise ... gambatte!
masuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 19:07   Link #215
Cal-Reflector

How come I never realized this before?

The Sore Feet Song; it all makes sense now! Of course! The song is foreshadowing Tanyuu in episode 20! Get it, sore feet?

Okay, that was terrible and completely taken out of context and wouldn't hold up under any sort of scrutiny, but hey. *Shrugs*

Besides, it does add another layer to the... thousands of layers of complexity and meaning which one can perceive from Mushishi.
Old 2006-03-17, 06:36   Link #216
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Episode 18 felt very much like two separate stories... I thought the beginning was absorbing and well-paced, and even though it allowed so many years to fly by, it still did so with a very deliberate pace. Very much of the quality we expect from Mushishi... an absolutely fascinating short story.

However, it's with the introduction of Ginko (of all things... which is very strange, since Ginko's been nothing but a positive influence in every other episode) that I thought this episode started to go downhill... the way the story related to the mushi felt very forced, and I think the story could have almost been told with the mushi completely removed.

Two episodes in a row now with rather weak endings... I don't think it's quite enough to raise alarm, though, since the majority of both these episodes have been good. But I hope this isn't a warning sign that this series is starting to lose some steam.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 07:44   Link #217
wao
OK.

"But I hope this isn't a warning sign that this series is starting to lose some steam."

Nnnnnnaaaaaaahhh. Just you wait till ep 20. Unless Cal-Reflector, me and Muir Woods have freaky opinions or you for some reason end up not liking it (which I think shouldn't be the case, if you've enjoyed previous eps), you can be assured that the last episode certainly makes up for all of that.

Though I wonder how the story in 18 would have turned out if Ginko wasn't around, though.
Old 2006-03-17, 10:33   Link #218
EmptySoul
C1Anime

Actually I really didn't mind episode 18. I thought it was nice, but not as nice as previous episodes. But i do wonder how the guy's life would've turned out without Ginko around.
EmptySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 11:56   Link #219
questmark

Hi,
So, for those of you who really know your Mushishi-- now that we know the titles of episodes 21-26, do we know if any of them are "new" material, or if they're all from chapters of the manga? I'm just trying to get a sense of what the last 6 eps are going to be about, etc. ...in a general way.

Thanks.
questmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 17:48   Link #220
Emil Scherbe

Volume 1
緑の座 Midori no Za, The Green Seat, Ep1
柔らかい角 Yawarakai Tsuno, The Soft Horns, Ep3
枕小路 Makurano Kouji, The Pillow Lane, Ep4
瞼の光 Mabuta no Hikari, The Light in the Eyeshilds, Ep2
旅をする沼 Tabi wo Suru Numa, The Travelling Swamp, Ep5

Volume 2
やまねむる Yama Nemuru, The Mountain Sleeps, Ep11
筆の海 Fude no Umi, A Sea of Brushes, Ep20
露を吸う群 Tsuyu wo Suu Mure, The Herd that Inholes Drops, Ep6
雨が来る虹がたつ Ame ga Furu Niji Ga Tatsu, A Rain Falls A Rainbow Appears, Ep7
綿胞子 Wataboushi, The Cotton Spores, Ep21

Volume 3
錆の鳴く声 Sabi no Naku Koe, The Twitter of Rusts, Ep23
海境より Unasaka Yori, From The Sea Boarder, Ep8
重い実 Omoi Mi, The Heavy Seed, Ep9
硯に棲む白 Suzuri ni Sumu Shiro, The White that Inhabits in the Inkstone, Ep10
眇の魚 Sugame no Uo, The One Eyed Fish, Ep12

Volume 4
虚繭取 Uromayu Tori, The Hollow Cocoon Picker, Ep17
一夜橋 Hitoyo Bashi, The One Night Bridge, Ep13
春と嘯く Haru to Usobuku, Pretends as Spring, Ep15
籠のなか Kago no Naka, Inside of the Cage, Ep14
草を踏む音 Kusa wo Fumu Oto, Sounds of Stepping on Grasses, Ep26

Volume 5
沖つ宮 Okitsu Miya, The Underwater Shrine, Ep22
眼福眼禍 Ganpuku Ganka, The Fortune Eye the Misfortune Eye, Ep25
山抱く衣 Yama Daku Koromo, The Clothes that Embrace the Mountain, Ep18
篝野行 Kagarino Kou, The Bounds for Bonefire Fields, Ep24
暁の蛇 Akatsuki no Hebi, The Snake at Dawn, Ep16

Volume 6
天辺の糸 Tenpen no Ito, The String from the Top, Ep19
囀る貝 Saezuru Kai, The Chirping Shellfishes
夜を撫でる手 Yoru wo Naderu Te, The Hand that Strokes the Night
雪の下 Yuki no Shita, Under the Snow
野末の宴 Nozue no Utage, The Banquet of Outskirts of the Field

Volume 7
花惑い Hana Madoi, The Blossom Illusion
鏡が淵 Kagami ga Fuchi, The Abyss of the Mirror
雷の袂 Ikazuchi no Tamoto, At the Foot of Thunders
棘の道(前編) Odoro no Michi (Zenpen), The Path of Thorns (First Half)
棘の道(後編) Odoro no Michi (Kouhen), The Path of Thorns (Second Half)

Latest 2 chapters yet to be included in tankobon.

潮わく谷 Shio Waku Tani, The Valley that Has Tides
冬の底 Fuyu no Soko, Bottom of the Winter

Last edited by Emil Scherbe; 2006-03-24 at 07:14.

Tags
drama, historical, seinen, supernatural