AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-21, 09:01   Link #1
<xellos>
As a WHM I help people

Fansub Awards

i think we should try and organize some sort of fansub award thing type thing.

with the moderators as the academy or something, then they select a few ppl, and take the series that are being subbed by the most amount of groups, or maybe take a couple raws, put them up saying "any groups that want to join the awards sub this" then we have them judge each group on encoding, timing, font, translation, we can take different genres of anime, like naruto, yumeria, tsukihime, anywhere from funny/action to deep and mysterious, or even better, we have the groups submit them, kind of anonymously, like, send one person (maybe me) something that helps me know which sub is which, and have the moderaters do it not know which group is which so they will be totally impartial

i dont know about prizes...maybe something that appears everytime you post, or a special sticky thread that talks about all the winners, i just think it would be a cool idea
Old 2004-03-21, 09:49   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by <xellos>
Or we could leave the fansub groups alone and let them get on with the things they (hopefully) enjoy, that's fansubbing new episodes when they have the time and energy to do them.

Handing out awards will only bring arguments, bad feeling, extra work for all involved, and for what. The fansub groups know they've done a good job, why don't we just give thanks for the amount of time and effort they put in. Getting someone to fansub a special episode (which is what you seem to be suggesting) is going to be rather a waste and wouldn't always be a fair reflection on the 'run-of-the-mill' fansubs they regularly produce.

Trying to come to some 'agreement' as to what makes a good fansub or not will be bad enough. Many people have different ideas just what it takes, and who are we (the spectators) to say what's right or wrong (thinking of the 'Font' thread currently going on in this forum).

My view

OH BTW, moving thread into Fansub Groups (it was either there or General Anime)
Old 2004-03-21, 09:53   Link #3
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
or maybe take a couple raws, put them up saying "any groups that want to join the awards sub this" then we have them judge each group on encoding, timing, font, translation
Just to comment on that part: That defeats the purpose. Thy should judge the releases the groups put out on a regular basis, not one they make specifically to win a contest.

Now the whole idea: What's the point really? Even the "official" academy awards for the entertainment industry are pretty pointless to me.
Old 2004-03-21, 11:27   Link #4
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
This idea was actually brought up a while ago. At that time everyone agreed that there would really be no easy way of decideing who gets what award. People don't usually look at the group but rather the show they're subbing. So people wouldnt' give the groups who sub older titles much of a chance seeing as they aren't quite as popular as the newer shows such as "naruto."

Another point that I'd like to emphasize is that fansubs are not supposed to be competition. The goal of fansubs is for fans to subtitle things. Getting into a compettion is like getting into a competition over who is a bigger gundam fan. It's a complete and bloody waste of time.
Old 2004-03-21, 15:11   Link #5
bayoab

Quote:
This is just a disaster waiting to happen. Awards are just things to stroke people's ego's and the last thing fansubbers need is ego stroking. This actually might work if done like the rasberrys where the awards were given out to the WORST jobs. But then everyone will have to argue which is worst.
Old 2004-03-21, 18:08   Link #6
7thMethuselah

I think this is a very bad idea, we can allready judge the quality of a certain group based on the fansubs they are releasing allready at this moment. Besides forcing a group to do a certain epi of a series they might not like is gonna have an influence on the quality, also while voting most ppl will vote for groups they know from their favorite fansub group. These kinda things will only create arguments and flame wars...

Let's just leave the fansubbers be and be thankfull for all the work they do. If you really wanna award a group goto their site and use that PayPal donate button
Old 2004-03-22, 00:02   Link #7
Garylisk
Baka Neko!
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Garylisk Send a message via AIM to Garylisk Send a message via MSN to Garylisk Send a message via Yahoo to Garylisk
Oh yeah, bad idea. some groups need no more ego stroking, and other groups don't need to get into the glam section of fansubbing. Let's just leave it as this: We're thankful for the groups that sub the anime we like. We, the groups (At least the members of my group), are glad the fans like our work. And I think we all agree that it's a labor of love, and thus needs no reward other than the knowledge that people are watching and enjoying. Awards would just create bitter feelings and rivalries.
Old 2004-03-22, 02:46   Link #8
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Our goal is to bring anime to the american public
and we dont look for awards or recognition ..
..AND ANOTHER THIN IS FANSUBS ARE ILLEGAL AND WE CANNOT GET AWARDS
FOR DOING ILLEGAL THINGS
Old 2004-03-22, 03:51   Link #9
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Closing thread at the request of the original poster.
Closed Thread