AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-07-11, 07:33   Link #21
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Unfortunately, due to me having various hobbies (and also the fact, anime/manga isn't my prime hobby anymore), I only tend to buy local releases, has to be bluray and has to be something I REALLY enjoyed. At the last anime con (was more of a pop culture convention, but with a large anime component) I bought a bunch of classic Ghibli movies that were remastered in Bluray that were on sale (like $15 each), Usagi Drop ($30) and the 3 volumes of Madoka Magica which totaled $50. There's a bunch of titles I'm still waiting for will give "reasonable prices".

Otherwise, I still buy manga on a bulk basis about once or twice a year ... mainly of the shojo or josei demography ... I'm such a girl!

Limited money is my biggest factor in trying to support the anime industry. I will never buy those overpriced Japanese imports
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 07:50   Link #22
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

if you can afford to import anime DVD/BluRay from japan then that is the best way, along with buying their anime merchandises

if you got less money then buying legal anime DVD/BluRay on your local stores is good

if you got only few money to spare then a crunchyroll subscription will support the anime companies too

if you got no money at all then discussing about anime on forums/etc will improve the interest of potential buyers more, and also making MAD/AMV videos to promote anime will be good to increase interest for portential buyers, also if you got deviantart just vector or make good drawings of your favorite anime that is another way to promote them and again increase interest of potential buyers, even making sigs will do too
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 10:11   Link #23
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanuigi View Post
But now that I have a bit of income now for spare use and I'm looking to buy more anime related stuff like DVDs and other collectibles. Any particular sites anyone here particularly uses for buying?
Might I suggest browsing this sticky thread at the top of this forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Soundtracks are another good option. No sub concerns, and you generally hear stuff not in the show itself.
That's been one of my strategies for supporting shows that I know have no hope of getting an R1 release. I find Ootake Kaoruku's score for Bartender goes well with driving.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 14:17   Link #24
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Well, of course, but what good is a Japanese BR to someone who doesn't speak Japanese? Even an item as attractive to me as the BD box of Apothecary stories by Nakamura Kenji isn't going to make me part with $300+ if I can't understand what is being said.
Quote:
Just curious, but how many of you who collect Japanese BDs, etc., have families? Hobbies are nice, but it's hard to justify spending hundreds of dollars on anime and anime collectibles when you've got other more pressing needs like paying the rent and putting food on the table.

If you can do both, then more power to you. As for me, I've got college tuition bills to pay.
I only buy the subtitled ones.

It's possible to buy a few titles and have a family. ($100 a month [locally bought] and the rest to your family).

Last edited by bhl88; 2012-07-11 at 14:39.
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 18:13   Link #25
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Best ways to Support Anime Industry?

Buy the originals..... Dvds, mangas, LVs, figs, posters, T-shirts, Mugs, coloring book etc.

Attend conventions in your places, not necessarily do cosplay.

Join forums like Animesuki....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 19:36   Link #26
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
I only buy the subtitled ones.

It's possible to buy a few titles and have a family. ($100 a month [locally bought] and the rest to your family).
I buy R1 releases, too. My comments were directed toward buying the JP releases where two-episode discs can often cost $50 or more. Volume 1 of the BD release for Madoka contains three episodes and costs about US$70. Just that one series alone would run just under $300 for twelve episodes. The R1 release runs about $120 unless you want the "limited edition."
Old 2012-07-12, 00:02   Link #27
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
My comments were directed toward buying the JP releases where two-episode discs can often cost $50 or more. Volume 1 of the BD release for Madoka contains three episodes and costs about US$70. Just that one series alone would run just under $300 for twelve episodes.
Actually, it's worse than that. Each volume contains 2 episodes, so 6 discs. So just the discs alone (at Amazon discount) would be $420 + shipping (which, if you buy in some amount of quantity, would average out to about $5-$8 per disc -- if you don't buy in quantity, you could pay a lot more than that). A two-cour show is anywhere from 8-13 discs (usually 8 or 9), and the per disc could be a bit higher if it's 3 eps/disc.

So yeah... without any doubt, it's unreasonably expensive compared to all local entertainment. They're very expensive keepsakes.
Old 2012-07-12, 14:55   Link #28
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

If you want to support the *SOURCE* of anime production, buy the swag from Japan. Figures, music CDs, posters, keychains, etc. from places like cdjapan.co.jp, hlj.com, rightstuf.com.

Unless the R1 license gives the producer a cut of the sales, then sales of R1 videos only benefit the R1 distributor (which does mean they're more likely to license more products though). The streaming sites.. the same problem - unless the producer gets a cut of each subscription then you're really only benefiting Crunchyroll. I'm not saying don't buy R1 DVDs or subscriptions - just that you're not necessarily helping the industry inside Japan all that much.

I usually don't buy the 'japanese original dvd/blu-ray' for the reasons relentlessflame lists. But I have purchased, for example, the K-On! live concert Blu-ray discs and I have a large collection of japan-released music CDs (OSTs, character song CDs, etc). I also collect the figures (1/8, 1/6, gashapon, etc) of specific series I've enjoyed.
Old 2012-07-12, 17:54   Link #29
Warm Mist

How much of this money actually goes to the animators/voice actors/bg artists that actually create the thing we watch?

As far as I've read on some blogs, none. If that's true, is there a way to support them, and not the producers and retailers that only pour capital into the thing?
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 19:54   Link #30
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sadly, very little actually gets to the voice actors, animators, etc in comparison to that which their "overlords" get... so they tend to thrive on people's personal thanks and fandom (the voice actors in particular).
Old 2012-07-12, 19:59   Link #31
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergal View Post
How much of this money actually goes to the animators/voice actors/bg artists that actually create the thing we watch?

As far as I've read on some blogs, none. If that's true, is there a way to support them, and not the producers and retailers that only pour capital into the thing?
Depending on the show, directors and writers might get royalties.

Nevertheless, the idea behind support is that profitable productions mean continued employment for people in the industry. We support them by giving the producers a reason to make more anime.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 20:19   Link #32
Warm Mist

Continued employment, but of what kind? I've read some things about how this industry works and if they aren't outdated or inaccurate, it's a pretty shitty job, especially for inbetweeners and clean-up animators. Some KAs and other staff like the sound crew or the writers are in better economic positions, but it's still a low-end job compared to the huge money the industry supposedly moves.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 20:26   Link #33
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Unless the R1 license gives the producer a cut of the sales, then sales of R1 videos only benefit the R1 distributor (which does mean they're more likely to license more products though).
Right when we buy US R1 releases I don't think any of that money goes directly to Japan but the R1 companies have to pay some sort of licensing fee to Japan so Japan does get money that way.

The R1 companies are essentially the middle man for us.

I guess in theory if we buy the series we like from the R1 companies they would license more of those type of series and in that sense the Japanese companies do get money from those sales, it's just in an indirect way. It's the R1 companies giving them the money not us.

Not really sure how it works with American subsidiaries of Japanese companies though.
Old 2012-07-12, 21:55   Link #34
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Nah. The minimum license fee goes to the NA distributors I guess. Any extra is paid as royalty to the Japanese company.
Old 2012-07-12, 22:11   Link #35
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Nah. The minimum license fee goes to the NA distributors I guess. Any extra is paid as royalty to the Japanese company.
I am not sure if I quite understand but what NA companies paid Japanese companies to license certain properties were pretty hefty.

Now that the bubble has burst in NA I am not sure if those licensing fees would be quite as high these days but Japanese companies do make something from the US anime companies essentially buying the rights to sell the series over here.

I expect Japanese companies make more money off of that than royalties since a lot of series don't even sell that well here. Although that is just for BR/DVD, not sure how streaming works.

For the record this is a list of licensing costs for various ADV series.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...icensing-Costs
Old 2012-07-12, 22:23   Link #36
TJR

Quote:
Minimum guarantees are paid by the local distributor to the Japanese producers. Once the distributor has recouped that cost, royalties are paid on additional sales. Stronger R1 sales mean more money to the licensor, although it's true that certain companies have failed to meet their MG payments.

Streaming is somewhat similar in that the amount of money paid to the licensor depends on the number of views.

Quote:
Continued employment, but of what kind? I've read some things about how this industry works
Can't argue there. Industry conditions are bad, and as consumers, we can't do a whole lot.

Quote:
if they aren't outdated or inaccurate, it's a pretty shitty job, especially for inbetweeners and clean-up animators.
I doubt the information is outdated or inaccurate. There are many people working in low paid positions. Most don't stay for long, and unless they go the extra mile to develop their skills and differentiate themselves, they have little hope of advancement.

However, surveys are skewed because higher paid animators are less inclined to respond to them. As some have mentioned, they would never have stuck around if their yearly incomes were as low as suggested. No one gets rich working as animators, but some do well enough to avoid working all year round and to be choosy in terms of projects.

Quote:
but it's still a low-end job compared to the huge money the industry supposedly moves.
Does anime on its own represent enough money to change the situation? It would be different if the publishing companies (manga, light novel, etc.) and original authors gave anime studios a cut on increased sales of their products (after all, adaptations are often commissioned to promote said products). However, that's obviously not going to happen.

Last edited by TJR; 2012-07-12 at 23:15.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 03:29   Link #37
Tammuz

Actually buy the shit instead of torrenting it?

Heh, like that'll happen.
Tammuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 08:11   Link #38
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
For the record this is a list of licensing costs for various ADV series.
If you ever wondered why ADV had to re-organize, looking at that list of licensing fees they paid will tell you a lot. Just under a million dollars for Kurau: Phantom Memory? Fees like that are now just a "phantom memory" in the minds of the Japanese production committees.
Old 2012-07-13, 09:19   Link #39
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammuz View Post

At least feel guilty about it!

If you can buy stuff, please do. If you can't buy a lot, or can't buy anything at all, that's okay, but please buy what you can.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 12:34   Link #40
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammuz View Post

The thread topic was "how to best support the anime industry".

In some cases, it doesn't make sense to buy the series because it isn't licensed in your region. That doesn't mean one can't buy the swag -- figures, CDs, manga, light novels, posters, etc. As long as it isn't bootleg - those profits also go to the producing companies.

It is pretty simple - no money, no anime will happen. As long as there's a *patron* class who spends enough money on the art/performance, the *peanut gallery* (leechers) get some benefit as well. But there has to BE patronage by sufficient numbers of people or the entertainment vanishes.

I think the best ethical rule of thumb is to buy what you can when you can. If you're a teenager, you're unlikely to have the funds to buy much just like you can't afford to go to the concert. If you're a 20-something programmer making 50K euros a year... you can probably afford to visit www.cdjapan.co.jp or www.hlj.com and pick up a few trinkets.