AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Old 2010-01-25, 15:26   Link #141
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
Looking at it they already had a working build of it but with Alicia reworked as a Scout when the Empire attack what appears to be Bruhl.
I figure that they reworked it because it made more sense for her to be an Infantry character than a Tank's gunner - though, would Valkyria still appeared?

Quote:
Oscar and Emile are residents who take up arms - look like flint lock muskets! - to fight back the invaders.
I just got the mental image of that movie set in Belarus about a bunch of Jews fighting off the Germans, and eventually getting help from the Red Army. I forget what it was called.

Quote:
Another series of shots shows the climax of Welkin and Alicia getting married on the tank...
You think you could submit some of this 'Gallian Panzers' stuff? My mental image of the Proto-Edelweiss is basically the SdKfz. 252 with the Sturmpanzer-IV's mortar.

Also, that also seems like it would look like a great picture - did Alicia still have the headscarf back then?

Quote:
The cover of the Development Arts is great too. All the characters are present with different Gallian weapons and then when you look at the inside rear flap you see Jane with the Ruhm help off the hip... Cool stuff.
She is heavy weapons girl - and that is her weapon! (sorry, couldn't help it).

Really, I'd like to get my hands on 'Gallian Panzers' - if only to see the differences between it and SnV/VC - I just imagined the American/European version published by CDV as "Codename: Panzers: Gallian Front". Cookie for the first to guess the game series they would have inserted it into.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 16:09   Link #142
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Somebody put some camera pics from the 400-page artbook and (man!) this is quite something.

http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/m...b/Artbooks/VC/

If I wasn't broke, I'd try looking for that book. But since I don't, I hope I'll get my luck differently because there is so much visual stuff in there which can give me inspiration for new artworks.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2010-01-25 at 16:34. Reason: misplaced 2 words *hides in shame*
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 16:22   Link #143
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Somebody some put camera pics from the 400-page artbook and (man!) this is quite something.

If I wasn't broke, I'd try looking for that book. But since I don't, I hope I'll get my luck differently because there is so much visual stuff in there which can give me inspiration for new artworks.
Is that... holy crap in a bottle, Proto-Alicia had a blue headscarf?

Not only that, but her current red one went through a couple design phases, too. Perhaps, if I ever draw Battlefield Gallia art, I could work the Proto's blue headscarf in as a version orded by Hitler (colored a dark gray, of course).
Old 2010-01-25, 16:45   Link #144
Runty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Somebody put some camera pics from the 400-page artbook and (man!) this is quite something.

Wow, Proto-Alicia looks great. If anything, I like the Proto design a bit more than Alicia's final design. It's the red hair.

Proto-Welkin's designs make him look a bit more badass, but I guess toning it down did some good, so that Welkin was made more realistic. I don't have a preference either way.

I'm pretty sure this isn't all of it. I hope the guy puts up more pictures.
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 18:37   Link #145
Snowman24

Dang...I WANT!! that book!!...but I'm poor, student loans to pay, new car needed for school, $1,800 laptop recently bought...and Valkyria Chronicles 2+PSP need saving for...dang...
Snowman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 19:32   Link #146
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

awesomez! amazon still hasn't shipped mine T_T waah should have ordered earlier >.<
i'd offer to help fund you guys, but im a bit strapped this month >_>

proto-alicia does look interesting
in the other artbook that shipped with pre-order copies of the game they mentioned how much trouble designing alicia was...i can see now xD at least 4 pages of developement works haha

omg! they show untextured models! need!

this looks really cool o.o looks like they also considered adding neko/inu chars any idea what it says? xD

and welkin looks considerably less noob in some of these i really like some of the previous uniform colour schemes

waah hurry up and ship >_>
SoggySoyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 21:26   Link #147
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Digging further (and it seems like they did take a while getting Alicia down), it seems that a small army of Proto-Alicias exist - ranging from different hairstyles (and as Runty pointed out, she was at one point in time a redhead), down to different headdress (ranging from alternate headscarfs, ribbons, garrison caps, etc.). An interesting note is that a near stasis was retained on her bangs (the hair covering her forehead).

Welkin also went through stages (my favorite being the green/gray camo pattern - so East German/Red Army-ish.), though the garrison cap is present in all of them (given, though, it's a staple of low-level officers such as Lieutenants), and various other versions. Oddly enough my favorite of these variations is bulkiest (Hint-Hint, RST's favorite faction in the Red Alert games is the bulky Soviets).
Old 2010-01-25, 22:33   Link #148
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
I for one love the final versions; maybe it's just because I've played the game for so long or not but still.

I will give kudos to an early game build of Alicia with short, neck height hair. Very pretty.

I'll post some digicam shots of "Gallian Panzers" tonight.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 22:52   Link #149
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
I for one love the final versions; maybe it's just because I've played the game for so long or not but still.
Well, it isn't like the clothing would have changed the character (though, the Garrison Cap Alicia did seem to be as emotive as Anime Alicia.)

Quote:
I will give kudos to an early game build of Alicia with short, neck height hair. Very pretty.
This Statement Endorsed By the RST. Though, that could be a more 'mature' Alicia down the line at VC3 or 4 (assuming she even appears). Letting my imagination combine prototypes produces some interesting images.

Quote:
I'll post some digicam shots of "Gallian Panzers" tonight.
I'd also like to see GP released in some form down the line - perhaps, in about ten years, with "Valkyria Chronicles: The First Decade," if that happens (and if it does I will squee like a fangirl.)
Old 2010-01-25, 22:54   Link #150
DC20

With the slight exception of Alicia's red hair (<3) I agree that the finals are much better. Especially Welkin. His concept art looks very... generic. That anime hair was crap (not that he doesn't have the hair now, but at least it was toned down in the final).

I did like some of the uniforms though. Looking through some of the concept pieces it looks like some of them could have been used for winter gear (especially that one Red pointed out).
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 23:54   Link #151
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

I guess I'm the only one who prefers Alicia as a brunette. D: Oh well. It does, however, seem like they toyed with the shoulder-length hair for a while - on the third image with Alicia's prototypical designs, a fair amount of the images on the left side have her with the same short haircut. (I've also noted on the PS3 discussion thread, about the making of a VC/Red Alert crossover mod, the use of one of the Proto-Alicias as a multiplayer replacement for the 'real' Alicia.)

A good point by DC on some of Welkin's proto designs - looking at the one I pointed out (The green/gray pattern), it could be used and adapted as a winter pattern - in that respect, it is unfortunate the game didn't continue into the winter months, if only to see how things would change.
Old 2010-01-26, 04:17   Link #152
cloner4000

The long haired, non headscarf Alicia looks like a completely different character to me, although she is quite cute actually. But the final version wins a little bit I guess, they should have used the design for one of the other squad members though.
cloner4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 06:01   Link #153
Chrono Helix

Is this the cover + inside flaps fully opened up?
http://ameblo.jp/val-log/image-10418...351801240.html
Would make an awesome poster.
Old 2010-01-26, 06:08   Link #154
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono Helix View Post
Is this the cover + inside flaps fully opened up?
http://ameblo.jp/val-log/image-10418...351801240.html
Would make an awesome poster.
Yeah that's it. And it would make a great poster. Plenty of details that you can't possibly see them all the first time you look. Every time I've reached for my book I've noticed something new.

Here is most of the section of "Gallian Panzers/Stories". Only missed two pages that weren't very interesting. It looks to me that they actually had a working build of this early concept.

Spoiler for Gallian Panzers:

And oh God I'd kill for posters of the two Welkin and Alicia images on the left page here;

Old 2010-01-26, 08:17   Link #155
Chrono Helix

Alicia looks really cute here.

And here she makes me think of one of the Love Plus girls.
Old 2010-01-26, 13:48   Link #156
cloner4000

Ahh..thanks for the posting..Star Ocean 4 can wait, but can't wait for the artbook...definitely going to get it.
cloner4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 17:36   Link #157
Seqi

That artbook looks awesome. I'd have no problem paying the £30 for it from eBay, but the extra £20 shipping is putting me off. I'll definately pick it up if i can either find cheaper shipping elsewhere, or have the money to spare. That's just too awesome to pass up.
Seqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 21:04   Link #158
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

thank you all for the pics/links!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seqi View Post
That artbook looks awesome. I'd have no problem paying the £30 for it from eBay, but the extra £20 shipping is putting me off. I'll definately pick it up if i can either find cheaper shipping elsewhere, or have the money to spare. That's just too awesome to pass up.
amazon finally shipped it, cost me a total of £46.99 not sure how much shiping'll cost you though it was 3800 not 3990 jpy when i bought it with 3000 jpy shipping
(site viewable in english)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10105954 they seem to be sold out for now and play-asia's prices are inflated. think some non-english vendor's were posted earlier

i haven't seen many posters or wallpapers...i want to try making some xD eh too bad i don't have the proper equipment to...
SoggySoyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 21:25   Link #159
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Yeah I pre-ordered mine off Hobby Link when I nearly had kittens at PlayAsia's pricing.

It was alright off HLJ until they sent an email telling me the item had been sent and that postage was nearly as much as the damn book... But I had it within three buisness days.

EMS postage never ceases to amaze me. I can EMS goods from Hong Kong and Japan quicker than I can domestically express post from one side of Australia to the other.

Old 2010-01-27, 07:49   Link #160
Revan21

That artbook really does look great
Too bad I can't read japanese so I wouldn't have any use for it besides looking at the artworks