AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-01-19, 08:34   Link #1
mokoufanatic
the immortal fire

Demon's Souls your feelings on it

i honestly dont know why I waited to make a thread about this game should have made it the second i found out there was none any way that aside i have to say Demon's Souls is a game that will test your skill alot like monster hunter the only difference is that Demon's souls is more open world
mokoufanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-19, 19:16   Link #2
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

great game, getting 100% completion on it can be a bitch. The fire montah boss is cheap..... CHEAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2010-01-19, 20:57   Link #3
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Great game, and I like how laid back the game feels even with it's challenge. Still despite the claims of many I don't think it's that challenging of a game.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-19, 22:22   Link #4
mokoufanatic
the immortal fire

sometimes the game is excessively easy but other times just jumping head first into fights is kind of fun like going head first into the man eater fight with no prior planning just what you have with you or no equipment you will have to give yourself a challenge eventually
Old 2010-01-20, 06:32   Link #5
StarTouch
Yandere for win :O

I thought Demon's Souls was a good challenge and the online touch was nice. Working with (or against) others to conquer (or hinder) a level was strangely fun despite the lack of any elaborate communication tools.

I never felt that the game was crazy in its difficulty / execution requirements for the player. Every time I died, I thought back and it was usually "yea, I was dumb there for using *insert skill / move here* there" or "could've played better there". Yes, my mistakes were punished harshly but in the end, the fault was on my end rather than the game's.

Had a blast with the game and loved the (gloomy and dark) atmospheres / worlds (loved the start of World 3 with the eeriness).
Old 2010-01-20, 14:14   Link #6
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
The game difficult is greatly overrated in many reviews out there. It's far from an impossible game. The thing is it's easy to die. If you don't know or got the game mechanics wrong, you will die a lot. If your skills are lacking, you will die a lot.

It's really a breath of fresh air to have a game like that. A game that really punishes your lack of skill instead of patting you.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-20, 19:30   Link #7
mokoufanatic
the immortal fire

it also serves as a great stress reliever when you are in an area that is easy (cough) boletarian palace 1-1 or stone fang tunnels the whole level other wise you will wind up getting more agitated
Old 2010-01-21, 12:12   Link #8
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Pretty much echoing what everyone else above me says, as it's most definetely my favorite game of 2009, but I was going in expecting sadistic difficulty from what the reviews and whatnot let me to believe. It was a tad difficult at first, especially for someone like me who is used to going gung-ho in video games, but at the end of the day, I think this game would be better described as "unforgiving" rather than "difficult".

It's also really innovative as hell, and invading other people's games as a Black Knight is the greatest thing ever. At first, I stuck to helping people out as a Blue Knight in order to get my body back; however, once I found out you don't lose a soul level from getting killed by a player while invading, but rather just by accidental death... well let's just say I had marathon sessions of being an asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwkc View Post
The game difficult is greatly overrated in many reviews out there. It's far from an impossible game. The thing is it's easy to die. If you don't know or got the game mechanics wrong, you will die a lot. If your skills are lacking, you will die a lot.

It's really a breath of fresh air to have a game like that. A game that really punishes your lack of skill instead of patting you.
I completely agree. I'm growing tired of the positive reinforcement bullshit.
Old 2010-01-21, 13:05   Link #9
u43368
Disabled By Request

This game is addicting, I'm still playing it and I've had it since a little after release. Though I've pretty much got everything now, I just play as a blue and show off my might against pesky BPs.
u43368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-21, 17:04   Link #10
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It was pretty fun overall. A game where I had to adjust my habits and be just a bit more cautious than I would usually be. Not to mention keeping alert for whenever a Black Phantom would show up. Those fights could get pretty chaotic I'll say. Definitely had to make sure there were no normal enemies around to have a chance.
Old 2010-01-24, 06:05   Link #11
plmko

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2 View Post
Great game, and I like how laid back the game feels even with it's challenge. Still despite the claims of many I don't think it's that challenging of a game.
I think I'm safe to assume that you used Jesus spots and spammed lots of arrows and soul arrows at the bosses to able to say its not a challenge.

Try beating the game with straight melee.

The thing is the game is too easy for range attack users because the AI is quite stupid. Equip the Thief's ring and the enemy will literally ignore you whilst you kill it with arrows. Rinse and repeat with this tactic really works for the entire game, but your really just cheating yourself from the real experience.
plmko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 08:55   Link #12
DingoEnderZOE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmko View Post
I think I'm safe to assume that you used Jesus spots and spammed lots of arrows and soul arrows at the bosses to able to say its not a challenge.

Try beating the game with straight melee.

The thing is the game is too easy for range attack users because the AI is quite stupid. Equip the Thief's ring and the enemy will literally ignore you whilst you kill it with arrows. Rinse and repeat with this tactic really works for the entire game, but your really just cheating yourself from the real experience.
Ha ha don't be so quick to assume that I would use such a cheap tactic(which I had no idea the thief ring could be used that way.) believe me when I say with the exception of relying on a little magic and miracles here and there I used melee weapons my entire way through the game, I especially enjoyed fighting the king and that boss with the really long spear using Melee weapons.

I don't like playing through games with bow and arrows or crossbows in Games unless I have to, in this game I only used them to kill those stupid dragons at the castle stages where it was impossible to kill them using Melee weapons, and when I had to shoot at those boss that kept flying off screen most of the time until they came to attack you directly.

What everyone else has said still holds true though, it's not that difficult of a game as long as you take your time, you're careful and you don't start rushing in like a mad man. Too me as long as you stay focus, pay attention to the enemy patterns and learn from your mistakes this game is still not as hardcore in difficulty as the reviewers are saying.
Old 2010-01-24, 09:07   Link #13
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I just started to play this game myself...but not playing this that much recently because there's a ton of test in my school that I must do this couple of month.

I use a templar, and it's pretty fun to watch the timing on when to guard, when to counter, and when to do a prempetive attack. But I'm still in the first dungeon, trying to find a way to run as fast as I could so that I won't get burned by that dragon flame >w<

Also, this is the first time that I use rational thinking when playing games. I mean --in some RPG games that I played--, when I found a strong enemy, I rather try to fight him as hard as I could until I find that it's impossible to beat it at my current level. In here, when I found a strong enemy or something that looks menancing....the thoughts of trying to fight them never crossed my mind.

It's just like in real life. When someone is pulling his gun at you, you will try to flee from rather try to fight him, right ? It's like...Demon Soul is a game that made me alive or something inside the game, and made me feel the emotion inside the game itself. It kinda mysterious lol, considering that I'm not actually good at game like this

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 12:31   Link #14
Vikitehwaffu

I agree that the difficulty is overrated. I was expecting like Ninja Gaiden hard, which I still haven't beat. Demon's souls is just being careful and trial and error.
Vikitehwaffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 16:48   Link #15
mokoufanatic
the immortal fire

dont take demon's souls lightly if you are careless you will get killed the trick is to use many different tactics there is no one way to beat all the enemies in the game most can be done the same way though ,and for all new players man eater boss of 2-2 will copy one more man eater totaling two man eaters at once have fun
Old 2010-01-25, 21:36   Link #16
plmko

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2 View Post
What everyone else has said still holds true though, it's not that difficult of a game as long as you take your time, you're careful and you don't start rushing in like a mad man. Too me as long as you stay focus, pay attention to the enemy patterns and learn from your mistakes this game is still not as hardcore in difficulty as the reviewers are saying.
True that the game is quite easy if you know what to do, such as using turpentine on the Tower Knight etc etc but isn't that part of the difficulty? The very fact that you have die in order to learn enemy weakness requires thought and strategy on the best equipment to take. Though with that said many bosses can be extremly hard even with the correct equipment such the Flamelurker. I still think he is way overpowered for the soul level your meant to beat him in. Its like the Flame ring and purple flame shield do nothing.

It wasn't all that long ago that I thought having armour was awesome till I discovered that having less armour makes you 100% faster Lol. But just finding these things is part of the experience which will bog the general player.
plmko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 23:48   Link #17
DingoEnderZOE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmko View Post
It wasn't all that long ago that I thought having armour was awesome till I discovered that having less armour makes you 100% faster Lol. But just finding these things is part of the experience which will bog the general player.
Ha ha yeah that's the one thing that threw me off my first time too, I was playing as a Knight and I thought the stronger the armor the better, but I discovered they drop your mobility by a ton so I stuck with the starting armor until I killed Garl Vinland and stole his armor.
Old 2010-01-26, 06:08   Link #18
mokoufanatic
the immortal fire

i have used the starting armor through half of the game and the current armor for the other half grabbing leather armor once i go on another soul run