AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-04-18, 04:31   Link #841
raziel666
Cogito, Ergo Sum
*Fansubber

The blu-ray came out in Japan today! Makes the DVD of the movie look so bad...
Ergo Proxy
The Agent Of Death
raziel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 15:28   Link #842
tresor

Makoto Shinkai Fan Web updated today

2008/4/18 12:07:00 PM ANCHORAGE AK US Arrival Scan
I'll receive my Blue Ray copies manana of Beyond the Clouds & 5cm/sec, allegedly.

I think 2 things I keep in the back of mind of the above recent comments is this:
Joe Morgan of ESPN stated something like this ~ People talk about someone reaching there potential, but I feel what you already see is that person's potential already met... So I would not expect much more on the exposition or whatever.

The other thing is that where there's smoke there's fire, and I think there is a lot of that in 3 stories that I think try to resolve to the best of that person's ability, see previous paragraph, which I find personally interesting.

And where does this person go next? When, not will, "Akari" contact next. How does the wife figure in the current travels?*

Plus I got a great quote from a woman I know a couple days ago about a un-related similar: "Why do men place importance on someone so unworthy?"

Looks like my implied prediction of the artbook came true.

*Or do you believe in coincidence, I watch the NBC news with Brian Williams which is sponsored by a series of Smucker's commercials with this same end theme.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azym_xrJ5Bg

Pretty funny, eh.

P.S. xCOMP thank you, for the great novel translations + the link for the art book which I just bought.
In exchange here is 1 for you SMS/instant messaging etc. is used by married women, it might help w/ the mystery.

I saw the ADV trailer for 5cm a while ago and I thought it blew.

Last edited by tresor; 2008-04-20 at 16:06. Reason: thank you xcomp
tresor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 17:31   Link #843
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

^^ i have no idea what your main post is talking about...

anyways, blu-ray for r1? or does the r2 version have subs, then i might import it
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 11:32   Link #844
arkxkra
全力全開

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy View Post
You know what needs to happen- someone needs to make a fanfiction of what happens after the movie. I want closure. I want an ending where Takaki meets Akari and they lived happily ever after. I don't care if it ruins the movie, the story or each character's personality. I want it to happen just because I want it to.

Dang it. I want to be able to return to my own little world, or to my own little fantasy every night- that miracles in life happen and that true love never dies.

http://xcomprandomness.co.uk/2008/02...5-centimeters/
K for Z3120, you probably read that already but it has the last 2 letters that they didn't send to each other.
thx for the link, if the 2 love letter have exchange then will be diffrent story(maybe), a choice will make a big diffrence, but I love this movie, I hope i can read japanese and read the novel.

oh yea, btw, the blue ray version is like normal DVD version or the limited DVD version? (I mean those thing include insided). Anyone know?

Last edited by arkxkra; 2008-04-25 at 12:16.
arkxkra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 17:24   Link #845
cheung

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkxkra View Post
oh yea, btw, the blue ray version is like normal DVD version or the limited DVD version? (I mean those thing include insided). Anyone know?
Normal DVD version. Comes with 5cm/s preview, eyecatch, music video, movie and interview(i think...).

Waiting for a blu-ray-limited-edition-region-2-version to come out. Ha, as if
cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 20:09   Link #846
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

DVDpacific shipped my copy (DVD) ... I'll let someone play "early adopter" with blue-ray for a year or so
Old 2008-04-27, 20:01   Link #847
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

any news of a r1 blu-ray release?
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 20:08   Link #848
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
any news of a r1 blu-ray release?
Seconded.

This I need.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 13:38   Link #849
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Today I was just window shopping at my local HMV when I saw this title at a ridiculously awesome bargain price. After hearing rave reviews and stunned by the screenshots that I've seen, I decide this to be the first DVD I would buy to test out my PC's DVD player.

It was the right decision for me to buy that, after popping in the DVD and clicking play, I think I stopped breathing for the next hour or so, I struggled to pick my jaw up from the ground afterwards while also feeling emotionally knackered by the story.

Easily the best 60+ minutes I've ever spent watching anime on a DVD.

I'm amazed that I managed to not pick up this earlier. Shinkai Makoto, I'll definitely pay attention to this very humble genius from now on. (He certainly looked very humble and friendly in the DVD interview segment)

Also thanks to all those 43 pages of comments (no thanks to the emo-sounding newbies though, who just come in and say "worst movie ever" or "this ending is ghey"), which I find useful in interpreting the ending. I'm of the belief that Takaki, after clinging on to that love that just gradually wore off by the distance and time, finally accepted his fate and move on.

Just after I watched this then I hear there's a Blu-Ray version. Though I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet anyway.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 18:16   Link #850
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
DVDpacific shipped my copy (DVD) ... I'll let someone play "early adopter" with blue-ray for a year or so
Early Adopter here! My Blu-Ray copy of Byousoku 5cm arrived two days ago. Quality is absolutely stunning. If you understand japanese enough and don't need to wait for a subtitled release, I absolutely suggest to import it. Not to mention that despite being of a different region (Blu-Ray have a different region encode than DVDs), it can be played on a PAL PS3 without any problem. It makes me suppose there's no region-lock on it.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 02:27   Link #851
Fweakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltakano View Post
I'm actually quite surprised that people are writing walls of text due to the "lack of closure." I thought 5cm/s was a great since it showed how life just goes on and there are no sudden happy endings. I thought it was an extremely realistic anime since I have shared many of main character's feelings of distance and the disconnect after a few years. I guess many still want closure but in reality, there is never one.
I just watched this the other day (after hearing so much about it) and I am really glad I picked it up. It was one of those anime that had that melancholic feel the entire way through it, even through the "happy" parts. Regardless of whether Takaki moved on or was still stuck in the same circle, the end result is the same; the boy doesn't get the girl.

I guess to those who watch anime purely for escapism (eg. fluffy baby animals, rainbows and sunshine, happy endings) then this movie would reeeeeeaaaaalllly suck, but for those that can also enjoy anime for its ability to reflect on real life and the issues at hand, this would surely have to rank up there. In real life, sometimes good guys lose, mistakes are made and people get hurt. That's why I like this anime.
Fweakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 12:46   Link #852
FuzzyWuzzy

Whether you guys know it or not, believe it or not, deny it or not, realize it or not but we all watch anime, live action movies, tv and even read a book to escape reality. The moment you go to a theater to watch a movie, and sat on that chair while the movie starts, you have already fled reality. For that 1-2 hour you watch a movie, or 5-10 minutes you are watching a tv series, you are no longer in your own reality. The only way most of you guys can feel (ASAP) the tragedy of a king, the lost of a true love, glory of a hero, fear of a victim, etc is to escape reality. Reality isn't going to offer you guys those emotions instantly and reality probably never will. So we all have to resort to story telling and we can have an idea on how it feels to feel those emotions based on the how good the story teller is.

After saying all of that, 5cm is still a great movie. I liked it from beginning till end. However, I'm a big sucker for happy endings and closure. I would love to have this movie to have closure even if it's a sad one or a happy ending or even a hint of a happy ending that they will both be together. These changes may ruin the movie, it may make it better or it won't do anything. It all depends on the viewer and how shinkai delivers it. Saying that the movie will suck, be more amazing or will be the same after the ending changes is purely speculations.

To the person above my post, you cannot say "the boy doesn't get the girl". Saying that means this movie has closure which it doesn't. You don't know whether they meet again or not. The movie doesn't clearly show or confirm that. They may give hints of it but they also give hints that they may see each other again. The story stopped in the middle, and left people hanging to come up with their own conclusions. Saying that the boy doesn't get the girl is your own conclusion but the movie definitely doesn't confirm it.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 15:00   Link #853
cheung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Today I was just window shopping at my local HMV when I saw this title at a ridiculously awesome bargain price. After hearing rave reviews and stunned by the screenshots that I've seen, I decide this to be the first DVD I would buy to test out my PC's DVD player.

It was the right decision for me to buy that, after popping in the DVD and clicking play, I think I stopped breathing for the next hour or so, I struggled to pick my jaw up from the ground afterwards while also feeling emotionally knackered by the story.
WHAT! Are you talking about HMVs in england? It isn't on their website and I know it's not out in the UK yet. Which HMV did you buy it from?
Old 2008-05-04, 15:12   Link #854
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheung View Post
WHAT! Are you talking about HMVs in england? It isn't on their website and I know it's not out in the UK yet. Which HMV did you buy it from?
I'm pretty sure they have HMV's outside of the UK, though probably not in the US.
I pass by them often in Canada, which is also in R1, so it was probably there. (Sorry. )

Of course, I could be wrong.
Old 2008-05-05, 08:19   Link #855
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Early Adopter here! My Blu-Ray copy of Byousoku 5cm arrived two days ago. Quality is absolutely stunning. If you understand japanese enough and don't need to wait for a subtitled release, I absolutely suggest to import it. Not to mention that despite being of a different region (Blu-Ray have a different region encode than DVDs), it can be played on a PAL PS3 without any problem. It makes me suppose there's no region-lock on it.
Hard decision between this and the LE DVD actually when the Blu-ray version doesn't offer you a nice little booklet with one of the draft stories which could have been 5cm, the OST and a film strip.

After looking at this Japanese blog though, I might be tempted to get the Blu-ray version too when I have an HD setup going

Haven't had a chance to check yet but it talks about the following:
  • A more ambient glow in lighting.
  • More detail in the snow. You can see the 1px sized snow too now.
  • The quality of the paper is much more apparent.
  • The rays of light are also much more visible, even the small faint ones.
  • In the shop, you can see the goods clearly from the front of the shelves to all the way back.
  • You can see the 1px flies prancing about in the light.
  • You can see the water drops on the glass windows clearly.
  • Neon lights in the distance are visible.
  • You can almost read the text and handwriting in documents.
  • You can see the crystals making up the LCD on the mobile phones.
In other words, it's sharper and also shows how much detail Shinkai had put into this animated movie.

And those of you in the UK and don't know already, Makoto Shinkai will be present at the BFI Southbank London screening of 5cm on June 20th.

I don't know if I'm going but if I do, I'll bring the novel or artbook to try and get it signed
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 08:38   Link #856
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I can assure you that the HD version (Blu-ray, but I am sure the HD-DVD is just as good) is really good, quality-wise. Sure, it doesn't have a lot of extra stuff like a Limited Edition could have, but Shinkai and High-Definition make a good combination.
I imported it because I wasn't sure of how soon I'd see a european release of the BR version, which would probably take a while to come out. That, and I could hardly wait.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 09:26   Link #857
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcomp View Post
And those of you in the UK and don't know already, Makoto Shinkai will be present at the BFI Southbank London screening of 5cm on June 20th.

I don't know if I'm going but if I do, I'll bring the novel or artbook to try and get it signed
NooooOOoooooOOOOoooooOOoo!!!!!!

*stabbitystab*

Dammit, I wonder if I can plan a holiday to London around then.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 09:30   Link #858
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:

Holy Sh*t!!
I actually might be in London around that time!
*checks schedule*

Damn, I miss it by two days.
Old 2008-05-05, 15:55   Link #859
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
I can assure you that the HD version (Blu-ray, but I am sure the HD-DVD is just as good) is really good, quality-wise. Sure, it doesn't have a lot of extra stuff like a Limited Edition could have, but Shinkai and High-Definition make a good combination.
I imported it because I wasn't sure of how soon I'd see a european release of the BR version, which would probably take a while to come out. That, and I could hardly wait.
I don't doubt that one bit

But besides the sharper, cleaner looking images, did you notice any of the extra detail that you couldn't from the DVD like from the list above?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Dammit, I wonder if I can plan a holiday to London around then.
Wouldn't it be better if you just saved up for a trip to Japan and meet him there instead? Then you can visit Japan at the same time
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 16:30   Link #860
cheung

Quote:

*explodes* i'm going to buy the artbook just to get it signed I can't believe he's coming to London. That's fantastic.
thanks Xcomp, if it wasn't for you, i wouldn't have known anything about 5cm/s apart from the movie. I'll pay you back someday, maybe a pint after the screening in london?

Tags
coming of age, drama, romance, shinkai