Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-18, 19:54   Link #1
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Arlong Arc

Discuss! Arlong: worth 20 million? Marines are they corrupted? !
Old 2003-12-18, 20:43   Link #2
Vicious
merely a ghost

Send a message via ICQ to Vicious Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Another arc discussion topic that wasn't necessary IMO...

For some reason, I didn't like Arlong arc at all. All that sentimental history of Nami wasn't cool. And Arlong itself isn't a cool villain- he's a wuss who think his race is better than humans, and he understimates every enemy he fights. And he doesn't have a cool character design too. The only likeable character in this arc for me was Hatchi, he's funny
Old 2003-12-18, 21:14   Link #3
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
Another arc discussion topic that wasn't necessary IMO...

For some reason, I didn't like Arlong arc at all. All that sentimental history of Nami wasn't cool. And Arlong itself isn't a cool villain- he's a wuss who think his race is better than humans, and he understimates every enemy he fights. And he doesn't have a cool character design too. The only likeable character in this arc for me was Hatchi, he's funny
lol, RoktoRyu!

Hey when the OP newbs get here, they migh want to discuss it. Plus this forum needed some posts....
Old 2003-12-18, 22:25   Link #4
Ral
Idea!

I liked the Arlong arc. I liked how Arlong looked but, his moves were ok. Hatchi was great. I loved it when Zoro cut his hair. Seems angry at first then says its do big deal and that it'll grow back. Some good emotional moments with Nami past. I think the best part had to be Usopp vs. Chew. Usopp running away for about 2 episodes. Then him peaking out giving away were he was after Chew blew away all those trees. And the Usopp Hammer. That is one of my favorite scenes out of the whole series so far.
Old 2003-12-18, 23:07   Link #5
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

hrm I have to admit this was the worst arc I've seen so far, I just finished it too. I really liked zoros arc, and even usopps arc, don krieg was interesting but arlong was predictable. some parts were good (usopp and zoro), I don't find luffy that interesting they went a little too heavy on the drama and his invincible streak is getting too dbz/naruto. Yea there's something about this arc that made me wish I hadn't watch it
Old 2003-12-19, 00:20   Link #6
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterx
hrm I have to admit this was the worst arc I've seen so far, I just finished it too. I really liked zoros arc, and even usopps arc, don krieg was interesting but arlong was predictable. some parts were good (usopp and zoro), I don't find luffy that interesting they went a little too heavy on the drama and his invincible streak is getting too dbz/naruto. Yea there's something about this arc that made me wish I hadn't watch it
the fights were all great tho. Sanji's first fight, Ussop's actual fight, Zoro fight. OTher than Luffy these guy showed better fight scenes than the previous ones.
Old 2003-12-19, 01:10   Link #7
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Great arc, It was heavy on character development which I like! The fights were great and I never got tired with it at all. Thats why I like this series so much it has heavy character development for each character so you can really get attached to all of them. I also love the fights even though they can be a bit repitious (sp) at times.
The only dull arc to me has been the current one I'm watching which is Gunkan Island, but its all good since I love this series.

This series definetly tops Naruto for me and I love Naruto.
Old 2003-12-19, 13:05   Link #8
Jn183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ral
I liked the Arlong arc. I liked how Arlong looked but, his moves were ok. Hatchi was great. I loved it when Zoro cut his hair. Seems angry at first then says its do big deal and that it'll grow back. Some good emotional moments with Nami past. I think the best part had to be Usopp vs. Chew. Usopp running away for about 2 episodes. Then him peaking out giving away were he was after Chew blew away all those trees. And the Usopp Hammer. That is one of my favorite scenes out of the whole series so far.
Yeah, that one of my favorite part about this arc. Also, when Nami cry and ask Luffy for help. That got the soft side of me. Oh yeah, Nami stabbing her left arm like 8times. I was like noooooooo dont' stab yourself where is that damn Luffy not stopping her.
Old 2003-12-25, 11:46   Link #9
BladeMasterZing

awesome

Its this arc that got me hooked to one piece.

I dont really watch one piece till i seen this arc on TV and i was hooked to One piece ever since.
Old 2003-12-26, 00:18   Link #10
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Send a message via ICQ to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via AIM to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via MSN to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via Yahoo to OFFSPRiNGCo16
I thought the arc was ok, decent, and nothing more. Although I have to say I did enjoy it, especially the Luffy Arlong fight. Enjoyed that fully.
Old 2004-03-10, 16:19   Link #11
Nyssane
Mohji Fanboi

Send a message via AIM to Nyssane Send a message via MSN to Nyssane
I -loved- the Arlong arc. It was definitely my favorite arc, just because I love drama. The development of Nami was extremely crucial for her character, and she was very unlikable during the first few arcs. This arc actually made me like her, though. ^_^

Bellemeyer was a great character, and it's strange to see a female character like her in a shonen, but very welcome. Nojiko and Gensa were also very good characters, and I liked them lots. ^_^ Arlong was just...evil, and he was a villain that you love to hate. His lackeys didn't have much personality (except for Hatchan maybe), but they didn't really need it. They kicked ass! I especially liked Chuu, because he's so cuuuute! *pinches his lips*

The fight scenes were awesome. Hatchan, while bubbly and lightheaded, proved to be a match for Zoro, but that was my least favorite out of the battles. Sanji vs. Kuroobi was really neat, but Sanji stayed underwater for a REEEEALLY long time, hehe. But, it was good to see him kick the crap out of Kuroobi. And I really liked Usopp's realization that he needs to fight for what he believes in, and even though Chuu beat the snot out of him, he still survived and managed to defeat his first enemy!
Old 2004-03-10, 17:18   Link #12
Sethi
StormRider

This arc is my favorite in the anime thus far, i'm waiting for them to reach Alabasta.
The arc has everything, Emotion, Drama, Comedy, Action, it was a necessary arc for Nami character and for the interaction of the entire crew, it was in this arc that Nami began believing in Luffy and in the entire crew and it was also in this arc that she really joined the crew.
Also it was in this arc that we confirm that Zoro is really the most Badass think on earth he was fighting Hatchi and then Arlong almost sliced in half, the fight between Luffy and Arlong is good, and it's the first time we see Ussop fighting a serious enemy.
Old 2004-03-10, 18:56   Link #13
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bushido
lol, RoktoRyu!

Hey when the OP newbs get here, they migh want to discuss it. Plus this forum needed some posts....
Did someone call me?

Hmmm Arlong looked pretty lame (character design), but i thought surely he's gonna have some cool attacks ... but no ... he's just strong and he bites, his only technique was the headbutt :/. I had high hopes for this character but he turned out to be quite disapointing.

As for the storyline it was ok. It got me to like Nami which was cool for me . It irritates me when i don't like a character on the 'goodguys' team (@#$%^& Sakura!)
Old 2004-03-10, 19:35   Link #14
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

This arc for me can best be summed up with one quote.

"Luffy, help me!"

That scene had the most impact on me in the arc. Other than that, it probably wasnt as great as some people make it out. I thought the fight with Don Krieg was better.
Old 2004-03-11, 09:52   Link #15
soraryu

This arc clearly illustrates Zoro's determination to be the number one swordsman. His will-power made a huge impression on me (when his injuries threatens to overwhelm him).

Sanji showed off his really cool kicks in this arc as well.

As for Usopp, it's telling that even Usopp can defeat a stronger opponent once he'd focus his resolve upon it.
Old 2004-03-31, 10:41   Link #16
Time_Break

How could anyone not love Arlong's character design? He's a giant saw-nosed shark-man wearing a siberian hat, a hawaian shirt, and FLIP-FLOPS. You gotta at LEAST give points for originality.

And as for the arc itself...it was absolutely incredible. I laughed, I cried (but they were manly tears! 1% water, 1% salt, 98% testosterone!), I loved it. It was filled with great dramatic moments and great action moments, it was filled with great secondary characters like Genzo and Hatchi, it was filled with character develoment, and it actually gave Nami a justification for being so damned greedy. Up until then, I thought she was just a bi---....um, bad person.

All in all, I loved it, and I really think it helped elevate the series to a whole new level of greatness. Also, I'm not sure why, but episode 41 is always the episode I get someone to watch when I need to convince them to start watching the show. And after seeing that, they're always convinced to go back and watch the rest of the series, up to 41, and then beyond.
Closed Thread