Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
Spoiler for diplomatique:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
ep10
Spoiler:
Good question. I wondered that myself. Plot hole, maybe?

Episode 11 can't come fast enough. This is the first time I've found myself longing for Monday to come around again -_-
Old 2007-12-06, 20:37   Link #862
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli View Post

Episode 11 can't come fast enough. This is the first time I've found myself longing for Monday to come around again -_-
it might be a plot hole, but that would work. this series doesnt seem to have many plot holes at all.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 20:43   Link #863
scr
my sides are in orbit

it's magic nanomachine.
those really small microcomputer things that move molecules around, giving machines ability to heal themselves. they're reasonably fast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo
scary
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 20:52   Link #864
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
it might be a plot hole, but that would work. this series doesnt seem to have many plot holes at all.
True that could work...then one would ask why they would even need a crew at all. Blue seems to be sort of a one of a kind ship for some reason, almost as if it has some sort of sentience. It's kind of cool. I mean, what ship would be requested to monitor the brain wave patterns of its commander?! Tsubael, you peeping tom! *shakes fist*
Old 2007-12-06, 21:39   Link #865
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
True that could work...then one would ask why they would even need a crew at all. Blue seems to be sort of a one of a kind ship for some reason, almost as if it has some sort of sentience. It's kind of cool. I mean, what ship would be requested to monitor the brain wave patterns of its commander?! Tsubael, you peeping tom! *shakes fist*
maybe that happened because of the loss of the crew 5 years ago. having humans/arume in control is good but the computers are able to handle many tasks. i see the brain pattern monitor as a standard feature that solidifies the commanders authrity to the blue's cpu.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 22:02   Link #866
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The possible nanotech aspects of this show are a big plus for the science-fiction, in my opinion. The idea with nanomachines is that they would be on the order of the size of molecules or groups of molecules and they could build any material whatsoever from the molecules up.

The classic example, I think given by K. Eric Drexler, the father of this whole science, is that everyone might someday have in their kitchen a thing like a microwave with a funnel in the top. You would put in grass clippings and a bit of acetone and it would make you a steak dinner. Or it could make a pair of shoes, or a jacket, or a book, or maybe even a handheld computer. Not that any of this is anywhere near possible yet, but lots of very smart people are working to make it so.

If anyone's interested, here is Wikipedia's article on molecular nanotechnology (as this science is called). There is a debate over whether this stuff is possible even in principle, but I prefer to go with "yes" for now, lol.
Spoiler for ep10:
I love the way the commander and the AI ("artificial intelligence" = Blue) are connected. It hearkens back to the director's previous show, Yukikaze. Yukikaze was an AI fighter plane. It took orders from the pilot, but sometimes it had to just act on its own, because human reactions were too slow.

In Blue Drop, don't all the ships have AIs similar to Blue? This would make it possible for crews to be very small. They are just there to keep tabs on the AI, which would do most of the real work, using nanomachines and larger machines to build, maintain, and run the ship.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-12-06 at 22:12.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 22:18   Link #867
JediNight
キズランダム

For all the advanced technology the Arume have, the ship sure seems stupid at times. Somehow Azanael was able to plant a transmitter in Onomil's necklace, have an active beacon in her ship, and set explosives all over the ship, yet no alarms are ever flagged.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 22:21   Link #868
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The possible nanotech aspects of this show are a big plus for the science-fiction, in my opinion. The idea with nanomachines is that they would be on the order of the size of molecules or groups of molecules and they could build any material whatsoever from the molecules up.
You should see what they can do for biological applications. Dr. Scott Manalis with MIT's Media Lab is doing some awe-inspiring reseach using nanoscale sensing. You have got to read this guy's work. I started fangirling him several years ago when I found his work as a reference for my senior thesis. Thanks for that article, btw (Richard Feynman...now there's a name I've not seen in a long time). I'm definitely going to check that out.
Quote:
In Blue Drop, don't all the ships have AIs similar to Blue? This would make it possible for crews to be very small. They are just there to keep tabs on the AI, which would do most of the real work, using nanomachines and larger machines to build, maintain, and run the ship.
I'm not sure if all of the ships in the anime are like Blue. I went back over the eps and couldn't find any type of interaction between, say, the Master Commander's ship and Blue. Azanael seem to treat Blue as sort of a new thing so....*shrug* I have no idea. It was just a speculation about Blue's seeming consciousness. Blue seems to anticipate Ekaril's needs and monitors her well-being and I found that intriguing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
For all the advanced technology the Arume have, the ship sure seems stupid at times. Somehow Azanael was able to plant a transmitter in Onomil's necklace, have an active beacon in her ship, and set explosives all over the ship, yet no alarms are ever flagged.
Hmm, I would assume Blue would have self-destruction technology (like Voyager or the Enterprise) in case it was ever seized by the enemy. Azanael may have simply activated that technology since she IS a Bridge Officer on her own vessel. She would have access to those codes, I'd imagine.
Old 2007-12-07, 01:21   Link #869
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Since no sub for ep10 is out, I think we should be careful to put everything from there in spoilers.
Spoiler for ep10:
I can't find it easily right now, but I felt sure there was a scene on another ship, with a different AI voice, early in the series. However, from the way Blue was able to deal with the attacks earlier, I think Blue may have some special capabilities. By "Blue" I'm not sure if I mean the ship or the AI.

And thanks for the links to Scott Manalis's work, Kieli. I'm sure that the biological applications of nanotech will produce amazing things long before we get real molecular nanotech with "assemblers" (the little nanomachines that can build things). I think Blue already has for Hagino what he says is his ultimate goal: "...an instantaneous readout of a multi-dimensional parameter space..." of things going on in the body.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 04:13   Link #870
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Please understand that I'm not trying to lord the manga over anyone or discourage speculation. It's just that it's no fun for me when people are marching along a tangent that I know is inconsistent with the manga

I was initially pretty convinced that the woman in episode 1 was Mari, but I'm also beginning to think it's probably Micchi. Her facial structure seems closer to Mari's as well as her mannerisms.

I would venture that, rather than being a plothole, the seeming lack of a crew on the Blue is due to the advanced AI and the repairs are accomplished by nanomachines. Remember that the Blue was essentially a troop transport, so a skeleton crew isn't unlikely.

Spoiler for 10:

Last edited by FatPianoBoy; 2007-12-07 at 05:07.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 05:24   Link #871
foux

blue drop anime is different from manga...dont mix them together too much :P. It's been said many times allready. Some quotes about anime:
"Both manga series are set after the war while the anime is set before." "After a year and a half of planning, Asahi Production and BeSTACK produced the Blue Drop: Tenshitachi no Gikyoku anime series."

Theres no story consistency with manga, exept what happens after blue drop anime. Story was written especially for anime, theres no manga for that...so everything is possible. Or am i wrong?
foux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 05:42   Link #872
Dark Wing

Quote:

I thought it was already establised that the entire crew was killed during the accident?...
Old 2007-12-07, 06:18   Link #873
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by foux View Post
Theres no story consistency with manga, exept what happens after blue drop anime. Story was written especially for anime, theres no manga for that...so everything is possible. Or am i wrong?
No direct story consistency, but the universe and it's conventions would remain the same since they're confirmed by the author to be in the same timeline. For example, if Arume with black hair can exist in the manga, then the same holds true for the anime.
Spoiler for 10:

I've lost count of how many times I've had to make that post...

@ Dark Wing: the entire invasion force was. The only member of the crew mentioned KIA was Onomil. If there was anyone else on the Blue besides those three on the bridge and the invasion force, everyone is pretending they didn't exist.
Old 2007-12-07, 06:57   Link #874
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
No direct story consistency, but the universe and it's conventions would remain the same since they're confirmed by the author to be in the same timeline. For example, if Arume with black hair can exist in the manga, then the same holds true for the anime.
Spoiler for 10:

Ookayy....but it was, and still is, always possible for the anime to introduce or explain things from the manga that are already taken for granted. Hagino didn't have to have dark hair like Yui from the manga, she could have had other traits. You're assuming that things from the manga had to be in the anime and that the anime must follow all of the conventions from the manga. Since the anime is a prequel, speculations about what could have happened prior to the manga are not inconsistent, within reason. For example, speculations about hair colour differences could very well have been explained within the anime in order to bolster what one already knows to be true in the manga. The manga doesn't specifically state why the hair colour difference exists so I don't see where the inconsistency lies. It's not a question of what exists in the manga (well not for me since I've already read the very first volume and know at least one half of the universe) of the how and why that the manga may not explain fully.
Quote:
What? Reposting isn't fun? Maybe if you repost it enough you might convince us that you're right and that we're clearly wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by for Kaoru
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Kieli; 2007-12-07 at 07:16.
Kieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 07:31   Link #875
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not talking about new information, I'm talking about things that have already been established, like the differences in hair color. It has been established that dark hair can be attributed to both pure Arume and those of mixed parentage, meaning that you cannot make assumptions about someone's lineage from that alone. It has been established that the Arume will invade and will win, and it will not be pretty. Now, how the war transpires exactly is still up in the air, and the anime may choose to cover some of that, but the outcome will remain the same. If there is a genetic oddity that causes dark hair in Arume, that may be explained, but there will still be both pure and mixed Arume with dark hair. I'm eager for any explanations from the anime that aren't covered in the manga
Foux's post, as I understood it, was saying that what is true for the manga is not necessarily true for the anime, which is simply not the case because the two have the same continuity. Both may introduce new information at any time, but that information will not conflict and will stand as canon for both mediums, as they tell the same story in the same universe at different points in time. I feel like this is what people aren't understanding for some reason.
Old 2007-12-07, 10:00   Link #876
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
SO its pretty much established that the Arume fuck up earth for like all time?
Old 2007-12-07, 10:33   Link #877
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
SO its pretty much established that the Arume fuck up earth for like all time?
Not matter what happens in between, the end result is the same for this world...

Aliens will have new toys to play with

On the subject of black hair...is it actually very rare for an arume to have black hair? master commander might have taken a liking to hagino because of that

Quite hard to find arts for this series but I tried ;_;

Spoiler:

and this

Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS

Last edited by Deathkillz; 2007-12-07 at 11:14.
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 10:48   Link #878
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

If
Spoiler for manga stuffs:
then yes, they screwed it up pretty thoroughly. And that's not getting into what they did to human society.

Rofl at Kenzo enjoying Ekaril strangling her
Old 2007-12-07, 11:45   Link #879
JediNight
キズランダム

About those manga spoilers:
Spoiler:
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 12:21   Link #880
AnimeJock
AnimeJock

Send a message via AIM to AnimeJock
This may sound like a redundent question, but I don't want to read too much. I stopped on episode 1-9 last night. The website I saw it on only went that far. Again, please forgive me if it's been asked, but was 10 subbed yet?
AnimeJock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, sci-fi, shounen, yuri