AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-02-05, 22:07   Link #81
lordshadowisle

The first thing is to always have a clear goal in mind. Why are you in college? To get a good job? To learn things? To make lots of money? To gain connections?

If you have no clear goal then in the worst case you're just mucking around and wasting a few years of your life.

Also, don't think that attending courses is all there is to it. College offers a bit more if you know your final goal. Participate in activities. Know like minded people. Take advantage of special programs or opportunities. Build up your CV.
lordshadowisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 06:10   Link #82
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
Hey kaf-chan, you would think that when you could count the number of courses you need til you get your degree on one hand, you would know which professors not to take a class with. Or that you would know better than to angrily question the head of a department's grading policies. It sounds to me like you made a lot of mistakes on that test, maybe you're not ready to graduate if you can't even fill paper work in properly
Now,now, he got promoted after I dropped by, and six people with the exact same results as me (and yes I confirmed them all) passed. Also his courses are mandatory, I've finished the ones I can choose to take, so there's no skipping this one
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-06, 18:58   Link #83
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
No, no, I wasn't implying it wasn't necessary to get the job. I was stating the fact that in modern society the demand for specific skills varies wildly - forcing people to change careers. This usually requires new certifications, degrees, or retraining each time.

Some countries have infrastructure to support this modern reality.... others, like the US, don't. In the "old days" (when I was young), corporations specifically went out and hired newbies and college graduates because it was good for long-term business. It was understood to be a basic cost of operations. That scheme got broken in the late 80s / early 90s along with the idea that an employee and an employer were hoping for a long term relationship. Most advanced countries have public retraining systems in place that share the load of responding to these new flighty corporate needs.
Ah yes. To train and re-train. The "What you've learnt is already obsolete" maxim.
Old 2011-02-07, 14:23   Link #84
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Now,now, he got promoted after I dropped by, and six people with the exact same results as me (and yes I confirmed them all) passed. Also his courses are mandatory, I've finished the ones I can choose to take, so there's no skipping this one
Sounds like it totally sucks to be you then. have you considered enrolling in another university? Or maybe you could switch majors? Or you could just study a little harder next time and not blame your professor for your inability to write things down correctly.
Old 2011-02-07, 22:26   Link #85
Otaku Guy
Disabled By Request

I think that people should just aim for life happiness, college or not.
Otaku Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 03:42   Link #86
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Sounds like it totally sucks to be you then. have you considered enrolling in another university? Or maybe you could switch majors? Or you could just study a little harder next time and not blame your professor for your inability to write things down correctly.
No, it's too late now. All things considered, I've spent 4.5 years here now, and this is the best uni for the job I want. The only time I could have thought about something else was during my first semester, which was unfortunately very inactive due to strikes etc.
Still, I've planned the way to my degree, by the end of the week I will have 4 or 3 courses left, 3 of which I will automatically pass next semester, allowing me to serve my time in the army now instead of sitting around being useless, and carry on with a thesis and internship next year, possibly getting a "permanent" position for a year or two. That would make 5.5 years of college to get a job besides waiting tables...
Old 2011-02-08, 17:15   Link #87
Gin
*Artist

You should hurry up kaf-chan. Most people graduate in 4 years, but I guess most people know how to write answers to important exam questions down properly. The next time you taken an important test, you should remember to look over your answers BEFORE turning it in.
Old 2011-02-08, 21:53   Link #88
Knowledge Seeker
Student/Lurker

Quote:
You should hurry up kaf-chan. Most people graduate in 4 years, but I guess most people know how to write answers to important exam questions down properly. The next time you taken an important test, you should remember to look over your answers BEFORE turning it in.
Hmmm? There are exceptions to that graduate within 4 years rule (you said "most" so I'll leave that alone.) I think the fact that Kafriel is still going towards the path he chose is quite admirable. Whether he made mistakes or not, all that matters is that he's still progressing towards his goal. (Which is hard for a lot of individuals to do.)

Is college worth it? Yes and no. I got scholarships, worked a few jobs, and had help from parents. As thus, I borrowed $0 in loans. So, naturally, I think it is as I'm getting an asset I do not have to pay back money on, and really, the piece of paper I get from college makes my resume look pretty. (You could make a joke saying that's all that it's good for nowadays.) I've got a semester left of this place.

I'm going into law, so going to college is a must for me. (I take the LSAT this Saturday.)

College is not worth it if one goes into debt in a field they have no passion for, or have no idea what they are going to use their degree for, and still have the debt attached to it. However, neither scenario is life-breaking, and can be remedied with time and planning.
Knowledge Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 01:19   Link #89
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Most people graduate in 4 years
You're actually allowed to maintain your position as a student for twice the number of years it takes to finish, so I'm good
Quote:
I got scholarships, worked a few jobs, and had help from parents. As thus, I borrowed $0 in loans. So, naturally, I think it is as I'm getting an asset I do not have to pay back money on, and really, the piece of paper I get from college makes my resume look pretty. (You could make a joke saying that's all that it's good for nowadays.) I've got a semester left of this place.

I'm going into law, so going to college is a must for me. (I take the LSAT this Saturday.)
Good luck with that!
Quote:
I guess most people know how to write answers to important exam questions down properly.
Just for the record, I'm well above-average when it comes to solving problems, the only thing I got wrong was the end result of a matrix complex that takes 35 minutes to finish using a calculator. I'm not gonna spend another 35' on a double check, because it's just counter-productive, considering the total examination time is 2h.
Old 2011-02-09, 02:19   Link #90
Samari
World's Greatest

Yes it's worth it. The proof:
Spoiler for ...:

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 20:08   Link #91
Prodigy
Heartless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Spoiler for ...:
Win!

You gotta love them college parties.

Spoiler for more motivation:
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 20:56   Link #92
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
You're actually allowed to maintain your position as a student for twice the number of years it takes to finish, so I'm good

Just for the record, I'm well above-average when it comes to solving problems, the only thing I got wrong was the end result of a matrix complex that takes 35 minutes to finish using a calculator. I'm not gonna spend another 35' on a double check, because it's just counter-productive, considering the total examination time is 2h.
Sure you could stay for longer if you want to, but wouldn't you rather get school out of the way now so that you can enjoy more of your youth?

I wonder if all the students who passed think it was counter-productive of them to make sure the problem they just spent half an hour solving was filled in correctly. Or maybe it just doesn't take them as long to solve the problems.
Quote:
Spoiler for ...:
*yawn*
That kind of thing happens a lot at my house, but I am in college so Idk.
Old 2011-02-09, 21:08   Link #93
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Spoiler for ...:
That's exactly why I dislike college.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 21:10   Link #94
Gin
*Artist

Why do you always have a problem with things that are hella awesome? Do you have something against having a good time?
Old 2011-02-09, 21:30   Link #95
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

it depends on the cost of living in your area, if for example a janitor job income in your area will give you basic necessities like food, water, clothing, shelter and enough money to buy your wants like computers, gadgets, etc then why bother going to college right? lol
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 23:02   Link #96
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Why do you always have a problem with things that are hella awesome? Do you have something against having a good time?
That depends on the perspective no? You always seem to get offended by my rejection of a high density lifestyle. I don't give shit to people like you so can you just learn to accept that we are of course different people who have different priorities and values?

I don't go to college for what I perceive as self-destructive, warped entertainment. I go because I want to ensure the most comfortable lifestyle I can for myself by getting the necessary tools to get a safe-stable well paying job that I can wake up in the morning and say I'm proud of what I do.

If I could subtract the college lifestyle from the college experience, I'd gladly take it. That is because all it does is distract one's self from their goals and opportunities, and promotes a lonely way of living.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 23:35   Link #97
Knowledge Seeker
Student/Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
If I could subtract the college lifestyle from the college experience, I'd gladly take it. That is because all it does is distract one's self from their goals and opportunities, and promotes a lonely way of living.
I applaud you, man! A good head on your shoulders will take you far. Although, I sort of disagree with a portion of that. A part of the college lifestyle will enable you to make friends, and meet possible contacts in the future. That's all up to you, but entirely dismissing it seems wasteful. You are only young once. I've got a high GPA, but I make sure I hang with some friends every once and awhile for a night on the town.

But I do agree with your mentality about being able to be proud of what you do. And I'm not too keen on going to every college party thrown, myself. (But don't mind the occasional party.)
Knowledge Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 01:21   Link #98
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
That depends on the perspective no? You always seem to get offended by my rejection of a high density lifestyle. I don't give shit to people like you so can you just learn to accept that we are of course different people who have different priorities and values?

I don't go to college for what I perceive as self-destructive, warped entertainment. I go because I want to ensure the most comfortable lifestyle I can for myself by getting the necessary tools to get a safe-stable well paying job that I can wake up in the morning and say I'm proud of what I do.

You know it is possible to be all you can be and do well in college. I love social experiences like parties, clubbing, trips, etc. And I love the pretty girls at my school. Doesn't mean I can't find the time to focus on my studies and prioritize. If it's not your thing I understand, but I don't agree with your perception of socializing in college as being self-destructive and promoting a lonely way of living.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2011-02-10, 01:32   Link #99
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

This question seems entirely pointless to me, of course it's worth it. There's no better alternative to getting a degree in a field you're interested in and assisting you in finding a career you want.

I myself for instance wouldn't be taking incredibly hard math classes to get into a program at my local college if I thought it was pointless would I? =/

And about the social gathering thing like parties and whatnot, sorry, but I'd rather refrain from sacrificing my dignity, I'm rather fond of it. Also it's just not my idea of having fun. I'd much rather spend an evening at home with a pal or two or alone peacefully enjoying my time working on what I need or want to do.
Old 2011-02-10, 01:37   Link #100
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post

And about the social gathering thing like parties and whatnot, sorry, but I'd rather refrain from sacrificing my dignity, I'm rather fond of it. I'd much rather spend an evening at home with a pal or two or alone peacefully enjoying my time working on what I need or want to do.
You sacrifice your dignity when you go to a party? What in the world do you do?

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。