AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-05-07, 18:13   Link #1
Slayerx

Cross edge - what happens when RPG's developers collide

Sorry, if there's already a thread on this that i didn't find but...
http://www.rpgland.com/content/?p=4755

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGland
In what sounds like a sort of spiritual sequel to Namco X Capcom, the two named companies as well as new friends Gust, Nippon Ichi, and Idea Factory will be joining forces to create Cross Edge for PS3. Compile Heart will be handling development.

The story takes place in a world which stays alive by eating the souls of other worlds, which eventually destroys them. It’s the Wal-Mart of worlds.

Two main areas in the game include the underworld and the dream world. The former is populated by characters from Capcom’s Darkstalkers series and Nippon Ichi’s Disgaea, perhaps among others, while the latter’s citizens are comprised of characters from Gust franchises such as Ar Tonelico and Atelier Marie.

In battle, the player is given a certain amount of Action Points, which set the limit as to how much action the player can take. Not much is yet known about exactly how it will work.

Currently projected to arrive in Japan this September, expect more characters to be revealed gradually, as well as a few more notes about the actual gameplay.
Spoiler for Scans:

I usually don't think much of crossovers...
but this is just made of pure win...
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 21:30   Link #2
Aka
Green Trees
*Artist

I liked their first two Megazone 23: Aoi Garland & Record Agarest of War and this one looks like Compile Heart actually learned a few more tricks - is that the open world I see in one of the images? If so then damn it's bit similar to Agarest - they had enough time to play with the PlayStation 3, this better be 500x better! ): <
Aka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 22:59   Link #3
Elvin

wow... never expected the ar tonelico ladies to be in a crossover. Guess it was a lot more popular in Japan than here.
Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 23:48   Link #4
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Should have been on the PS2. It doesn't look like there's anything in this game the old workhorse can't handle.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 00:00   Link #5
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Namco X Capcom was a bored fest of repetitive battles. I don't expect this to be anything less.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 02:01   Link #6
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin View Post
wow... never expected the ar tonelico ladies to be in a crossover. Guess it was a lot more popular in Japan than here.
Ar Tonelico as a series is quite popular in Japan...not a blockbuster hit like the AAA games, but still fares very well...AT2 sold 78k in its first week...which is about the same as Valkyria Chronicles which was marketted heavily in Japan.

In a poll by Dengeki, Ar Tonelico 2 (sequel) was ranked #8 in 2007 for the most enjoyable game, so it's really no surprise that AT1 be included...Shurelia's still quite popular and made an appearance in AT2...I'm hoping they also include Mule/Jakuri in this game as well lol.
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 02:06   Link #7
Narumi
*Fansubber

Looks interesting, but I worry about Compile Heart...
Old 2008-05-08, 02:11   Link #8
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narumi View Post
Looks interesting, but I worry about Compile Heart...
It's the Agarest team from CH that's working on this title, which was a very good SRPG with a LOT of replay value (I put in about 400+ hrs....over 100 hours was pretty common reading on 2ch and other JPN forums) so I don't think they'll butcher it as bad as most are expecting them to.
Old 2008-05-08, 02:19   Link #9
Rayneing
Trombe!

This is a really bad idea and I hope that the reason why is obvious.
Rayneing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 03:23   Link #10
Niu
YOU FACTORING HECTOPASCAL

So the influence of Netherworld advanced into this forum.
And Compileheart at last reveal its true color, it is indeed the conspiracy house between Netherworld/Gust/N1. Thinking about it, Netherworld has been plotting for things like this ever since the diary trade event.
That's see what would be become of this... crappy coding and load time? Or another impossible grind fest? Or a total disaster like Chaos War?
Niu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 09:19   Link #11
Kresnik
Anti-Hero

Too many cooks will spoil the broth. I guess that proverb might prove to be true in this case too. But even if it turns out great, I think it's hard for the game to see the horizon of earth's other hemisphere.
Kresnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 13:03   Link #12
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niu View Post
So the influence of Netherworld advanced into this forum.
And Compileheart at last reveal its true color, it is indeed the conspiracy house between Netherworld/Gust/N1. Thinking about it, Netherworld has been plotting for things like this ever since the diary trade event.
That's see what would be become of this... crappy coding and load time? Or another impossible grind fest? Or a total disaster like Chaos War?
By impossible grind fest your referring to Nippon Ichi's games right?
Old 2008-05-08, 16:32   Link #13
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
Ar Tonelico as a series is quite popular in Japan...not a blockbuster hit like the AAA games, but still fares very well...AT2 sold 78k in its first week...which is about the same as Valkyria Chronicles which was marketted heavily in Japan.
To be fair that isn't a great comparison, seen as AT2 is on the PS2, which has far more users than Valkyria, which is on the PS3. The latter would probably have sold a fair bit more if the PS3 had a wider, more established userbase. Still, it's quality, well publicised games like Valkyria that'll develop that userbase.

Definitely be buying this. The battle system screenshot suggests it's taking elements from Ar Tonelico 2's battle system, which I absolutely love, and there's enough characters that I like to warrant a bit of excitement. So long as it's fun I'll be very satisfied, even if it's not the best game ever or anything like that.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-08, 21:29   Link #14
Rias

I'm wondering which company is actually developing the game...also, isn't it just a double up with Gust? They put Ar Tonelico under BanNam, but that's only becuase BanNam owns Banpestro, who published Ar Tonelico.
Old 2008-05-09, 00:08   Link #15
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
I'm wondering which company is actually developing the game...
Compile Heart's Agarest team is leading the development
Old 2008-05-09, 00:59   Link #16
Niu
YOU FACTORING HECTOPASCAL

While using Gust's engine.
There well be two possibility.
1. Gust's game engine manages to desuck the Netherworld and things work out.
2. Netherworld turns the Gust engine into another abomination of nature and pulls Gust into a world of sucktitude as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
By impossible grind fest your referring to Nippon Ichi's games right?
Both N1 and Netherworld. They both have different ways of doing this.
Niu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 14:40   Link #17
mandarb916

For the 5 people that care..

OP Song - "Blade of Tears" by Shimotsuki Haruka
Old 2008-09-03, 22:47   Link #18
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

There we are, the first trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39539.html
Old 2008-09-04, 03:23   Link #19
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
There we are, the first trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39539.html
I like how SRW Z on the bloody PS2, a bloody 8 year old system has larger more detailed sprites and animation then Cross Edge for the bleeding edge Playstation 3. Compile Heart? Hello! Anyone working in there? Hell the sprites looks less detailed then the ones that appeared in the actual respective game series there. They might as well have just ripped them from those games and saved themselves the embarassment.

This should have been a PSP game. The sprites look scaled to fit that screen size more then they do for a PS3 game. I can't even imagine looking at this on my 54".

Same day release though. We'll see what reigns supreme in Japan among Otaku, 20+ mecha anime series crossover with lush detailed sprites or 5 game franchise mostly moe girl characters crossover with uninspired sprites. It's going to be a Barn Burner!

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2008-09-04 at 03:34.
Old 2008-09-04, 07:30   Link #20
Elvin

PS3? ;-;
The graphics in the trailer looked the same as N1's Soul Nomad, +1.
That's a huge line between whether I get it or not
Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote