081 - 090: Great... 34 26.36%
071 - 080: Very Good... 11 8.53%
061 - 070: Good... 6 4.65%
051 - 060: Average... 2 1.55%
041 - 050: Below Average... 2 1.55%
031 - 040: Bad... 0 0%
021 - 030: Very Bad... 0 0%
011 - 020: Awful... 0 0%
000 - 010: You'd rather be watching Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals... 3 2.33%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-06-26, 23:19   Link #181
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Kinda hard to avoid considering it was pretty much centered on her love for Naruto.
And that's where I diverge from other's interpretation of this scene. Hinata was not really confessing her love for Naruto. That's right; she was not confessing her love. Rather, she was confessing her ideology: her creed (many forgot that a "confession" started as a deeply religious word that has slightly changed over the years away from its originally meaning into more romantic undertones). A confession is an avowal of belief, a frank acknowledgement of what you really believe. Hinata may or may not love Naruto romantically, but she clearly admires him and has even studied his creed (his nindo) and learned from his experiences. Her confession was not a declaration of love for Naruto, but a declaration of self-belief (similar to Konohamaru's declarition of self just a few episodes ago). She stood up to Pain not because Naruto was in trouble, but because she believed she had to stand up to Pain (I'm a little unwilling to say that she would definitely done the same thing (attack Pain) for just anyone, but I do think that she would).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 23:40   Link #182
Mr.Amazing
Enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
And that's where I diverge from other's interpretation of this scene. Hinata was not really confessing her love for Naruto. That's right; she was not confessing her love. Rather, she was confessing her ideology: her creed (many forgot that a "confession" started as a deeply religious word that has slightly changed over the years away from its originally meaning into more romantic undertones). A confession is an avowal of belief, a frank acknowledgement of what you really believe. Hinata may or may not love Naruto romantically, but she clearly admires him and has even studied his creed (his nindo) and learned from his experiences. Her confession was not a declaration of love for Naruto, but a declaration of self-belief (similar to Konohamaru's declarition of self just a few episodes ago). She stood up to Pain not because Naruto was in trouble, but because she believed she had to stand up to Pain (I'm a little unwilling to say that she would definitely done the same thing (attack Pain) for just anyone, but I do think that she would).
I can agree with all of this except for what I bolded. She would have fought Pain had Naruto already not have asked all the ninja to stay back, but the reason she goes when she does is definitely because she felt Naruto was in trouble. She may not love him, but she definitely loves him in a less romantic sense.
Mr.Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 00:18   Link #183
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
And that's where I diverge from other's interpretation of this scene. Hinata was not really confessing her love for Naruto. That's right; she was not confessing her love.
She stated to Naruto that she loved him; a fact that was previously unknown to him. That, by definition, is a confession of love.

Quote:
Rather, she was confessing her ideology: her creed (many forgot that a "confession" started as a deeply religious word that has slightly changed over the years away from its originally meaning into more romantic undertones). A confession is an avowal of belief, a frank acknowledgement of what you really believe.
Defintions of words change and evolve all the time. It doesn't make the modern definitions any less credible. At any rate, to confess can simply mean to disclose or admit something. In this case she was admitting her love.

As for it being a confession of her ideology, sure, but the two go hand-in-hand. Hinata's ideology and beliefs were and are contingent on how Naruto changed her and the fact that she loves him.

Quote:
Hinata may or may not love Naruto romantically, but she clearly admires him and has even studied his creed (his nindo) and learned from his experiences.
She does love Naruto romantically. She just f-ing does.

Quote:
Her confession was not a declaration of love for Naruto, but a declaration of self-belief (similar to Konohamaru's declarition of self just a few episodes ago).
Yeah, except Konohamaru never said that he loved Naruto.

Quote:
She stood up to Pain not because Naruto was in trouble, but because she believed she had to stand up to Pain (I'm a little unwilling to say that she would definitely done the same thing (attack Pain) for just anyone, but I do think that she would).
Then why didn't she stand up to Pain until Naruto had been impaled by a bunch of spikes? She saw Naruto was in trouble and, despite his wishes, she intervened because she wanted to protect the one she loved.

Seriously, you gotta stop overthinking this.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 00:33   Link #184
james0246

Quote:

Seriously, you gotta stop overthinking this.
If I take the scene at just face value (a confession of love), then I can't help but find Hinata a weak and pathetic character that hurts Naruto more (by selfishly proclaiming her love then being effortlessly killed) than she would if she had just stayed away from the fight at all. But, if the scene is really a declaration of self, an expression of her desire to stand for a personal belief that dwarfs any specific love or hate she may feel, then even though she tries and (spectacularly) fails, she is still respectable for standing up for her beliefs.

Since I don't want to hate Hinata, I guess I will just stick to my interpretation and leave it at that...
Old 2010-06-27, 00:44   Link #185
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
If I take the scene at just face value (a confession of love), then I can't help but find Hinata a weak and pathetic character that hurts Naruto more (by selfishly proclaiming her love then being effortlessly killed) than she would if she had just stayed away from the fight at all. But, if the scene is really a declaration of self, an expression of her desire to stand for a personal belief that dwarfs any specific love or hate she may feel, then even though she tries and (spectacularly) fails, she is still respectable for standing up for her beliefs.

Since I don't want to hate Hinata, I guess I will just stick to my interpretation and leave it at that...
So it's selfish and hurtful to proclaim your love for someone while also trying to protect them when they've been all but defeated by the enemy. So I guess it was also selfish for Luffy to try to rescue Ace or for Ichig to rescue Rukia and Orihime. Yeah sure, that's the real way to show you care about someone, by doing absolutely nothing and leaving them to their fate.

Might I add that if she had stayed away from the fight Naruto, in all likelihood, would have died.
Old 2010-06-27, 00:56   Link #186
james0246

^Um, yes it is selfish, and there is nothing wrong with that...if you have the power (or at least plot protection) to be selfish to back it up (btw, at least one of your examples is extremely spoilerific, in fact you shouldn't talk about specific details for other series at all without spoiler tags (especially details that have not been animated yet)). If Hinata is just standing up for her beliefs, then her selfishness is left aside, and we only have to deal with a character fighting for their beliefs.

That being said, I'm unclear why you are trying to pick a "fight" with me over this. You like it one way (romance apparently, but judging by your avatar, signature and title I shouldn't be surprised...), I like it another (not romance...obviously ). Instead of trying to pick a fight with me why don't you look for someone that has actually expressed a hatred for Hinata...That being said, I'm going to stop now since I have no real desire to be drawn into a pointless discussion (which this is quickly turn into).
Old 2010-06-27, 01:21   Link #187
Nobodyman9
Banned

Well, I'll agree this discussion is turning out to be pretty pointless. Also, I'm sorry if it sounded like I was trying to pick a fight with you. So yeah, we're done.
Old 2010-06-27, 04:30   Link #188
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

I think its perfectly fine for Hinata to confess her love for Naruto (Im considering it as romatically) as well as expressing her ideaology/belief.

Shes simply doing both at the same time in her actions and her words...both aspects are not mutually exclusive.
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 04:46   Link #189
neshru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Does that Lion Fist technique
actually do anything, aside from making a lion-aura around her fists?
Probably just improve the range of your hits, or make you hit harder. Too bad she was fighting a dead body, so disabling it through pain was pointless.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 05:15   Link #190
ShadowVlican

everyone is fucking dying.. is naruto gonna end soon
ShadowVlican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 05:39   Link #191
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
Probably just improve the range of your hits, or make you hit harder. Too bad she was fighting a dead body, so disabling it through pain was pointless.
If it affects chakra circulation like the other Byakugan attacks, potentially she could stop Pain from using his one technique.

If only she was faster...
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 06:16   Link #192
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Might I add that if she had stayed away from the fight Naruto, in all likelihood, would have died.
Ultimately, yeah, he would of since Pain was preparing to take him away. Now I'm thinking more than I should into this...those of us that read the manga would like to ask Kishi why he chose Hinata to be the one to save Naruto and everyone else be injured/exhausted.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 09:16   Link #193
krispin149
漫画家

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Dreamer View Post
If it affects chakra circulation like the other Byakugan attacks, potentially she could stop Pain from using his one technique.

If only she was faster...

in previous episodes the hyuga clan, can actually "cut" chakra strings. The cutting of the chakra that's controlling those bodies was possible but this is "naruto" not "Hyuga" lol.
Old 2010-06-27, 09:52   Link #194
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

The Pains aren't being controlled by chakra strings. There's no way Hinata, or any Hyuga for that matter, could sever the connection.
Old 2010-06-27, 09:56   Link #195
Kafriel
Senior Guest

That's right, chakra rods enable wireless FM chakra transmission...for more details on how that works, visit Nagato Communications inc.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 10:02   Link #196
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Great episode. The added material really complemented it all too. Super disappointed that we didn't get to see just how many tails he had with all of that fox chakra exploding out.
Old 2010-06-27, 11:12   Link #197
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
That's right, chakra rods enable wireless FM chakra transmission...for more details on how that works, visit Nagato Communications inc.
Warning: Nagato Communications is not responsible for loss of life, village, or corpse while under contract.
Old 2010-06-27, 11:53   Link #198
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
The Pains aren't being controlled by chakra strings. There's no way Hinata, or any Hyuga for that matter, could sever the connection.
But the bodies are still being controlled by chakra receivers, so maybe attacking the rods directly would still disrupt the flow of chakra to the body...After all, Naruto showed us one can still take out a body using brute force anyway...Who knows? A Hyuuga could have the potential to EMP Pain...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-27, 12:19   Link #199
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
But the bodies are still being controlled by chakra receivers, so maybe attacking the rods directly would still disrupt the flow of chakra to the body...After all, Naruto showed us one can still take out a body using brute force anyway...Who knows? A Hyuuga could have the potential to EMP Pain...
Maybe if they got every rod, but that's a lot of receivers to go for, and you really can't expect Pain to sit still for that.
Old 2010-06-27, 13:06   Link #200
Alchemist007
*Author

I figure even one rod would do something. Unless he just needs 1 and for some reason just likes the style of putting a million on there.

Tags
weekly episode discussion