AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2015-12-10, 01:26   Link #58201
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Do note that the pilebunker and the distinction of being a gen 2.5 isn't exactly a thing to be proud of. I believe in canon it was seen as a sign of desperation on the part of Dunois corporation to market a suit beyond their successful gen 2 model the Rafael due to lack of innovation and pure incapability of building a true gen 3 unit.
Old 2015-12-10, 03:11   Link #58202
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW-Otaku View Post
At least she doesn't throw steamrollers at y-
ww---STOP
TEMPTING
ME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin
Do note that the pilebunker and the distinction of being a gen 2.5 isn't exactly a thing to be proud of. I believe in canon it was seen as a sign of desperation on the part of Dunois corporation to market a suit beyond their successful gen 2 model the Rafael due to lack of innovation and pure incapability of building a true gen 3 unit.
- True, but don't completely write it off. Comparing a 2.5 gen to a 3 Gen is like comparing a Raptor to a Su-33 Flanker: sure the Raptor is better but the Flanker is hardly useless. And there's more Flankers than Raptors, so likewise it'd be easier to upgrade existing Rafales to Revive standard as a stopgap---also ensuring that Dunois can still keep producing old IS but just upgrade them.

Another note: I guess that means that in terms of pure skill, Charl is better than most of the Harem not including Tatenashi?
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-10, 03:25   Link #58203
demino_hellsin
That one guy

That is true from a purely practical standpoint. However from a technical perspective, Dunois required something truly awe-inspiring to get the attention of the French government. I believe it was said in canon that Dunois were pretty much going broke because all their future plans were being scrapped by the government because they weren't advanced enough or they made no sense or something.

Charlotte in her Rafael Revive which was a stripped down Rafael for more equalizer slots with added Pilebunker was a giant publicity stunt considering that Rafael was specially tuned for her while she was faking the whole "second male IS pilot" thing.

It's less of Raptor vs Flanker and more of F-15C Eagle vs F-15E Strike Eagle. Add in 3rd gen and then we're bringing talks of your F-22 Raptors and your PAK-FAs.

Yes, Gen 2 does what it does really well and to any other pilot and soldier that's great. It's that idea of a practically superior tuned predecessor unit against an experimental could be good, could be screwed prototype. In this sense I guess the comparison goes to stock F-15C vs F-35... ugh. I don't even want to think about it.
Old 2015-12-10, 04:57   Link #58204
The 48th Ronin

The F-35 is overrated, IMO.
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-10, 05:04   Link #58205
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

F-35 is piece of shit

Also, the main problem is that I.S. limitation is not an issue of unit cost, but rather, I.S. core.

Every single core has to count. You really want your nation's unit as strong and reliable as possible.
Old 2015-12-10, 05:32   Link #58206
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I'm not saying the F-35 is better than the F-15. I'm sayin the F-35 is technologically superior, but crap in practicality of it all. Kind of like a lot of gen 3 IS. I'm looking at you Shenlong.
Old 2015-12-10, 06:37   Link #58207
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED
F-35 is piece of shit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orange
The F-35 is overrated, IMO.
- If they didn't have to make the same frame do different things it might have been decent...

...but Government officials buying F-35s don't have to bet their life on flying one, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
Kind of like a lot of gen 3 IS. I'm looking at you Shenlong.
Old 2015-12-10, 08:09   Link #58208
demino_hellsin
That one guy

ShenLong and Rin are mutually exclusive. I attribute whatever success ShenLong has on the frontlines purely by the fact Rin is piloting the damn thing. Honestly I think that IS frame is a death trap and the in novel China were just doing a disservice to themselves and to the core they shoved into that fuschia freak.
Old 2015-12-10, 13:36   Link #58209
JohnSeever

So basically, the difference between a 2nd and 3rd Gen is like comparing An Airbus to a Boeing? Depending on the aircraft, the newer ones are better than the older styles due to upgrades right?
JohnSeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-10, 18:28   Link #58210
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Not familiar with commercial aircrafts but yeah sure. The bottomline in differentiating them are the features they pack technologically. Says pretty much nothing about their practical performance though.
Old 2015-12-10, 23:23   Link #58211
SRW-Otaku
The Corniest Mecha Fanboy

Let's just put aside the whole aircraft-talks and look at the situation here.
We're talking about a bunch of armored suits that is basically watered down Iron Man suits, but still deadly.
And the mass-produced ones have katana that can cut through Wolverine's bones.
The difference between a 2nd gen and a 3rd gen is like the difference between the old Mazinger Z and the new one with the God Scrander: The Shin Mazinger might have a more powerful Photon Beam that somehow rivals the Wave Motion Gun, but the whole "transforming into a giant fist and fly at max speed at the enemy" thing doesn't look all that practical. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU CONSIDERS THAT THE MAZINGERS ARE ONE OF THE LESS MOBILE SUPER ROBOTS.

The thing that formed my childhood...
SRW-Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-10, 23:31   Link #58212
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Quite the opposite in my eyes. IS are pretty much subservient Ultrons that are dependent on humans.
Old 2015-12-11, 20:16   Link #58213
JohnSeever

So a 2nd gen vs a 3rd gen is basically the options that are available huh?
JohnSeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-11, 21:25   Link #58214
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSeever View Post
So a 2nd gen vs a 3rd gen is basically the options that are available huh?
- If only Izuru was a bit more well-read and researched it wouldn't be this difficult. But essentially a 3rd Gen IS has access to energy or exotic weapons (like Mysterious Lady's water-based nanotech) and more energy output. It's kind of difficult to draw more specifics because most of the main characters' IS are 3rd gen (Rafale Revive is 2.5Gen as mentioned). Akatsubaki and Byakushiki are 4th Gen or at least have elements of 4th Gen. The only 2nd Gen IS we see are the stock Rafale and Uchigane.

Even so, Rafale and Uchigane they're mass-production units while Blue Tears, Schwarzer Regen, Shenlong, and all other 3rd Gens are prototype units. So really the difference is in the kinds of abilities the IS employs.

Which makes me rage again as I'm still trying to write that IS fic but have (for the fifth or sixth time) decided to start from scratch. Why is this relevant? Because the problem with not being able to define the specific differences between 2nd and 3rd Gen Is---means it's really hard to define the differences between 3rd and 4th Gen IS. I think only 3 4th gens are confirmed? Akatsubaki, Byakushiki, and Kurokishi (guessing it is, haven't read the LNs up to that part).

Last edited by wavehawk; 2015-12-11 at 22:02.
Old 2015-12-11, 23:26   Link #58215
SRW-Otaku

STOP. SELF-DESIGNED I.S. TIME! (even thou i'm doing finals)

Name: Feraille ("Old Iron" or "Scrap" in French)
Origin: French
Type: Dunois industry's failed Gen 3 Mid-to melee range IS

A failed Gen3 that the Dunois industry abandoned because of various reason such as "Too fucking imbalanced", "suicidal amount of thrusts" and "Too many claymores". It was sent to Charl's stepsister, Vita Dunois to test out any potential for improvement. What they got was a match made in heaven.

Vita employs a all-or-nothing fighting style, always charging at the opponent at max speed, which compliment the IS various weapons quite well (a heat horn, a stake, shoulder-mounted claymores, minigun and a pair of PDWs). The "Avalez Mouches" (Swallow Flight) claymores and the "Jerenfeu" (Iron Stake) rocket-powered revolver-fed stake was the main stay weapon of this "Stag Bettle of Death".

Shield: 150. Extra resilient against particle beam attacks but can quickly run out, so it's only reserved for extremely heavy attacks.
Armor rating: Tested against a rail gun, a pair of impact cannons and even a Shield Piercer and only received light-moderate damage.

Specialty: Front line rushing

Weapons:
1- Vent - .55 cal Assault rifle with detachable magazines that hold up to 16 rounds each.

2- Corne de Cobalt (Cobalt Horn) - a horn that is located around the headgear area that can vibrate fast enough to generate extreme heat.

3- Garm - .61 cal sub machine gun (SMG) or personal defense weapon (PDW) capable of firing a non-explosive cluster round in addition to conventional ammunition.

4- Ferenjeu (roughly "Iron Stake") - a CQC pilebunker-type weapon that was based on the Gray Scale, but the weapon is instead integrated into the I.S's arm to be more maneuverable. It had a slightly faster firing speed, coupled with a rocket thruster that increases the power of the weapon even further. While being effective only at extremely close range, it is one of the most powerful melee weapons wielded by 2nd Gen. IS.

5- Avalez Mouches (Swallow Flight) - a series of rail-powered claymore launchers installed in the IS's shoulder unit, these can launch high-speed titanium ball bearings at multiple targets at mid-range, proving to be indispensable whenever Vita has to fight an opponent without closing in to point blank range.

Last edited by SRW-Otaku; 2015-12-13 at 09:25.
Old 2015-12-14, 19:42   Link #58216
S-34
Mechwarrior

Wait... claymore launchers?! The explosive or... God forbid... Giant Nightmare Swords from Soul Calibur....
Eheheh...
S-34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-14, 20:09   Link #58217
SRW-Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-34 View Post
Wait... claymore launchers?! The explosive or... God forbid... Giant Nightmare Swords from Soul Calibur....
Why would there be a demon sword in France? Of course the explosive.

Old 2015-12-14, 20:45   Link #58218
lovetospoon73

well since it's the christmas time, knowing the girls will probably hang a lot of misle toes & the see ichika under 1= FULL STAMPEDE OF HIM BEING KISSED, & his clothing torn off
lovetospoon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-14, 20:57   Link #58219
SRW-Otaku

Side notes: I think that S-34 was thinking about an IS-mounted big-ass sword launcher.
The F*ck, m8?

Old 2015-12-15, 20:34   Link #58220
S-34
Mechwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW-Otaku View Post
Side notes: I think that S-34 was thinking about an IS-mounted big-ass sword launcher.
The F*ck, m8?
I was... My imagination was on some serious stuff that day XD. I could only imagine... ballistic knives on steroids. AKA, Zwei-launchers.
Eheheh...
S-34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfic ideas, fanfiction, ff.net, harem, is fanfic, warning fanfic spoilers, wincest