AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-03-21, 03:08   Link #1
a7m4

Phoenix and Tetsujin 28 Gou

Is anyone planning on subbing either Phoenix or Tetsujin 28 Gou? These sort of series often seem to be passed up. I am hoping some groups will sub them instead of 8 groups subbing the new Gainax shows.

Here is some information on them:

Hi no Tori (Phoenix): Osamu Tezuka's 'life work' is being remade into a 13 episode TV series. It will be directed by Ryouske Takahashi (Armed Trooper Votoms, Gasaraki, Segment 3 of Matsumoto's The Cockpit). The soundtrack will be based on music Tezuka liked, such as Beethoven and Chinese instruments like the erhu. Renmei-hen, Fukkatsu-hen, Ikei-hen, and Mirai-hen are the stories that will be adapted into anime. Going from a horrible Babelfish translation: The Dawn chapter will be four episodes, Future will be two, Sun will be four, Strange Beings will be one, and Resurrection will be two. The first episode seems to be airing on the 21st of April with 5.1 audio. It also looks like Akio Sugino (famous for working with Osamu Dezaki on Ashita no Joe, Brother Dear Brother, Black Jack, Ace o Nerae) will be one of the many people working on animation supervision and character designs. The official website is here.

Tetsujin 28 Gou (Gigantor): Mitsuteru Yokoyama's classic manga Tetsujin 28 is being animated for the fourth time. This incarnation will be directed by Yasuhiro Imagawa (Director of Giant Robo, which was based on various Yokoyama works), and is supposedly going to be the most faithful adaptation of the manga so far. According to the official website the first episode wil be broadcasted in the early morning of the 8th of April.
a7m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-21, 13:58   Link #2
roxfan
Solar Fansubs

Phoenix is licensed, though unknown by whom yet. It was mentioned in some article about increasing anime export.
*edit* Here it is (last paragraph): http://www.asahi.com/english/arts/TKY200402270163.html

Last edited by roxfan; 2004-03-21 at 15:16.
roxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-21, 17:18   Link #3
a7m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxfan
Phoenix is licensed, though unknown by whom yet. It was mentioned in some article about increasing anime export.
*edit* Here it is (last paragraph): http://www.asahi.com/english/arts/TKY200402270163.html
"In a latest move, Japan Broadcasting Corp. (NHK) decided to sell its new cartoon series, Osamu Tezuka's ``Hi no tori'' (Phoenix), which starts in April, overseas."

Im not sure if that means the series is sold, or if NHK is trying to sell it. Either way, it will most likely be licensed if it isn't already, so fansubbers should probably stay away.
Old 2004-03-21, 18:48   Link #4
roxfan
Solar Fansubs

More details:
http://www.envirosphere.com/glrl.php?id=708
roxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-21, 19:28   Link #5
a7m4

Interesting. I wonder if that means it will only be airing on TV in New York, or if it will even get a DVD release. I am going to be pretty upset if it it doesn't get a DVD release, let alone a bilingual release.
Old 2004-03-22, 15:03   Link #6
jennwenn

Its always a gamble with those huge non-otaku companies that just don't care. *cough*Hollywood Mew Mew*cough* But seeing as this is a possible co-production, they BETTER have Japanese subs and unedited DVDs.
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-23, 13:37   Link #7
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

You know, I'd be happy if there were more episodes of Giant Robo.

*rants about there being no more Giant Robo*
Gold_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-23, 16:14   Link #8
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold_Rogers
You know, I'd be happy if there were more episodes of Giant Robo.

*rants about there being no more Giant Robo*
Same here! Dump Tetsujin and pick up GR! But then I wonder if they could pick up the momentum again since its been so long...

Speaking of the Phoenix co-production, I'm surprised Osamu Tezuka's stuff is seen as marketable in the US but I'm glad. I guess I've just become used to so many complaints about his style of artwork that I didn't realize there were other people out there like me who love it. Now I really gotta get a TV...
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-24, 18:16   Link #9
Saouri
Megami-sama

Send a message via MSN to Saouri Send a message via Yahoo to Saouri
Great news.
I hope this 2 clasics of anime be really good re-maded.
For me Tetsujin 28 Go is a very clasic of my childhood.
Tnxs for the info
Saouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 06:34   Link #10
wraith985

Send a message via AIM to wraith985
Frankly, I'd be surprised if any American anime company took a risk with HnT. It's hard to see Hi No Tori as having much of a mainstream appeal and/or market, and that's really the bottom line for anime companies. Besides, the HnT movies have been out since the 80s and nobody's shown any interest in those at all...
wraith985 is offline   Reply With Quote