AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-07-03, 16:13   Link #681
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well if Blue Rose is 18 yo, then she can do just about anything with Wild Tiger and it's okay. Maybe that's why we have a 10 month time skip.

Hope Wild Tiger's evolution or 2nd mutation isn't too damaging to his body.
Old 2011-07-03, 16:52   Link #682
MeggieMay

I have to say I also had the thought of a Next version of menopause, when I saw Tigers power burst/loss of time issues this episode. It's never been stated to be the reason people stop the Hero game, however, and powers ending isn't something that's ever been brought up, either. It also could be just what Tiger said - a new mutation but I would think he would/should be worried about that and hopefully does some research on the issue on the side. I was also worried about his eye color change and the fact he was acting like he was high. The latter probably was what happened - the power up seems to have affected him like getting high, at least this first time. The color change is worrisome because we've always seen that color associated with the "baddies." It could be the color really means multiple powers or unstable powers, instead of "bad Next," but it isn't clear what is going on here just yet. I just hope Bunny and/or Blue Rose took note in the back of their minds at what Tiger was trying to tell them about the incident - I think Tigers about to have really bad problem with his powers at the exact wrong time .
MeggieMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 18:08   Link #683
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Such heated discussion. How about you guys cool it off ...

With some Pepsi?

Anyho, it's fairly clear that the OTP here has been resolved with Tiger & Bunny clearly doing the other and being all Husbendo with each other and being ''partners'' and stuff and understanding the others thoughts, and also the animators give us the visual cue of Tiger eating a banana. Hell, he even eats a CG banana, which clearly mean that they had don---

Oh right, that's why I'm not allowed to to talk about shipping any longer.

Any way to the actual episode. I find myself feeling cold towards Blue Rose centric episodes (get it? It's funny cause ...! yeah I'll leave the bad puns to you Kaioshin ) but it was pretty fun nonetheless. Seeing how the team had grown stronger (in both their partnership and rankings, seriously, first and forth place? Woah, way to go guys) though I'm sad that Sky High is no longer the King of Heros, but eh that okay right?

Bunny's storyline seems to still be ongoing, as he still hadn't found out more about the real reasons behind his parents death, which is good since it allows for it to tie nicely when Lunatic gets to go on a rampage.

The highlight of this episode was Blue Rose getting to realize her feelings for Tiger. Now maybe it's cause I'm a CLAMP fag aren't really creeped out by the age difference (well, the fact that he has a ten year old is pretty iffy) that I think that it could very well be possible that they might end together, though I wouldn't hold my breath on it at the moment since it's pretty one sided and appears more like a crush more than anything.

By the way, I had rewatched the new OP a bit more since, and I'm now more certain that the hand going through Tigers iPhone has to be his daughter's which means that her stopping at Bunny's picture can only mean we have far creepier romances to discuses down the line!

Gee, I went back to shipping. Well anyway, next episode is Sky High falling in lo ... ve ...

Looks like I can't run away from shipping in this show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggieMay View Post
It's never been stated to be the reason people stop the Hero game, however, and powers ending isn't something that's ever been brought up, either.
No, but didn't Tiger bring up the possibility he want to retire this episode? Could be that he takes to be with his daughter more.
Old 2011-07-03, 18:23   Link #684
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

A fun episode, but the animation "quality" in the first half was just horrible. T&B is pretty successful, I wish they'd sink more money into the production. Although maybe the fact that it is selling well means they feel they don't need to.

Anyway, I like the new OP and ED. If only the animation quality during the episodes could be that level (yes, I know the OP/ED animation is always going to be higher quality, but the difference in T&B is huge).

Rock Bison was interesting this episode. I know he's buds with Kotetsu, but his comment about coming to see him dance? I hope he was there to laugh at him and there's not any romantic undertones (from RB, since Kotetsu seems oblivious to everyone who might be interested in him) going on there.

So next episode focuses on Sky High. I assume we will also get episodes for RB and Fire Emblem eventually too.

And on the opening, I also thought the sequence with the iPhone was Kotetsu's daughter. Nothing wrong with her crushing on a hero like Barnaby (the opposite would obviously be a problem). I hope it happens because the reaction from Kotetsu would undoubtedly be awesome. As for Blue Rose's crush, while it's cute it would be better if she gets over it eventually and moves on.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 19:51   Link #685
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't know how old she is, but she's still in high school. Thus, squicky. Following the age/2 + 7 rule, in ten years or so, it won't be any more (if he's 32 and she's 18, for example).
Again different preferences for different cultures. Sometimes girls in high schools in japan will have older men that their parents have arranged for them to marry. And with the legal age of 16 for consent in japan, sometimes relationships can get even more squickish, so the fact that she's 18 compared to 15-16 makes it A LOT easier of a pill to swallow. And she's only in high school for another year at the most, so if she can go an entire 10 months and STILL have feelings for him, another year of waiting shouldn't be so hard.

Quote:
And yes, I know that it isn't unheard of in anime for a teacher to fall in love with his elementary school student. Still squicky.
Well its personal preference, and I can understand where you come from. But for me personally, because she's 18 and completely legal and marriage ready compared to 15-16 like some hentai likes to create, It gets a pass for me.

Quote:
He still doesn't have anything, unless they're in the hero biz, like Agnes or the Girl Power trio...
But because this is still a job, Its possible to see better income for better results. Not sure how deep in "business" this goes, but the trading cards is a good example. If he received a percentage profit for every card sold, then someone like Sky High made way more money than him, compared to Kotetsu who was dead last.

Quote:
I don't really remember him struggling financially. He was on thin ice and in danger of losing his job, but it's not like said job wasn't paying the bills. (As long as he had it.)
He was on the verge of struggling BECAUSE he was on the verge of getting fired. Lets be honest, him teaming up with Bunny REALLY saved his ass, cause he would have definitely been out of a job otherwise, and then thats where the REAL struggle would have taken place. And with these promotions, interviews, songs and other things he's into now, it seems likely that he sees more income than he did pre-Barnaby days.

Quote:
And his problems with his daughter are probably unchanged: he pours his life into his hero job, which makes him too busy to see her, and she doesn't even know what he's doing. He could afford to take days off, but he could do that before - he just wouldn't do it unless ordered to. (And now, Lloyd isn't in position to order him to do anything... )
This I completely agree, and I have a feeling this will be part of the deciding factor on how the Kotetsu X Karina pairing will play out. Imagine if she gets to know his daughter and they bond, that makes the possible relationship so much easier, and Kotetsu seeing her as a good woman figure will definitely give her some points in her favor.

Quote:
In Japan, she's still too young to drink. In the US too, for that matter. And I think he'd feel less threatened by a young girl than by a woman.
You can go for a drink without drinking liquor. Remember in that lounge she worked at, we saw her drinking some kind of drink. Going out for the drink would be for more social connection more so than alcohol consumption.
Tenchi Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 20:28   Link #686
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So, 10 months have passed. Barnaby is deredere for Kotetsu now, Blue Rose is fully tsundere. Rock Bison is a bottom feeder, and Tiger has super-seiyan powers that run out early (Jake possessing him?). Very eventful.

I just don't see Kotestsu pursuing anything with Blue Rose. He's probably in his late 30's, and she's still in high-school. He's far too decent a person to find that acceptable. Flattering and cute, but not acceptable. He'll let her down easy.

But I will say, his hideous attempt to do the robot is everything that's so great about this character.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 20:54   Link #687
ReddyRedWolf

I'm just going to point out at the start of the series Karina is 16 years old. With the 10 month time skip 17 years old at most.

In the years since his wife's death he has not sought a relationship with another woman. Devoting his energies as a father, a hero and as a mentor to the younger heroes.

That's how Kotetsu sees Karina. A substitute daughter and a student. Sooner or later Kotetsu is going to retire and he going to leave the hero-ing to the younger kids.

I can see Kotetsu retiring as a teacher at Hero Academy.

Last edited by ReddyRedWolf; 2011-07-03 at 21:18.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 21:02   Link #688
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Actually, for those who think Karina buddying with Kotetsu's daughter will give her a fighting chance, I beg to differ. In fact, it may well backfire in her face. If she does get close to his daughter, it may just solidify in his mind that she is another 'adopted' kid and think of them as sisters. Not only that but if his daughter is shrewd enough, she may wise up to Karina's true motives and be against the whole thing.

And although the age thing is a part of why I think any relationship between them is skwicky, their current relationship is another factor that makes it uneasy for me. He is to her a mentor, teacher and surrogate father. To go from that to a romance would make it feel ick not only to me but possibly Kotetsu himself.

Also, I love the reversal of the "You can quit" running gag in this episode.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 21:29   Link #689
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

I don't get where people get the "father figure" and "mentor" images from. She NEVER has seen him as a father figure (she has a good father who loves her dearly already BTW), and no where is it stated he was a mentor or we've seen him trying to be a mentor. Everytime they talked, it was simply just friends talking to one another. A lot of people who felt a "family relationship" looked too deeply into what's really there. All there is Kotetsu helping another one of his friends when she was down in the dumps, what he's known for.

You're making yourself see more ick than what's really even there, and its really not any IMO.
Old 2011-07-03, 21:36   Link #690
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Ryu View Post
I don't get where people get the "father figure" and "mentor" images from. She NEVER has seen him as a father figure (she has a good father who loves her dearly already BTW), and no where is it stated he was a mentor or we've seen him trying to be a mentor. Everytime they talked, it was simply just friends talking to one another. A lot of people who felt a "family relationship" looked too deeply into what's really there. All there is Kotetsu helping another one of his friends when she was down in the dumps, what he's known for.

You're making yourself see more ick than what's really even there, and its really not any IMO.
I never said that's what she thought of him. We know what she thinks of him. I'm thinking about what He thinks of HER. A relationship is a two way street. She can pine for him all she wants but if he doesn't feel the same, nothing will happen. My opinion (and from what I've seen the opinion of many here and if it isn't I'm talking out of my butt) is that he sees her as a surrogate daughter. In fact, he's treated all of the younger heroes as such. When he does find out about the crush, it'll throw him for a loop and if any romantic relationship does occur, he has to radically change the way he thinks of her.
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 21:49   Link #691
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
I never said that's what she thought of him. We know what she thinks of him. I'm thinking about what He thinks of HER. A relationship is a two way street. She can pine for him all she wants but if he doesn't feel the same, nothing will happen. My opinion (and from what I've seen the opinion of many here and if it isn't I'm talking out of my butt) is that he sees her as a surrogate daughter. In fact, he's treated all of the younger heroes as such. When he does find out about the crush, it'll throw him for a loop and if any romantic relationship does occur, he has to radically change the way he thinks of her.
I know you didn't, I was referring to people in general on this website and other sites.

And I agree and have been saying the whole time the way this turns out will all be on Kotetsu. The thing that's really in Karina's favor is that Kotetsu isn't really that close to her for the most part compared to how close he is to Barnaby and Rock. This could be a similar situation that you always see in anime, where the main character starts to see that person who they thought was just a friend as a woman, and it DOES radically change his views of her. People also have to understand that Kotetsu expects Karina to think he's too old for her, and doesn't know the truth, this could also effect how he will later see her as a woman knowing she DOES like him.

Another question that can be asked is this: How could him starting a relationship with her cause any problems where it would make him not want to do it?

The only kind of answer I can come up with is his daughter not agreeing, and future episodes should explain how she would feel about it.

And lets do some math about Kotetsu's age. He has a 9 year old daughter, and has been a hero for 10 years. He met his wife in High school. And we also see that MANY of the Heroes start their careers IN high school or fresh out of high school So its ENTIRELY possible that he could infact be only 28-29. Everyone so far has ASSUMED he's in his late 30's, but no where has stated this, and personally he doesn't look that old. IMO its the beard thats throwing you off lol.

The SuperHero world could be like the professional sports world, once you hit 30, you're old as dirt.

Last edited by Tenchi Ryu; 2011-07-03 at 21:59.
Old 2011-07-03, 22:02   Link #692
TrueKnight

Lets face it. Right now Karina is still immature. Having tutored bunch of higschool girls myself in real life, girls at her age tends to be uncertain about liking a guy for a longtime partner material until they're old enough, around 21-23 or so or maybe even 25. Currently she's having a crush and first love against a guy who's hardly gotten over his late wife....She may like him but it's not the same way around with Kotetsu. Judging his personality I imagine him being a hermit until old remaining faithful to his wife and he's got hero job and a daugther to take care and all.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 22:18   Link #693
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
Lets face it. Right now Karina is still immature. Having tutored bunch of higschool girls myself in real life, girls at her age tends to be uncertain about liking a guy for a longtime partner material until they're old enough, around 21-23 or so or maybe even 25. Currently she's having a crush and first love against a guy who's hardly gotten over his late wife....She may like him but it's not the same way around with Kotetsu. Judging his personality I imagine him being a hermit until old remaining faithful to his wife and he's got hero job and a daugther to take care and all.
True, but this is anime lol. The same type of media where a guy meets a girl at age 3, reunites with her at 16, and they wind up married with children, so anything is possible in anime.

I think this is more than a crush because usually with a crush, you think about little things like looks, appearance, etc. She didn't even know why she felt that way. But she's done more than what would be considered as just a crush. She's worries about him, saved him that time, and constantly complains when he does something wrong.

I think the fact that she is attracted to him is a sign she IS maturing. Most young women would flock to Sky High or Barnaby. Attractive, popular, and a public figure, now thats a crush. She instead likes Kotetsu for the inner qualities, qualities that would make an ideal spouse, and I see that as a sign of her maturing compared to her previous nature of not caring about the other Heroes in a personal way.

On her part, her feelings are genuine love. Like I said, its all on what Kotetsu would do.

Kotetsu never has shown signs of "can't let go", its just his life sucked and couldn't get a break, which is different now and has time to invest in a relationship now.
Old 2011-07-03, 22:27   Link #694
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
Sounds like a ymmv statement from my perspective. That's a traditional view of 17 yos and not a current view. Add in a cultural difference (This is the country with compensated dating after all.) and you could be off base a wee bit. Obviously, they can go forward with developing Tiger and Blue Rose cause the culture would have no problems with it. In comparison with what's happening in Ro-Kyu-bo!, this is a walk in the park.

Also, how do you know he hasn't gotten over his dead wife yet? He's practically living a bachelor's life. The kid's with his mother. He's got an apartment to himself. He goes out to bars with the guys after work. The only element left is a gf. The only problem is his work schedule is not giving him too many chances for quality time. So Blue Rose has access to her advantage and she understands when he gets called away. Plus, she prob has money too so she's basically an equal in the relationship.

It would be like an anime version of "The Incredibles" without the kids.
Old 2011-07-03, 22:38   Link #695
Tenchi Ryu
True Harem End or BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Sounds like a ymmv statement from my perspective. That's a traditional view of 17 yos and not a current view. Add in a cultural difference (This is the country with compensated dating after all.) and you could be off base a wee bit. Obviously, they can go forward with developing Tiger and Blue Rose cause the culture would have no problems with it. In comparison with what's happening in Ro-Kyu-bo!, this is a walk in the park.

Also, how do you know he hasn't gotten over his dead wife yet? He's practically living a bachelor's life. The kid's with his mother. He's got an apartment to himself. He goes out to bars with the guys after work. The only element left is a gf. The only problem is his work schedule is not giving him too many chances for quality time. So Blue Rose has access to her advantage and she understands when he gets called away. Plus, she prob has money too so she's basically an equal in the relationship.

It would be like an anime version of "The Incredibles" without the kids.
Can't really add nothing to this....pretty much my thoughts exactly
Old 2011-07-03, 22:41   Link #696
deadite

Ironic how Sunrise didn't expect it to succeed and doesn't want it to succeed but here we are. They kind of feel that they can't handle this sleeper hit.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-03, 23:39   Link #697
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
Ironic how Sunrise didn't expect it to succeed and doesn't want it to succeed but here we are. They kind of feel that they can't handle this sleeper hit.
Spoiler for T&B crew rubbing it in.:
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 00:19   Link #698
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
By the way, I had rewatched the new OP a bit more since, and I'm now more certain that the hand going through Tigers iPhone has to be his daughter's which means that her stopping at Bunny's picture can only mean we have far creepier romances to discuses down the line!
I don't think it's about romance. It's about the daughter learning her dad's Wild Tiger. (Barnaby doesn't have a secret identity, after all. Though she ought to recognize her dad from the beard and voice and hat...)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 00:37   Link #699
BigFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Ryu View Post
Spoiler for episode 14:
Though it's a bit odd that the new OP features Tiger & Barnaby's boss Alexander Lloyd, but not his boss Albert Maverick, the guy who's really in charge during the whole Ouroboros hostage situation. And many of us still firmly believe that
Spoiler:
BigFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-04, 00:43   Link #700
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't think it's about romance. It's about the daughter learning her dad's Wild Tiger.
Precisely.

How is Kotetsu going to explain to his daughter that he got close enough to the famous super hero Bunny to get a great profile pic like that?

If his daughter has any brains at all, she'll likely suspect that her dad works with Bunny, and from there, it's only a small leap to determining that her dad is Wild Tiger.

Tags
mecha, sunrise, tiger & bunny, tsundere