AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-12-21, 02:26   Link #21
Cracknut
The Village Idiot

I saw the 1981 version produced by Toei which was distributed by ZIV international. I lost my copy over five years ago. I wish I had it back.
Cracknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-25, 00:43   Link #22
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan View Post
Max laughs/rage if:
Javert becomes a Keystone Kops-style comedic relief villain.
Javert becomes an evil bishounen.
I think I'd laugh and cry at the same time. They didn't make Valjean a biseinen, though, so I'm not worried. Well, I am, but not more than I was before.
Old 2007-01-06, 01:28   Link #23
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
I think I'd laugh and cry at the same time. They didn't make Valjean a biseinen, though, so I'm not worried. Well, I am, but not more than I was before.
Actually, looking at the website, they seem to be attempting to be very, very faithful to the descriptions in the book. Valjean is very much a square-jawed, kind-eyed gentleman; they've gone with blond hair for Cosette, but that's probably to link her more closely to her mother visually; Thenardier is spindly and loves his army coat, and his wife is a bear of a woman; Eponine (at the start at least) looks almost patrician, as does her sister (!); Gavroche is the essense of "cute street urchin kid"; and do you remember the description of Javert from the book?

Quote:
Granted the supposition that in every man there is contained a species of the animal kingdom, we may at once place Inspector Javert. The Asturian peasents believe that in every wolf-litter there is a dog-whelp which the mother kills, because otherwise when it grows larger it will devour the rest of her young. Endow this dog with a human face, and you have Javert.

Yeah, I'd say that comes pretty close to matching the book's facial description. Even if the initial promo images don't include his infamous grey overcoat.

That said,
Spoiler for second half of the Les Mis story:

Also, I hope folks noticed what I did there. I know the book is approaching two centuries old and the musical's been in production longer than some posters on this forum have been alive; regardless, there's a pretty decent chance that a fair few posters who are not familiar with the story, espeically the novel, will be joining this thread when the subs hit the torrents, and especially since the series seems to be following the novels fairly closely and thus will have quite a few details that were not even in the musical, I'd request that folks spoiler parts of the story that haven't aired yet. I know I'd be disappointed if folks spoiled the reason Thenardier wears his army coat, or spoiled precisely what Valjean did to make him a wanted man and how he was put on his current path. Also remember, it looks like the story starts around the time Valjean comes to "rescue" Cosette from the Thenardiers; meaning, quite a bit of what happened previously with Valjean may be an unknown to new viewers, depending on how much the first episode flashes back. So please, please be careful with what you spoil and post in this thread once the series goes to subs.

And seeing as how episode one will be hitting the airwaves in about... thirty hours, by my watch, this is going to become an issue very soon. I'm looking forward to this, but let's be considerate for new viewers, hmm?
SpaceDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 07:02   Link #24
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Looks like it's begin's
*Link Deleted*

Last edited by IchiKyo; 2007-01-07 at 12:28. Reason: RAW is Out and Toua have post comment with Screencaps :)
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 08:04   Link #25
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
It's.... not very appealing to my eyes. Ugh...
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 08:07   Link #26
nekodar
AC, NLA, HnK staff

I need to get my grubby paws on the raw :3
nekodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 11:42   Link #27
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
just watched this and for some reason i keep imagining Cossette as becky >.<

Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 11:59   Link #28
cyth
Banned

Watched episode 01.
Spoiler:
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 12:30   Link #29
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
Thanks Toua, I read you comment and i think i will like this series
Even if i love the "Les Misérables" Book
Old 2007-01-07, 14:50   Link #30
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Hmm, so nobody's picked this up for subtitling yet, then?

I'll probably check the raw anyway, even though I'll barely understand a word of it. And remember that Cosette will probably be a little heavy on the moé~ at first simply because she's so young at this point in the story. Even in the novel she's a kind of "Victorian moé".

And as for that novel spoiler... well, I don't address it directly, but let's just say Fantine is eventually led down a very unhappy path. I'm going to be interested in just how graphic the series is willing to become to depict everything that happens to Fantine.
Old 2007-01-07, 16:24   Link #31
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDrake View Post
And as for that novel spoiler... well, I don't address it directly, but let's just say Fantine is eventually led down a very unhappy path. I'm going to be interested in just how graphic the series is willing to become to depict everything that happens to Fantine.
thats very sad but really she is a bit naive ~ i mean...
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 17:32   Link #32
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Spoiler:

And blah, the only raw link I could find crapped out on me. Is nobody picking this up for sub-love at all?
Old 2007-01-07, 18:16   Link #33
monir
cho~ kakkoii

It is just too early to expect any sub. Even if a subber started working on the episode right after they got their raws, only a very organize group of subbers will manage 10-12 hours sub after the existence of any RAWs. Since this show is no Naruto, I'm not expecting any sub that soon.

Screencap for Episode 1: For those who might have missed out on the screencap provided by Toua. Resolution for my raw is also 1280x720 which makes things look pretty. Anyway, I agree with the observation that the episode itself is kind of slow. I'm expecting as such since the number of total episode exceeds 50! The development of the story should take a bit more time since time is a plenty for the series.

monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 18:37   Link #34
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
It is just too early to expect any sub. Even if a subber started working on the episode right after they got their raws, only a very organize group of subbers will manage 10-12 hours sub after the existence of any RAWs. Since this show is no Naruto, I'm not expecting any sub that soon.
I'm just a little worried by the fact that no one seems to have even announced that they'll pick up the show, even post-airing. I know we wouldn't have a quality sub for a few days after the raw drops, but the lack of interest is somewhat disturbing.

EDIT:

Evidently I should read the thread more :P :

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekodar View Post
Being a World Masterpiece Theater series, it's likely it's really going to be 52 eps.
The only place I've seen the episode count is on moonphase, but I didn't go look for the source for that.

Personally I'm really interested in this show, and assuming I can sign up a translator, I plan to work on it.
So yay, we have a subber but goddammit I can't translate for beans. My vocabulary is nowhere near good enough to even think about tackling something of this complexity.
Old 2007-01-08, 01:21   Link #35
DaigoMadoka

Quote:
Actually, looking at the website, they seem to be attempting to be very, very faithful to the descriptions in the book.
I don't remember Cossette being a Shoujo/lolicon bait at all.
But I've only read the book for a bit, and really should continue, but from what little I know, Cossette really has been changed apperance-wise...guess it's because the Japanese really, really like their women, regradless of age. >>;
DaigoMadoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 02:48   Link #36
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaigoMadoka View Post
I don't remember Cossette being a Shoujo/lolicon bait at all.
Really? I mean, obviously "lolicon" as we know it today didn't exist in 1862, and "moé" as we know the word had not come into use even in Japan. However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Miserables, Part One, Book Four, Chapter I
... The child was the most enchanting creature imaginable, a little girl between two and three, the prettiness of whose attire matched that if the innkeeper's children. She wore a linen bonnet trimmed with Valenciennes lace, and a ribboned frock whose rumpled skirt disclosed a firm white dimpled thigh. She was apple-cheeked, pink, and healthy. [...]

The child opened wide eyes as blue as her mother's and gazing at the world saw what? - nothing and everything, with that intent sometimes stern expression of small children which is among the marvels of their shining innocence in contrast to our own sullied virtues. It is as though they know themselves to be angels and the rest of us only human. Then she laughed and, although her mother tried to restrain her, wriggled free with the irresistible vigour of a child who wants to be on the move. Seeing the other children on their swing she stopped short and put out her tongue in token of delight.

They didn't have the word "moé" in 1862. But as I've said elsewhere, Cosette as presented in the book is as "Victorian moé" a character as you'll ever encounter and, viewing the story though an anime lens, her appearance makes a ton of sense. The only thing they really changed was her hair color to link her to her mother (since there's a decent chance we'll never even see her father in this series; heck, whenever I read the story I was always like "Why the Christ didn't Hugo just give Cosette blonde hair? No other major female character, aside from Fantine, has it." )

Otherwise, she's a faithful interpretation of the character, in anime style.
Old 2007-01-08, 05:08   Link #37
Southern Cross
Crux

Quote:
I'm just a little worried by the fact that no one seems to have even announced that they'll pick up the show, even post-airing. I know we wouldn't have a quality sub for a few days after the raw drops, but the lack of interest is somewhat disturbing.

EDIT:

Evidently I should read the thread more :P :

So yay, we have a subber but goddammit I can't translate for beans. My vocabulary is nowhere near good enough to even think about tackling something of this complexity.
Ah, a shame I'm a victim of the "ignorance of fellow Americans" to not be able to watch and fully understand these raws, I guess one day I'll get aside from life to try and teach myself Japanese (of course just the oral aspects of it, I don't think I'd want to tackle kanji alone xD), but that itself sounds quite laughable.

Anyway, at least having a backbone with Western literature, I find the unfortunate truth of the disregard of Les Misérables as the lack of patience in the majority of the typical reader nowadays, and therefore either the lack of awareness of the basic facts of Les Misérables or the fear of confuseness the ignorant mind believes it would face in tackling it is the major flaw. xP

I'm sure if they try hard enough in the East, though, they'll be able to identify it better than how we've tried in books, because I guess the method doesn't work anymore for the common person.

I've read it though, and it's really what got me to divulge into deep topics about the slice of life it had in sync with the state of society then, and I really hope that someone can utterly destroy the sad truths I'm forced to lean on and actually get some fansubs going. xD
Southern Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 05:23   Link #38
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Ok see it
Spoiler:
Old 2007-01-08, 05:29   Link #39
Southern Cross
Crux

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiKyo View Post
Ok see it
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Southern Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-08, 06:42   Link #40
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Just saw it. Not bad. Slice-of-life-esque and I don't mind that one bit. 52eps is waaay too long for me though. I'm the type to get very sympathetic towards characters so I wouldn't be suprised if I ended up waiting and tanking the show when there's nothing else to watch because I just know I'll want to strangle anyone who mistreats Cosette in four or five episodes from now.

I've never read the book or seen any intepretations but I have read several excerpts from when I was in college.

IchiKyo - I'd find it very interresting to hear a frenchman's view of their impression of old France. Once the series is a bit further along I'd like to know if the setting fits the history.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, historical