AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2006-02-07, 20:11   Link #1
LinuxSSA

Linux SSA support

There was a post on 4chan /g/ a while back about linux SSA support from a part time fansubber. Since I was surprised there there was no mention of it here, I just wanted to spread the word. I know virtually nothing about linux so I can't test it out. From what was written in the post, he said it supported styles and positioning and that he was working on more. The torrent is found here

http://www.dosius.net:6969/torrent.h...49258217b8771e

And I have taken to liberty to upload to rapidshare for those who cannot or do not want to use BT.

http://rapidshare.de/files/12780640/....1.tar.gz.html

The ReadMe file contains the irc contact info:
"Help can be had from irc.oftc.net #libssa"

So if you want to help him out, he will most likely appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.
LinuxSSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 20:48   Link #2
ZeroKun

Yeah, I was that guy. From what some of the other people I know have experienced with font rendering, it is still not perfect. For the 2 I know, the colors and shadows were off(I only used b&w as you saw). On top of that all 3 of us noticed overlapping fonts(imaging the tip of a p on the first line overlapping the tip of a d that is on the second line). So far I'm happy with the results since I don't use Karaoke or advance font designs/formatting. I'm happy with font placement and actual font rendering, not like Mplayer's horrible transparent font rendering

Last edited by ZeroKun; 2006-02-07 at 21:30.
ZeroKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 03:18   Link #3
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

http://asa.diac24.net/wiki/index.php/Compatibility
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-21, 07:51   Link #4
goldupload03

This link doesn’t work. Please upload it on http://depositfiles.com. It will be there within 180 days. Thanks.
goldupload03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 08:10   Link #5
DeathWolf

as it is said in fluff's link, there's no decent supprot with libssa...
You'd better wait for asa to mature or some of the other's project to get decent functionalities.
Until then you are stuck under win
DeathWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 10:43   Link #6
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

Somebody on the mplayer-dev-eng mailinglist is also working on (better) ASS/SSA support for MPlayer. The patch works acceptably for me, but the font sizes are still a bit off and karaoke effects don't seem to be supported. It's still pretty nice, though. Maybe it will be included in the next actual MPlayer release, which might out pretty soon, considering all the talk about it on the list.
Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 19:11   Link #7
ZeroKun

Come to #libssa on irc.oftc.net. The guys are currently working on \t.
Old 2006-04-27, 01:44   Link #8
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Somebody on the mplayer-dev-eng mailinglist is also working on (better) ASS/SSA support for MPlayer. The patch works acceptably for me, but the font sizes are still a bit off and karaoke effects don't seem to be supported. It's still pretty nice, though. Maybe it will be included in the next actual MPlayer release, which might out pretty soon, considering all the talk about it on the list.
Has any work been going on to get this kind of support into the other engines, like GStreamer, Xine-lib or VLC? I use Kaffeine+Xine-lib on my anime screening box fleet which I drag just about everywhere to events and would dearly love to see VSFilter-style support in it.

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-07, 16:56   Link #9
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

The SSA/ASS patch for MPlayer has been committed to SVN (r18942). No more manual patching required, for those building fresh from SVN.

A few screenshots from Manhole-Fansub's completely softsubbed Binchou-tan episode 02, to show the current state of support:
- fading group logo
- softsubbed show logo (displayed a bit too big, I think)
- karaoke effect
- karaoke and character name
- typeset sign; rendering is not perfect but pretty good, I'd say

To enable MPlayer's new SSA/ASS support:
Code:
mplayer -embeddedfonts -ass something.mkv
Or put the following in your config file:
Code:
embeddedfonts=yes
ass=yes
Other things to know:
  • Freetype (2.1.8 or newer) is required to build MPlayer with SSA/ASS support.
  • Having fontconfig is also advisable.
  • Embedded fonts are extracted to ~/mplayer/fonts/

Last edited by Jekyll; 2006-07-07 at 17:34.
Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-11, 02:35   Link #10
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
I have to say... good job to all the hard working guys who made this possible. ( '-')b
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-11, 12:41   Link #11
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll
The SSA/ASS patch for MPlayer has been committed to SVN (r18942). No more manual patching required, for those building fresh from SVN.
Squee! *glomp*

Time to build off the repository, then, rather than just emerging the Gentoo package. But thank you, thank you, *thank you*. Now I can actually see what our typesetting looks like before I get our final distro copy....
Futaba-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-11, 13:41   Link #12
LytHka
Banned

I tried it and I'm very happy you guys made this possible. All I need now is for more eroge linux ports and I can stop using Windows completely. Thanks, a lot!
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-11, 14:13   Link #13
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
Has anyone tried the new MPlayer SSA/ASS support and found it to work effectively? I'm certainly interested in this, myself. Actually, would anyone be prepared to hand-hold me through the process of compiling it? I'm really interested in this, but my skills in this field are weak from lack of use.
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-11, 14:53   Link #14
Zamorate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba-chan
Squee! *glomp*

Time to build off the repository, then, rather than just emerging the Gentoo package. But thank you, thank you, *thank you*. Now I can actually see what our typesetting looks like before I get our final distro copy....
There is an ebuild to build mplayer directly from the SVN repository. You can find it in the kpex-media overlay, and you can add this overlay with layman (emerge -av layman, echo "source /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf >> /etc/make.conf", layman -a kpex-media). The version you have to install is mplayer-9999-r3.

By the way, thanks for this patch, now I can see much more series that i haven't seen because the have softsubs.

Good bye
Zamorate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-11, 17:28   Link #15
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamorate
There is an ebuild to build mplayer directly from the SVN repository. You can find it in the kpex-media overlay, and you can add this overlay with layman (emerge -av layman, echo "source /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf >> /etc/make.conf", layman -a kpex-media). The version you have to install is mplayer-9999-r3.
Yay! That worked. Somewhere I mixed up some USE flags, so I had to disble flac in the final build, but it's otherwise working just fine now. (Well, except for me not having any of the fonts that we're using on hand....)
Futaba-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 04:31   Link #16
freakabcd

Jekyll or anyone else who has gotten this ass patch to work properly...

My svn checkout is from 14 July, neither '-vf ass' nor '-embeddedfonts -ass' works with mkv with ass softsubs. Is there a compile option --enable-ass or something like that? I looked through the configure script and couldn't find it

lol, my checkout was 14 June
freakabcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 04:42   Link #17
ZeroKun

Check it out again, it's too old. Everything was commited last week.