AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 93 45.81%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 58 28.57%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 36 17.73%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 5.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.99%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-01, 05:28   Link #41
Wrath88
Kissing...

Now, the thing I like about this series is that it gets me riled up on my favorite 3 activities with animes series:
1. Mindless enjoyment
Amazing rocket propulsion. Testament to NPC's idiocy that they don't check underneath their own chair afterwards. The suggestion for some of those answers were gold.
2. Plot prediction
Given the behavior of the NPC's in contrast to the new Student President, it certainly makes you think that he's not an NPC. Plot is certainly moving forward now that an important factor (Tenshi's presidency) has changed.
3. Finding inconsistencies
Fact 1: The appearance of Guild shows that they have been fighting for many years.
Fact 2: From the way Yuri talks about the test period, they have been going through it many times as well
Inconsistency: Yet she thinks up this 'switch the exam' idea only now? I know she said that 'we're idiots', but she's shown enough cunning to NOT miss a chance to harass Tenshi.
Theory: Given how Otonashi is remembering his exam material, I'm thinking that the school goes through a reset, leaving those inside with vague memories of the past cycles.
Old 2010-05-01, 05:28   Link #42
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
One thing has being bugging me big time, why can't they shoot the normal students? Pretty sure they would regen too.
Old 2010-05-01, 05:30   Link #43
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Because they're innocent. It's like soldiers fighting in a war. Now they're not even sure of Kanade herself.

Also, I think someone's getting a little JEALOUS of her... aheheheheh.
Old 2010-05-01, 05:32   Link #44
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Awesome ep, best yet. First part was hilarious with slow-motion replays among others. I also love the animation during the music scenes, so damn fluid, showing off personality among the band members, not simply being passive.

I'm quite glad Kanade didn't turn out to be a papercut, cold quiet doll as the first impression is also. Of course, I'd still love her even for that. Yuri starts to get on my nerves but who knows what future eps has in store...

Old 2010-05-01, 05:51   Link #45
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Thats it, i am in love tenshi errr tachibana kanade! anyone else with me? man that scene where kanade got stripped from her position, her first disappointed look at losing her ticket and when otonashi thought how lonely she is..

its just so sad man : (
Old 2010-05-01, 05:57   Link #46
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

This actually makes me think that there may be something else between Yuri and Kanade we don't know about.
Old 2010-05-01, 06:04   Link #47
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Besides the obvious humanization of Tenshi/Kanade which was really well done (all she wanted was mapo ), probably the biggest thing for me in this episode is of course Otonashi thinking about Kanade and... well am I the only one seeing the Otonashi-Kanade connection? I have to hand it to Maeda Jun, he does the same character (sub)types a lot in his stories (Kanade for this series) and yet he still manages to pull it off every damn time while pulling your heartstrings in the process.

As for the story itself well Yuri has made it clear the very distinct possibility that Kanade's also human and perhaps simply has a belief system radically different from theirs, and not only because she was the student council president.

The next episode looks like it'll be plot and drama heavy.
Old 2010-05-01, 06:20   Link #48
farios

A very good episode i'll give this episode 10/10 if only they can make Angel's suffering be much more intense not just eating tofu in the dark all alone.

Angel's character can be seen in this episode she just wanted to be a good student council president and protect the school's law, she is not an angel just an ordinary student council president.

And i do think that Angel and Naoi is not an NPC, but that makes another problem if they're an ordinary dead humans like Yuri and the others, then wouldn't that means that they are supposed to disappear when they follow the school's laws? Are they some kind of "system administrator"?

Anyway like i said before great episode 9.3/10
Old 2010-05-01, 07:18   Link #49
Kristen
*Author

My general impressions:

OP - Why the hell is this lagging so badly? (It's my broken fan)
First 5 minutes - Is this just going to be a formulaistic show?
Next 5 - Come on, Key, we did the act of everyone getting made a fool of. It loses its impact.
Last 10 - OK, so this actually IS going to get serious
Post-ED - O.O

I think next week is Key's real chance to regain the momentum I think they lost from episode 4 and the start of this episode. It's really time for this to get into the romantic middle and start tragedy.

8.5/10 for potential, rounded down to 8 because I don't think this deserves a 9.
Old 2010-05-01, 07:34   Link #50
hai_san

3 times rocket chair in slow motion replay + music = pure win
2 times the "Stop fighting" shout from Yurippe joke with Otonashi explaining to Angel = lame

Conclusion of this ep Tenshi/Angel/Kanade Tachibana is my favorite female char even before Yurippe which drops in the ranking for me.
Old 2010-05-01, 07:42   Link #51
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

1-15 minutes = full with funny situation
15 - end = feel that Yuri is devilish.... ugh! I feel sorry for Kanade

Can't wait for the next episode... maybe Kanade will help them
Old 2010-05-01, 07:56   Link #52
~Fancy Tea~

I loved this episode~ it was so funny ^^ very good and I so feel for kanade too~ perhaps she was actually protecting them all along what with the new student council and all at the end, but I still dont understand why yuri wants to fight against everything, to me thats not really clear maybe it'll be shown in the future episodes. 10/10 for me~ :3
Old 2010-05-01, 07:59   Link #53
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

10/10

Have nothing to complain about this time.

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

Old 2010-05-01, 08:06   Link #54
Wrath88
Kissing...

I know some people say the jokes are repetitive, which it is, of course, but it seems like its meant to hit us over the head with the fact that everything in this world is unchanging.

Or am I overimagining it?
Old 2010-05-01, 08:09   Link #55
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

So far this is my favorite episode. I find myself liking Kanade more after watching it.

Old 2010-05-01, 08:11   Link #56
Nanashiki

This episode is great because Tenshi (Tachibana Kanade) actually is depicted as a normal human student.

She told Otonashi her name innocently, only to have the gang sabotaged her test answer sheet.

Also, it's kinda sad to picture Kanade sitting in a corner, enjoying her Mapo Tofu.

The episodes are getting better, mixing drama + comedy each episode while keeping the story going.
Old 2010-05-01, 08:29   Link #57
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

The comedy in the first half was hilarious. The repeating of Yuri shouting is unnecessary through, but it's within KEY's formula , i guess. (Takamatsu's secret was a real surprised)

It was sad to look at Tenshi (Tachibana Kanade) this episode. Actually if we think more about it, she has always been lonely like that. This event just allow us audiences to actually realize it.

I don't like how some of us start to resent Yurippe through. If she was the first to rebel. The time it take her to collect such large group of people (especially the "Guild")and become their trusted leader would be several years at least. Her history fighting with Kanade has been long. And based on SSS members reaction about the possibility that Kanade may join them, i will say we are in Otonashi' shoes only. That's why we can so easily feel sympathy and head-over-heel to Kanade.

In fact, Yurippe was sensitive enough to acknowledge the possibly change in Kanade's emotion instead of keep up with their ignorance. I bet none of us would even notice Kanade's food choice and analyse over it like the way Yurippe did
Old 2010-05-01, 08:48   Link #58
Ryalynn

Nice episode, Yuri obviously expected something bigger at the end, is she even feeling some remorse for Kanade? At least now Otonashi can comfort her.

Spoiler for Next episode is so predictable::
Old 2010-05-01, 08:53   Link #59
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I don't like how some of us start to resent Yurippe through. If she was the first to rebel. The time it take her to collect such large group of people (especially the "Guild")and become their trusted leader would be several years at least. Her history fighting with Kanade has been long. And based on SSS members reaction about the possibility that Kanade may join them, i will say we are in Otonashi' shoes only. That's why we can so easily feel sympathy and head-over-heel to Kanade.

In fact, Yurippe was sensitive enough to acknowledge the possibly change in Kanade's emotion instead of keep up with their ignorance. I bet none of us would even notice Kanade's food choice and analyse over it like the way Yurippe did
I would have to agree that some people are being a little hard on Yuri she's just a victim of he own short sightedness hardly wroth the death wishes people have been giving her. Also if you think about this episode sets thing up for a epic team up with Yuri and Kanade taking on the new student council president.

Oh was I the only one who saw a hint of envy in Yuri's face when she saw Otonashi and Kanade talking so casually together...I smell love triangle!

OMG! Why did I just say that now there will be yet another shiper war!
Old 2010-05-01, 08:59   Link #60
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
Oh was I the only one who saw a hint of envy in Yuri's face when she saw Otonashi and Kanade talking so casually together...I smell love triangle!
I'd think this will be a major plotpoint to wrap up the show.