AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-05-08, 22:13   Link #521
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbone View Post
Moral apostels. For christ sake just no, they all should just go die in a fire. They feel the absolute need to help other people they have never seen before in their life just because they have a troubled look on their face. They meddle in their life and usually make things 5 times worse then they were before meeting the 'final villain' and scream at him who he/she could do something so morally wrong. Okazaki Tomoya (Clannad) is an excellent example, Ichigo (Bleach) is another. What's more annoying is when they don't claim to know the answers. And i really hate those 'Holier than Thou' characters who almost 'always right' and will 'convert' you to their ways because they are right.
Quoted for truth. It's like these self-proclaimed heroes have their own religion or something. If you follow my doctrine, good. If not, you are a vicious and vile person who must be struck down by the sword of justice and love. Either this, or it's a new type of drug that exists only in animes that cause one the urge to help. You know, it does make you wonder where do those morally upright heroes draw the line in their eternal quest of "bringing light to the world" and restoring the smiles of helpless moes. Usually, they will barge into situations uninvited, and then later in the animes/mangas they will begin to question their intentions (more like whining) when things don't go their way. After going through a period of angsting, these heroes will once more walk the Earth - this time more deadly than ever, with the intention of exterminating perceived baddies who threaten world peace, or worse, a damsel's happiness. Talk about being fickle-minded.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help

Last edited by MUAHAHAHAHAHA; 2013-05-08 at 22:25.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-08, 22:34   Link #522
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
Quoted for truth. It's like these self-proclaimed heroes have their own religion or something. If you follow my doctrine, good. If not, you are a vicious and vile person who must be struck down by the sword of justice and love.

If the villain "isn't following the hero's doctrine" like...oh, I don't know, BY KILLING INNOCENT PEOPLE.....I fail to see why this is a bad/annoying thing.

Why shouldn't characters try to stop others from doing evil!? Evil isn't a matter of opinion here. It's regarded as wrong to kill, wrong to steal, wrong to make others suffer, etc. They don't have their "own religion". They are following the basic morals of humanity.

They won't have all the answers right away (that turns them into a Mary-Sue). But the point is, they are trying to do good.

Far better role models for kids than selfish and apathetic characters who sit back while terrible things happen and go "...not my problem!"

Last edited by Chiibi; 2013-05-08 at 22:46.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-08, 23:33   Link #523
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
Quoted for truth. It's like these self-proclaimed heroes have their own religion or something. If you follow my doctrine, good. If not, you are a vicious and vile person who must be struck down by the sword of justice and love. Either this, or it's a new type of drug that exists only in animes that cause one the urge to help. You know, it does make you wonder where do those morally upright heroes draw the line in their eternal quest of "bringing light to the world" and restoring the smiles of helpless moes. Usually, they will barge into situations uninvited, and then later in the animes/mangas they will begin to question their intentions (more like whining) when things don't go their way. After going through a period of angsting, these heroes will once more walk the Earth - this time more deadly than ever, with the intention of exterminating perceived baddies who threaten world peace, or worse, a damsel's happiness. Talk about being fickle-minded.
Like Chiibi said, it doesn’t help your argument if the altruistic character’s meddling hardly bring any damage to anyone involved (like what Tomoya did) or that the people they are fighting are mass-murderers (like when Ichigo fighting Aizen). Not to mention that things tend to get better after their “meddling” and the people they helped are really grateful for them being there. Also, characters like Ichigo never proclaim themselves as heroes. They just wanted to help. Mostly, it’s the authors who made them into heroes.

And I can hardly recall any of these “heroes” exterminating their foes just for the happiness of a girl. Most of the time, the villains got exterminated because they have devilish plan that will hurt (a lot of) innocent people too. That’s why the “heroes” took them down.

As ridiculous as Emiya Shiro’s altruism get, when he’s fighting Caster, a wizard who use her magic to absorb mana/prana from a lot of innocent people to their death, I can hardly protest when he wanted to stop her and maybe smack some sense into her in the process.
Old 2013-05-11, 17:46   Link #524
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

When the villain reveals what he is going to the hero, maybe I find this annoying due to I feel like the villain should attack the hero out of no where instead of being blunt on what he is going to do to the hero.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 18:02   Link #525
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichuki View Post
When the villain reveals what he is going to the hero, maybe I find this annoying due to I feel like the villain should attack the hero out of no where instead of being blunt on what he is going to do to the hero.
Totally agree.

Telling your enemy what you're going to do to them in excruciating detail is just plain stupid.
Old 2013-05-11, 18:25   Link #526
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

What I dislike is emotional outbursts from the Main Character when something goes wrong. I feel like almost every action and adventure protagonist does this. Sure, it adds a lot of drama element to the story, but it always make me say, are these characters immature brats? Don't get me wrong, I feel that the main character should have a reaction towards things that go wrong, but I feel like the childish emotional outbursts isn't the way to go. I feel like there should be more stern reaction or a monologue in the main characters' head calming having his reaction and smartly thinking of ways to fix the problem.

If such cases, it alright because it fits the Protagonists' personality such as One Piece with Luffy whose personality is child like so its okay in that instance since it made sense like during the time when going to the New World then Nami saying to cut off the fish attached to the ship.

Another exception is that it depends on the problem that the main character face, if its big enough where its believable for anyone to lose their cool and perform an emotional outburst than that is okay. Such as Kaze no Stigma with Kazuma when he was speechless of Tsui Ling revival.

Last exception is when its a comedy where the emotional outbursts serves to make the viewers laugh and is an important aspect of the story like Beelzebub when Oga Tatsumi utterly shock beyond reason when Hilda's memories were lost and she taken the persona of being his wife.

Other than that, that cliche is really getting old.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 20:51   Link #527
Megrim27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichuki View Post
Thank you! 5 minute power expositions are just so painfully tedious. They almost last as long as the fight itself.

For my own -

Cliche: Boy and Girl who knew or met when they were 6, and after being separated for the next 10 years, he/she still holds a candle for the other.

Worst offenders: Shuffle!
Megrim27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 17:19   Link #528
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megrim27 View Post
Thank you! 5 minute power expositions are just so painfully tedious. They almost last as long as the fight itself.

For my own -

Cliche: Boy and Girl who knew or met when they were 6, and after being separated for the next 10 years, he/she still holds a candle for the other.

Worst offenders: Shuffle!
I can live with one still having feelings for the other, but I draw the line when the girls asked the guy to marry her when they were children, and then comes back to hold him on it when they meet again a decade later.

Heaven forbid the guy changing his mind. And he'd better not have forgotten about it (or her), or there will be hell to pay.
Old 2013-05-12, 21:14   Link #529
NK_500
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyocol View Post
Overly obsessive fanboys/fangirls.
I think I can agree with you. Probably the biggest offender is Slam Dunk where you have armies of fangirls worshipping one guy. I knew it was played for comedy but it does gave me a bad view towards fanboyism/fangirlism.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 21:41   Link #530
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
I can live with one still having feelings for the other, but I draw the line when the girls asked the guy to marry her when they were children, and then comes back to hold him on it when they meet again a decade later.

Heaven forbid the guy changing his mind. And he'd better not have forgotten about it (or her), or there will be hell to pay.
That really annoys me too....people's feelings normally change as they grow older.

If not.......it's like....one of them never grew up or something....>_>
Old 2013-05-13, 02:21   Link #531
Dwalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megrim27 View Post
What's wrong with that? Does the age in which they fell in love matter so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
That really annoys me too....people's feelings normally change as they grow older.

If not.......it's like....one of them never grew up or something....>_>
In this particular aspect not growing up is a good thing. I can understand changing partners when there is no other choice, but doing it just to show you have "grown up" is plain illogical. To me, it's often the proof of the contrary.

It's understandable when people dislike specific childhood friend pairings, but if they dismiss the genre as a whole, without exceptions, that really makes me depressed

Last edited by Dwalin; 2013-05-13 at 02:35.
Dwalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 03:24   Link #532
Shyni

People change over time. Stuff like your habits, tastes and beliefs aren't static. Sometimes, that means two people who used to make a great couple are no longer very suited for each other, and both of them realize that.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 10:04   Link #533
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
People change over time. Stuff like your habits, tastes and beliefs aren't static. Sometimes, that means two people who used to make a great couple are no longer very suited for each other, and both of them realize that.
This.

Plus imagine how many new people you would meet in those 10 years you are separated from your little friend..
10 years is a REALLY long time...and you're gonna tell me you're going to turn down every single person who asks you out because you still like your six-year-old friend!?

People don't do this.

Quote:
I can understand changing partners when there is no other choice, but doing it just to show you have "grown up" is plain illogical.
People don't do it to "show" they have grown up. They do it because they develop feelings for other people in that time gap. It's not like they choose to do it. It happens naturally over time.

Now, if the parents decided to engage the children at a young age, THAT is a lot more believable. Because it would have "grounds" to it, and not the type of grounds that are easy to back out of like "oh, we were really young and I forgot" type of grounds. If the child grows up knowing he/she has a fiancee, that would keep him/her from dating other people....as long as they are the loyal type. Match-making is a tricky thing. I'm kind of divided on it. If the characters are teenagers, they should be permitted to marry on their own decision...but if they're really young and are on good terms with their would-be-fiancee....I guess it's okay.....?

Spoiler for "Sumomomomo momomo example:

Last edited by Chiibi; 2013-05-13 at 10:25.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 10:17   Link #534
Dwalin

Quote:
This.

Plus imagine how many new people you would meet in those 10 years you are separated from your little friend..
10 years is a REALLY long time...and you're gonna tell me you're going to turn down every single person who asks you out because you still like your six-year-old friend!?

People don't do this.

People don't do it to "show" they have grown up. They do it because they develop feelings for other people in that time gap. It's not like they choose to do it. It happens naturally over time.
I understand, but it's one thing to just say it's "natural", another thing is to say it's "good". "Natural" things aren't necessarily "good" things.
And yes, if I fell in love when I was little, I would have turned down everybody else no matter what.

Quote:
Match-making is a tricky thing. I'm kind of divided on it. If the characters are teenagers, they should be permitted to marry on their own decision...but if they're really young and are on good terms with their would-be-fiancee....I guess it's okay.....?
I am not sure. I think it's not really wise to engage them without them agreeing because children may develop a brother-sister like bond, not a romantic one. They may start feeling it's like incest.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-05-13 at 14:19.
Old 2013-05-13, 11:24   Link #535
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalin View Post
I understand, but it's one thing to just say it's "natural", another thing is to say it's "good". "Natural" things aren't necessarily "good" things.
And yes, if I fell in love when I was little, I would have turned down everybody else no matter what.
So, did you?

In either case, even if you did, doesn't mean everyone should stick to their old flame, especially when they can't be sure they'll eventually see each other again.
Old 2013-05-13, 11:54   Link #536
Dwalin

Quote:
So, did you?
I refuse to answer this question without my lawyer present
Seriously, I never had the occasion to be tested on that matter as I never fell in love as a child.
Quote:
In either case, even if you did, doesn't mean everyone should stick to their old flame, especially when they can't be sure they'll eventually see each other again.
I understand. What I find sad is that some people think that, if THEY didn't stick to their childhood love, then those who did are retarded or immature.
Old 2013-05-13, 13:33   Link #537
Shyni

Quote:
I refuse to answer this question without my lawyer present
Seriously, I never had the occasion to be tested on that matter as I never fell in love as a child.
Have you fallen in love any time later, though?
Quote:
I understand. What I find sad is that some people think that, if THEY didn't stick to their childhood love, then those who did are retarded or immature.
I don't think anyone here was suggesting that.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 13:48   Link #538
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:

If the villain "isn't following the hero's doctrine" like...oh, I don't know, BY KILLING INNOCENT PEOPLE.....I fail to see why this is a bad/annoying thing.

Why shouldn't characters try to stop others from doing evil!? Evil isn't a matter of opinion here. It's regarded as wrong to kill, wrong to steal, wrong to make others suffer, etc. They don't have their "own religion". They are following the basic morals of humanity.

They won't have all the answers right away (that turns them into a Mary-Sue). But the point is, they are trying to do good.

Far better role models for kids than selfish and apathetic characters who sit back while terrible things happen and go "...not my problem!"
That's pretty true. Since the former tends to get stuff done, while the later tends to just complain about the former.

I must admit I have a personal disdain for extreme busybodies who butt into everyone's business, but humans are social creatures, and it doesn't really work if you just stand around and look out for yourself, as everyone had to be reliant on someone else at some point in life.

Let's just use a common example. Signs of domestic violence are viewed. Some people would say "Leave it to their own business". And that's how that crap keeps going on.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 13:48   Link #539
Dwalin

Quote:
Have you fallen in love any time later, though?
No, and please don't laugh at me for that in case you want to. Until some years ago, I found any kind of romantic stories quite annoying, later I changed my mind, but so far the only ones that manage to make me emotional are the ones about childhood sweethearts.

Quote:
I don't think anyone here was suggesting that.
Here, maybe not. But I saw many people on other forums saying things that carried more or less the message "So they love each other since childhood and never moved on? That stinks!".
Old 2013-05-13, 14:18   Link #540
Chiibi

Quote:

Well, for me, it really depends on the situation....

Spoiler for Annoying childhood friend is annoying in this manga:

Now I find this type of character incredibly unlikable and pathetic to boot. Such clinginess is so childish....you can compare it to a kindergartener who won't give up his security blanket. It feels a lot like a case of emotional retardation, if there is such a thing. A healthy teenager does not act that way....especially a boy.

But for a series like Ano Hana, the whole childhood friend=love theme is really really nice.

Tags
disscusion, manga cliche good bad